Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

They weren't teaching it as of 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe they brought it back. I know that they don't teach bayonet courses, at the very least. Too many people accidentally dying from self inflicted stab wounds.

I knew about bayonets going away around 07-08. I wonder if they cycle the training or his group was just doing it on their own and he wasn’t smart about concealing it. Either is completely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That Works posted:

Just wanted to mention that both of these could be entirely due to non-influenzae infections. Rhinovirus, adenovirus etc can all knock down things to the extent that you can get some fun secondary infections. Definitely fits in the envelope of ear, sinus and bronchial infections.
Could be. This is the first time I've been sick for more than 24 hours since I've been getting the flu shot. Other than poo poo like the common cold.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Had to have been because I’m typically out for 3-4 days and fine. I’m still feeling it a week later.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

When I got the flu I was flat on my back with a fever between 102-105 for a week with a ton of puking and it took me a month for my lungs to fully recover. My doctor commented that "wow, vomiting is unusual, anyway, drink lots of fluids".

gently caress the flu is what I'm saying.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

Smiling Jack posted:

When I got the flu I was flat on my back with a fever between 102-105 for a week with a ton of puking and it took me a month for my lungs to fully recover. My doctor commented that "wow, vomiting is unusual, anyway, drink lots of fluids".

gently caress the flu is what I'm saying.

Were you coughing until you felt nauseous? That was a thing I don't want to experience again.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My buddy lost the tip of his finger on the bayonet course at Benning. He got a little too amped when parrying the 2×4 on the dummy

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah they actually called out the army for this, and I'm glad they did. Because people's houses are literally loving buried.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/nl/stjohns/newfoundlands-huge-stormaggedon-storm-caused-the-craziest-things-to-happen

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've had a vicious sore throat (so bad I had to spend hours waiting at an urgent care clinic on a playoff Sunday) and food poisoning already this year.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 21, 2020

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Not infantry but was an FO. Most of those guys have never tried to move in that gear.

The Drop legs are all set too low and they have so much empty space on their vests that they’d be better served just putting the holster on it up front on the chest above the mags. Drop legs make running awkward even when worn right.

There’s that one guy with a pouch over his groin that will nut shot him the first time he goes prone.

The helmet straps are generally not set right so they will flop around anytime they move faster than a walking pace. Also superfluous Nods mounts and flashlights on the helmets.

Assault packs are sitting far too low on the back. Again posing a problem when moving quickly. Also it pulls your shoulders back.

This was also brought up but the gear all looks new and stiff like it hasn’t been broken in at all. Which makes it fit poorly and chafe a poo poo ton.

I could keep going but it’s mostly rehashed.

My favorite was the .50 cal guy who had “IFAK FIRST AID” Handwritten on a pouch. It’s like writing ATM Machine because IFAK stands for infantry first aid kit. But purely performative just like that rifle.

There were a few guys who looked like they were vets or cops and had simple worn in gear. That was a little more troubling than all the Larpers.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1219317208205209600

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I can speak from some scientific and medical knowledge about the China coronavirus outbreak. The coronavirus can be pretty lethal, and this outbreak is still in its infancy and we likely haven’t yet fully sequenced its genome to allow totally complete back and forward tracking of all the cases. The death rate isn’t that high but the morbidity rate certainly is not something to ignore. This wouldn’t have a problem overcrowding hospitals and taxing our medical infrastructure if it got a foothold. Thing is, this species of virus loves to come out with a new debut every few years that’s super hopped up and knows how to kill people via respiratory failure. They also travel across the globe quite well. Virology is a strange thing. I just had a patient a few weeks ago that tested positive for coronavirus HKU1 here in the west coast. Which, is pretty crazy if you read this wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_coronavirus_HKU1

It was only discovered after outbreak in China in 2005 and since then has slowly creeped its way across the ocean to the East coast, and then onto everywhere else. It’s kind of awesome/terrifying that even in 2020 there are new viruses popping up we have never seen before.

Our world is a snot.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

Not infantry but was an FO. Most of those guys have never tried to move in that gear.

The Drop legs are all set too low and they have so much empty space on their vests that they’d be better served just putting the holster on it up front on the chest above the mags. Drop legs make running awkward even when worn right.

There’s that one guy with a pouch over his groin that will nut shot him the first time he goes prone.

The helmet straps are generally not set right so they will flop around anytime they move faster than a walking pace. Also superfluous Nods mounts and flashlights on the helmets.

Assault packs are sitting far too low on the back. Again posing a problem when moving quickly. Also it pulls your shoulders back.

This was also brought up but the gear all looks new and stiff like it hasn’t been broken in at all. Which makes it fit poorly and chafe a poo poo ton.

And this is all so basic that they obviously never even played at their dumb cosplay in the woods with their dumb cosplay friends.

My one and only real Air Force "combat" deployment was as an augmentee to an Army unit in Aghanistan. All of us Air Force cats got the standard infantry field gear, then went through a couple weeks of combat training at Ft Dix before shipping out.

Almost every single thing Richard Bong and the others mentioned (except the groin pouch issue) came up in the first two days. Most of us had no idea how to properly wear a drop leg holster, or the correct positioning of an assault pack, etc, but we figured it out real fast after we had to move/shoot/communicate. There's nothing quite like getting your pistol jammed up in your asscrack because the holster was too low and loose when you had to sprint with it. Followed by cinching it tighter and turning it into a tourniquet.

otoh, I'm glad that those clowns clearly just dress up for special events. I'd be more concerned if they actually took the time to figure out what they're doing.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

It was only discovered after outbreak in China in 2005 and since then has slowly creeped its way across the ocean to the East coast, and then onto everywhere else. It’s kind of awesome/terrifying that even in 2020 there are new viruses popping up we have never seen before.

I din't want to sound like a dick here, but it might be the case the coronavirus in its current form didn't exist before 2004-2005. Life is always evolving to best adapt to its environment, especially viruses.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can speak from some scientific and medical knowledge about the China coronavirus outbreak. The coronavirus can be pretty lethal, and this outbreak is still in its infancy and we likely haven’t yet fully sequenced its genome to allow totally complete back and forward tracking of all the cases. The death rate isn’t that high but the morbidity rate certainly is not something to ignore. This wouldn’t have a problem overcrowding hospitals and taxing our medical infrastructure if it got a foothold. Thing is, this species of virus loves to come out with a new debut every few years that’s super hopped up and knows how to kill people via respiratory failure. They also travel across the globe quite well. Virology is a strange thing. I just had a patient a few weeks ago that tested positive for coronavirus HKU1 here in the west coast. Which, is pretty crazy if you read this wiki.

Our world is a snot.

So, on the scale of pandemic movies, how screwed are we?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bad Poster posted:

They weren't teaching it as of 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe they brought it back. I know that they don't teach bayonet courses, at the very least. Too many people accidentally dying from self inflicted stab wounds.

I'll have you know it's because obama slapped them out of are brave boys hands so they couldn't repel a taliban charge

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Our world is a snot.

papa nurgle is proud

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Richard Bong posted:

The one FTX I went on in ROTC I tore the poo poo out of my heel because I didn't wear in my boots properly before wearing them for like 50 hours (and didn't tie them tight enough). The rest of our gear was all pretty worn in NG stuff but those boots were new as could be and I learned quickly: wear in footwear before you throw it on for a weekend of marching and running with gear.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're taking antibiotics then it's not a flu, as the flu is a viral infection (and therefore mostly untreatable). If you have the flu symptoms and also feel like hot garbage all over then good chance you got the flu.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
There was also a bunch of dudes in those pics with kneepads on, nobody wears those things cos they fuckin suck, they always fall down and theyre uncomfy as poo poo. Everyone just kept one round their ankle in case you had to take a knee for ages or whatever.

And all those massive packs looked like they still had the paper stuffing in them from the store :laffo:

E) aussies had these fancy pants with kneepads sewn into them and I was always hella jealous of them :sigh:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 21, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sleeping bags for the sleepover at Jared's afterwards

I heard his mom is going to get supreme pizzas

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

E) aussies had these fancy pants with kneepads sewn into them and I was always hella jealous of them :sigh:

I might be the only person who actually liked the foam inserts for the older ACU knees/elbows. Sure, you'd tear the poo poo out of the uniform if you actually used them as intended, but they stayed in place and you wouldn't bust up your knee instead.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The coronaviridae have been around for ages, and have been responsible for a number of respiratory virus outbreaks over the past many years. I think that one poster’s point about maybe we just didn’t know about coronavirus in this form yet, it’s kind of right. We didn’t know about this strain. There’s so many strains of coronavirus and we probably don’t know about many of them until they pop up an epidemic like this, or like HKU1. The virus can do this because in the world of viruses it’s a big boy with plenty of room and mechanisms to mutate and adapt.

On the scale of Contagion movie epidemic? I dunno I imagine it’s a 3/10 for now, and thankfully winter is ending, not beginning. Which is good. We kind of have to see how quickly it escalates to figure out that N of infectivity thing. I also am pretty sure that since coronavirus is an enveloped virus (meaning it has like a moisture requiring lipid membrane around itself) it is very hard to become airborne because the envelope dries out and inactivated the virus. It requires spread by secretions, or getting sneezed on/touching snot. That isn’t like a guarantee of slow transmission though, look at Ebola.

Flu season is always pretty busy at the hospital and it always tears me up inside to take care if someone with the flu who’s gotten a bad roll and had their lungs fill with fluid or multiple organs shut down. It’s so preventable. A lot of people get it and just have the flu, but there’s really no predicting who will get absolutely hosed by it. Year after year it’s either “bad” or “meh”. I think it depends on which H and N particle makes up the flu that year. Some combinations are just extremely deadly, others are weak sauce. This year has been bad, but not as bad as two years ago when our hospital literally was putting people in hallways or walkways in the ER. We have had some radical awful deaths in totally healthy 20-30 year olds this year. One just up and died 4 hours after walking into the ER with a fever. A few others have required ECMO and full multi organ life support for a week. I mean these were healthy people my age. it’s been scary enough to make me impress on every person I know to get the flu shot ASAP. Still not nearly as bad as two years ago though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Why, you trying to promote?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There were elbow and knee pad inserts for the ACUs. I never got a set of pads, but I only had one pair of ACUs. Just 1/4" foam inserts if I remember right.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The thing I notice is the guys wearing huge add on pouches at their sides, if you widen your profile too it becomes a pain to move through doors, sit in vehicles, move through close country and so on. Ditto with double layers of pouches on front which also makes you stick up when in the prone. poo poo that's only sitting in the pouches through gravity that'll fall out as soon as they do any work. Shemaghs with the ends all lose that will get flap away, and having their gear done in a maze of straps that make it hard to get it off in a hurry. The first thing I'd do if those guys turned up to an exercise is let them navigate through the biggest patch of bush lawyer I could find and let them get all hooked up. Plus if you add too many pouches you can't find all your poo poo, especially in the dark.

Thanks for the info about viruses/ epidemic stuff as well, much appreciated.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dcu krew represent

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
"Well organized militia."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jaguars! posted:

The thing I notice is the guys wearing huge add on pouches at their sides, if you widen your profile too it becomes a pain to move through doors, sit in vehicles, move through close country and so on.

It reminds me of the old school harness-webbing utility belt thing we had to wear on basic before chest webbing was issued, poo poo made you like 3 feet wider

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Jaguars! posted:

The thing I notice is the guys wearing huge add on pouches at their sides, if you widen your profile too it becomes a pain to move through doors, sit in vehicles, move through close country and so on.

1ID pissed me off, everyone had to have their IFAK on their left side and some other big rear end pouch I can’t remember on the right. gently caress you if you’re not right handed and get shot, everyone had to have it dressed right dress. Good thing we didn’t deploy anywhere dangerous in 1st.

Edit: canteen with cup on the right if I remember right. Couldn’t sit in a truck without being uncomfortable but that’s IOTV in general.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

This entire thread for a light chuckle

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1219310666747535361?s=19

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eulogistics posted:

I din't want to sound like a dick here, but it might be the case the coronavirus in its current form didn't exist before 2004-2005. Life is always evolving to best adapt to its environment, especially viruses.

I don't want to sound frigid, but it could also have come from under melting permafrost!

But my first guess would be poor sanitation and meat handling procedures. See also: drone biowarfare protection rackets dropping tainted swine meat into the herds of noncompliant farmers.

Speaking of which, Gibson's new book is out as of today.

Lastly, those of you who enjoyed VNV Nation might also like this loving mood for 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Carbe7kC7uA

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Kesper North posted:

Speaking of which, Gibson's new book is out as of today.

oh nice I missed that

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1219336801493639168?s=20

Im not even surprised anymore just tired

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

bdu krew represent

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Carnival Rider posted:

1ID pissed me off, everyone had to have their IFAK on their left side and some other big rear end pouch I can’t remember on the right. gently caress you if you’re not right handed and get shot, everyone had to have it dressed right dress. Good thing we didn’t deploy anywhere dangerous in 1st.

Edit: canteen with cup on the right if I remember right. Couldn’t sit in a truck without being uncomfortable but that’s IOTV in general.

We did the same in both the 101 and (iirc) the 173rd, as well as a spare tourniquet in the right calf pocket (and sometimes a third in the right shoulder), and both definitely went dangerous places. IFAK location was standardized because in most cases it's someone else that has to find it to shove tampons in the bloody new rear end in a top hat someone just installed in your abdomen.

Also the canteen pouch on the right is for nods not a canteen so gg 1ID I guess :shrug:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vanilla ISIS is perfect.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1219613750745059335?s=20 :lol:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That loving rear end in a top hat needs to shut the gently caress up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not surprised Hillary is looking for a way to lose an election she’s not even in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I bet she would rather not vote than vote between Bernie and trump. Wouldn't surprise me if she respected trump more than Bernie too