Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not a huge star wars fan. I like the original trilogy and do not mind the prequel trilogy, but I love the new trilogy the most. It is a ton of fun and I think they were made more for someone like me who was not big on the original stuff.

I have not seen solo or rogue one and never read any of the EU books. I have played a few of the video games and they were a lot of fun, but I am just an average movie goer :)

100: The best big round number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I really do like this thread, but no one so far has reached the heights of just wild and enthralling interpretations as the Star Wars CineD threads. I'm not even that interested in Star Wars as a franchise but that thread makes me want to watch all of the movies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/theidsmiths/status/1219599147512336384?s=21

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the best star wars is fallen order which I am finally able to play again after spending over a week trying to stop EA Origin from being the biggest colossal pile of poo poo in the known universe

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tesseraction posted:

the best star wars is fallen order which I am finally able to play again after spending over a week trying to stop EA Origin from being the biggest colossal pile of poo poo in the known universe

I like how a valid point was raised about their objective that they actually acted on. As a game it's good with some mechanical letdowns, but as SW lore very strong.

Part of my disappointment at Rise was it seemed the guiding hand to the unified lore was keeping things cohesive and high quality. The comics and books are good, doing much more to explore the setting outside the main characters, both reusing the best of the EU like Thrawn whilst making strong new contributions like Doctor Aphra. Rise seems to disregard a lot of TLJ as many note, but Awakens too, and it contradicts some other established stuff too for no benefit.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gorn Myson posted:

I really do like this thread, but no one so far has reached the heights of just wild and enthralling interpretations as the Star Wars CineD threads. I'm not even that interested in Star Wars as a franchise but that thread makes me want to watch all of the movies.

Yeah, once you've immersed yourself in The Terror of the CineD Star Wars Discourse™ this all seems like some weak-rear end poo poo.

This thread:

ThomasPaine posted:

star wars is so loving bad

red lightsaber man bad, blue lightsaber man good, i am a very smart boy and you should definitely spend hours dissecting the deep lore of background character 'blarba spalooga' friends, it would be an excellent use of your time

CineD:

quote:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on each others' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that at least two of the nominations and three of the answers for Jess Phillips aren't 'Jess Phillips'.
Now picturing Jess Phillips as the Matt Damon puppet in Team America, where the only thing she says is "Jeeeeessss Philllllipssss."

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Venomous posted:

The only good expanded universe things were Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animated series and Knights of the Old Republic II

the rest can gently caress a duck tbh

e: they have the entire Clone Wars series on YouTube!!! that's the rest of my morning gone lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdlwZUO5mo

Wasn't KoTOR II an unplayable buggy piece of poo poo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what the internet has done to me that the first thing I think of when I hear of sonic the heghog filling his belly, is mpreg.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The best new Star Wars property is The Mandolorian.

Fight me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

There are fan patches. I was able to get 95% of the way through a playthrough with no real issues.

When people talk up KOTOR II they usually mean the writing though, so the "unplayable" part is less of an impediment than you might expect. It's an Avellone joint with a cynical and iconoclastic take on the franchise's mythology. Lots of solid character writing, overt interrogation of implicit thematics, that sort of thing.

I'm pretty cool on Avellone these days, but it's definitely a less disposable experience than KOTOR I, which is a Disney theme park ride through Star Wars tropes in videogame form.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Buggy and incomplete, but not unplayable, and with greater depth to its systems and some more interesting character-work than KOTOR 1.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It was badly broken and generally unfinished but fans recovered some of the unfinished stuff and stuck it in a mod and so all these years later it works and is really interesting because it goes places Star Wars doesn't.

My other contributions are CineD just watches movies entirely differently to me: sometimes light entertainment doesn't need 15000 words written on it. Nothing wrong if you want to look into that but not my cuppa.

I liked the Kieron Gillen written Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra comic books.

I saw the first of the Abrams films and it was fine but also not interesting enough for me to actually bother seeing anything else they've made since.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My favourite thing about CineD Star Wars discourse was that they spent years convincing themselves that actually the prequels were good because despite what many say, they are totally in keeping with the tone of the OT and full of references to those films. And then when The Force Awakens came out and nerds liked it, they argued that that film was bad because it was totally in keeping with the tone of the OT and full of references to those films.

My opinion of Hbomberguy dropped a good chunk when I found out he'd been taken in by that bollocks.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what the internet has done to me that the first thing I think of when I hear of sonic the heghog filling his belly, is mpreg.

The abyss has stared back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Was I ever really not the abyss though? I suppose there must have been a time before I was internet poisoned but I do not remember it. It is an old, dead self, my living self is made of memes and mpreg and communism.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1219595203482353664

Womp womp?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

Now picturing Jess Phillips as the Matt Damon puppet in Team America, where the only thing she says is "Jeeeeessss Philllllipssss."

You know I was always curious why they singled him out as being dumb so I Googled it and he had also asked Parker and Stone about it - apparently it wasn't intentional, they originally planned for him to be normal but the puppet Matt Damon they received looked really dumb and they didn't have time to have it remade so they just rewrote the script to make him sound as dumb as the puppet looked + could only say his own name.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's actually bad if Phillips pulls out because we want the Labour right vote to be as fractured as possible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Was I ever really not the abyss though? I suppose there must have been a time before I was internet poisoned but I do not remember it. It is an old, dead self, my living self is made of memes and mpreg and communism.
mpreg layer 2

ThomasPaine posted:

It's actually bad if Phillips pulls out because we want the Labour right vote to be as fractured as possible
Was anyone on the right actually voting for her tho?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guavanaut posted:

mpreg layer 2

Was anyone on the right actually voting for her tho?

It sounds like she won't make it to the ballot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

It doesn't matter. If Starmer would get enough votes from Jessflaps supporters in round 1 to win then he would have just gotten them in round 2 instead.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
i hope it was because of the yougov poll yesterday that asked you to rate each candidate on characteristics such as 'out for themselves' 'arrogant' and 'smug'

(there were positive ones too they were just the ones i selected for jessflaps)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Star Wars Episode I Racer (aka PODRACING) was loving lit imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Star Wars Episode I Racer (aka PODRACING) was loving lit imo

Was that just on the N64? Or was it just Rogue Squadron that was N64 exclusive?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

forkboy84 posted:

Was that just on the N64? Or was it just Rogue Squadron that was N64 exclusive?

Nah I had it on PC

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
PODRA sounds like a Eurofash party.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

It doesn't matter. If Starmer would get enough votes from Jessflaps supporters in round 1 to win then he would have just gotten them in round 2 instead.

Preference voting does tend to lead to some counterintuitive results though. It makes a lot more sense for Nandy and Philips to attack Starmer than RLB because the election is basically Labour Left vs. Rest Of World and they know they're not picking off any likely RLB voters, which means they probably start to lose second- and third-pref votes from Starmer voters, which are as likely to go to RLB as anywhere else.

This is why I think Starmer's campaign is almost certainly arm-bending the hell out of Philips and Nandy to stand down, figuring in a straight one on one race they *probably* have the edge, but that there are possibly enough "Starmer 1st RLB 2nd" voters to tip it her way. Now you may think there's not many people with prefs in that order but a) Starmer probably has ~40% of the first-choice votes locked down, meaning b) it only takes a relatively small percentage of those voters to tip a second round runoff in RLB's favour, and c) an awful lot of people - even in AV - hate to be seen backing a "loser" and so will emotionally hedge their bets by going that way.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's been said on this page, but nevertheless: the Restored Content Mod loving rules and makes said unplayable buggy piece of poo poo one of the best RPGs ever made

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

You know I was always curious why they singled him out as being dumb so I Googled it and he had also asked Parker and Stone about it - apparently it wasn't intentional, they originally planned for him to be normal but the puppet Matt Damon they received looked really dumb and they didn't have time to have it remade so they just rewrote the script to make him sound as dumb as the puppet looked + could only say his own name.

When I played City of Heroes I made a super strong hero called Matt Damon who looked like the puppet and conversed with every other hero just saying Matt Damon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The entire Star Wars movie canon is held up by Empire Strikes Back. Noone would give a poo poo if that film didn't exist, it's the load bearing pillar in the whole franchise.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Goddamnedtwisto is right, the best Star Wars thing was Tie Fighter (x-wing alliance gets a close second)

Really buzzing for the Jessflips announcement to be a really lukewarm endorsement of starmer where she pretends she’s been nothing but flattering towards him the whole time so she can think she’s got a sniff of a shadow cabinet position.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Goddamnedtwisto is right, the best Star Wars thing was Tie Fighter (x-wing alliance gets a close second)

Really buzzing for the Jessflips announcement to be a really lukewarm endorsement of starmer where she pretends she’s been nothing but flattering towards him the whole time so she can think she’s got a sniff of a shadow cabinet position.

Not sure Jessflaps could handle collective responsibility, her urge to talk about Jess Phillips would be too strong

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jess Phillips MP, shadow Secretary of State for Jess Phillips

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ep1 had the podracing sequence and I will forgive it many things for that alone, because the N64 game it spawned was aces.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

My opinion of Hbomberguy dropped a good chunk when I found out he'd been taken in by that bollocks.
They're movies about space wizards.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tesseraction posted:

I think they are also mates irl iirc

Same as George Clooney who was in south park but only as the barking voice of a dog

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

They're movies about space wizards.

Harry Potter for gen-x and late boomrrs

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

thespaceinvader posted:

Ep1 had the podracing sequence and I will forgive it many things for that alone, because the N64 game it spawned was aces.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hbomberguy has entirely correct opinions about Fallout, Dark Souls and Sherlock, so he still gets a pass.