Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

so is crash bandicoot just the same 10 levels repeated over 8 worlds except with more poo poo in the level each time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tomorrow ends my two weeks of unemployment and in that time i've been a gaming machine, finishing donkey kong country (gba), donkey kong country 2 (gba), mega man battle network (gba), mega man battle network 3 (gba), and harry potter and the sorcerer's stone (gamecube)

w-wait a minute none of those were even in my backlog :negative:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I only play platformers that have egg based protagonists.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

i like command and conquer red alert 2

I like then ending where the Soviets win and close the stock market forever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

big eggerland and chuckie egg fan here

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Looper posted:

tomorrow ends my two weeks of unemployment and in that time i've been a gaming machine, finishing donkey kong country (gba), donkey kong country 2 (gba), mega man battle network (gba), mega man battle network 3 (gba), and harry potter and the sorcerer's stone (gamecube)

w-wait a minute none of those were even in my backlog :negative:

How does MMBN hold up? I loved those games as a kid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Phantasium posted:

so is crash bandicoot just the same 10 levels repeated over 8 worlds except with more poo poo in the level each time

each game has a set of themes for levels much like 2d platformers often did/do which build off each other and the other level sets as you go until you get to the game wanting you to do extremely specific lengthy platforming perfectly or go back to the start and its wonderful. theres like 15 themes? i think in 1. and so theres only a few of each theme and each one is pretty distinct while using the same format and getting longer and more complicated. theyre good games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if u like dkc style platforming theyre great. if you dont like having your fingers smashed and the game telling you you suck probably stay away.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

if u like dkc style platforming theyre great. if you dont like having your fingers smashed and the game telling you you suck probably stay away.

maybe i should....play crash

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

play crash... 1. you can probably ignore 2 and 3

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

play crash... 1. you can probably ignore 2 and 3

this is honestly heresy, 1 is really good while also probably the worst one. 3 i can understand maybe is a bit heavy on gimmick levels but the platform levels are really good. 2 is just really good all the way through.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stux posted:

each game has a set of themes for levels much like 2d platformers often did/do which build off each other and the other level sets as you go until you get to the game wanting you to do extremely specific lengthy platforming perfectly or go back to the start and its wonderful. theres like 15 themes? i think in 1. and so theres only a few of each theme and each one is pretty distinct while using the same format and getting longer and more complicated. theyre good games.

i was making a joke, because adventure island 1 is just the same 10 or so levels repeated except when they repeat they have more obstacles to dodge and gently caress up your muscle memory

the only naughty dog platformer (or game period i guess) i like is jak and daxter

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

this is honestly heresy, 1 is really good while also probably the worst one. 3 i can understand maybe is a bit heavy on gimmick levels but the platform levels are really good. 2 is just really good all the way through.
i will get to them and reevaluate my thoughts after i finish crash 1, i remember feeling like they didn't really advance the game that much and a lot of the new stuff they tried was yeah kind of gimmicky

and thats another adventure island parallel, wow...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

i will get to them and reevaluate my thoughts after i finish crash 1, i remember feeling like they didn't really advance the game that much and a lot of the new stuff they tried was yeah kind of gimmicky

i can understand that with 3, i personally love it but you gotta be onboard with the hog levels, biplane levels and stuff, but 2 is really just a tighter evolution of 1 and i think the one most people say is best. its the one i played least when i was younger tho

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

jak and daxter also good. so is spyro and also rachet and clank. welcome to my TED talk called "ps1/2 platformers were good, actually"

but crash is a notch above the rest. the other 3 are solid. good games. fun. crash ps1 games are "top tier 3d platformers"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just cannot stand Crash's aesthetic, on all levels, I am sorry.

And I say this as a Knack apologist

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just cannot stand Crash's aesthetic, on all levels, I am sorry.

And I say this as a Knack apologist

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thehoodie posted:

How does MMBN hold up? I loved those games as a kid.

they're dope and i'm probably gonna play all but 4 because i've heard it's awful

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jean shorts and fingerless gloves, this bandicoot must get mad pussy at goon camp.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

what you don't like the next level you play to be decided by an egg roulette and to have to precisely rely on it when you die to the boss and he runs off to a different level?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jean shorts and fingerless gloves, this bandicoot must get mad pussy at goon camp.

The mask that says "Ooga Booga" every time you pick it up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What would Xbox's mascot have been if they dropped it in the Crash/Sonic era where every console had to have one

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

What would Xbox's mascot have been if they dropped it in the Crash/Sonic era where every console had to have one

Isn't John Halo their mascot

Or Kameo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

cheetah7071 posted:

muhthafukin Blinx the Timesweeper!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

its blinx

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's not from a published Sonic comic. Please tell me it's not.

It is not - it is from Penders' own self-drawn comic that is an attempt to follow up on the story he wove in his run as a Sonic comic guy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

non-remaster crash still has better animations

edit: i think crash was probably the first 3d game to get the character to really animate like a cartoon and they could like roll him flat or squash him down so he was just shoes and eyes and stuff

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dizzy fandom strong ITT tonight

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

It is not - it is from Penders' own self-drawn comic that is an attempt to follow up on the story he wove in his run as a Sonic comic guy.

Phew!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i was playing a cool video game then the right side of my d-pad stopped working so i'm going to bed

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

mutata posted:

Yeah it's pretty OK for a mascot platformer! Only a few real unfair sections in there and I could've done with a couple stronger TV themes than "Jungle" or "Asian" but it was solid.

I will never forget in the tally screen of the bonus round saying "close enough" to give me the secret world key. I never beat level one there but the thought counted.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

mutata posted:

Yeah it's pretty OK for a mascot platformer! Only a few real unfair sections in there and I could've done with a couple stronger TV themes than "Jungle" or "Asian" but it was solid.

But enough about Gex,

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

https://twitter.com/SuitablyB0r3d/status/1219488272449228800

A game dev spoke with kotaku about a sexual assault she suffered, and stuff that was supposed to be off the record involving the rape was included in the article.

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/what-its-like-sharing-your-metoo-with-kotaku-a-cautionary-tale

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kotaku is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dewgy posted:

I feel like goofing on you for this but you’re really not wrong. It’s at least as good as the original Rayman.

I got the original Rayman from my French exchange student who stayed with my family when I was in high school and it put me off the series until Rayman Origins. I liked Gex a lot better, although I haven't played it since it was new and I'm sure it hasn't aged well.