Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I figure punishments like decimation are an even more terrible idea than normal when you're fighting a peer like the Persians. You may well not be able to afford the losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Power Khan posted:

Roman or persian manner. Hm, I don't really know alot about this period, but I think they mean the way of release.

Fingers vs. Shooting aid

I was thinking split-finger draw (English style) versus thumb draw but I honestly don't know if the Romans used the split-finger draw in the first place.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Apparently yes, but they also used shooting aids that have been called gemini rings. Idk much about those, I've heard people discussing that not all of these finds are actual rings for shooting, but some of them are.

There's a couple of Sassanid depictions that show a variation of thumb release, but with a sort of glove and weird position of the index finger, etc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Power Khan posted:

Apparently yes, but they also used shooting aids that have been called gemini rings. Idk much about those, I've heard people discussing that not all of these finds are actual rings for shooting, but some of them are.

There's a couple of Sassanid depictions that show a variation of thumb release, but with a sort of glove and weird position of the index finger, etc.

So the books has in a footnote:

It seems the Roman manner, taken from steppe nomads consisted of drawing the bowstring with thumb and forefinger, whereas the Persians did it with the the lower three fingers"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Could it be something as simple as Roman=uncounted, Persian=mounted.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

LingcodKilla posted:

Could it be something as simple as Roman=uncounted, Persian=mounted.

No because this section is also talking about the cavalry in the tagmata and talking about how soldiers need to know how to fire from horseback and on the move.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

that's interesting. Possibly related, but in the late empire we also see Roman cavalry equipment being influenced both by Persian gear and from the steppe nomads north of the Danube. I could see that kind of training entering military custom at the same time as the equipment

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is Persian Fire by Tom Holland a good book on Persia? Or should I go for something else? I'd really like to learn more about Persian history and I haven't really read anything other than bits and pieces in books about Greece or Rome.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jack2142 posted:

It seems the Roman manner, taken from steppe nomads consisted of drawing the bowstring with thumb and forefinger, whereas the Persians did it with the the lower three fingers"

Did they wear any sort of hand gear when drawing with their thumbs and forefingers? That method seems like it'd be...painful and bothersome, I guess

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Fader Movitz posted:

Is Persian Fire by Tom Holland a good book on Persia? Or should I go for something else? I'd really like to learn more about Persian history and I haven't really read anything other than bits and pieces in books about Greece or Rome.

I read it and it seemed okay. There were a couple of hilarious bits in how he presented the Persia/Greece dynamic Persia is the USA-analog superpower, Greece is the mountainous, impoverished, backwards terrorist state far away.

But ultimately the book's letdown is that it focused mostly on the war with Greece that gets covered in so many other books. I read it wanting to learn more about Achaeminid Persia itself and came away disappointed, but I think part of the reason for that is that there are vanishingly few surviving Persian primary sources, so mostly things have to get pieced together from the (still rare) Greek sources.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Communist Walrus posted:

Did they wear any sort of hand gear when drawing with their thumbs and forefingers? That method seems like it'd be...painful and bothersome, I guess

You can wear a thumb ring but your thumb also sort of gets used to it after a while.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jack2142 posted:

I'm pretty sure that this one of the cases where the author doesn't understand what he's talking about.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think Persian Fire was even attempting to be an exploration of Persia. It's just a narrative history of the Greek/Persian wars, and a good one. If you're looking for a book on Persia specifically, look elsewhere

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Any suggestions for a book actually focused on Persia, then?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Power Khan posted:

I'm pretty sure that this one of the cases where the author doesn't understand what he's talking about.

Could you please elaborate on why its wrong, as someone who knows nothing of archery I am interested to know why this seems nonsensical to you? You certainly from your posts know a lot on this topic.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I honestly don't recall offhand any draw styles using the bottom three fingers, it seems a bit poor for heavy weights. There's something involving middle/ring and a specialized tab with index for guiding the arrow, Apparently, but I'm no sure I've ever seen it in motion.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jack2142 posted:

Could you please elaborate on why its wrong, as someone who knows nothing of archery I am interested to know why this seems nonsensical to you? You certainly from your posts know a lot on this topic.

Specifically because thumb release doesn't work like that. What he describes is a sort of pinch draw that's depicted on some antique greek vases. It's useless for holding anything else other than light practice bows.

Thumb draw with a ring looks like making a wrong boxing fist fist, with the thumb enclosed by index and middle finger (at least for a heavy warbow). There's other variations of that, but that one is the only one that reliably works for very strong bows.

Apart from that, the romans used all sorts of releases, including what's today dubbed as mediterranean

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

"Hey babe, wanna see a Mediterranean release?" :wiggle:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/14/experience-i-killed-my-classmate-with-a-javelin

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo I'm amazed that school didn't get in more trouble.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not like they put poor Sammy in a tank.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Does anyone have informative on Sub-Saharan African people in the Empire, from Roman sources and archaeology within the Empire. Any period from establishment to CE 410. I know about the archaeology and some written sources about areas outside the Empire and how they interacted, but am specifically interested on Sub-Saharan Africans within the Empire, especially Roman Britain and the Italian Peninsula.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KiteAuraan posted:

Does anyone have informative on Sub-Saharan African people in the Empire, from Roman sources and archaeology within the Empire. Any period from establishment to CE 410. I know about the archaeology and some written sources about areas outside the Empire and how they interacted, but am specifically interested on Sub-Saharan Africans within the Empire, especially Roman Britain and the Italian Peninsula.

I’ve got an article about this somewhere, let me see if I can dig it up from my post history

Here we go. A lot of it is taking a look at the impressively racist assumptions made by moderns about the ancient world, but there’s a lot of material about actual Roman attitudes towards blacks and blackness as well. The author later expanded this into a full book, “Romans and Blacks” — I haven’t read it, but you can apparently get a used copy (with “musty odor”!) on amazon for a couple bucks.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 17, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skasion posted:

“musty odor”

:actually: I think you'll find that's the sweet scent of the collected wisdom of generations seeping from the graven pages?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kylaer posted:

Any suggestions for a book actually focused on Persia, then?

Ancient Persia by Matt Waters is a good general history of the Achaemenids, and I think I got recommended it in this thread.

I'm not sure if it's region locked but the BBC's In Our Time also had an episode on Persepolis which you can listen to on Spotify.

Don't know of any that focus on the Sassanids though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

So I'm in Rome this week. I've already got plans for a lot of the obvious stuff--touring the Mausoleum of Augustus, going up to Castel Sant'Angelo, that sort of thing, but I figured I'd lazyweb it--what's a cool place I should check out but probably haven't thought of?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ostia, and if you have time Westia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AFashionableHat posted:

So I'm in Rome this week. I've already got plans for a lot of the obvious stuff--touring the Mausoleum of Augustus, going up to Castel Sant'Angelo, that sort of thing, but I figured I'd lazyweb it--what's a cool place I should check out but probably haven't thought of?

Largo di Torre Argentina: Cat sanctuary and where Julius Caesar was murdered.
National Etruscan Museum: Etruscans get overlooked.
Curia Julia: Caesar's senate house, which is still in good condition since it was used as a church. Easy to overlook in the forum. The original awesome doors have been removed and are now at the Basilica of St. John Lateran.
Lapis Niger: Another easy to overlook thing in the forum. Ancient, possibly pre-Roman shrine site that has a lot of myth connections, also the oldest Latin inscription was found here.

Also excellent decision to be there in January, I was there in August and... I do not recommend that.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I don't know how well known they are, but first, the Baths of Caracalla. Second, the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs, first, because it was designed by Michelangelo, and second, it was the former site of the Baths of Diocletian. Also, for more ancient Roman stuff, the Palazzo Valentini. They found a bunch of ancient Roman homes underneath it, and have used visual technology to sort of recreate them.

Also, while it's not ancient Roman stuff, there's the Villa Medici, which was built by the Medici and is now owned by the French government, and also the Protestant Cemetery, where Keats and Shelley are buried.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arglebargle III posted:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

:stare:

Grand Fromage posted:

Largo di Torre Argentina: Cat sanctuary and where Julius Caesar was murdered.
This was a Good Call. And so, for you, respectively:

quote:

This is tomorrow. I am really excited. I too have thought that the Etruscans get no respect.

quote:

Curia Julia: Caesar's senate house, which is still in good condition since it was used as a church. Easy to overlook in the forum. The original awesome doors have been removed and are now at the Basilica of St. John Lateran.
Lapis Niger: Another easy to overlook thing in the forum. Ancient, possibly pre-Roman shrine site that has a lot of myth connections, also the oldest Latin inscription was found here.
We walked around the upper walkways but I don't think my girlfriend would've wanted to spend the entire rest of the day gawking at things from ground level, and I do, so I'll probably go back some evening this week.

quote:

Also excellent decision to be there in January, I was there in August and... I do not recommend that.
Weather is perfect. 60F high, 39F low. I could have walked around without a jacket today. I don't understand how a bunch of other people were walking around in black puff coats, I'd have literally died.

It's also incredibly, incredibly cheap. Boston->Zurich->Rome and back, plus six nights in a completely reasonable hotel that is literally-not-figuratively down the hill from...

Epicurius posted:

the Villa Medici

...which we're going to tomorrow on the way to the National Etruscan Museum. Total price, $670 per person. I might die screaming in the hotel shuttle that goes three thousand miles per hour on the way back to the airport, but I'll die happy.

Epicurius posted:

I don't know how well known they are, but first, the Baths of Caracalla. Second, the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs, first, because it was designed by Michelangelo, and second, it was the former site of the Baths of Diocletian. Also, for more ancient Roman stuff, the Palazzo Valentini. They found a bunch of ancient Roman homes underneath it, and have used visual technology to sort of recreate them.
:yeah:

I think this'll be Thursday and Friday stuff. Thanks.

One of the more interesting things about this trip to me is that I can recognize stuff by name, but by sight is way harder even when I know what something looks like. Seeing things placed in context is not how Americans understand history, ffs. :colbert:

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 21, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

St Peters in Vatican is also great.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

We also tried to go to the Mausoleum of Augustus (as I figure it's a good idea to go see it before the fascists come back) and were thwarted--it was due to be open last April, but appears not to be. But I did take my favorite and dubiously-relevant picture of all time while there so I consider it a fair trade.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
For those of us who most likely won't go to Rome any time soon, there's this guy who does youtube videos of ancient & medieval places. Prowalk Tours.

He has these amazing high def videos of where he went. I highly recommend, his videos are great. he just walks around and doesn't talk. It's all sights, no "HEY TRERERERE PROWALKTOUR GUY HERE FOR YOu..." kind of bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCNzul4dnciIlDg8BAcn5-cQ <-- His channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHr-RlJqWU <---- Roman Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeApHXIiLbo <---- Palatine Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJeF7hDB0UA <--- Colosseum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B54PR2kvWE <--- St peter's basilica

and there is sooo much more.

For those of us who can't go but really want to see the sights, thses are the video's to watch.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

People, if you want to look at a whole lot of pottery and then even more pottery (and, in fairness, some bronze), this is the place for you. Read a book before going though. They made the curious decision to set it up mostly geographically (so it goes Vulci, Cerveteri, Tarquinia, Veii, etc.) instead of chronologically, so you find yourself jumping back to the 6th century a lot without a lot of place-setting to ground what you're seeing; my girlfriend got a little lost and I only remembered parts of the story myself so I wasn't a ton of help. But there are some heckin' rad tombs just lifted and set right back down in the basement.

The Villa Giulia in which the museum is housed is also really cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After bouncing off of Thucydides, I've been reading Xenophon's Hellenika and finding it a lot more engaging (though I'm keeping in mind the introduction's repeated warnings that he's both extremely biased and somewhat careless). But every so often there'll be a footnote referring to a past event described by Thucydides that sounds pretty drat cool. The part that sparked this post was Xenophon describing Theramenes' death and the footnote referring to his role in the time of the Four Hundred. Thinking back, Thucydides was mostly only boring when the narrative was on "and then an Athenian proxy polis and a Spartan proxy polis fought an inconclusive battle and both of them went home having accomplished nothing. This happened another five times this year, all of which I will describe separately". Things like Pericles rallying the Athenians when the plague came were pretty cool. So I guess my question is, is there any resource that lists the highlights of Thucydides? I feel bad for wanting to skim through the father of scholarly history but he is not an easy read

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I think Xenophon is just a much more engaging author, probably because so much of what he describes is stuff he actually saw and did. Although I've only read Anabasis, so I can't comment on his other work. My impression of him and Thucydides seems similar to yours though. I listened to The History of the Peloponnesian war on audiobook and there were definitely moments when I zoned out, and it was impossible to keep track of where all the action was.

Anyway here's my favorite quote from Thucydides, describing the Revolutions that beset Corcyra and many other Greek cities as the chaos of war engulfed the Hellenes.

quote:

The Corcyraeans, made aware of the approach of the Athenian fleet and of the departure of the enemy, brought the Messenians from outside the walls into the town, and ordered the fleet which they had manned to sail round into the Hyllaic harbour; and while it was so doing, slew such of their enemies as they laid hands on, dispatching afterwards, as they landed them, those whom they had persuaded to go on board the ships. Next they went to the sanctuary of Hera and persuaded about fifty men to take their trial, and condemned them all to death. The mass of the suppliants who had refused to do so, on seeing what was taking place, slew each other there in the consecrated ground; while some hanged themselves upon the trees, and others destroyed themselves as they were severally able. During seven days that Eurymedon stayed with his sixty ships, the Corcyraeans were engaged in butchering those of their fellow citizens whom they regarded as their enemies: and although the crime imputed was that of attempting to put down the democracy, some were slain also for private hatred, others by their debtors because of the moneys owed to them. Death thus raged in every shape; and, as usually happens at such times, there was no length to which violence did not go; sons were killed by their fathers, and suppliants dragged from the altar or slain upon it; while some were even walled up in the temple of Dionysus and died there.

So bloody was the march of the revolution, and the impression which it made was the greater as it was one of the first to occur. Later on, one may say, the whole Hellenic world was convulsed; struggles being every, where made by the popular chiefs to bring in the Athenians, and by the oligarchs to introduce the Lacedaemonians. In peace there would have been neither the pretext nor the wish to make such an invitation; but in war, with an alliance always at the command of either faction for the hurt of their adversaries and their own corresponding advantage, opportunities for bringing in the foreigner were never wanting to the revolutionary parties. The sufferings which revolution entailed upon the cities were many and terrible, such as have occurred and always will occur, as long as the nature of mankind remains the same; though in a severer or milder form, and varying in their symptoms, according to the variety of the particular cases. In peace and prosperity, states and individuals have better sentiments, because they do not find themselves suddenly confronted with imperious necessities; but war takes away the easy supply of daily wants, and so proves a rough master, that brings most men's characters to a level with their fortunes.

Revolution thus ran its course from city to city, and the places which it arrived at last, from having heard what had been done before, carried to a still greater excess the refinement of their inventions, as manifested in the cunning of their enterprises and the atrocity of their reprisals. Words had to change their ordinary meaning and to take that which was now given them. Reckless audacity came to be considered the courage of a loyal ally; prudent hesitation, specious cowardice; moderation was held to be a cloak for unmanliness; ability to see all sides of a question, inaptness to act on any. Frantic violence became the attribute of manliness; cautious plotting, a justifiable means of self-defence. The advocate of extreme measures was always trustworthy; his opponent a man to be suspected. To succeed in a plot was to have a shrewd head, to divine a plot a still shrewder; but to try to provide against having to do either was to break up your party and to be afraid of your adversaries
. In fine, to forestall an intending criminal, or to suggest the idea of a crime where it was wanting, was equally commended until even blood became a weaker tie than party, from the superior readiness of those united by the latter to dare everything without reserve; for such associations had not in view the blessings derivable from established institutions but were formed by ambition for their overthrow; and the confidence of their members in each other rested less on any religious sanction than upon complicity in crime. The fair proposals of an adversary were met with jealous precautions by the stronger of the two, and not with a generous confidence. Revenge also was held of more account than self-preservation. Oaths of reconciliation, being only proffered on either side to meet an immediate difficulty, only held good so long as no other weapon was at hand; but when opportunity offered, he who first ventured to seize it and to take his enemy off his guard, thought this perfidious vengeance sweeter than an open one, since, considerations of safety apart, success by treachery won him the palm of superior intelligence.

Indeed it is generally the case that men are readier to call rogues clever than simpletons honest, and are as ashamed of being the second as they are proud of being the first. The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention. The leaders in the cities, each provided with the fairest professions, on the one side with the cry of political equality of the people, on the other of a moderate aristocracy, sought prizes for themselves in those public interests which they pretended to cherish, and, recoiling from no means in their struggles for ascendancy engaged in the direst excesses; in their acts of vengeance they went to even greater lengths, not stopping at what justice or the good of the state demanded, but making the party caprice of the moment their only standard, and invoking with equal readiness the condemnation of an unjust verdict or the authority of the strong arm to glut the animosities of the hour. Thus religion was in honour with neither party; but the use of fair phrases to arrive at guilty ends was in high reputation. Meanwhile the moderate part of the citizens perished between the two, either for not joining in the quarrel, or because envy would not suffer them to escape.

Thus every form of iniquity took root in the Hellenic countries by reason of the troubles. . . Indeed men too often take upon themselves in the prosecution of their revenge to set the example of doing away with those general laws to which all alike can look for salvation in adversity, instead of allowing them to subsist against the day of danger when their aid may be required.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thucydides is more of an academic writing history while The Anabasis is more like a pop history book. Plus there's the issue of translators, it has been the style for a very long time to apparently go out of your loving way to translate ancient works in the most mind numbing way possible. A lot of primary sources in translation are almost unreadable, I've dropped many. Don't feel bad about finding them boring.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2091213-britains-oldest-writing-found-buried-near-london-tube-station/

quote:

England's Oldest Handwritten Document, dated January 8, 57

LONDON, ENGLAND- When London was a Roman Settlement, a freed slave named Tibullus promised another freed slave, Gratus, the repayment of 105 denarii, a hefty sum. These tablets, more than 400 in all, were found in what was referred to as “a sodden hole” under a 1950s office building, the future site of a fancy new Bloomberg headquarters in London. Eighty-seven of the tablets have been deciphered so far, and they include the first ever written reference to London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Found in the Sodden Hole?! I thought they shut that place down years ago!