Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Genuinely, this thread has told you multiple times to get some help and you keep kramering in with a really lovely gimmick, why do you keep doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
didn't they get threadbanned at some point?

or was that one of the other lovely gimmick posters, it's easy to get them all confused

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Julio Cruz posted:

didn't they get threadbanned at some point?

or was that one of the other lovely gimmick posters, it's easy to get them all confused

that was Julio Cruz

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash took a voluntary holiday because she kept posting really weird poo poo like this and was aware the thread wasn’t benefitting her.

You’re thinking of Aceofflames, who is still threadbanned and thank gently caress.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Ash took a voluntary holiday because she kept posting really weird poo poo like this and was aware the thread wasn’t benefitting her.

You’re thinking of Aceofflames, who is still threadbanned and thank gently caress.

I just want to be free of this albatross around our collective necks okay without being materially worse off

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

(Also the idea that Galactic Republic bux are worthless on Tatooine is a bit silly, it might have been more awkward to convert them to local currency but it's not like if you go anywhere on Earth the US Dollar just straight up doesn't matter. You might not be able to convince a random store to take them but you can probably talk someone making a bespoke, high-value trade into it, even if you have to throw in a little extra to sweeten the deal or something.)

Maybe it actually is Space Weimar?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Brexit MEP complaining UK will have no representation in EU after 31st January for fishing rights discussions.

https://twitter.com/june_mummery/status/1219267050574618626?s=20

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They took his job

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ijclark/status/1219338322209837057?s=19

Lmao at everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joe McCarthy, noted fan of Stalin.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
"DEBOUNCED" :v:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
late night thought: has anyone tried to spin the miner's strike as "Thatcher taking on the fossil fuel industry" yet?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ash Crimson posted:

I just want to be free of this albatross around our collective necks okay without being materially worse off

There isn't really a way of seceding from a larger parent nation that won't leave you materially worse off in the short term.

Like I get it, England is terrible but we'd still be a wasteland of retired brexiters and no industry. It'd take decades to repair Wales. The EU money was nice. Shame.

Kinda related but there's a new retail park being built nearby and it's like 90% poundland style places. We're loving doomed.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 21, 2020

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Regarde Aduck posted:

There isn't really a way of seceding from a larger parent nation that won't leave you materially worse off in the short term.

Like I get it, England is terrible but we'd still be a wasteland of retired brexiters and no industry. It'd take decades to repair Wales. The EU money was nice. Shame.

Kinda related but there's a new retail park being built nearby and it's like 90% poundland style places. We're loving doomed.

If you've been to the United States pretty much the only business in some small towns now is the dollar store, gonna be most high streets in five years. There's also a increase in outlet malls usually outside urban centers. Basically in the US you have Whole Foods/Target/luxury everything and then you have the dollar stores, payday lending, and liquor stores.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mugrimm/status/1219314471014936578

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

Who is “our collective” comrade?

Holy moly the french are so good at industrial action

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is the "turn off the reactor" button not labeled "SORTEZ"

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Why is the "turn off the reactor" button not labeled "SORTEZ"

[In extremely french accent]
EH EZ CINQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I assume "arret turbine" means they're just turning off the spinny bit rather than the spicy bit, but I am genuinely curious what the french word for SCRAM is given that it's not actually an acronym.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Haha love to see an article where Joseph Campbell gets called an antisemite and ur- fascist, and the Phantom Menace is defended from "the nerds". Doubly funny that it is written by pretentious sex wronger Sam Kriss

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You should have told me about the star wars pod, I have a Palpatine impression I stole from the Game Grumps and lots of opinions about the hosed up situation involving droids.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I assume "arret turbine" means they're just turning off the spinny bit rather than the spicy bit, but I am genuinely curious what the french word for SCRAM is given that it's not actually an acronym.

Do these turbines have the fun mode where the control rods fuse with the fuel block when they're turned off wrong?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

The Deleter posted:

You should have told me about the star wars pod, I have a Palpatine impression I stole from the Game Grumps and lots of opinions about the hosed up situation involving droids.

Has anyone pointed out yet that the ‘wings’ of the ship piloted by Rebel hero Luke make the exact angle of the Confederate battle flag?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we're finally safe

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1219528537260142592

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

:psyduck: are lie detectors even valid in UK courts?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Nope. This is policy designed to appeal to the Jeremy Kyle crowd.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lie detectors are famously easy to fool with the right training and even without it are unreliable as all hell. I'm convinced that there must be more than a few poor sods who went on Jeremy Kyle to prove their innocence and were wrongly 'found' to be cheating.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Miftan posted:

Not as evidence, no. The best they can be used for is to prompt that more investigation might be needed. Because they’re not science.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

It's AUG or Arret d'Urgence General

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I wish that kind of fire was over here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I had a friend take a lie detector that said they were lying about not doing coke and/or heroin on the job (Airport security!). I know for a fact they didn't because they're a massive loving nerd and they still couldn't be fired without a confession they refused to give. It was all pretty funny and after being off work with pay for 3 weeks they came back and nobody mentioned it. Oh also the test was administered by the Shin Bet and apparently they don't really know how to 'interrogate' nicely and kept shouting at my friend to confess.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We're not yet at torturing terrorists so putting each one through their own episode of Jeremy Kyle is the closest the hate boners can get

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Waiting for the inevitable Lee Hurst tweet about how you'd have no choice but to use a lie detector if a terrorist had strapped a bomb to your baby :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Loving all the twitter comments about how everyone who's convicted of a terrorism is both 100% guilty and 100% irredeemable and so there's no point doing lie detectors anyway just lock them up forever.

You'd have thought that Blair's dumbfuck antiterror laws would have caught up a suitably sympathetic (read white and probably a blonde woman) 'terrorist' by now to have a good counterexample in popular culture but it seems to be all Bangladeshi politics students and kids on the autism spectrum.

Red Oktober posted:

Not as evidence, no. The best they can be used for is to prompt that more investigation might be needed. Because they’re not science.
tbf there's nothing that says that the Crown Court of England and Wales has to do things on the basis of them being science or not.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting post about Star Wars.

You raise an interesting point.

The thing is in Star Wars, you dont get Force Powers by being Special. You are special because you have Force Powers.

And I know that sounds like meaningless semantics but it's not.
Using the Force is not something everyone can do. And that's a feature of genre fiction.

But unlike in some ( like UK Mega Thread favourite Harry Potter where using magic is explicitly tied to you having the right bloodlines so it matters whom your ancestors were.) Having Force potential arises all over the Galaxy.
Weather you are born into a noble house or born into indentured servitude.

The Star Wars films focused on one particular Jedi and his kids, but they always made it clear there had been thousands of other Jedi from various other backgrounds. And the Expanded Universe focused on plenty of other characters from other backgrounds, both Force users and non Force Users.

The big thing that I got from the new trilogy was how overjoyed my wife and daughter were at watching a film have a female Jedi in training front and centre and seeing representation done that way. Sure I could have pointed them to a bunch of old EU novels with female Jedi in them, but seeing the new films made them happy.
(Though my wife hated the Last Jedi as well. She did not like how most of Rei's plot from the 7th film got walked back.)

The message from Star Wars has always been "evil monolithic Empires have to get wrecked by diverse groups of heroes."
Not "this evil Empire and your Resistance are fundamentally the same. You should wait for the next election and fight back when you are able to rally all the people on your side who totally exist but are just in hiding."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You'd have thought that Blair's dumbfuck antiterror laws would have caught up a suitably sympathetic (read white and probably a blonde woman) 'terrorist' by now

:thunk: It's almost as though the enforcement of those laws has some kind of bias...:thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You'd think there'd be one within 20 years though. There's a limit to how biased you can make something without one sympathetic figure getting caught up in it, that's more often than not how civil rights has progressed, rather than on some overarching arc of the moral universe bending towards justice.

Unless they're really good at avoiding that, and you can accuse them of a lot of things but...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Loving all the twitter comments about how everyone who's convicted of a terrorism is both 100% guilty and 100% irredeemable and so there's no point doing lie detectors anyway just lock them up forever.

You'd have thought that Blair's dumbfuck antiterror laws would have caught up a suitably sympathetic (read white and probably a blonde woman) 'terrorist' by now to have a good counterexample in popular culture but it seems to be all Bangladeshi politics students and kids on the autism spectrum.

The British Judicial system did a very good job railroading innocent Irish people into being considered as Terrorists in the 70's and 80's.

Should the new Boarder stuff go badly I would say those Blair laws may end up doing the same in the near future.

As for Polygraphs they are super bullshit. I've lost track of the number of clients who have offered to do them and how I have had explain how it is all nonsense.
And even if the science was sound (and it's not) you get no benefit from it. If you pass those tests the results are either not kept or stuck in some distant file never to be brought up.
If you fail then they will keep pointing back to that test in a *nudge nudge. He's guilty* without ever explicitly saying it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

You'd think there'd be one within 20 years though. There's a limit to how biased you can make something without one sympathetic figure getting caught up in it, that's more often than not how civil rights has progressed, rather than on some overarching arc of the moral universe bending towards justice.

Unless they're really good at avoiding that, and you can accuse them of a lot of things but...

Owen Jones' sister got caught up in some terrorist law bs in the airport when she was around the G20 or G8 protests in Germany a year or two back, but never made it to proper jail because (I assume) she's white. Got her laptop essentially stolen off her though and delayed 12 hours or something?

e oh also she's a leftist which is a proper use of anti terror laws according to the govt anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

e oh also she's a leftist which is a proper use of anti terror laws according to the govt anyway
O cool this is topical again