Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
bring back the Black Panthers

:berninator:

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonCat posted:

Removing a pistol grip doesn't do a thing for how deadly a weapon is.

In guess you don't need them then

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ummel posted:

True, but you would have missed Voyager and Enterprise and the Kelvin timeline....

I wouldn’t say he’s missing it.

Doctor Butts posted:

”A was good for X back then, so it's just as good as Y is for X now” is a bad argument.

If pistol grips have no positive effect on effectiveness of pistols and assault rifles, then why is it immensely popular?

The pistol grip argument reminds me of this greentext from a few years ago

e: linked to limit shitposting
https://i.imgur.com/1GPcDG8.jpg

Just as the founding fathers intended :911:

oxsnard posted:

bring back the Black Panthers

:berninator:

They’re actually why we have all the absurdity surrounding the second amendment right now. Because like most things that rural whites freak out about, it has its roots in racism.

More perfect did a podcast about it, it’s fascinating.
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/radiolab-presents-more-perfect-gun-show

Before the black panthers started open carrying no one gave a poo poo.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 21, 2020

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

DeathChicken posted:

Andy Richter had a quote awhile ago that summed up American gun culture. Paraphrasing, "How dare you infringe upon my stupidass delusion that one day I will be Rambo"

Specifically not First Blood Rambo who kills cops though, the Rambo of the sequels who kills commies and non-white furriners.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Reminder that gunchat is heavily moderated in this thread. Don't shitpost about it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fool of sound posted:

Reminder that gunchat is heavily moderated in this thread. Don't shitpost about it.

Your posts mesh well with your grumpy AV, as if it's saying "you guys.....i'm getting sick of your poo poo".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I absolutely understand both viewpoints with regards to the gun situation. I just also worry about people on the left unironically adopting the "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" rhetoric.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

kidkissinger posted:

Because a pistol grip is more comfortable for a wider range of hands to hold.

And the ergonomics and comfort of a weapon have a huge impact on your ability to quickly ready and aim it. The idea of banning pistol grips and box mags is to decrease the number of people killed in a particular shooting, not to prevent shootings entirely.

This is a bad and dumb goal, compared to trying to eliminate mass shootings, but that is the goal targeted bans like this set out to accomplish.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phobic Nest posted:

Specifically not First Blood Rambo who kills cops though, the Rambo of the sequels who kills commies and non-white furriners.

Nah, that's the awesome thing about these morons. They have blue lives matter bumper stickers but fantasize about having to protect themselves from the government.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Thought you all would enjoy Glenn's impending arrest and execution.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1219654412056039430?s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Hootington posted:

sucks. he does great work when it comes to brazil. hope he and his family are able to get out.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

e.pilot posted:

e: linked to limit shitposting
https://i.imgur.com/1GPcDG8.jpg

This is just wrong.

Triangle bayonet wounds were no harder to stitch up than any other common melee puncture wound.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

With regards to Trump and Russia Glenn is a piece of poo poo and has his head in the sand, but nobody here wants harm to come to him, especially when he is doing important work fighting Brazilian monsters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely understand both viewpoints with regards to the gun situation. I just also worry about people on the left unironically adopting the "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" rhetoric.

Arming minorities has the double edged sword of making reasonable gun legislation pass faster.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

hanales posted:

You literally are talking about personal self defense when the op was talking about fighting fascism. Also you didn’t actually list a successful example. Your friend doesn’t need a gun, if mace or a taser wouldn’t be effective a gun likely wouldn’t either. It just “makes them feel better”.

I'm going to be blunt here: this post is a textbook demonstration of how many privileged white males have lived such a sheltered life that they lack all perspective in understanding what it means to live every day under constant threat.

quote:

It’s cool that you hate “liberals” tho, good to know they are yet again the problem with America.

The moral cowardice of liberals is a much bigger problem in America than the active hatred of chuds- one needs only observe Pelosi's enabling of the child death camps/using her power to silence citizens who spoke out about the camps for a clear demonstration that the apathy of the comfortable is a far greater social evil than even open racism.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah man, I love when a guy I think is just misguided and has blind spot on one issue, but does good and neccesary work otherwise, is being persecuted :rolleyes:

Just makes my day

Has anyone in this thread ever said they even hate Glenn Greenwald? I think most of us just think he has a blindspot

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah man, I love when a guy I think is just misguided and has blind spot on one issue, but does good and neccesary work otherwise, is being persecuted :rolleyes:

Just makes my day

Has anyone in this thread ever said they even hate Glenn Greenwald? I think most of us just think he has a blindspot

i kinda dislike him but i think he makes some great stuff when it comes to brazil and i think he should stick to that. that being said i dont want him dead. i just wish he realizes that he is being a blind dickhead about various issues.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

i think he's acted like a tremendous rear end in a top hat for years now to basically anyone opposing trump (he's not pro trump, but he's been quite consistently anti-anti-trump)

and i also think that him being an rear end in a top hat is totally irrelevant to this current news that a fascist government is prosecuting him for totally legitimate journalism exposing their corruption

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

TulliusCicero posted:

Please do not do this. There have been many posters who have called Glenn a fascist collaborator who basically deserves whatever happens to him- mostly because he has appeared on Fox News. (As if appearing on CNN or MSNBC is somehow morally different than appearing on Fox)

Most of those posters are much less active than they used to be- but (in previous versions of this thread) finding any pretense to argue that Glenn Greenwald is a bad man who deserves bad things was something of a pastime for certain posters.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

ascii genitals posted:

Hey Im pretty sure they were asking a serious question. I dont know who Lizzo is either, are they a US politician? Pretty sure that's a no too.

Edit: OK yeah they're a singer. What the gently caress does this have to do with politics
In a conversation about whether a news article should use a person's legal name or their chosen name, it's extremely obvious from context what point is being made. This is true even if you 1: don't recognize the specific cultural reference and 2: are for some reason incapable of googling a name that is one word long.

The issue isn't ignorance of popular culture, it's using that ignorance as an excuse to avoid discussion.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1219664002336247812

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Greenwald has been anti-Russiagate, which seems pretty reasonable given that Russiagate is a stupid narrative pushed by establishment Democrats to cover up for their own failings/corruption.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"End welfare!" :byodood:

"for people that are a different color than me!"

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I think its probably important to signal that most of this aid goes to big corporate farming and not your rando rural farmer.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eke out posted:

i think he's acted like a tremendous rear end in a top hat for years now to basically anyone opposing trump (he's not pro trump, but he's been quite consistently anti-anti-trump)

and i also think that him being an rear end in a top hat is totally irrelevant to this current news that a fascist government is prosecuting him for totally legitimate journalism exposing their corruption

Yes clearly he hasn't evaluated the evidence and reached a different conclusion than yours he is just reflexively "anti-anti-Trump", that's a very sophisticated and useful way to make sense of the people you disagree with.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

Please do not do this. There have been many posters who have called Glenn a fascist collaborator who basically deserves whatever happens to him- mostly because he has appeared on Fox News. (As if appearing on CNN or MSNBC is somehow morally different than appearing on Fox)

He is a fascist collaborator who does not deserve it, since no one deserves government oppression.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I think its probably important to signal that most of this aid goes to big corporate farming and not your rando rural farmer.

there really isn't a distinction between the two - nearly all farms and farmland in the united states are what we would think of as "family farms" and where the corporate influence comes in dominating the sale of farm supplies and the purchase of farm products. there isn't really such a thing as people showing up at the Corn Co. farm to clock in for a shift when corporations can just negotiate contracts with individual farmers to produce certain quantities of product on certain dates. the best way to think of it is that most of the rando rural farmer's business is done with large companies, and the rando farmer is likely to be a subcontractor for some large company even if the actual land and assets are in the family name. chicken farming especially is nothing but contracts, it's a whole lot like uber or other gig economy stuff except instead of driving 10,000 passengers one at a time in your own car you raise 10,000 chickens all at once in your own barn

so while corporations directly are not getting these payments, any money given to rando farmers will benefit agribusiness very soon after the checks are cashed

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

oxsnard posted:

i worked at a chemical plant that had this fire chief who was a former Navy Seal and he taught self defense classes. He loved guns but he told everyone in our annual training that a gun is totally stupid as a home invasion defense tool. He said to get a 10 lb fire extinguisher and put it under your bed. You can shoot that stuff like 20 feet, it doesn't require good aim, and works great to incapacitate people. Plus you can swing it as a blunt weapon. Gun freaks just jack off to the idea of shooting a (brown) person breaking into their home

https://www.totalfireandsafety.com/blog/tag/fire-extinguisher-as-weapon/

A fire chief, huh? Sounds like he's already in the pocket of Big Extinguisher

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump could never lock up Hillary. Bolsonaro will absolutely lock up Glenn, key points.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Helsing posted:

Yes clearly he hasn't evaluated the evidence and reached a different conclusion than yours he is just reflexively "anti-anti-Trump", that's a very sophisticated and useful way to make sense of the people you disagree with.

personally I think lovely sarcasm is also not a particularly sophisticated or useful way to make sense of the people you disagree with, consider putting a little more effort into your posts rather than just injecting hostility into a forum you are a moderator of

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 21, 2020

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

luxury handset posted:

there really isn't a distinction between the two - nearly all farms and farmland in the united states are what we would think of as "family farms" and where the corporate influence comes in dominating the sale of farm supplies and the purchase of farm products. there isn't really such a thing as people showing up at the Corn Co. farm to clock in for a shift when corporations can just negotiate contracts with individual farmers to produce certain quantities of product on certain dates. the best way to think of it is that most of the rando rural farmer's business is done with large companies, and the rando farmer is likely to be a subcontractor for some large company even if the actual land and assets are in the family name. chicken farming especially is nothing but contracts, it's a whole lot like uber or other gig economy stuff except instead of driving 10,000 passengers one at a time in your own car you raise 10,000 chickens all at once in your own barn

so while corporations directly are not getting these payments, any money given to rando farmers will benefit agribusiness very soon after the checks are cashed

Did not know that, thanks.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Helsing posted:

The way Glenn words his posts on the topic very, very much feel reflexive, rather than carefully arrived at. That doesn't mean he hasn't done good work, but for the issues most relevant to USPol, he's often just a bit of a dick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eke out posted:

personally I think lovely sarcasm is also not a particularly sophisticated or useful way to make sense of the people you disagree with, consider putting a little more effort into your posts rather than just injecting hostility into a forum you are a moderator of
Criticizing your bad reasoning is a fine argument, sarcastically or not

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Helsing posted:

At this point this is pretty much gaslighting. GG tried to say that things didn't happen, conclusive evidence came out that they did (including in his own publication!), and he never walked it back or tried to refute the new evidence.

The most charitable interpretation is that he gets spots on Tucker Carlson to push whatever his real agenda is and says stuff against Trump's critics without aiming at Trump as a way to pay the piper.

Edit: Here's him drawing conclusions that make no sense after the Mueller investigation got multiple people in Trump's orbit arrested for coordinating with Russia: https://theintercept.com/2019/04/18/robert-mueller-did-not-merely-reject-the-trumprussia-conspiracy-theories-he-obliterated-them/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Glenn is bad on USPOL stuff but right now he is being attacked by fascists in Brazil and that’s not cool

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Prester Jane posted:

I'm going to be blunt here: this post is a textbook demonstration of how many privileged white males have lived such a sheltered life that they perspective in understanding what it means to live every day under constant threat.
Personally I defer the gun control question to Karl Marx :shrug:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

luxury handset posted:

There are still true family farms that aren't contracted with big corporations and operate entirely independently but they're vanishingly few in number. Where I live it's mostly cattle ranches which aren't remotely as profitable as corn or beans.

Of course those small independent operators don't usually see much federal aid.

And yeah it's basically impossible to ranch or farm unless you inherit because you're talking several million dollars in land and equipment to get started.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I think Greenwald is a shithead and bad actor at times but this is utter bullshit. He should absolutely not be under arrest and this is terrible.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Glenn is bad on USPOL stuff but right now he is being attacked by fascists in Brazil and that’s not cool

He was also amazingly good on USPOL up until about the time the Russiagate stuff started, and had been a prescient voice warning about surveillance and the intelligence services of our country.

I also think it’s important to call out the number of misreported stories and retractions that outlets less critical of the story have had to make. I think it’s safe to say there is quite enough feverish lorecrafting going on around it to spread the accusations of disinformation pretty evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

e.pilot posted:

25 years for murdering someone in cold blood doesn't seem comically short? Okay.

Its a perfectly acceptable sentence in America that would be considered draconian in civilized countries.