Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The Butcher posted:

Then please continue to stay out of the loving way. We are kind of running out of dicking around time at this point.

edit: I put Horgan in the quote text before. The reality is now corrected, and shittier.

The dude was a climate scientist. I actually was in one of his classes and respected him.

I'm curious; in his class, did he ever give any indication of taking the climate crisis less seriously than a climate scientist probably should?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I doubt it, I've also met students of his and they defend him based on those years. Even if he was a great teacher and smart about teaching related things, he's a dumb rear end politician

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/EDenhoff/status/1218679560033619968?s=19

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

congratulations to conrad on the pc leadership

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

The environment/geography wasn't friendly to wheels until relatively recently. Waterways bro

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
every time i see some stupid conrad black thing it reminds me he's not dead yet

hang in there folks, it's only a matter of time

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

isnt Conrad Black guilty of like treason wtf is he doing here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

every time i see some stupid conrad black thing it reminds me he's not dead yet

hang in there folks, it's only a matter of time

They said the same thing about Dick Cheney

Suplex Liberace posted:

isnt Conrad Black guilty of like treason wtf is he doing here

It was only a little treason (it was actually fraud)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Hard to commit treason against a country where you're no longer a citizen.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he hid his company's profits in his employee's pension plan iirc. He's truly a remarkable person, one of the few wealthy people in the US who actually spent time in prison after committing a felony.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 20, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The 'civilizing the savages' narrative completely ignores a) how brutal white colonization was, and b) the fact that settlers were preceded by their diseases, destroying complex societies and leaving a post-apocalyptic continent largely empty for the taking.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Dreylad posted:

he hid his company's prophets in his employee's pension plan iirc. He's truly a remarkable person, one of the few wealthy people in the US who actually spent time in prison after committing a felony.
I choose to believe that 'prophets' is the correct word there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Albino Squirrel posted:

I choose to believe that 'prophets' is the correct word there.

drat just before I got the edit in...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyways, even accepting for the sake of argument the inherently racist and imperial position that European civilization was "superior", how are you defining that and over what timeline? Because western capitalism is going to cook the loving earth and kill all of us.

Hard to know what the indigenous people of NA would be doing because we thoroughly genocided them, but whatever it is, it was probably not making the world unlivable. So maybe they were the superior ones?

Should be astonishing anyone listens to what that racist grifter criminal gently caress says but it really isnt. There really are 3rd acts for all the worst loving people

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Don't think I saw this one cross posted, found in the GBS schadenfreude thread:

https://twitter.com/BannockHammock/status/1217498542232809472

Blood Boils posted:

I doubt it, I've also met students of his and they defend him based on those years. Even if he was a great teacher and smart about teaching related things, he's a dumb rear end politician

And on the Weaver thing, this would pretty much be my take as well. He seemed earnest and engaged, like all of the ES profs I met.

I don't know what the deal is. He has mentioned health issues, so might just be he has a diagnosed estimated time left and wants to max out the politician money for his fam for the rest of the time he has left.

Can't really get mad at that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

infernal machines posted:

It was only a little treason (it was actually fraud)

Lords can have little a fraud as a treat.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1219271450529423360

When you're an objective journalist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Canwest sucks you say?

The hell?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Where can I read more about how exactly someone becomes a higher-up in a provincial political party? Or at least, are there any decent biographies out there from which I can infer a general rule?

I can theorize but it'd probably end up as projection.

edit:
I'm trying to wrap my head around how (e.g.) Rod Allen in BC or Stephen Lecce in Ontario end up in control of Ministries, and then pursue an agenda that will TOTALLY COINCIDENTALLY both shrink spending, AND produce what they feel are good results. And I'm trying to not be cynical or uncharitable.

Do they arrive in the Ministry and then a higher-up says "you're losing $X from your budget, figure it out" and then they choke back the bile and lie until they themselves believe it?

just another fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 20, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
From what I've seen both as a public servant and friends of people with high ranking government officials, they literally give no fucks about anything beyond doing what they deem necessary to protect themselves and stakeholders.

Stakeholders being the people providing the bulk of their material support wrt campaign funding, perks, and the inevitable bailing on the public service to cash in via the private sector.

So they protect their budget because that protects their position. Beyond that, who cares.

I've never once seen a high level appointed or elected person show any care for the human beings their ministry is charged with serving. It's just a job.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Heres our budget, heres my goals as a completely self serving individual, here are the big spenders and general demographics we don't want to harm because they benefit me or my party either with funding or as a voter base. Heres the general plan for our ministry that is completely about politics and not at all about serving the public. Do the needful to make it work"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

What's biased about this take? The protestors blocked/prevented people from getting to ferries to inconvenience them (to draw attention to BC Ferries, the RCMP, etc.). Like yeah "this is who to thank" is kind of eye-rolling language but it's pretty accurate. And the entire press release is right there.

I will admit to not knowing anything about Zussman, so maybe he's just generally lovely.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Journalist should use a more neutral tone

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If your headline is "protestors block traffic" that is true but also not neutral. Being truthful is not the same as being unbiased. Reporters have to choose which facts to report and how to color them based on what they think is important. This is an inherently biased process. If you're trying to be unbiased, you're just going to inject your own bias about what "unbiased" means.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Protestors are blocking Swartz Bay Ferry terminal in ‘solidarity’ with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs. I would expect this won’t help gain sympathy from those stuck trying to get to the mainland. #bcpoli

I don't know who is giving the pipeline protesters their PR advice, but this is not the way to increase public support for their cause. This is the opposite of that. #bcpoli

He is not one of the good ones.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

As if BC could be expected to take the side of the people we stole land from when it doesn't involve our hated enemy Albertan interests/oil.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think anything they could do would increase public support for their cause, so they might as well show the BC government that there are people willing to disrupt business as usual if they pull poo poo like this.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Protestors are blocking Swartz Bay Ferry terminal in ‘solidarity’ with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs. I would expect this won’t help gain sympathy from those stuck trying to get to the mainland. #bcpoli

I don't know who is giving the pipeline protesters their PR advice, but this is not the way to increase public support for their cause. This is the opposite of that. #bcpoli

He is not one of the good ones.

Look all he's asking is for them to hold their protest somewhere out of the way, where nobody will notice.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Surely Global BC would still report on it. :lol:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Trapick posted:

What's biased about this take? The protestors blocked/prevented people from getting to ferries to inconvenience them (to draw attention to BC Ferries, the RCMP, etc.). Like yeah "this is who to thank" is kind of eye-rolling language but it's pretty accurate. And the entire press release is right there.

I will admit to not knowing anything about Zussman, so maybe he's just generally lovely.

I haven't found Zussman generally lovely, but yes I think the sneering "here's who you have to thank for missing your meeting, lemme know if that convinced you to change your mind" language really grating and dismissive of activism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do these protesters not have jobs? Clearly not, or they'd be at work, like you, upstanding citizen!

These people have nothing better to do than interfere with your ability to get to your important meeting.

It's incredibly tired framing, but obviously it works.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 21, 2020

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

But the entire stated goal of the protestors (from their own press release) is to disrupt the morning sailings and blockade the highway, presumably to inconvenience people, get people talking, draw attention to the situation, etc.

Like dude's tweet is literally accomplishing the goal of the protestors. If he's against their activism I don't think he's very good at it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

MEC is flailing so bad they're bailing on their brand new office.

quote:

MEC to sublease head office; change business strategy to stem losses
Outdoor equipment manufacturer and retailer lost $11.5M in last fiscal year

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Business genius, right here:

Some MEC-branded products – such as so-called toaster suits, or kids’ onesies – sell so well that they are often out of stock, so resources should be put toward ramping up production of those items, he explained.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
If they fail it will obviously be the result of their workers trying to unionize.

I need to pay attention to the spring board elections and start voting again. OTOH I haven't bought anything from MEC in several years. I do need a new headlamp and Leatherman tool soonish though. The Costco and Canadian Tire headlamps are crap.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Since Google and Facebook took all the ad money away the national media has to resort to reporting on some people being mad on Twitter about dumb bullshit.

https://twitter.com/globalwinnipeg/status/1219681853331976192

But wait! There's more!

https://twitter.com/OhDoughnuts/status/1219434179777032192
https://twitter.com/OhDoughnuts/status/1219434181337309194

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
https://twitter.com/JustinNobel/status/1219605764462874625?s=19

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rip Jean Charest, not running for CPC leadership

Down to Poilievre, McKay, O'Toole? That's dire.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Leofish posted:

Since Google and Facebook took all the ad money away the national media has to resort to reporting on some people being mad on Twitter about dumb bullshit.

https://twitter.com/globalwinnipeg/status/1219681853331976192

But wait! There's more!

https://twitter.com/OhDoughnuts/status/1219434179777032192
https://twitter.com/OhDoughnuts/status/1219434181337309194

Oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Oh Doughnuts is delicious and I'm going to buy some the next time I'm in Winnipeg