Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Geisladisk posted:

How do I make Tomb Kings work? I'm playing vortex as Khotep. My economy sucks and my armies suck. I've barely been scratching out wins against cult of pleasure, but I'm worried that as soon as Malekith decides to come take my lunch money it's over.

Don't play Khotep unless you're experienced with tomb kings. He's the hardest start by far. Settra is probably the easiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Plus Settra is one of the best VA performances in the game. BOW BEFORE YOUR KING, SLAVE

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the ai lizardmen are currently having fun bring stacks of all big monsters and fliers to the party

which is an issue given I am playing brettonia and pegasus units are just annoying enough to get that I don't have any in my main stacks

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Plus Settra is one of the best VA performances in the game. BOW BEFORE YOUR KING, SLAVE

As Malekith, I heard a diplomacy dialogue option where he calls you Druchii, and says "Yes, I know Eldtharin. Settra knows all."

:allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am all about Lahmia and Strigoi blood lords. They own.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dr Christmas posted:

As Malekith, I heard a diplomacy dialogue option where he calls you Druchii, and says "Yes, I know Eldtharin. Settra knows all."

:allears:

Arkhan makes mention of the pacts made between Skaven and Nahash, it's a nice little detail.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Doin a Lokhir campaign to try out the new Black Ark mechanics after trying Malus and realizing that his is useless (and also that the Tzarkan campaign mechanic is garbage). They're drat good!

I'm still not really sure how you're supposed to do Lokhir's campaign itself though. Last time I played it (before Sotek and Itza were proper factions) I said gently caress the Karond Kar quest and just conquered Lustria, but got bored when it devolved into fighting endless Chaos waves that spawn in the sea right next to you and immediately sail straight at all your cities.

This time around I thought I'd use the improved Black Arks to take Karond Kar, but would at least secure the coast first. This took forever between the endless Skaven and Vampiric corruption necessitating endless babysitting and The Awakening having a strong garrison. When I'd sorted those out I only had enough time to get halfway up Ulthuan and sack one city before I had to go back and fight Puppets of Chaos forever.

Is taking Karond Kar before Chaos shows up feasible? I'm not good at this game by any means, but it seems like you'd have to basically abandon the south (and all your income) on a gamble.

I'll tell you when I figure it out myself! I have an almost identical ME game (Lustria coast -> Karond Kar) but I conquered half of Ulthuan before Chaos showed up. I have two armies in Naggaroth being squeezed by Malekith and Chaos from the north, plus an army in Lustria trying to cover the whole coast against 5 Chaos hordes, and the remaining two Black Arks and three armies are still in Ulthuan, out of reach.

I don't think there's a victory requirement to hold territory in Lustria so if the upcoming clusterfuck wrecks my nice borders I'm just going to abandon the continent and focus on Ulthuan/Naggaroth.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
One of my favorite vocals is Sknitch's "Down... down, below." when he uses underway stance. Its genuinely pretty intimidating. Also Grimgor's diplomacy lines.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
There's something really endearing about friendly tomb kings. A mummy with a permanent 'D:' face going
"I am a gracious host, how can I make you comfortable? I forget mortal pleasures."
"An accord, perhaps? I would so like to see your White Tower."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Third World Reagan posted:

I am all about Lahmia and Strigoi blood lords. They own.

All of the bloodline lords are stupidly powerful in their own right and despite being "generics" are better than a fair number of actual LLs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of great diplomacy lines/VA, Tretch Craventail was hysterical to try to make a trade agreement with. Every time for like 20 turns he just kept saying "Shove off" or something else actually kinda mean but too funny not to laugh at.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I'm very new to this game, and cut my teeth on just a basic Dwarf campaign using the first game. I've switched to ME and Throgg for my second campaign, and I feel like I'm probably messing up strategically by trying to make Norsca work like the dwarfs. In all of my attempts so far I've gotten drawn into headhunting Norsca chieftains to confederate and take over the Norscan peninsula. That's all well and good, and I actually have the infrastructure to support two decent stacks just from settlement income, but by about turn 45 I've got some combination of all the Brettonia dukes, high elves, dark elves, the dwarf faction, and Kislev declaring war and invading me. Hell, in my most recent playthrough Spirit of the Jungle wandered in and took one of the last unconfederated Norscan settlements and is now saber rattling and then the Leaf Cutter Orcs dropped a weak stack on me out of nowhere as well.

So I end up keeping Throgg at home, chasing around enemies, and not getting much of that tasty raiding and sacking income that i know that I need to actually have an economy. I don't really enjoy engaging with the diplomacy aspect of this game and am thus terrible at it, but it does seem like every neighbor (including other Norscans) starts out with aversion and since we lack common enemies it's hard to bribe my way out of that hole. I'm able to get Clan Moulder on my side, at least.

Since the Norscan settlements are so low value/difficult to defend and the territory so vast, does it work better to just confederate your immediate neighbors to get the frost wyrm/mammoth and then just essentially go full Sherman and burn your way through Kislev or the northern Empire factions, not worrying too much about your home settlements?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm at work so I cant really write up an effortpost right now but Norsca is hard and everyone hates them so yeah, you end up at war with a lot of people.
Kislev is probably the strongest faction at game start - they have 9 settlements, 4 of which are majors, and they use the Empire roster, which is an amazing roster. They are almost impossible to burn through even if you use Throgg Cheese by attacking all towns with 10 Trolls and 9 Berserkers, which is a strategy that got nerfed a bit.
If you are new I would recommend a different faction until you get a better feel for the game.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Motherfucker posted:

One of my favorite vocals is Sknitch's "Down... down, below." when he uses underway stance. Its genuinely pretty intimidating.

skaven have great VA work. Queek, Skrolk, the WARLOOOCK MAAAASTEEEER and the regular grey seers are great.

"dig, diiiig children ahhhhh"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm at work so I cant really write up an effortpost right now but Norsca is hard and everyone hates them so yeah, you end up at war with a lot of people.
Kislev is probably the strongest faction at game start - they have 9 settlements, 4 of which are majors, and they use the Empire roster, which is an amazing roster. They are almost impossible to burn through even if you use Throgg Cheese by attacking all towns with 10 Trolls and 9 Berserkers, which is a strategy that got nerfed a bit.
If you are new I would recommend a different faction until you get a better feel for the game.

Thank you! Maybe I'll backburner my troll/mammoth dreams and shift over to dinos.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Another excellent VA bit is Grimgor doing diplo with Gelt. He's not a fan at all and is amazingly condescending.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Geisladisk posted:

How do I make Tomb Kings work? I'm playing vortex as Khotep. My economy sucks and my armies suck. I've barely been scratching out wins against cult of pleasure, but I'm worried that as soon as Malekith decides to come take my lunch money it's over.

As has been mentioned, Khatep is probably the weakest TK start. He's physically the weakest and doesn't hold up in a punch up. You're basically in a forever hellwar against the rest of the continent and while you're relatively safe by virtue of your wasteland territories being inhospitibal to dark elves, you're boxed in, you don't have any good economic buildings or reliable trade partners nearby, and if your starting heirotitan gets Darksharded you're going to be hard pressed to have enough beef to push out against Morathi. If you want to make it work though:

Rush chariots early, that's going to be your main source of murder in tier 1/2 before you have consistent access to constructs.

Utilize your shitpile of starting liche priests to always be stealing technology. The one saving grace is that they can tech up (and by virtue get the extra army capacity) super early.

Get Khatep's casket of souls mount as soon as it's available. CoS is super artillery and you tie a strong caster to it to go HAM over enemies.

I usually put early levels into the red line to at the very least buff skeletons, they tend to be your line chaff and filler for most of the game and anything you can do to keep them on the field longer is ultimately to your benefit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
TK doesn't get steal technology as a hero skill I believe. And even if they did its too costly for the risk of failure/critical failure. The main asset for Liche priests that works in Khatep's favor is that they get skills that boost your base research speed and also bonus veterancy on recruitment. And since they cost nothing there's zero opportunity cost to just recruit as many as you can any given moment, and if you are say at a point where they would be recruited at lvl 8 but one is still lvl 3, dismiss him and recruit a new one at lvl 8. As I've said earlier, you really want the 'wise' trait because it gives extra jars and veterancy which pays off in the long run.

The shape of his starting province is awful and while you can colonize empty ruins this costs money, drains your forces (merge and re recruit skeletons to save time getting back up to full). A big threat is that both beastmen and skaven can underway through mountains to threaten your settlements, revolts can happen when Khatep is at the opposite side of the province, and of course dark Eldar.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
jars are great. Caskets of souls are great (get three or so and fight a million dark shards) but the start is one of the worst. Just defending and sacking might be a good choice in the beginning, until you can get your starter province to level 5 and get some good elites. Just pushing out with garbage troops is bound to make you weak and frail. It's far better to nurse your strength while still leveling and getting stronger.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Use jars to unlock more priests to make more jars to get more priests ad infinitum. Also helps with many of the dilemmas.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Another subtle perk of TK: getting a bonus hero from events /lord benefits doesn't just give you the hero, it raises your capacity for heroes of that type. Contrast this with say Empire, who can potentially get two wizards very quickly (random event, early quest reward) but if they die or get dismissed you can't replace them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only now read about TW3K's "battlefield deployables." Those sound like they could be a cool add to Warhammer 3.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Mordja posted:

I only now read about TW3K's "battlefield deployables." Those sound like they could be a cool add to Warhammer 3.

Are they different from what previous TW games had?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Enigma posted:

I think the tower is new. You can now deploy a fort-defense style tower on the field

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Enigma posted:

not really. Spikes, caltrops, that kind of thing. I like the oil patches you can set on fire.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
TK are one of the best snowball factions. Slow to start, with trash troops and low income, but by mid-late game you're making loads of money and jars, with 7+ armies of tomb guard and living statues.

Why yes, I am enjoying my Khalida campaign, why do you ask?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The two hardest campaigns I've played so far were Belegar on Legendary and Khatep. What I did with Khatep was:

- Go hard after Morathi, Cult of Pleasure is loving annoying so don't let them get rolling

- Suck up to Mazdamundi, I bribed him where I could. You are surrounded by stronger enemies and any trade income helps with TK anemic early game economy.

- Spam Priests as others have noted. They are really the only thing that makes the early game bearable as Khatep. I think I went for the first or second dynasty first because I really needed chariot buffs.

- If you're fighting Dark Elves then tar pit them with your chaff and hit their backlines hard with chariots, its really all you have going for you. Dark Elves are better at everything early game except cav.

Khatep is a really middling lord at best which is kinda frustrating considering how hard his campaign is. I also found it...depressing I don't know. Maybe it's just the locale or your distance from any allies but it just feels like a slog.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Wild Horses posted:

skaven have great VA work. Queek, Skrolk, the WARLOOOCK MAAAASTEEEER and the regular grey seers are great.

"dig, diiiig children ahhhhh"

A good flay to DIE! Ngyah ha ha ha! Hrrm

Asked this before, haven’t gotten an answer: I can’t declare war as Malekith on the Beastmen that I need to fight for Malus Darkblade’s quests. Has anyone else had this problem?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2020

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Doin a Lokhir campaign to try out the new Black Ark mechanics after trying Malus and realizing that his is useless (and also that the Tzarkan campaign mechanic is garbage). They're drat good!

I'm still not really sure how you're supposed to do Lokhir's campaign itself though. Last time I played it (before Sotek and Itza were proper factions) I said gently caress the Karond Kar quest and just conquered Lustria, but got bored when it devolved into fighting endless Chaos waves that spawn in the sea right next to you and immediately sail straight at all your cities.

This time around I thought I'd use the improved Black Arks to take Karond Kar, but would at least secure the coast first. This took forever between the endless Skaven and Vampiric corruption necessitating endless babysitting and The Awakening having a strong garrison. When I'd sorted those out I only had enough time to get halfway up Ulthuan and sack one city before I had to go back and fight Puppets of Chaos forever.

Is taking Karond Kar before Chaos shows up feasible? I'm not good at this game by any means, but it seems like you'd have to basically abandon the south (and all your income) on a gamble.

Last time I did Lokhir, I went for a Lustrian conquest and ran into the same problem - the waves of Chaos. They do eventually stop, though. I didn't want to play out a thousand identical Chaos battles, but I had 2 Black Arks and a good sorceress lord in that area. They could autoresolve (with heavy losses) and wipe out the 5 Chaos armies that spawned. But the Arks could recruit so many high quality soldiers (rank 8 Corsairs by the end of the invasion) so quickly that I could just easily rebuild their armies, regardless of how bad the losses were. I just had Lokhir himself off doing his own thing while my Arks and that sorceress lord autoresolved the Chaos battles until they stopped. I got a ton of levels and equipment out of the whole thing, and it really wasn't much of a pain or particularly time consuming.

Edit: In a way, it was also good - having those leveled up Arks made weathering the endless invasions of High Elves viable. In my game, shortly after the Chaos invasions stopped, Lothern and Tiranoc just started launching enormous numbers of armies at me. I'm talking 3-5 per turn. Stopping that in its tracks, turning them back, and landing on the shores of Ulthuan was a hell of a lot more effort than autoresolving a few Chaos stacks.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dr Christmas posted:

A good flay to DIE! Ngyah ha ha ha! Hrrm

Asked this before, haven’t gotten an answer: I can’t declare war as Malekith on the Beastmen that I need to fight for Malus Darkblade’s quests. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't own the DLC and haven't played Delves in a while, but yes, that's definitely come up in this thread before. The latest update+DLC introduced quite a lot of bugs, more than usual. CA have said they're working on them, but I don't think there's a public timeline for when it'll get fixed. So for now, you're out of luck.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
What really helps me with all of the TK leaders is being ready to use the Great Incantation of Tahoth Rite exactly when you recruit your 2nd army. Gotta finish the dynasty research and have enough Jars for the special lord, but it allows you to recruit that lord at +3 ranks, give them a casket, and 5 turns to fill his army with +2 rank recruits. Feels like it works perfectly when it all lines up, getting the jars shouldn't be too hard as long as you are pushing early fights.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Looks like they hit their stride and found the sweet spot of releases that gets people back into the game for a bit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think releasing a LL of an already-released faction goes a long way, especially with an interesting start location/mechanic. Unless they’re a Vampire Count. If they wanted to release, like, a made-up Empire guy who is just Doing His Best in surviving Naggarond and/or Norsca and gets a campaign mechanic where he has to sort of gently caress around with Chaos Gods despite being an Empire Guy, it’d be fantastic replayability in line with a paid faction DLC release. I mean, that’s basically what Repanse was as Free-LC and her campaign is a blast (even though Brettonia kinda blows).

Or an official LL for dwarfs like that Kraka Drak mod where they have different variants in units where they don’t get gunpowder but are more about runes and shields and are in a way, way worse starting position.

That being said, the ME turn time reduction has been the biggest reason I started playing more regularly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Let grimgor wear a choas dwarf hat goddamnit

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the brett finale against tomb kings was hilariously easy

the heroic threesome instantly killed the lords with a charge and actually having pegasus knights around means TK's one thing over bret, being monsters, suddenly disappears too. it's a surprisingly rough matchup for them

in other news i am reminded that the empire roster sucks in that everything worth using is at the high end or combo buildings. the early game of franz leading around 10 free companies is lame, though it's better then not having the dlc at all I guess

the new imperial system also seems lame I am now randomly at war with two people because an event said so unless you have cool dude money, even though they were high-ish fealty.

the empire sucks.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gamerofthegame posted:

in other news i am reminded that the empire roster sucks in that everything worth using is at the high end or combo buildings.

at least they let you build more slots in major buildings now

Third World Reagan posted:

Would you prefer something like this rough draft to save on text space?

that seems to have been written by dark elves with that contrast

Jarvisi posted:

By now Tyrion has united the island and is about to bash your face in

he just gobbled up avelorn after I did the destroyer mission. On the other hand I really need a monster building to deal with the stuff being thrown my way, fuckloads of arrows and witch elves and black guard/cold cav are only getting me so far now

edit: for the second time this campaign I just lost malekith, a high level hero that wasn't quite high enough to get immortality and all the units inside to tretch craventail and a hail of ratling gun fire. Malekith now has defensive penalties because he's lost to tretch so much fml

in other news the start of the elf hellwar, alarielle turned up with the sword of khaine and got 650 kills (including over 400 from that ability) but I didn't give a gently caress since it was a bluntening force of mostly black guard, bleakswords and darkshare and I had reserves:

pnutz fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 22, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have been playing a Teclis campaign for the last two days after not playing High Elves since forever. Taking the starting province and the one with octopusface was easy, but I had to skip the Vampire Coast due to vampiric corruption and the hellwar with Gor Rok and its neverending stacks of dinosaurs was a big mistake.

I'm going to load a previous game 20 turns or so in and pack my merry band into boats and go murder someone else, leaving the lizards alone. Any target suggestions?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gamerofthegame posted:

the brett finale against tomb kings was hilariously easy

the heroic threesome instantly killed the lords with a charge and actually having pegasus knights around means TK's one thing over bret, being monsters, suddenly disappears too. it's a surprisingly rough matchup for them

I still had repanse's basic army, which was basically her, henri, a couple units of grail knights and then just shittons of trebuchets/peasants

You throw repanse at the monsters and the tomb kings just melt to any sort of sustained fire for that last fight, especially with the extra armies you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

litany of gulps posted:

Last time I did Lokhir, I went for a Lustrian conquest and ran into the same problem - the waves of Chaos. They do eventually stop, though. I didn't want to play out a thousand identical Chaos battles, but I had 2 Black Arks and a good sorceress lord in that area. They could autoresolve (with heavy losses) and wipe out the 5 Chaos armies that spawned. But the Arks could recruit so many high quality soldiers (rank 8 Corsairs by the end of the invasion) so quickly that I could just easily rebuild their armies, regardless of how bad the losses were. I just had Lokhir himself off doing his own thing while my Arks and that sorceress lord autoresolved the Chaos battles until they stopped. I got a ton of levels and equipment out of the whole thing, and it really wasn't much of a pain or particularly time consuming.

Edit: In a way, it was also good - having those leveled up Arks made weathering the endless invasions of High Elves viable. In my game, shortly after the Chaos invasions stopped, Lothern and Tiranoc just started launching enormous numbers of armies at me. I'm talking 3-5 per turn. Stopping that in its tracks, turning them back, and landing on the shores of Ulthuan was a hell of a lot more effort than autoresolving a few Chaos stacks.
Black Ark lords have an ability that lets them reinforce in Lightnight Strike Battles. I autoresolved all 5 Chaos armies that showed up in one turn by having a normal lord on a boat attack each Chaos stack in turn, with two Black Arks reinforcing each time. My armies were at full strength after killing the 5th Chaos army.