Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Terper posted:

It's Zero and CS4 :ssh:

Welp, forgot about that one. Crazy to think that we might get two translations of Zero in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've only played it once so far, but my gut instinct is that CS3 is the weakest of the CS games, but largely because it's so incredibly clearly a set up for CS4. The new characters are good to great, except Kurt who in defense, is just bland and has a cool mom. The original Class VII universally feels more adult and competent than they did before. However, I completely disagree with calling it an ensemble game compared to CS2. The flipside of so many characters is its heartbreaking how little you actually use of them. And unlike CS2 where every single character had a specific quest and just a little bit more story advancement....... we get some lopsided focus.

Brave Orders are fun, but nowhere near as fun as Overdrives were. 2 > 1 > 3

Rean angrily screams a line about 40-50 hours into the game that I've wanted someone to since the climax of CS2.

EDIT
Any news on if they're gonna add some voice clips to the PC version?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 18, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The ensemble isn't the old Class VII. It's the new Class VII. They all actually do things independently of Rean, and a couple of them are almost co-leads in certain chapters.

Anyway, my rating is 3 > 1 > 2.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Rean angrily screams a line about 40-50 hours into the game that I've wanted someone to since the climax of CS2.

It is a very good line read too.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

is it "TIME TO STOP HOLDING BACK"

I will also accept "I'M NOT DATING MY SISTER"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"IT'S MY TURN!"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT
Any news on if they're gonna add some voice clips to the PC version?

I doubt they will in the initial release, if they were, why not mention that as a new feature? It's technically possible that there might be a DLC or free patch later... but I think it's unlikely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Didn't that only happen with CS1 and 2 because XSEED had budgeted to license the Japanese voices then wasn't able to?

It was something like that where they ended up significantly under budget so they used some of it for VA.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

is it "TIME TO STOP HOLDING BACK"

I will also accept "I'M NOT DATING MY SISTER"

I'm guessing it's What even IS the Phantasmal Blaze plan ? although that one was more at the 110 hours mark for me so it's probably something else.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys VIII spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m28ZYeAeos0

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Death Priest posted:

I'm guessing it's What even IS the Phantasmal Blaze plan ? although that one was more at the 110 hours mark for me so it's probably something else.

It's this. But I double checked my clear data and my estimate is way off. Probably around 60-70 hours? It took me 82 for the game, so it's hard to estimate.

EDIT

I think this game is going to go up in my estimation looking back on it. I laughed out loud a few times (one or two things still give me the giggles every time I think about it), I applauded twice, and I also actually gasped at something completely unexpected a character did (probably not the one you think it is), and there's another couple of scenes that, while they don't meet these descriptions, have a lot of raw emotional weight.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
82 hours, is this NPC talk spamming that's inflating these numbers again, or is it actually long this time?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd guess it's around the same length as CS1 overall. Took me over 130 but I've also talked to everyone at every opportunity and play games kinda slow in general.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah I finished a reasonably complete file in about 56 hours. Playtime inflates *a lot* with trying to talk to everyone at all times.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i talk to everyone with a journal entry at all times and it doesn't really inflate playtime by that much. maybe if you also talk to all the random townspeople in the outlying towns and such.

i think whether you fight every monster you encounter or run past a lot of stuff in fields/dungeons is a bigger factor, also whether you go for all the side path chests or not.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd guess it's around the same length as CS1 overall. Took me over 130 but I've also talked to everyone at every opportunity and play games kinda slow in general.

Sounds like me. I'm also really terrible at finding book-giving npcs and I don't use guides on a first playthrough so that adds up quickly. I took 126 hours on my first playthrough. My second one is not yet done but it's going to be around 50-60 hours.

edit: I'm talking about CS3. My first CS1 playthrough was around 90 hours.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 19, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I also never preemptively skip VA. So if a line is voiced, I play it out.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I play the games at high speed mode at all times, and I still put 40-50 hours in both CS1 and 2.

I love that Juna has two different VAs at random times. Thanks NIS!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I hope Ys 9 gets localized/ported/etc soon. :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Cold Steel series has resulted in some amazing blood lust while I play.

Please, game. I want to kill at least one boss at this point. This is beyond absurd.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I will play the next Cold Steel games with voice acting turned off if possible because I think it makes the games worse

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can't stop you, but I also can't understand you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
me, listening to the duvalie's lovely voice
"i am crying tears of happiness listening to this, i will never be able to complete the game at this rate, i can only turn the voices off to get through this"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play in Japanese and skip as soon as I've read the text

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Snooze Cruise posted:

me, listening to the duvalie's lovely voice
"i am crying tears of happiness listening to this, i will never be able to complete the game at this rate, i can only turn the voices off to get through this"

stop making fun of me :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I never read dialogue, or listen to voices

why are all these schoolkids always so violent anyway, what must their parents think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

The Cold Steel series has resulted in some amazing blood lust while I play.

Please, game. I want to kill at least one boss at this point. This is beyond absurd.

this is why i prefer ys' plotting

every game has a handful of core recurring characters, the side cast says their goodbyes, and the bad guys get dead. with a sword. that you are swinging.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah, the lack of "mwahaha I win anyways because I am evil" in Ys has always been a point in its favor in my eyes. Trails, on the other hand, I just can't get into. I feel like I'm missing something with TitS because I got a couple hours in maybe and just dropped it out of boredom. Is there a specific point where it gets good that I should power through to, or is Trails just not for me?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the first Sky game is an extremely slow burn, it takes like 20 hours of gradual world building before the plot really emerges in full.

the whole series is like that really though Cold Steel gets you doing stuff a bit faster i think.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

unimportantguy posted:

Yeah, the lack of "mwahaha I win anyways because I am evil" in Ys has always been a point in its favor in my eyes. Trails, on the other hand, I just can't get into. I feel like I'm missing something with TitS because I got a couple hours in maybe and just dropped it out of boredom. Is there a specific point where it gets good that I should power through to, or is Trails just not for me?

Trails in the Sky is a slow burn which doesn't really move fast until late in the game. It's to get you settled into the world and connected to the characters instead of dropping events of incredible importance on you from the start. Events of incredible importance do eventually come along, but if you're not interested in the characters or spending time with them, you probably won't have the patience to stick it out.

I almost want to say that the point at which you meet Olivier is the part which should either convince you to continue or drop it, but that's quite a few hours into the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I completely bounced off the series incredibly hard with TiTs 1 but I liked TiTs 2 and Cold Steel a lot. TiTs 1 is a slow burn compared to slow burns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Trails in the Sky is a slow burn which doesn't really move fast until late in the game. It's to get you settled into the world and connected to the characters instead of dropping events of incredible importance on you from the start. Events of incredible importance do eventually come along, but if you're not interested in the characters or spending time with them, you probably won't have the patience to stick it out.

I almost want to say that the point at which you meet Olivier is the part which should either convince you to continue or drop it, but that's quite a few hours into the game.

contrarywise, i've had the hot take that the first game and its languid pace is the best of the lot, because it's from the second one onward that the nigh-untouchable and omnipresent secret society shows up and begins haunting the plot from every game onward

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
on a different note i'll say that one of the few examples of a returning character in the Ys series is also one of its high points, namely in Ys 7

when Geis tries to unlock the power of the first dragon statue, finds that someone has beaten him to the punch, and basically says, "What kind of suicidal idiot would just march into a cave in the middle of nowhere and accept a mysterious power from...oh no. Oh no."

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Cold Steel 2 black record spoilers:

Somehow this twist doesn't surprise me too much since it seemed obvious from the get-go that Thomas was suspicious. Reminded me of Weissmann. Didn't expect Rosine to also be a part of this stuff. I'm also shocked something this seemingly important is only in new game+. This is important for CS3, right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Cold Steel 2 black record spoilers:

Somehow this twist doesn't surprise me too much since it seemed obvious from the get-go that Thomas was suspicious. Reminded me of Weissmann. Didn't expect Rosine to also be a part of this stuff. I'm also shocked something this seemingly important is only in new game+. This is important for CS3, right?

CS3 explicitly flashes back to those NG+ only scenes and expects you to have seen them lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh Trails FC is pretty typical JRPG length (around 40 hours for me), it's just that you can't tell when the prologue is gonna end instead of throwing one more task at you going blind and the overarching story gets revealed by tying together the various incidents lategame instead of it being your main driver.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

contrarywise, i've had the hot take that the first game and its languid pace is the best of the lot, because it's from the second one onward that the nigh-untouchable and omnipresent secret society shows up and begins haunting the plot from every game onward

I mean, only in that they're telling you they're around. They were certainly haunting the FC plot too. They just don't bother telling you about it til late.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the nigh-untouchable and omnipresent secret society are cool

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I agree with that, at least in part. The first Sky game started out slow and grounded, and the series quickly went into much more over-the-top stuff which really didn't seem to fit in with the world of Sky FC. One example which made me throw up my hands and go "WTF is this BS" was the part where (Sky SC late-game spoilers) someone shattered these gigantic, towering castle doors - meant as a defense against attack from loving tank shells - with a single blow with their bare hands..

Endorph posted:

the nigh-untouchable and omnipresent secret society are cool

They're boring because they're invincible villains with randomly fluctuating power levels depending entirely on whether the writers want the heroes to win or lose at that particular moment, and not on any other discernible criteria.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

unimportantguy posted:

I'll buck thread advice and tell you to give Cold Steel a crack if you can get it for cheap one day (or borrow it). Sky's battle system is kind of boring from Cold Steel's, and a lot of what's liked in these games is how detailed they are, where in between major enough plot points, almost every NPC you can talk to now has something different to say. So there's a lot of running back and forth that you can, to various degrees, ignore. But there are also a lot of encounters in the games, and the 3 Cold Steel games I've played are universally better than the three Sky games in combat system and how much fun you can have goofing around with it.

EDIT
The first couple of games, the bad guys do tend to win, though, or at least get away/are holding back/you need someone bigger and stronger than you to pull you out of the fire. The series tends to not have you definitively win against anyone until very late in the various arcs. And even then, they're very much against killing anyone, so if "putting the bad guys in the ground once and for all" is your thing, the series is definitively not for you.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Echoing the "Try Cold Steel anyway" sentiment. That was where I got hooked and eventually went back to Sky.