Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

oxsnard posted:

ok, so how were they able to release all those Parnas texts and documents then?

Discovery* from a court case

* may not be the right legal jargon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

That is the correct legal jargon. The Parnas texts & documents are materials that his attorney provided as part of discovery requests sent by the committee. Which kinda makes it funny because it suggests that these materials are what the legal team thinks is the least damaging.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 20, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

SubG posted:

Right now the DOJ is refusing to release documents involving Kushner (e.g. the Mueller 302s) as part of a FOIA request, despite being ordered to do so by court order.

So what's the next step there legally? Another lawsuit? Contempt of court?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Citizen Rat posted:

That is the correct legal jargon. The Parnas texts & documents are materials that his attorney provided as part of discovery requests sent by the committee. Which kinda makes it funny because it suggests that these materials are what the legal team things is the least damaging.

They think they're the least damaging to Parnas while being the most damaging to Trump. It's the other guy, Furman, who's not cooperating and remaining loyal to Trump.

Parnas, on the other hand, has a clear way to unfuck himself: get the democrats to give him use immunity in exchange for testifying. His extreme zeal for cooperation reflects the fact that he really wants to give them enough dirt they'll work with him.

e: oh hey, news about this

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1219366207188623361

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pander posted:

So what's the next step there legally? Another lawsuit? Contempt of court?

They're already being sued over this, you can follow Jason Leopold for more. It's all just about Mueller stuff that's largely unrelated to impeachment, though.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

eke out posted:

They think they're the least damaging to Parnas while being the most damaging to Trump. It's the other guy, Furman, who's not cooperating and remaining loyal to Trump.

Parnas, on the other hand, has a clear way to unfuck himself: get the democrats to give him use immunity in exchange for testifying. His extreme zeal for cooperation reflects the fact that he really wants to give them enough dirt they'll work with him.

e: oh hey, news about this

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1219366207188623361

True, good point. Especially in light of that article. Has there been any indication that democrats are willing to bite on that particular offer? I haven't spotted anything, but I've also not been reading for the tea leaves as it were.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1219371425607319554

i dont know how great their polling is but its encouraging. could be alot higher though.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont know how great their polling is but its encouraging. could be alot higher though.

538 Lists them as an A/B pollster. More importantly though, it's up from 45% from the same firm a month ado

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

538 Lists them as an A/B pollster. More importantly though, it's up from 45% from the same firm a month ado

thats good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Citizen Rat posted:

True, good point. Especially in light of that article. Has there been any indication that democrats are willing to bite on that particular offer? I haven't spotted anything, but I've also not been reading for the tea leaves as it were.

they've been in discussions but it's, at best, unclear whether they'll want him to testify, given how that testimony would hurt the DOJ's case against him in new york (probably)

but if they successfully convince the House that the DOJ is treating this as a political operation, refusing to work with them and delaying in hopes to delay the impeachment investigation, maybe the chance that the House works with them goes up

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Don't recognize the poller, so grain of salting here, but any time conviction is above acquittal it's bad for Trump. It was a metric that didn't track with his approval ratings until very, very recently.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pander posted:

Don't recognize the poller, so grain of salting here, but any time conviction is above acquittal it's bad for Trump. It was a metric that didn't track with his approval ratings until very, very recently.

the long-term graph of this is pretty remarkable just because of how incredibly steady it is

there's a slight uptick recently but really it's amazing there's so little variability

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pander posted:

apperently the poller is cnn.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think you mean state run media

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1219399171515592705

So they will be able to claim that they had witnesses while still covering up what the witnesses testify to. NICE.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1219399171515592705

So they will be able to claim that they had witnesses while still covering up what the witnesses testify to. NICE.

people will see the obvious ratfucking. i feel like this won't go the way they think. i know that doesnt matter to these parasites but jesus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1219399392081432581

yeah. it sounds like their insane poo poo might not even get the votes enough.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They commissioned the poll. SRSS conducted it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

people will see the obvious ratfucking. i feel like this won't go the way they think. i know that doesnt matter to these parasites but jesus.

It really would be better* for Republicans to go, "gently caress it!" and just 8am Tuesday vote to dismiss and call it a day. The damage is done and trying to pretend that it's not is making it worse. They're not going to change anyone's minds at this point toward Trump because there's nothing that could turn someone toward Trump. Their propaganda campaign has reached everyone it's going to reach. Getting it off their plate instantly would be the best option to make those people who don't pay attention to anything forget it. Everything else just keeps bringing up how corrupt Trump is and how corrupt Republicans are for working with him to cover up his crimes.

* Better from the perspective of an immoral ghoul, of course. For everyone else, let them keep trying to play games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It really would be better* for Republicans to go, "gently caress it!" and just 8am Tuesday vote to dismiss and call it a day. The damage is done and trying to pretend that it's not is making it worse. They're not going to change anyone's minds at this point toward Trump because there's nothing that could turn someone toward Trump. Their propaganda campaign has reached everyone it's going to reach. Getting it off their plate instantly would be the best option to make those people who don't pay attention to anything forget it. Everything else just keeps bringing up how corrupt Trump is and how corrupt Republicans are for working with him to cover up his crimes.

* Better from the perspective of an immoral ghoul, of course. For everyone else, let them keep trying to play games.

true. just dismissing it would probably "help" them the most. the giant problem for them is that they can't expand beyond their core base anymore really. and i assume trump has probably shrunk that base somewhat as burned bridges. not matter what they do it will be in bad faith and most people know that. like you said. they reached who they can reach. so playing to the choir over the rest of the country is a dumb loving move.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

The real question is how and when the GOP will pivot. They have to at a certain point, even with electoral math they will or likely have started to decline. Trump is the exact worst candidate to stem that decline but the perfect person to push away from and then attempt to rebrand and engage other demographics. The GOP has likely lost the Latino vote for generations, which is quite amazing since Bush Jr. did a frankly amazing job reaching out to them. By some accounts that was responsible for his re-election. I am not sure where they can go to make any inroads at.

Trump seems to think he can get the black vote which I am not sure who or what is telling them that it is even a remote possibility.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

The real question is how and when the GOP will pivot. They have to at a certain point, even with electoral math they will or likely have started to decline. Trump is the exact worst candidate to stem that decline but the perfect person to push away from and then attempt to rebrand and engage other demographics. The GOP has likely lost the Latino vote for generations, which is quite amazing since Bush Jr. did a frankly amazing job reaching out to them. By some accounts that was responsible for his re-election. I am not sure where they can go to make any inroads at.

Trump seems to think he can get the black vote which I am not sure who or what is telling them that it is even a remote possibility.

i think his polling with the black vote is like 7%positive or something.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1219416874108301312

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1219419390573273094

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1219399858555183104

they are gonna aquite him but i hope this fucks them hard in November. espcially since trump is probably gonna do more awful poo poo.

also schummer is pissed at turtle. maybe he will find his spine but even if he does.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 21, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1219399392081432581

yeah. it sounds like their insane poo poo might not even get the votes enough.

Does anyone else feel like this focus on Bolton is bait being laid out by the GOP? I feel like the focus should be on putting Trump himself on the stand and that this is a distraction that the Democrats are buying into.

I dunno. It just feels like bait to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Does anyone else feel like this focus on Bolton is bait being laid out by the GOP? I feel like the focus should be on putting Trump himself on the stand and that this is a distraction that the Democrats are buying into.

I dunno. It just feels like bait to me.

Possibly. That being said. These guys are dumb enough to sink their own dude because they are afraid he has turned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bolton could easily choose to bury Trump because he's a spite goblin. But he could also choose to just gently caress with Dems, depends if Trump goes on twitter and says Bolton has a small peen or something.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are gonna aquite him but i hope this fucks them hard in November. espcially since trump is probably gonna do more awful poo poo.

Of course, they were either going hold a vote the 1st day and give up any pretense whatsoever, or hold one a week and a half later under the silly fake pretense that it was an excessive amount of time since he was already innocent from the start.

The whole point of this was to shave the 1-2% off Trump votes needed to ensure he doesn't get re-elected. Most* accounts indicate that it likely has achieved that result.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FilthyImp posted:

Bolton could easily choose to bury Trump because he's a spite goblin. But he could also choose to just gently caress with Dems, depends if Trump goes on twitter and says Bolton has a small peen or something.

Bolton won't betray the republicans/trump. I do sympathize that I like the fantasy of it though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DandyLion posted:

I think you mean Deep State run media

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Of course, they were either going hold a vote the 1st day and give up any pretense whatsoever, or hold one a week and a half later under the silly fake pretense that it was an excessive amount of time since he was already innocent from the start.

The whole point of this was to shave the 1-2% off Trump votes needed to ensure he doesn't get re-elected. Most* accounts indicate that it likely has achieved that result.

Let’s hope it shaved more than that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

He would have had more if he hadn't stuck his dick into the FBI right after inauguration. What a loving self own.

Doesn't matter, the FBI still loves him.

DandyLion posted:

It shaved off maybe 0.1-0.2%, if you're lucky. Nobody follows this stuff.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lambert posted:

They just fell down some stairs, is all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Bolton won't betray the republicans/trump. I do sympathize that I like the fantasy of it though.

The thing is that he doesn't have to; there's already public information about his involvement. Bolton could go up to testify and say, "I never said that," and "All of those documents with my signature on them are deep state lies," but that doesn't work to protect him from criminal charges come 2021. It's easy to get away with lying to congress when there's no documentation and if someone does turn up something later then you "amend" your testimony. It's hard to do when they already know what you have said and done and are going to ask pointed questions about that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lambert posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No matter what crazy bullshit mcconnell tries to push through, remember none of it will be as nuts as Nixon trying to get a blind legislator to be the only one to read the transcripts of the White House tapes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

No matter what crazy bullshit mcconnell tries to push through, remember none of it will be as nuts as Nixon trying to get a blind legislator to be the only one to read the transcripts of the White House tapes.

He was deaf, actually. In one ear. :eng101:

John Stennis was 72 and one of the Senate's oldest members. Had the special prosecutor not said "uh, no" this may have happened.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. just dismissing it would probably "help" them the most. the giant problem for them is that they can't expand beyond their core base anymore really. and i assume trump has probably shrunk that base somewhat as burned bridges. not matter what they do it will be in bad faith and most people know that. like you said. they reached who they can reach. so playing to the choir over the rest of the country is a dumb loving move.

Dismissing without trial looks terrible to anyone outside of the deep end Trump tank and is not a trial as required by the constitution, giving the Democrats something to beat them all over their heads with until November.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lambert posted:

I feel like saying that 0.1-0.2% of people are not familiar with what is going on with Donald Trump is pretty goddamn dumb. Even if you're a Casual Political Person it's kinda hard to miss "oh hey we almost a war"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He was deaf, actually. In one ear. :eng101:

John Stennis was 72 and one of the Senate's oldest members. Had the special prosecutor not said "uh, no" this may have happened.

gently caress! I messed that up.

Oh well point stands! If mitch proposes Gohmert reads anything we know the jig is up!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress! I messed that up.

Oh well point stands! If mitch proposes Gohmert reads anything we know the jig is up!

Gohmert is a congressman and has no role in the Senate or its proceedings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkabob
May 31, 2011
I would like to speak to the manager about the socialists, please
I'm always open to the surprise that the GOP turns on Trump because he has pissed a lot of them off, not enough to be brave and engage in open dissent. But the kind of political courage that allows them to clutch their pearls if witnesses are allowed to testify and say "well once the evidence came out, legally my hands were tied." The out for them is to claim the deep state and Democrats out maneuvered them and the only way to avenge Trump is to keep showing up at the polls.

Of course winged baboons are just as likely to launch themselves out of my cavernous rear end in a top hat, take flight in search of a new original album by Oasis and find it.