Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In retrospect, I don't consume nearly enough Japanese media to make the claim of "always."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zomborgon posted:

I know in Pokemon you see Senpai and Kouhai get swapped to Senior and Junior. More of a relative thing, though.

I think that what they literally mean.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Junpei posted:

Do high school year have names like in America? Which one is skipped? Freshman -> Sophmore -> Junior? Freshman -> Sophmore -> Senior? Freshman -> Junior -> Senior? Sophmore -> Junior -> Senior?
Japan's basic system is 6 years of elementary, 3 years of middle school (junior high), 3 years of high school (and possibly 4+ years of university).
Deku's class is going from 10th grade to 11th grade.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think that what they literally mean.

More or less but it's interpersonal relationships, not "year two is always sophomore regardless of people involved"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GuyUpNorth posted:

More or less but it's interpersonal relationships, not "year two is always sophomore regardless of people involved"

Correct like calling someone Senpai is calling them your senior.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1219539374804619264?s=20

:woop:

EDIT: https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1219562097383600129

Horikoshi: "I wonder how they're going to do the 'Romeo & Juliet and the Prisoner of Azkaban' part."

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 21, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rhonne posted:

Horikoshi: "I wonder how they're going to do the 'Romeo & Juliet and the Prisoner of Azkaban' part."

This has to fall under parody, right?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Hopefully it will. One episode-length parody.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

I, too, look forward to the anime adaptation of Romero and Julia's Legally Distinct Prison Inmate.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1219539374804619264?s=20

:woop:

:sickos:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Somewhere I imagine a Editor cupping his head in his hands going "Please stop making pop culture references" to Horikoshi

Shadowlyger posted:

This has to fall under parody, right?

Technically none of the stuff that usually gets edited in Western subs is really actionable but CR & co seem to lean on the side of caution and just rename anything that whiffs even slightly of copyright or trademark.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The stands in JoJo are pretty much 100 percent fine in the US copyright system but lawsuits are so abusable even in open and shut cases they probably don't consider it worth it.

Which is funny because Bleach is named after Kubo's favorite Nirvana song.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't remember does the Aoyama chapter happen before or after the culture festival?

Cause I want to anime thread's reaction to that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
does everyone remember all of deku's other narration ? cause boy is over dramatic AF.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't remember does the Aoyama chapter happen before or after the culture festival?

Cause I want to anime thread's reaction to that.

It's the lead in to the Culture Festival, so right after Todoroki and Bakugou defeat the school children.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fabricated posted:

Which is funny because Bleach is named after Kubo's favorite Nirvana song album.

Fixed that for you.

That's interesting trivia though, I'm not sure how I never knew that until now. I am surprised I never looked up the reason for the title, since it clearly had nothing to do at all with the story.

I was a bit let down by the Midoriya/Eri 100% fight in the anime. Maybe it was better in my head

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Teen Spirit probably would've been a good name for Bleach tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kidcoelacanth posted:

gently caress

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1219610546435055616?s=19

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That Todoroki moon is :perfect:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kidcoelacanth posted:

God drat.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yet another case of squandered potential.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1220015106186043394?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Christ almighty!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They're going to have to find a new animation team for the anime, then, unless they're fine with how the Overhaul arc turned out.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I feel like there will be no in between with this move. It will either backfire horribly and kill the series or push it to heights yet imagined.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like there will be no in between with this move. It will either backfire horribly and kill the series or push it to heights yet imagined.

I find anime movies of ongoing series to be extremely bland/uninteresting. There are no real stakes, the characters will inevitably never been seen again, and any growth, new knowledge, new moves--everything-- that old characters obtain do not matter. They're limited in their scope as to not to spoil anime-only watchers, and the stories are usually derivative as all hell. It just feels like a higher budget hour and a half long filler episode.

Recent exceptions to this: Dragon Ball Z BOG, RoF, and Broly, Naruto Boruto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You're either gonna have to just do entire arcs as movies, or commit to the movies being non Canon mostly (think one piece), or changing how you write the manga.

Maybe time skip the manga and fill it in with movies?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This isn't really unusual is it? How many basically non-canon Naruto and One Piece movies are there?

I thought the first one was a fun Die Hard lite. I'm not exactly excited at the prospect of a bunch of transient filler movies but I'll take some more spectacularly animated punches if that's what they wanna give me.

I'd also like to see a prequel where All Might just jumps around skyscrapers and obliterates villains for 90 minutes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Prowler posted:

I find anime movies of ongoing series to be extremely bland/uninteresting. There are no real stakes, the characters will inevitably never been seen again, and any growth, new knowledge, new moves--everything-- that old characters obtain do not matter. They're limited in their scope as to not to spoil anime-only watchers, and the stories are usually derivative as all hell. It just feels like a higher budget hour and a half long filler episode.

Recent exceptions to this: Dragon Ball Z BOG, RoF, and Broly, Naruto Boruto.

All of those exceptions are canonical moves made by the actual writer of the series though. They're a very different beast than non-canon movies created by Toei writers for the sole purpouse of exploiting a profitable franchise.

Some of those are good, don't get me wrong (Fusion Reborn is one of the best DB movies, One Piece has some really good ones like Baron Omatsuri too) but overall...they don't tend to be great, and all of what you've said rings true.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A lot of the early Naruto movies were disposable but they did let you watch cool animated action sequences and side characters doing cool stuff.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fabricated posted:

You're either gonna have to just do entire arcs as movies, or commit to the movies being non Canon mostly (think one piece), or changing how you write the manga.

Maybe time skip the manga and fill it in with movies?

If it weren’t for the fact that it’s basically a requirement for the main character and most popular characters to star front and centre in every Shōnen Jump movie I’d say these would be great opportunities to do content starring side characters. Like how Horikoshi once mentioned offhandedly he wanted to do a Mina and Selo adventure sometime.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In before someone requests a Froppy movie.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main issue with these kind of movies is that they broadly try to emulate the structure of the series they came from and generally you just can't. There's no time to introduce a few new villains and have an ensemble cast fight them all, as well as have a compelling story on top. Battle of Gods just about works because there's one major fight scene and only a few brief scuffles against Beerus to establish him as a threat and occasionally remind you of the stakes. Most of the movie is just the DBZ cast loving around at a birthday party.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
From what I've heard, the current movie we are waiting for is Actually Really Good though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I don't remember that working out well for the Frieza Arc.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The only problem I have with this is them constantly movie anime staff way to work on the movies. If they can find a better way to handle that, then it's not a big deal.

I don't mind a bunch of movies though, Two Heroes was a lot of fun and Heroes Rising looks real good(even though I've already been spoiled on the climax thanks to twitter and youtube recommendations! :argh:)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This could be a good way to cover stuff only hinted at in the Manga. Like I would love to see a movie covering the proper fight between All Might and All for One, and the moment when the legacy of One for All began.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Vigilantes as a movie series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

As much as I'd love that doing a movie without Deku seems like a hard sell to the viewers and bigwigs.