Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blotto_Otter posted:

When it comes to TMS, at least the Switch gives you the option of playing with a controller of your choice, rather than forcing you to hold the gamepad the entire time.

Personally I'd take the Switch over the gamepad, the Switch is not particularly comfortable but the Wii U gamepad was way too bulky. I thought we'd figured out the upper limit for bulky way back in the OG Xbox days but Nintendo was determined to learn that lesson for themselves.

I still think the Wii U pad is one of the comfier controllers, but it does get kind of tiring to hold after a while.

That said, TMS U vs Encore boils down to whether or not you want something cheaper with surprisingly good dual-screen usage (but no ability to play in any other configuration), or the ability to play with any controller you want with way better performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like Hollow Knight because bugs are cool. Moths are very cute. This is my game review, thank you

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Subnautica sounds like the sort of horror wonder I enjoy. What's its deal?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Subnautica sounds like the sort of horror wonder I enjoy. What's its deal?

You crash land into a sea on an unknown planet and you have to survive while also finding find a way to get off the planet. It's an open world exploration/survival game (the hunger and thirst meters can also be turned off if you hate that sort of thing like I do).

The sea is also very deep and dark and there are things in it

edit: wait, is it even on the switch?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 21, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Not your time. There should never not be a save room right outside a boss door in this kind of game

"losing progress" is really only a concern if playing the game isn't enjoyable or engaging

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

explosivo posted:

I found my 3DS XL while cleaning in preparation for a move and listed it for sale but turned it on first to make sure it worked and goddamn there's so many games I want ported to Switch that I had on this thing. Picross 3D and Pocket Card Jockey are the two that jumped out at me like "Oh gently caress, these games!" It's still a fantastic handheld and I did have the brief thought of "You know I could actually keep this thing and play these games" once seeing that dashboard and all the games I had on there but I'd never find the time.

Wario Ware and Picross 3D seem like obvious candidates to get sequels at some point during the Switch's lifespan (though I'm not sure how they'll make Picross 3D work without a stylus). I'm sure we'll see a port of Super Mario 3D World at some point and my dream is that they'll bundle it with a port of 3D Land, but that might be hoping for a bit too much.

My actual dream 3DS/WiiU port would be Yoshi's Wooly World, because that game is lovely and the 3DS's low res screen doesn't do it justice. I replayed a few levels on 3DS last week and it just made me realize exactly how disappointed I was by Crafted World. But I realize that's one port that almost certainly ain't happening, and I have mostly made my peace with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"losing progress" is really only a concern if playing the game isn't enjoyable or engaging

Playing through the exact same section of any game over and over is not enjoyable or engaging.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I dropped Hollow Knight after a while because I'm not good enough at it and the corpse run stuff killed my enthusiasm.

It's a very good game but I doubt I'll ever pick it up again. Part of the issue is that, because of how I perceived the design, I felt like I was always going the wrong way or had missed some important upgrade.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Playing through the exact same section of any game over and over is not enjoyable or engaging.

But you play RPGs which are extremely repetitive. 50% or more of them is the same combat over and over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

then how do you explain speedrunning? :colbert:

i have this radical new idea that different people enjoy different things, but i'm not ready to publish my hypothesis on it just yet

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/snack-world-the-dungeon-crawl-gold-switch/
how is Snackworld?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hollow Knight isn't even the best 2D bug themed Metroidvania!

It's Yoku's Island Express, which is an incredible game. I really hope they make another one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

It's not the same, that's someone doing repetition to increase a score and optimize their own performance, where going through 5 to 10 minutes of dungeon to get back to a boss because the checkpoint is nowhere near is simply trying to progress. Optimizing and getting better at the rooms between the save point and boss you can't beat yet gives you nothing beyond maybe full health, but then there no progressing past full health so it's very limited.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

It's not the same, that's someone doing repetition to increase a score and optimize their own performance, where going through 5 to 10 minutes of dungeon to get back to a boss because the checkpoint is nowhere near is simply trying to progress. Optimizing and getting better at the rooms between the save point and boss you can't beat yet gives you nothing beyond maybe full health, but then there no progressing past full health so it's very limited.

You dying in a given section and having to redo it is you having to optimize your performance/build upon your knowledge. It honestly sounds like you're making arbitrary distinctions.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Buying pins I'll concede is dumb, but I think that might have been a post release thing as there were no pins at launch.
Are you sure? I bought Hollow Knight on PC maybe a week or two after its initial launch, and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of pins in it already.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

I'm still waiting on War of the Lions...

Or any FF Tactics game. In the meantime, I appreciate whoever linked this the other day: https://www.twitch.tv/fftbattleground

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Hollow Knight lets you mitigate Geo loss in 2 ways:

1) Other than tracking down your corpse, you can recover your soul by giving a rancid egg to the one bug to the far right of the starting village. If you really gently caress up and die in an awkward spot - or if you die while carrying a lot of geo, this is the opportunity to burn an item with zero other use.

2) Artifacts (Journals, Seals, Idols, Arcane Eggs) cannot be lost on death and should only ever be sold to the relic seeker in the city of tears when you intend to immediately spend the geo.

(Spoiler for an in game geo-related event)
I did stop and use the wiki after that loving flim-flam banker bug ran off with my geo (also recoverable).

ALSO

Use the dreamgate if you don't want to repeat a platforming section. It uses 1 dream essence to create a gate, and then you can travel to it any number of times for free. The game gives you more than enough essence for everything else, provided you only use the gate a few dozen times.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Are you sure? I bought Hollow Knight on PC maybe a week or two after its initial launch, and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of pins in it already.

Yes there were pins at launch

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I will say that while the extra focus the game gives to your death and revival makes you think a lot more about the whole thing, it isn't actually that different from most other games. It's pretty standard for games to just whisk you back anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes to predetermined (often invisible) checkpoints.

Having to pick your wallet back up is a more unique and dangerous twist, giving a bigger feeling of danger and risk. Geo is less important than souls in Dark Souls, but it still feels like you could lock yourself out of something important and induces anxiety. One of the things that made Dark Souls famous was just how much it could create feelings like anxiety in the player, that's the whole point of the mechanic. The game actually has a couple safety features to keep from ruining yourself on money loss, like enemies in further areas giving bigger payouts if you just keep going onward, a guy who can summon your lost spirit in one of the houses in the starting town so that you can retrieve your money if it's in some place too dangerous, a bank, and even a warp ability that can act like a custom checkpoint, but it is still technically possible to ruin yourself. That's the whole point, to give you that feeling of risk in the background, and if you can't overcome it or just plain don't want that feeling, it's not gonna be the game for you..

I'll admit it is part of why I have second thoughts about returning to the game when I'm rusty, since you can't just absentmindedly play to get your bearings back, or when you're sick or tired and not as able to meet the challenge. And I kinda wish I could just turn it off for a game like Shovel Knight, where I do often wanna just jump into without thinking when I'm not at my best.

Andrast posted:

The corpse run mechanic is kind of the only thing with clear souls influence. Otherwise it's just a straightforward metroidvania

Mechanically, sure, but whole theme of wandering through some ruined once-great kingdom where all the citizenry have gone mad from some curse and the few survivors only give you scant ideas to what happened, chuckling ominously, is Dark Souls as all get out.

Metroidvania level design just seems like it's easier in 2D, since you can more directly control the pacing or the way that the player comes into and out of areas. 3D areas will always make players notice all the walls penning them in, but with 2D nobody questions it if there's only 2 directions they can go when you don't want to let them go up or down at that moment.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like Hollow Knight because bugs are cool. Moths are very cute. This is my game review, thank you

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

edit: wait, is it even on the switch?

Haha nope. Sorry! I should have looked first.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ragequit posted:

Or any FF Tactics game. In the meantime, I appreciate whoever linked this the other day: https://www.twitch.tv/fftbattleground

well there goes my productivity

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"I didn't dislike Hollow Knight because I was bad at it, I just didn't like how there were consequences to not being good at it"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I liked it but you idiot assholes have convinced me it loving sucks.

Hm yeah let's put check points nowhere near the loving bosses, we are brain geniuses this is compelling gameplay

Shovel Knight put checkpoints in front of bosses and if you love going through the same section over and over you can destroy them for a bonus if you want

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

8bitdo is showing up today. Stoked to play some Mario Maker. :dance:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
3 stars in 50, 100, 150, and mirror mode, all cups.

200 cc is much much more difficult. But I’m getting there. All I have left to do is get stars. Does Mariokart give anything for 3 starring every cup?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hm yeah let's put check points nowhere near the loving bosses, we are brain geniuses this is compelling gameplay

a significant number of the bosses in HK are optional, and a lot of the benches in the game are placed at or near a divergence in pathways - basically every non-optional boss in the game has a bench right near it, and if you find yourself stuck at a certain optional boss the game is basically saying "you can go somewhere else, you know"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollow Knight is good but the map system sucks. Self mapping only at checkpoints is fine, having to buy maps is fine, combining them and forcing basic functionality to cost extremely limited skill slots loving sucks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lucas Archer posted:

3 stars in 50, 100, 150, and mirror mode, all cups.

200 cc is much much more difficult. But I’m getting there. All I have left to do is get stars. Does Mariokart give anything for 3 starring every cup?

I'm pretty sure the only unlockable things in MK8D are the gold parts: Gold Mario (beat 200cc), Kart (star rank in mirror), Wheels (beat staff ghosts), and Glider (10k coins).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Hollow Knight is good but the map system sucks. Self mapping only at checkpoints is fine, having to buy maps is fine, combining them and forcing basic functionality to cost extremely limited skill slots loving sucks.

This, 2D exploration games should always have easily accessible maps because it's a lot harder to make areas look unique and obviously know where you are than in 3D.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Your Computer posted:

There's a reason more people watch speedruns than engage in them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Still, "this game sucks because it makes you replay sections" is funny because that's true of nearly every video game, whether it's the exact same area, reused assets/ideas, etc. Plus, familiarity/practice is a cornerstone of genres such as metroidvanias, that's a big reason people like the games to begin with

And yes, it's fine if you don't like any of those things yourself. That specific criticism just applies to basically all genres, it's how video games work (unless it's one of those fancy walking simulators or text novels I guess)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat sucks I'm late to the phobia talk. I like to think I'm mostly good with my arachnaphobia, I mean me seeing a spider on the other side of the room isn't me declaring total war and ensuring there are no survivors (though that fucker better not be anywhere near the bathroom).

However, let me tell you about running into the spiders in Skryim VR. God drat. Good thing someone made a mod that change them to bears.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d rather run into a giant spider than a regular sized bear irl. Bears will gently caress you up

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

With so much shovelware on the Switch it's amazing the Simple series is not making a big return.

...Actually, according to the wiki, it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Simple_series_video_games#Nintendo_Switch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

Still, "this game sucks because it makes you replay sections" is funny because that's true of nearly every video game, whether it's the exact same area, reused assets/ideas, etc. Plus, familiarity/practice is a cornerstone of genres such as metroidvanias, that's a big reason people like the games to begin with

And yes, it's fine if you don't like any of those things yourself. That specific criticism just applies to basically all genres, it's how video games work (unless it's one of those fancy walking simulators or text novels I guess)

It's not quite the same because HK and Dark Souls know that you're going to be redoing sections of the game over and over because it is engineered to be very difficult.

Therefore the impetus is on the developer to make that as fun of a process as possible. For HK, I just wasn't having fun. In Dark Souls I did have fun and therefore beat the game to a pulp.

It's not a 1:1 comparison with something like Mario where you might have to try a late game level a few times but it's set up for you to win pretty easily.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bears will gently caress you up but spiders are only a minor threat because they are small. I don't want to fight anything with an exoskeleton if it is bigger than my thumb. At least the bear will kill me quick.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

drat sucks I'm late to the phobia talk. I like to think I'm mostly good with my arachnaphobia, I mean me seeing a spider on the other side of the room isn't me declaring total war and ensuring there are no survivors (though that fucker better not be anywhere near the bathroom).

However, let me tell you about running into the spiders in Skryim VR. God drat. Good thing someone made a mod that change them to bears.

always liked the line reading of "what's wrong with the mine? It's full of SPIDERS, that's what!" or whatever that dude says

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is a correct post. It's fine to have to redo a challenge over and over again until you succeed at it. It sucks rear end to have to redo something over and over again that you already succeeded at because you failed the thing immediately following. poo poo is indefensible. Give me the save points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If you mod the spiders into bears do the bears scuttle around on elongated bear legs