Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

There are signed copies of JessPhips “truth to power” in the Waterstones by Victoria station, if anyone wants a momento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ is there like 3 and a bit pages of text before she gets bored?

forkboy84 posted:

More like pier harmer, the disgraceful vandal

more like steer alarmer... wait no that was the other guy, the cows see everything

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Skull Servant posted:

The only reason we haven't had an election sooner was because of Brexit. The last three years of government here have been FG being supported in confidence and supply by FF. Both parties have their origins in the Civil War, traditionally being bitterly opposed. They have taken turns governing the country since the foundation of the State.

Neither party expected the confidence and supply agreement to last very long, but then Brexit happened and neither wanted to rock the boat during negotiations and have concerns over the boarder used as a stick in an election. As soon as the Tories got a workable majority, an election was going to happen.

Things won't exactly go better for the UK as a result of the Irish GE. You will either get continuity with FG and Varadkar (unlikely but possible), a slightly harder line with FF being soft nationalists, or, if polling holds and gets better, Taoiseach Mary Lou of Sinn Fein. The last one is the least likely to happen, as Sinn Fein constantly underperform compared to polls, but a lot of people are very angry at FF and FG so it can't be completely discounted.

Completely agree. Sorry, I mistyped, and you beat me before my edit lmao. I don't expect things to get better for Britain because of this, at all. I fully expect things to get better for Ireland though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Isomermaid posted:

Might have to read this to find how you spin "look at what people with actual beliefs think and aim wherever in the middle affects me the least" into 200 pages

Oh ye of little faith

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1219582898837258247

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Jess flops

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
:lol: Dunt is such a moron.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1219653586839318529

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Jess Phillips takes off their head. It's Chuka Umunna.

The presenters take off their heads. They're Rory Stewart.

The crowd takes off its head. It's Ian Dunt's How to be a Liberal.

The roaring amplifies. The air tastes like burning salt. There is a noise at the edge of hearing as electrical devices throw off coronal discharge and begin to fail. A dark spot forms in the middle of your vision. Birds die. Jo Swinson takes off her head. It is squirrels.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1219661652481712128

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Some real "The prophecy can't fail, it can only be failed" poo poo going down around the latest victim of over hype.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1219653934538743811

Genuinely confused as to what "Truth to power" she ever spoke. As far as I can tell everything she ever put out was "We are losing, but if I were in charge I'd simply change that to winning" and sucking up to the tories. She's catchphrase over. He might as well be lamenting that we didn't smell what the Rock was cooking and we did in fact have a cow.

The barest touch of people looking into her dodgy dealings giving her husband an over inflated salary to "Run her office", the amount of cash she took for media appearances and the "Donations" she took from property developers months before she handed them massive contracts and she ran for the hills. Can't wait for her to flounce off and start the Justice Patriots party and get 0% of the vote.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The Star Wars sequels are cargo-cult film making. They imitate the shape and form of what they think a Star Wars is in order to make money appear.

Jess Philips is a cargo-cult politician. She imitates the shape and form of a straight talking, honest politician in order to make power appear.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's so satisfying watching people twist from 'the election proves the left is wrong' to 'the election proves the electorate are wrong'

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
oh another thing I hate about star wars, the new ones are exactly the same plot as the original trilogy.

oh boy what bold new direction will we take the franchise??? remember the death star? that was cool, but imagine a death star even bigger, how much cooler would that be???

e: I'm sorry, I hate Star Wars almost as much as I secretly love Frances Weetman

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

A shame that Phil Ochs already wrote the definitive work on the subject

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Chuff McNothing posted:

It's so satisfying watching people twist from 'the election proves the left is wrong' to 'the election proves the electorate are wrong'

Eh it's not like they'll actually self reflect or learn anything, they'll just continue to be annoying in newspapers until the left gets in power and shuts them down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

oh another thing I hate about star wars, the new ones are exactly the same plot as the original trilogy.

oh boy what bold new direction will we take the franchise??? remember the death star? that was cool, but imagine a death star even bigger, how much cooler would that be???

e: I'm sorry, I hate Star Wars almost as much as I secretly love Frances Weetman
The death 'star' is barely even the size of a large asteroid anyway. It doesn't even qualify as a death moon.

If they'd actually made it a dyson sphere and that was what powered the laser that'd be interesting.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

The death 'star' is barely even the size of a large asteroid anyway. It doesn't even qualify as a death moon.

If they'd actually made it a dyson sphere and that was what powered the laser that'd be interesting.

oh my god i don't care!!!!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

loving lol

nothing says "how to be a liberal" like designing the front cover before you've even finished the loving book

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sorry I won't be posting for the next three days because I am all booked up to be rolling on the floor howling like a shot wolf at the fate of Jess Phlaps.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Chuff McNothing posted:

I mean the electorate is wrong though

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Venomous posted:

so I just found out there's an Irish election coming up next month and lmaoooo. Couldn't be happening at a better time. Whoever wins, they're laughing at Britain all the way to the bank.

The main issues in the election are the horrible unstructured lack of health reforms, the housing crisis and protests from farmers over beef prices squeezing their bottom line - Brexit barely features in it tbh outside of Varadkar desperately waving at it to show something he's done vaguely right.

edit: And my enthusiasm for the return of FF is pretty low

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Starmer, same as usual.

as if on cue
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1219686995913584641?s=20

(also we can't talk about the Irish election without one of the main trigger events being Leo Varadkar having a memorial celebration for the RIC and the Black and Tans, which actually put "Come Out Ye Black And Tans" as #1 on the Irish charts)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kustomkarkommando posted:

The main issues in the election are the horrible unstructured lack of health reforms, the housing crisis and protests from farmers over beef prices squeezing their bottom line - Brexit barely features in it tbh outside of Varadkar desperately waving at it to show something he's done vaguely right.

The choice the Irish have between FG & FF is about as depressing as Yanks usually have between Reps & Dems in years when Bernie isn't running.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Well if nothing else they're consistant in immediately pivoting to the next great Beige Centrist Hope, after a dozen puff pieces on how the previous chosen one would be the new BCH and hosed up spectacularly.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1219692798137503745

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

The choice the Irish have between FG & FF is about as depressing as Yanks usually have between Reps & Dems in years when Bernie isn't running.

remember when the vanguard publication of the revolution (by which I mean Teen Vogue) posted an article saying that Leo Varadkar was their favorite world leader because he's brown, gay, and a non-Catholic leading Ireland out of its dark papist shell?

i do, and the reaction to it was hilarious.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Purple Prince posted:

the electorate is right in that centrism is dead

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1219696293963952128

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm SO pissed I missed the Star Wars pod, I have so much semi-informed wild lefty bullshit to spout about the politics of pop culture.
I wouldn't say pissed but I'm definitely kicking myself for not being on the disco early enough to hear about it. I don't know if announcing the themes in advance in the thread would help, or if it means Tom Watson is going to steal all your talking points.

I think I have a major problem with discord and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe i'm misunderstanding how it works, but having voice or text chat going sort of feels like being on the phone, and it feels sort of rude with what little time I get with my wife.

Also autism probably factors into it a lot, but I don't want to seem like i'm pulling the disability card. I just don't get on with it, but it seems like it's embedding itself into everything.

Happened in the Destiny thread and a bunch of other games I've played where 'oh we do that in the discord' seems to be happening more and more.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Wasn't KoTOR II an unplayable buggy piece of poo poo?
Careful, there's a guy who worked for Obsidian on the forums who has a habit of popping up whenever anyone points out that KOTOR2 and New Vegas were overambitious, and buggy mostly because they were overambitious.

Which is a shame because KOTOR2 was trying to make a really interesting point about the force and morality and had the potential to be incredible. If it came out now I'm sure it would have just been patched and it would be GOTY forever, but unfortunately it came out before the post-release patch cycle became commonplace.

Instead you got a game where the scripting stops dead and traps you in an ice cave with a bunch of people who can only say [placeholder], and that's after it was patched.

Rogue 1 was good, fight me.

baka kaba posted:

more like fear farmer
Youtube autocaptions for that goon's Question Time appearance called him Car Steamer, and I'm not sure what it means but it feels right, and that's all that matters in politics now.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

if blairites weren't already going all in on stopping her at all costs they will now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I have a major problem with discord and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe i'm misunderstanding how it works, but having voice or text chat going sort of feels like being on the phone, and it feels sort of rude with what little time I get with my wife.

Also autism probably factors into it a lot, but I don't want to seem like i'm pulling the disability card. I just don't get on with it, but it seems like it's embedding itself into everything.

Happened in the Destiny thread and a bunch of other games I've played where 'oh we do that in the discord' seems to be happening more and more.
It's because it's bad, op.

It's definitely got a Web 2.0 Everything's a Telephone vibe going on, and I bet that's tenfold for doing it in an app based environment, and I can see why that might be an issue for many people, and it's not as good as forums for following multiple chains of discussion at once.

Now the radio telegraph, that was a discussion platform... :corsair:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's because it's bad, op.

It's definitely got a Web 2.0 Everything's a Telephone vibe going on, and I bet that's tenfold for doing it in an app based environment, and I can see why that might be an issue for many people, and it's not as good as forums for following multiple chains of discussion at once.

Now the radio telegraph, that was a discussion platform... :corsair:

Telegraphs run down wires, you loving 19th millennials with your spark gaps and your kites and your Oil of Macassar will never convince me otherwise.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Become a coward and march toward the right, gotcha. Good communication.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I don't understand the open selection thing. Its just getting rid of the trigger ballot vote which should go in your favour if you have the numbers to beat the incumbent anyway, no?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Miftan posted:

I don't understand the open selection thing. Its just getting rid of the trigger ballot vote which should go in your favour if you have the numbers to beat the incumbent anyway, no?

Trigger ballots are bad because they necessitate a negative campaign to get everyone to ditch a sitting MP. Open selection means you have to make a positive case for a candidate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

It's much easier to run a "hey, vote for me, not the other guy" campaign if you don't first have to do a "hey, this guy is pretty poo poo, how about we boot him", whilst the incumbent has access to the full constituency Labour party details, and you have poo poo all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wouldn't say pissed but I'm definitely kicking myself for not being on the disco early enough to hear about it. I don't know if announcing the themes in advance in the thread would help, or if it means Tom Watson is going to steal all your talking points.

FWIW I'm not a big fan of Discord either. It's partly the live thing - I like having time to organise my thoughts - and it's p[artly the audio thing, I interact much better via text, and I don't especailly like the idea of giving the internent another microphone into my home...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1219715962536103944?s=20

Planned obsolesce is my favourite feature of capitalism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm predicting a FF/Green/Independent coalition. It's 2007 again hell yeah!!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Well it's just ike my opinion innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Telegraphs run down wires, you loving 19th millennials with your spark gaps and your kites and your Oil of Macassar will never convince me otherwise.
I only communicate by epic montages of pyres on mountaintops, miss me with that new famgled poo poo.