Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that, so I was kinda hoping for that outcome

I think the last one of that we saw was during Kristen Sausville’s run a couple seasons back?

And speaking of former contestants, I just found out last night that apparently a guy I know from ADTRW and a Discord server was a contestant on Kids week a decade and a half back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Dennis is uhhh something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Yeah I have friends ask me for the link to mine still and I’m just like “yeah here sure it was great being on tv and Alex is great okay let’s talk about something different”

It’s such a trip to study and practice and look forward to something for so long and then be the third best player on the stage by a mile (me, not necessarily any of y’all) and then have it indelibly etched in television history

If you told 20 year old me I’d be on jeopardy I’d imagine I had it constantly playing on loop on ten TVs but instead I don’t even want to think about anything tangentially related to it

I get being “ashamed” and whatnot, but I want to just post here that I thought you did fine and should be proud of the episode.

People always forget that a big chunk of Jeopardy is out of your control: especially A. The opponents and B. The board, and we whether the board randomly favors you or your opponents.

In your case, if it helps, you can always hold viewing parties and just pretend you accidentally taped over your Jeopardy episode with your Who Wants to Be a Millionaire episode.

“Oh , sorry , I thought this was Jeopardy, but I guess we will have to watch Millionaire. Did you know this was once hosted by Regis Philbun ?”

So just saying, no reason not to be proud dude.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Duckman2008 posted:

I get being “ashamed” and whatnot, but I want to just post here that I thought you did fine and should be proud of the episode.

People always forget that a big chunk of Jeopardy is out of your control: especially A. The opponents and B. The board, and we whether the board randomly favors you or your opponents.

In your case, if it helps, you can always hold viewing parties and just pretend you accidentally taped over your Jeopardy episode with your Who Wants to Be a Millionaire episode.

“Oh , sorry , I thought this was Jeopardy, but I guess we will have to watch Millionaire. Did you know this was once hosted by Regis Philbun ?”

So just saying, no reason not to be proud dude.

LMAO this is an excellent plan. Thanks for the kind words.

I saw Survivor season 40 (an all-winners season) advertising on the football game today and heavily leaning on the "Greatest Of All Time" title. Hard to imagine there wasn't some influence there

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Duckman is 100% correct by the way. You should absolutely be proud of having gotten on the show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I would love to lose on Jeopardy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was going to make a Weird Al reference, but that song apparently predates Trebek.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I was going to make a Weird Al reference, but that song apparently predates Trebek.

Yeah the show was revived the year after the song was released.

Coincidence??

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zesty posted:

Well, as long as you win enough to cover your travel/hotel expenses. But same.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the show was revived the year after the song was released.

Coincidence??

https://www.vulture.com/2014/07/history-behind-12-great-weird-al-videos.html

quote:

“I Lost on Jeopardy”

“I not only got to work with Don Pardo and Art Fleming, who were in the original Jeopardy show from the ‘60s, but Greg Kihn, the original artist who did ‘Jeopardy’ — he makes a cameo appearance at the end. But what a lot of people don’t realize, when I did ‘I Lost on Jeopardy,’ Jeopardy was not on the air; that was a retro song about the game show that Merv Griffin had created that was popular in the ‘60s when I was a kid. And the fact that I did that parody I’m told made Merv Griffin consider doing the show again. So I think the parody had something to do with the fact that Jeopardy went back on the air. We put the [cameo] request out, and Art Fleming and Don Pardo agreed to do it. They were perfect sports about it. Art Fleming showed up on the set and was more than happy to make goofy faces and play along, and Don Pardo just killed it. So I was very fortunate that they were both so game about the whole thing.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahah holy poo poo.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Well, as long as you win enough to cover your travel/hotel expenses. But same.

You get $1000 for third place and $2000 for second! I definitely recommend going out for it despite my pity party upthread

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Most of the something awful contests / their family members seem to experience this fate. Lol (because Jeopardy is hard and there’s a lot of luck on contestants and what categories come up that you are good / not good at).

Spokes posted:

You get $1000 for third place and $2000 for second! I definitely recommend going out for it despite my pity party upthread

This for sure. Although Jeopardy is like, our last “employer” to send us whatever their version of a W2 is, so now I’m impatiently waiting for that so I can go ahead and file my frickin taxes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My dad had a coworker that won a couple times on Jeopardy back in I think the early 90s. I should ask him the guy's name.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Duckman2008 posted:

Most of the something awful contests / their family members seem to experience this fate. Lol (because Jeopardy is hard and there’s a lot of luck on contestants and what categories come up that you are good / not good at).

Everyone loses on Jeopardy. Even Brad Rutter.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I take the Jeopardy! test on the regular, get absolutely wrecked and realize what a moron I am, and never get on the show.

My brother got past the test like 20 years ago and did a live audition. Apparently he did fine question-wise, but was told nobody would want to root for him so he was not invited onto the show.

Getting onto Jeopardy!, unless you pull like a Wolf Blitzer or something, is cool as hell.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You really have to wonder who’s the best jeopardy player who has an uninteresting personality

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jump King posted:

You really have to wonder who’s the best jeopardy player who has an uninteresting personality

The True Jeopardy GOAT is out there being forced to watch a pretender sit on this throne, all because he’s so aggressively uninteresting that people would flip the channel at the first ad break.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i think what a lot of hopefuls forget is that it's a loving tv show. like, during the in-person tryout, it was pretty apparent who would be good on camera and who wouldn't be. and i'm not saying it's a matter of physical attraction or zaniness or whatever. it's just about being social and quick on your feet and uniqueness. are you polite? are your answers thought out and robust and interesting? can you put on a smile? so many people i tried out with were just dour and not trying to stand out in presentation.

it's not about how smart you are once you get to that point. it's about you being a character. easily the most important consideration, so long as you don't bomb the in-person test.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 21, 2020

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
At least this year I know why I didn't get the call. A few weeks back they had a contestant who was literally me but less fat: same name, same job, same hair, same facial hair. I guess there's another.....8 months I'm eligible to get the call? But once I saw that guy I feel like that would have been my slot so I'm not holding my breath.

That episode was painful to watch because the categories were right in my wheelhouse, and final was in one of my "I'm betting everything I have no matter what the score is" categories. Who knows what would have actually happened, but that seems like the best-case-scenario game for me, so I'd at least have had the best chance possible to do really well. The next day was really rough, though, so I likely would have been a 1-day champ (all assuming I was competent with the buzzer).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

i think what a lot of hopefuls forget is that it's a loving tv show. like, during the in-person tryout, it was pretty apparent who would be good on camera and who wouldn't be. and i'm not saying it's a matter of physical attraction or zaniness or whatever. it's just about being social and quick on your feet and uniqueness. are you polite? are your answers thought out and robust and interesting? can you put on a smile? so many people i tried out with were just dour and not trying to stand out in presentation.

it's not about how smart you are once you get to that point. it's about you being a character. easily the most important consideration, so long as you don't bomb the in-person test.

My wife and I are pretty sure she got on because she razzed the local city newspaper guy who was there. I forget exactly what she said, but I guess they let him participate in the mock game for purposes of his article, he happened to “play” my wife and she said some funny comment about him skipping a step or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ever since I read in Ken Jennings's book that you need to have 5 stories about yourself I knew I'd never make it past that phase of the audition process.

I don't know why they even keep that portion - I haven't watched it since TiVo was invented.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ever since I read in Ken Jennings's book that you need to have 5 stories about yourself I knew I'd never make it past that phase of the audition process.

- I moved to Baltimore on the day Sandy hit
- I met my ex-wife in a hotel room
- I've been to every MLB stadium
- I was at Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS and it broke my heart
- Uh ... poo poo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I realized I hosed up when myself and 99% of the other potential contestants in the room all answered the question of "what would you do if you won Ken Jennings-level money on Jeopardy?" with some variant of "I'd travel the world!!"

8 days away from it being 18 months so guess I can take this month's online test again. :toot:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sirotan posted:

I realized I hosed up when myself and 99% of the other potential contestants in the room all answered the question of "what would you do if you won Ken Jennings-level money on Jeopardy?" with some variant of "I'd travel the world!!"

8 days away from it being 18 months so guess I can take this month's online test again. :toot:

I think that's every group, same thing happened with mine.

I thought I had that one nailed. "First thing is my girlfriend wants a Lykoi, a weird werewolf cat."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think they really do just accept a lot more people than they can call. My first in-person audition was as a 21-year-old woman, not a demographic that gets a lot of representation on the show, plus I was on the lively side and hopefully not a dog. I think they aren't selecting for that as hard as people assume they are. Either that or I bombed the in-person test :iiam:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2020

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I like everybody talking about why they didn't get the call.

In my case, I was in a room of what turned out to be 22 people, and they bring you up to do the buzzer/interview bit in groups of 3, and I was lucky 22 (I felt like such an idiot when I started to stand up for what was clearly the last group and then she didn't say my name). So they held back 2 people from the last group so I could go up, and the buzzer practice was fine (so much fun, actually) and then she did my interview and I think I got too comfortable and started rambling. The lady told me in the nicest possible way that I needed too wrap up because time was up and everybody needed to leave, but I feel like that awkward rambling nixed any chance I might have had. But I probably also bombed the written test.

I have not seen Priscilla's ep yet, but I have agonized over whether I'd actually go on the show if I did get the call because I'd be so nervous about embarrassing myself horribly and genuinely don't know if I could withstand the anxiety of being on national TV. I have nothing but sympathy for her.

On a related note, if you took the online test last time, you are not allowed to do it this time, right? Because it's been less than a year? I find it so weird that every few years there's a test that nobody who took the test last time is allowed to take. It makes me wonder if I'm misunderstanding that rule or if people just widely ignore it.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2020

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I think you can take the test again if you haven't auditioned. Per the website:

"If you have never been a Jeopardy! contestant and have not participated in a Jeopardy! audition within 18 months prior to the test, you are eligible to take the test."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

Yeah, this.

There was one guy at my audition who was in every single way a neckbeard who was like 6'7" or something who refused to crouch down a little bit for the photo so Corina could get one of his actual face and not at like a super weird angle. Then later he started arguing about one of the answers during the practice game. Like, come on dude, do you really think that's going to help your chances?

I took my personality to level 100 during the autidition. I fist-bumped the old guy next to me when he told his story about being a 67-year-old DJ, I made jokes, I laughed along with everyone when I flubbed a super easy question in the practice game, that sort of thing. Then at the end I went up to Corina and Ryan, who I was fairly sure were terrified that I was going to try and have a whole conversation with them about the game and stuff, but I just shook their hands, thanked them for the opportunity and left, being the only contestant who did that. I did the same with the assistant that they had, too.

I don't know what it was about me that they liked, but I BELIEVE I'm the only person from my interview group to have gotten on the show.

I also quickly realized when everyone was telling their stories that everyone was going to spend their money on travelling so I came up with a completely different answer because that was definitely going to be mine too.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think they really do just accept a lot more people than they can call.
There is also this; one person at our audition asked for the numbers and they said the pool almost always has around 4,000 people in it and 400 people a year get on the show.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 22, 2020

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
When I had my audition they specifically asked us not to say that we would use the money for travel and to think of something else.

One woman said the first thing she would do was buy the new World of Warcraft expansion and spent half her interview talking about her character in the game. Surprisingly, I never saw her on the show.

I'm nearing the end of my 18 months and I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get the call. I definitely felt like I was one of the stronger personalities in the room and thought I had a good rapport with Maggie during the interview. I noticed that they had a huge number of people from the Pacific Northwest this season, specifically Portland, which is where I'm from. I really think it is just a numbers game in a lot of cases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was going to comment on the easy critter fails, but Lincoln was never known to be an assassin :ughh:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Guess I'd better get used to impeachment preemptions with the show airing in the afternoon here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think for my story I ended up saying I would spend the money to take time off work and volunteer to help hatching baby turtles reach the ocean safely.

Technically it's still sort of a travel story but it was different enough that I think it worked.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Spokes posted:

I think you can take the test again if you haven't auditioned. Per the website:

"If you have never been a Jeopardy! contestant and have not participated in a Jeopardy! audition within 18 months prior to the test, you are eligible to take the test."

Oh, well that's good to know. Does anyone but me remember a previous rule that you could only take the online test once in a twelve-month period? I didn't dream that, did I?

Edit: I knew I didn't make it up; it used to be in the Wikipedia page about the audition process and still comes up on Google. I wonder when that changed.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the couple of years when they were having huge technical difficulties with the online tests and had to hold retests because it worked for so few people. I think that was like 2015–2017 maybe?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i told them i'd buy a bar/club space and turn it into an authentic late 70s disco spot with poles and light up floors and steam machines and the best sound system possible and all that what not.

yea, people looked at my like i was nuts. but honestly, i was just being honest. i would absolutely do all this. i'd also travel and go nuts in berlin or wherever for a while. but go with something you think that stands out and defines you. go buy a cessna if that's your thing. want to hire a private chef for life? by all means. feel the need for a crazy bosendorfer grand piano? you do you.

i mean, the money you're receiving is a prize out of nowhere. they obviously know most people will pay down debt and travel a bit and what not. but they don't care. they want to know what you'd do with this money in your utmost fun state. at least that was the impression i got from maggie, and it sure seemed to be the right read.

be ridiculous. tv rewards ridiculous. hell, that is probably the most apparent and noteworthy and salient lesson we've learned about humanity in the last 15 years.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yup, 100% agree with all of that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A pretty large portion of the known-by-name champs have the vibe of someone who took an improv class to use those skills IRL which is anathema to me but yeah, that seems like what they are looking for in terms of personality.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What if I said I'd use the money to pay my bills. Because that's what I'd do - just pop it in the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

What if I said I'd use the money to pay my bills. Because that's what I'd do - just pop it in the bank.

Very boring , the American dream involves always being in debt.