Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

OhFunny posted:

Forget new games. I was rather shocked my 1080 had trouble holding 60fps at 1440p when I decided to revisit The Witcher 3 and turned every setting to max.

Is that with Hairworks on to the max? That's always beat the crap out of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rosoboronexport posted:

Are there other GTX 1060 owners with 1440p displays, how do you manage with this combination, should I just skip updating the GPU? I'm aiming for upgrading the GPU when Cyberpunk is released in September.

Answer: I don't, I curse every moment of my existence that led me to this situation where I've got a 1060 shackling more pixels than it can hope to push at a reasonable framerate. Upgrade the GPU.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rosoboronexport posted:

Could you link some because I've been searching around and only other 27" 1440p fast refresh monitors have had TN panels in them. Though I might have searched for "HDR" panels at the same time.

I take from your post that you're in the UK, so I'm going to recommend you go to the monitor thread and ask other people with knowledge of the current UK market. What models are available at a good price at any given time varies by region.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lockback posted:

Is that with Hairworks on to the max? That's always beat the crap out of cards.

It is. I should pobably should make just do Geralt's hair.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

K8.0 posted:

I take from your post that you're in the UK, so I'm going to recommend you go to the monitor thread and ask other people with knowledge of the current UK market. What models are available at a good price at any given time varies by region.
Will do, thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, nVidia isn't going to give their customers one kilobyte of GDDR6 more than their market research says people will snap up.

Figure 10GB for the x70, 12GB for the x80, and 16GB for the Ti. That leaves 20, 24, and 32GB options open for the "you're so speshul and :nsa:-level" cards.

EDIT: The reason I don't think they're going to do 16 or 20GB cards is because 1) that raises the bar way too high, and 2) given the choice of 16 vs. 20GB, since 8K gaming is *nowhere near prime time*, people are going to buy the 16GB card in droves. It'll be the 970 vs. the 980 all over again...hopefully without "Memorygate Part 2."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 20, 2020

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Is anything actually known about Nvidia's upcoming 3080 cards or whatever? It seems literally everything is still speculation right now?

What about AMD, are they expected to bring out something competitive in a similar time frame?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rosoboronexport posted:

But then again I mostly play CSGO and Battletech, the first one should have no problem running at 1440p and the other I can play at under 20 fps.

There's your answer right here. I'm running 4k off a 1070ti because the most demanding games I play are FFXIV and Path of Exile.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jaete posted:

Is anything actually known about Nvidia's upcoming 3080 cards or whatever? It seems literally everything is still speculation right now?

What about AMD, are they expected to bring out something competitive in a similar time frame?

Everything about both is very speculative.

AMD gearing up to release a 5800 & 5900 line in the next couple monthishs seems reasonable based on what's been leaked and NVidia maybe targeting Q2 for the 3xxx line are what early rumors are suggesting.

These things may or may not be true, but past history has shown they seem realistic for rumors.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Quick question, I'm looking at upgrading my 980 with a focus on VR since I have a Quest. I intend on using the link cable to play Half-Life Alyx and whatever other bleeding edge VR games come out in the future. My budget is probably around $500-600 and I don't know if I should grab a 2070S or if I should hold off until the new batch of cards. Aside from an arbitrary % of performance, is there anything expected in the next-gen cards that would be particularly beneficial in regards to VR?

Thanks

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Nvidia has never used odd numbers on its codenames.

GP107, TU117

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

Quick question, I'm looking at upgrading my 980 with a focus on VR since I have a Quest. I intend on using the link cable to play Half-Life Alyx and whatever other bleeding edge VR games come out in the future. My budget is probably around $500-600 and I don't know if I should grab a 2070S or if I should hold off until the new batch of cards. Aside from an arbitrary % of performance, is there anything expected in the next-gen cards that would be particularly beneficial in regards to VR?

Thanks

Never buy hardware now because you plan to use it in the future. The only exceptions to this have been when mining booms and busts triggered crazy price changes on GPUs, which is not happening anymore.

If you need a GPU now, buy one now. If you don't, wait. The next gen GPUs will likely not have any new features that dramatically improve VR performance, but they should be a significant step forward overall.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Would increasing GPU RAM past 11GB do anything for (next-gen) games? Seems like it'd be more useful for the prosumer compute market.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Would increasing GPU RAM past 11GB do anything for (next-gen) games? Seems like it'd be more useful for the prosumer compute market.

You'll finally be able to play Skyrim with those 8k texture mods. Count the individual scales on your lizard mans.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Do PCIE riser cards noticeably affect GPU performance, specifically in higher end 2080 TI's?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tehran 1979 posted:

Do PCIE riser cards noticeably affect GPU performance, specifically in higher end 2080 TI's?

No, unless you decide to do something absurd like string two metres of riser cables together.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would be surprised if we saw a jump on VRAM this next gen. Maybe 8GB for the 1070 still and maybe a small increase for the 1080 and another step for the ti. There isn't much reason to increase cost on the cards right now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kazinsal posted:

No, unless you decide to do something absurd like string two metres of riser cables together.

Yeah, there are even a few SFF cases with them built in to allow the GPU to mount 90 deg off from the motherboard.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kazinsal posted:

I think Linus did a video where he did just that and there wasn't any affect. Electricity is fast at the lengths any riser is going to be.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Sininu posted:

I got my H55 back. They said they didn't detect any issues. I did some more extensive testing now and concluded that the noise is there using any of the fan headers, not just AIO header and confirmed for sure they were running DC mode at 100%.
I also found this where someone recorded that noise. Corsair employees in the thread are saying it's normal.
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=990682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_w0TYafOSE
But I can hear it from loving other side of the room!! 4 meters away. gently caress this thing.

E: I found the water-cooling thread so I'll post there from now on.

My bluetooth headset disconnected before I clicked this. So I thought I was hearing complete silence while I read the ramblings of a crazy person who SWEARS he hears this annoying fan noise and MAKE IT STOP DEAR GOD gently caress.

It doesn't help you any, but it made me laugh.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

No, even if you decide to do something absurd like string two meters of riser cables together, as long as they're of high quality.

Thank Linus for that tidbit: https://youtu.be/q5xvwPa3r7M

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tehran 1979 posted:

They might introduce imperceivable amounts of additional latency (nothing you'll ever notice), but other than that the only thing you'd need to keep an eye on is ensuring the cable's securely seated in the main slot and doesn't 'wobble.' Since you can't really secure the cable with anything other than the PCIe retention bracket, it's more of an issue.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Thanks everybody. The most recent article I'd found was a few years old and said there was a very minor slowdown but wanted to make sure.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, there are even a few SFF cases with them built in to allow the GPU to mount 90 deg off from the motherboard.

This is exactly why I was asking. Planning to stick a 2080 Ti into an SFF case.

eames
May 9, 2009

shrike82 posted:

The main argument for a VRAM increase would be the rumors about consoles using 16GB unified RAM with sophisticated tiered caching for large assets like textures, but even then 8-12GB memory on a dedicated PC GPU should be enough. Resolutions higher than 4K almost don’t exist in the gaming space right now.

The fact that RAM prices are rising and industry analysts expect a GDDR6 shortage towards the end of the year makes a VRAM increase on consumer cards unlikely, except perhaps 16GB for the next Ti.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ItBreathes posted:

AC:O is just a shitshow. The 1080 will do 50fps average at 1440p, but only 60fps at 1080p (per TechPowerUp). Thats a 17% performance improvement despite rendering 43% fewer pixels. While 'how does it run the games I want to play" is the key metric for performance, I don't think you can generalize future performance of the hardware based on anomalous software. Its probably a decent benchmark for how well it will perform for similarly troublesome games, but it (and RDR2, though I haven't looked back at that since the launch issues) are not representative of how basically any other games perform.

All the the drm they slapped on top sure had a bad effect
https://youtu.be/YnSavmI3knQ?t=145

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

shrike82 posted:

Ray-tracing structures are proving to use quite a lot of VRAM. I think Digital Foundry found that using ray-traced reflections and the highest texture resolution setting was exceeding the RTX 2060's 6GB VRAM in Battlefield V @ 1920x1080.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Any idea what time the 5600XT NDA lifts? AMD already have their webpage live.

e: 2pm GMT.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 21, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lungboy posted:

Any idea what time the 5600XT NDA lifts? AMD already have their webpage live.

e: 2pm GMT.

Reviews are up. It's good! Not exceptional, but close to and sometimes above 2060 performance. Launch prices are around where I've seen 5700s at their cheapest, so we'll have to see where they wind up in the end.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ItBreathes posted:

Reviews are up. It's good! Not exceptional, but close to and sometimes above 2060 performance. Launch prices are around where I've seen 5700s at their cheapest, so we'll have to see where they wind up in the end.

Pulse is £255 in the UK which is waaaay cheaper than 5700s have been so I grabbed one.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rosoboronexport posted:

Are there other GTX 1060 owners with 1440p displays, how do you manage with this combination, should I just skip updating the GPU? I'm aiming for upgrading the GPU when Cyberpunk is released in September.

i hope that gsync covers up my mistakes

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Rosoboronexport posted:

Bought a LG UltraGear 27GL850-B in mid November and feared the worst, eyeing my old 6GB 1060. But other than a little loss in FPS that card holds up pretty well. Probably has to do with the games I played: World of Warships, Dragon Quest 11 (both locked at 60 FPS I think), CS GO is not demanding much and neither is Overwatch (140+ FPS on high details), even Hitman 1 & 2 give me 70+ FPS usually, which is very playable for a single-player puzzle game with occasional gunfights. Quake Champions ran at 120+ FPS on high detail when it finally loaded. I won't even mention strategy-, card- and adventure games. I guess if I went for lots of open-world games or Witcher 3, hoping to play everything maxed out I'd be let down, but the way it is I have a really hard time justifying the purchase of a new video card and it's all due to the VRR (Gsync) which works great. The card runs hotter than before admittedly, but If FPS drop I never really notice. Just my 2 Cents.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Another AMD gpu launched 'saved' by them upping the cards specs days to go, smooth rollout as usual

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Gamers Nexus doesn't seem particularly impressed. Especially with the drivers.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
It’s a sloppy launch, should have had the higher performance bios to begin with and prices are to close to a few AIB 5700. Needs to be closer to $250 or $260 and the drivers appear to be inconsistent.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

B-Mac posted:

It’s a sloppy launch, should have had the higher performance bios to begin with and prices are to close to a few AIB 5700. Needs to be closer to $250 or $260 and the drivers appear to be inconsistent.

RTG should have left the Bios alone instead of pushing the panic button again. It was very well tuned for 7nm, handily beating every Nvidia card in perf/W. Now it's just on par with 12nm again like the 5700.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

sauer kraut posted:

RTG should have left the Bios alone instead of pushing the panic button again. It was very well tuned for 7nm, handily beating every Nvidia card in perf/W. Now it's just on par with 12nm again like the 5700.

Only if they dropped the price to below $240. No one gives a poo poo about perf/w unless it causes the card to run outrageously hot/loud, and that doesn't appear to be the case here. They would be absolutely destroyed in reviews without this bump.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Increasing Perf/watt only really matters to consumers in two cases :

1. It gets you down to PCI power only.
2. It gets you away from a hurricane cooler.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They might introduce imperceivable amounts of additional latency (nothing you'll ever notice), but other than that the only thing you'd need to keep an eye on is ensuring the cable's securely seated in the main slot and doesn't 'wobble.' Since you can't really secure the cable with anything other than the PCIe retention bracket, it's more of an issue.

Will probably gently caress with PCIE 4.0

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Increasing Perf/watt only really matters to consumers in two cases :

1. It gets you down to PCI power only.
2. It gets you away from a hurricane cooler.

Different people care about different things.
At any rate, please don't buy a 6GB card for $280+ in 2020, get a Red Devil 5700 or one of the Supers etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sauer kraut posted:

The power draw is still fine, and the temps/noise good. It was an ok trade off. I get your point though, of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 22, 2020