Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I did my entire playthrough using Hymn of the Soviet Union for the helicopter music, and I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dunno if it got posted, but the latest The New Yorker has a really cool article about TPP: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/06/playing-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain

(and a follow-up interview here: https://www.newyorker.com/books/this-week-in-fiction/jamil-jan-kochai-01-06-20)

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly pretty tempted by the prospect of :20bux: worth of David Hayter

Always a good time to post this gem:
https://twitter.com/afrokami/status/1099765080697253888

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Necrothatcher posted:

Dunno if it got posted, but the latest The New Yorker has a really cool article about TPP: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/06/playing-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain

(and a follow-up interview here: https://www.newyorker.com/books/this-week-in-fiction/jamil-jan-kochai-01-06-20)

This was a good read. It's great to hear opinions about the game's setting besides "deserts suck" from white gamers.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Interesting reads, thanks for linking. I like the idea of a simultaneous connect/disconnect particularly in relation to MGS, and it's interesting to have that captured by a non-white gamer with cultural stakes in it. Even if the Afghanistan in the game is just an "idea" of what Soviet-occupied Afghanistan might look like, it's cool that it was somewhat validated in places by the writer's difficult memories and experiences. I thought that process, combined with the shock of not shooting brown people in a video game for once, was captured quite well in the story, now that I've had time to digest it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Steam decided to delete my current run-through of MGS V after 68 hours. No backups or system restore points or anything can save it. Found someone else's game from the same point online and goddamn - his staff, stuff and heroism are crap (it was probably a no-frills run to get a save at that point tbf). gently caress Steam.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Neurosis posted:

Steam decided to delete my current run-through of MGS V after 68 hours. No backups or system restore points or anything can save it. Found someone else's game from the same point online and goddamn - his staff, stuff and heroism are crap (it was probably a no-frills run to get a save at that point tbf). gently caress Steam.

That's terrible, considering the possibility that a person could have spent actual money to get the in-game currency to do/get something, and then see it disappear like this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AllisonByProxy posted:

Always a good time to post this gem

:hmmyes:

Neurosis posted:

Any idea if that's a known issue with the steam version? I ended up picking it up and sorta feel like screwing around with it and some mods now that I'm between games.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Might be because I'm using some mods - but I've been using them a while with no problem. Could also be because I did something funny with how I closed it during a sync or something.

Edit My mission ranks are the same as are the FOBs I'd opened (locations, anyway - facilities are gone). So some things are backed up separately.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 21, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Peace Walker is full of dumb and ridiculous poo poo, but by far the most unbelievable thing in the entire game is right at the end when Strangelove suddenly has the hots for Huey for some reason. What the gently caress does she see in that pathetic dweeb?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Necrothatcher posted:

Peace Walker is full of dumb and ridiculous poo poo, but by far the most unbelievable thing in the entire game is right at the end when Strangelove suddenly has the hots for Huey for some reason. What the gently caress does she see in that pathetic dweeb?

They do sort of end up saving it by later implying that she only wants him for his man juice at least (why him I don't know, just convenience I guess), though in the context of PW alone it's still pretty bad.

Not as bad as her going from lesbian/bisexual to pervert, if not outright paedophile, in Paz's tapes though!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

They do sort of end up saving it by later implying that she only wants him for his man juice at least

I make a point of stocking Mother Base with only the finest male specimens, make them run around in speedos waving bananas at people and she goes for Huey...

Pfft.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's odd how the mgs series makes you forget that nearly everyone is a villain except otakon, solid, raiden and sunny (in order from still kinda bad to least).

Neurosis posted:

no cloud save?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm in absolute awe of this bonus Japan-only Peace Walker tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaABZqW4DNg

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm in absolute awe of this bonus Japan-only Peace Walker tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaABZqW4DNg

Merry belated Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8FktCxNp8

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Incredible.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
these cinemas for missions 30 and 31 were worse than i heard. snake's stone silence throughout both is so incredibly awkward. i thought i bugged the game by bringing up the idroid when they sat there patiently while that dumb song played for a few minutes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All Boss wants to do is crank some Europe and catch up on Mother Base stuff, and this wacko won't stop showing off his master plan

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The cutscenes are fine, Kojima has never been a remotely good writer of dialogue so the monologues complement his style. It's also one of the reasons why Sutherland's a better Snake - He can be Grunt Coolguy and only has to sell a slim few anime howlers ("I'm already a demon", "I won't scatter your ashes to the heartless sea" etc)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

The cutscenes are fine, Kojima has never been a remotely good writer of dialogue so the monologues complement his style. It's also one of the reasons why Sutherland's a better Snake - He can be Grunt Coolguy and only has to sell a slim few anime howlers ("I'm already a demon", "I won't scatter your ashes to the heartless sea" etc)

He's also apparently very expensive because that's like 1/4 of his lines.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ROCKETPUNCH

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I never hated the stock footage/random animations of things cutscenes as much as most people anyway (at their best I think they have a nice avant-garde cinema quality) but Skull Face gesturing to no one about his nonsensical master plan whilst Snake is sat just inches away from him with a bored look on his face made me actively miss them.

At least it lets you use your iDroid, deftly capturing the experience of you wiling away the time on your phone whilst on a bad date.

Also, the song is distinctly unmemorable. I have an easier time remembering the Celine Dion one from Peace Walker even.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Basic Chunnel posted:

He didn’t sell them. He sounded bored.

Hayter fits the material better.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Hayter was dreadful in his last couple of turns in the role before he was finally gotten rid of. He wasn't selling anything either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seemlar posted:

Hayter was dreadful in his last couple of turns in the role before he was finally gotten rid of. He wasn't selling anything either.

Excuse me but “You were the lightning in that rain.”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol it’s not the job of Metal Gear VAs to sell anything but camp.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hideo, you can write this poo poo but you certainly can't sa- oh forget it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think Kiefer runs the gamut from good to bad, sometimes quiet and somber works well with the story in a way that David Hayter probably wouldn't, but then there are lots of times where that really does get awkward and noticeable, or he feels flat where campiness would really be appreciated. The story's odd enough that I honestly can't imagine one or the other pulling it off completely. In short, Venom is a Snake of contrasts.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also, the song is distinctly unmemorable. I have an easier time remembering the Celine Dion one from Peace Walker even.

Anyone who can't hear "wooooahhh hoooo" when someone lights a cigar is a XOF agent

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

He didn’t sell them. He sounded bored.

Hayter fits the material better.

All it would have taken was for Hayter to do Ground Zeroes and Sutherland to do TPP and it'd have all made sense...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s mostly unmemorable because its big moment happens at the same time as a pretty boring one narratively, visually, and gameplay-wise. Snake Eater gets the James Bond intro, an even better version during the final boss fight, and came out of nowhere for that ladder and became its own thing entirely. Heaven’s Divide gets a boss fight. All the themes show up in a (copyright friendly) form during the MGS4 fist fight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Keif plays a great straight man

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Purple Monkey posted:

Anyone who can't hear "wooooahhh hoooo" when someone lights a cigar is a XOF agent

That's literally the only bit I can hear in my head!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Necrothatcher posted:

All it would have taken was for Hayter to do Ground Zeroes and Sutherland to do TPP and it’d have all made sense…

Sometimes I think this, and then I think that it would have been good to have him play Ishmael too, but then I think that would have given away the twist ending.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CassandraZara posted:

Sometimes I think this, and then I think that it would have been good to have him play Ishmael too, but then I think that would have given away the twist ending.

Yeah, I like that idea but I don't know if it could coexist with the twist. I don't have a real feel for how much of a surprise the twist was for folks in general though (hardcore internet sleuths aside), since I came in well after the release and from outside the franchise.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game itself undermines the twist before you would even think of it as one, since it has you create a character before you even see Venom. I still really hate this twist and feel like it was the most pointless, terribly handled thing.

I'm still not sure if Kaz knew that entire time. Was that conversation with Ocelot before the main game, or after? If it was before then that just undermines the revenge plot even more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CassandraZara posted:

Have Kiefer play both in mission 1 but then Hayter play Ishmael in mission 45-or-whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Snake in MGSV sounds like he's sick of this poo poo all over again.

In other words perfect.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MGS5 twist good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Momomo posted:

I'm still not sure if Kaz knew that entire time. Was that conversation with Ocelot before the main game, or after? If it was before then that just undermines the revenge plot even more.

Kaz didn't know. All he was told was that Big Boss was in a coma somewhere secret and they'd send him a message when he woke up. The conversation he has with Ocelot is after the main game. He's swearing revenge in that call specifically because he was deceived by Ocelot and Big Boss for the entirety of the game