Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Getting pretty pedantic here but do I include the hyphen in my VIN when I fill out the DOT form? Or just the letters/digits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

French Canadian posted:

Getting pretty pedantic here but do I include the hyphen in my VIN when I fill out the DOT form? Or just the letters/digits?

You do not include the hyphen, just the letters and numbers.

If your VIN is ABC-123 then you fill it out on the forms as "ABC123".

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

You do not include the hyphen, just the letters and numbers.

If your VIN is ABC-123 then you fill it out on the forms as "ABC123".

Thanks!

Camper transport update...it's about the enter the Panama Canal!

Still don't understand how it's the same price to ship to east versus west coast v:unsmith:v

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

Paging DJ Commie

I'm going to bet it's thrashed. :(

Also, anyone want to buy some Hijet parts? Whole lotta S80 stuff!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 20, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

I'm going to bet it's thrashed. :(

Also, anyone want to buy some Hijet parts? Whole lotta S80 stuff!

Considering the seat covers and mileage, yeah it probably is. I was more chuffed with the wheels and their paint treatment and what that would look like on our Rugger. Rockys come up every so often for auction, and in better quality than this dealer lot one. Bet they won't have Enkei Bajas tho. And while I don't have quite as many parts as you do, I do have some extras that come with our new Prado:

Dock pictures of the 1993 Prado we recently bought. If you know Prados then this one is the absolute top trim you could have bought at the time with a single exception, no winch. A few dealer-only options too. It's the wide body EX (note the EX badge on the back is ~gold~) model which means it gets springy suspension seats in the front and a sunroof, along with a factory-subwoofer in the rear door. Top level faux-suede fabric inside (though those ugly "leather" seat covers are currently installed) yet they elected to go with the 5 speed manual. Third row seat option in the far back. It was optioned with rear diff lock (only rear difflock was available on these Prados) and has a OEM Toyota front bullbar complete with the 'Land Cruiser' pad on the top. Not sure about the extra bar underneath the rear bumper, but it is neat I suppose. Turbo diesel KZ 4cyl under the hood, dual parallel batteries and adjustable dampening suspension. As I suspected before too they changed out all the amber lenses on the outside for clear ones, but the old ones come with the truck so I'm having them air-mailed to me. Those front clear side lenses are rare as gently caress to find as a pair. Plus, OEM WHEELS WITH NEW (as of 2019) BF GOODRICH K02S WHITE LETTERS OUT. Found out the colors as well. Toyota labels the color as "24V" which isn't a color, but the color combination. The combination name is "Green Field Touring" because Japan, but the green paint is 6M1, Dark Green Pearl, and the silver paint is 181 Silver Metallic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm sure I've asked this already but just can't remember, is that a timing belt warning light?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Charles posted:

I'm sure I've asked this already but just can't remember, is that a timing belt warning light?

I'm gonna barge in and say yes because my Isuzu has the same sort of thing:

But I do want to ask...since my engine is interference, is that light coming on for me basically the death sign? Or how does the t-belt sensor work anyway on such an old-rear end diesel?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sure it's just a mileage timer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That thing is loving mint. Nice!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That Prado changes my perspective on everything. :holymoley:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm sure it's just a mileage timer.

So yeah it's a 'blind' odometer that's hidden behind everything. When it ticks over to 100,000 km the circuit closes and the light pops on. That rubber circle to the left of the odometer itself can be removed, then you stick something down in there to press the button on the face of it down. This is the same thing as resetting your trip meter, feels identical in that you can feel all the numbers rolling back to zero as you press down. Light goes out, put the rubber seal back in, go on with life.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
I'm a big fan of dumb accessories, and I am absolutely jazzed to have found this one for my Acty truck.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is awesome my 84 is missing ashtray maybe bc they were a non smoker would love to find one of those

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Well, Liberty Mutual's sister company SafeCo didn't bat an eye when I wanted to insure my bizarre imported camper with shorter than average VIN. $148/year for basic liability/bodily injury coverage. I guess they handle RVs and stuff that isn't daily driver oriented.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Beanzor posted:

I'm a big fan of dumb accessories, and I am absolutely jazzed to have found this one for my Acty truck.

That's... an ashtray with some ruby flocking and a sticker.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Yes it is.
I like the lining to absolutely denote that it is not to be used as an ashtray, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

poo poo's picking up in the last few minutes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Beanzor posted:

InitialDave posted:

Plus it says 'NONSMOKER' right on it, what else do you need to denote that it is a bespoke accessory???

:colbert::colbert::colbert:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I miss the weird coin tray my '91 Civic had - separate from the ashtray. It had that too. (I think, I don't smoke so I don't have any strong memories attached on that one.)

everdave - you happy with the outcome? It looks like it was pretty painless, at least from a "people causing drama" point of view, but I'm curious about your perspective.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Congrats on the sale! I'd be interested in hearing about your overall experience with BaT after this is all done.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kastivich posted:

Congrats on the sale! I'd be interested in hearing about your overall experience with BaT after this is all done.

I’d be happy to answer questions, it was a positive experience overall. Winning bidder was in contact with me from beginning he would have definitely gone higher. I made money not blow it out of the water money but I needed to move this one and it’s done and I’ll have the money tomorrow so a win in my book. very scary at no reserve.

Kaker your new cruiser is awesome I’ve been too consumed by my BAT auction to comment

Edit: I will post more about my BAT experience after my kids are asleep tonight. Anyone feel free to ask questions.

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 22, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Edit: I will post more about my BAT experience after my kids are asleep tonight. Anyone feel free to ask questions.

Please do. I'm considering using them, but really interested in a first hand account of how it all goes down, fees, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I’d be happy to answer questions, it was a positive experience overall. Winning bidder was in contact with me from beginning he would have definitely gone higher. I made money not blow it out of the water money but I needed to move this one and it’s done and I’ll have the money tomorrow so a win in my book. very scary at no reserve.

Oh, good! I was going to ask/hope you made a profit, or at least broke even.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
All said and done I made about 20% profit.

First problem is getting accepted to BAT.

Then if they do they are going to try to get you to go no reserve. I would have set the reserve at 9k on this to guarantee I would make $1k or close. I don’t know if that would have changed bidding.

I wanted to get my foot in the door there and this vehicle was ready to go with zero issues. I am happy with the sale but of course you always want to be that one that goes for an absurd amount of money.

Good pics are key. I just used my iPhone but I tried for good locations and during the golden hour of before sunset. The more the better. More videos would have been better.

You will be assigned one guy who comes up with a draft of listing. You will know more than them about your vehicle do not be afraid to revise and suggest changes. I revised 5-6 times. I have no complaints with the guy I had it was all email and he was quick to respond and gave me no pushback.

Do not engage idiots who comment, I didn’t have many but you just have to ignore.

My only cost was the $99 listing fee. Winning bidder pays 5% to BAT on top.

It’s nice knowing something is going to sell no matter what but very scary when it’s sitting at a price way less than you have in it for days. Like mine most bids come at the end.

If I had one more of the bidders willing to bid a little higher my buyer was ready to go a few thousand more, but he would have never seen the truck on eBay or craigslist.

Any other questions post here or PM me anytime that goes for anyone.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

All said and done I made about 20% profit.

First problem is getting accepted to BAT.

Then if they do they are going to try to get you to go no reserve. I would have set the reserve at 9k on this to guarantee I would make $1k or close. I don’t know if that would have changed bidding.

I wanted to get my foot in the door there and this vehicle was ready to go with zero issues. I am happy with the sale but of course you always want to be that one that goes for an absurd amount of money.

Good pics are key. I just used my iPhone but I tried for good locations and during the golden hour of before sunset. The more the better. More videos would have been better.

You will be assigned one guy who comes up with a draft of listing. You will know more than them about your vehicle do not be afraid to revise and suggest changes. I revised 5-6 times. I have no complaints with the guy I had it was all email and he was quick to respond and gave me no pushback.

Do not engage idiots who comment, I didn’t have many but you just have to ignore.

My only cost was the $99 listing fee. Winning bidder pays 5% to BAT on top.

It’s nice knowing something is going to sell no matter what but very scary when it’s sitting at a price way less than you have in it for days. Like mine most bids come at the end.

If I had one more of the bidders willing to bid a little higher my buyer was ready to go a few thousand more, but he would have never seen the truck on eBay or craigslist.

Any other questions post here or PM me anytime that goes for anyone.

To add my own experiences to this (had 3 total vehicles on BaT, 83 Hijet Van, 85 Hilux Surf and 93 Rugger)

The do try to get you to go no reserve, they claim that the auction gets more attention and can deliver higher sold prices. They don't give a poo poo about you though, they make money no matter what. You pay them 100 bucks, they get 5% of whatever price is paid. They want everything they list to sell so they always want no reserve because they get that guaranteed 5%. However on my Rugger I said no, then they suggested a very low reserve. I said "No thanks" and was ready to walk, then they went ahead with my suggested reserve.

Modern cell phones are perfect for taking pictures of the cars, more important is the lighting (as mentioned the ~Golden Hour~) and amount of pictures of all angles. Videos are always extremely helpful and count for a ton for buyers.

The people they assigned for my three listings where all good people, but yeah they didn't know much about the vehicles themselves. They are more editors and streamliners than auto enthusiasts.

Idiots are everywhere, my Rugger listing was full of ignorant boomer types and extremely entitled man babies. Since it didn't meet reserve lots of people posted right at the end stuff like "HEH DIDN'T SELL WOW OVERPRICED". A month later I sold it for way beyond the reserve on BaT privately. Some guy contacted me right afterwards and tried to offer a 100,000 mile Samurai without AC for my 15,000 mile turbo diesel Rugger, with AC.

Trying to make a business selling on Bring a Trailer is a fools errand imho, much, much easier to build a ~brand~ outside of that and engage with customers directly. If you like what you are doing and actually care then all that comes naturally and easily. Bring a Trailer might have been cool before, but now it's a vessel for retiring boomers to act like they know something about cars* mixed in with a bunch of young morons who know they know everything already, and everyone is incredibly entitled.

*I stole this line

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
All valid points, and if they magically accepted the 15 or so imports I have now I’d probably lose my shirt on most of them on BAT. This one worked out for me but I will be very careful with choosing the next one I submit to BAT. I needed to move this fire truck, it was gas and 2wd. Frees up some space and gets it out of the elements and I did luckily make money on this, not what I wanted bc I may sound crazy but 50% profit is my target for most of my vehicles.

My buddy just won a really nice 3.0 prado, I am in negotiations for a 4wd Fargo right now. Sell one buy one!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

French Canadian posted:

I'm gonna barge in and say yes because my Isuzu has the same sort of thing:

But I do want to ask...since my engine is interference, is that light coming on for me basically the death sign? Or how does the t-belt sensor work anyway on such an old-rear end diesel?

It just gives you a warning that you should change it because its due, not that its going to explode tomorrow.

For example, my mates 80 series 1HD-T landcruiser has 100k km timing belt intervals. The belt is the exact same toyota part number for my 1HD-FTE 100 series landcruiser and thats got 150K km belt intervals.

Although mine is getting done at 100K kms after doing one at 150K and finding a completely dead hydraulic tensioner and an inch of slack in the belt on the tension side!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEiDj3kRdI

Timing belt failure on my engine is $7K minimum in damage. Though my old boss was 50K kms over the recommended interval on his 1KZ-TE hilux so who knows how long they'll actually go for!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ferremit posted:

It just gives you a warning that you should change it because its due, not that its going to explode tomorrow.

For example, my mates 80 series 1HD-T landcruiser has 100k km timing belt intervals. The belt is the exact same toyota part number for my 1HD-FTE 100 series landcruiser and thats got 150K km belt intervals.

Although mine is getting done at 100K kms after doing one at 150K and finding a completely dead hydraulic tensioner and an inch of slack in the belt on the tension side!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEiDj3kRdI

Timing belt failure on my engine is $7K minimum in damage. Though my old boss was 50K kms over the recommended interval on his 1KZ-TE hilux so who knows how long they'll actually go for!

On my Fargo's engine, you can loosen the hold-down bolt for the tensioner which takes up slack as the belt slowly lengthens over time. Though I suppose the mechanical spring can wear out over time. I tried to find a new spring but they don't exist...anywhere.

Also, is it possible to visually inspect a timing belt for wear? If it's nice and clean and not frayed, is it safe to leave? Or do timing belts just go from "looking good" to "dead" in the blink of an eye? Because I think I won't know for sure how many miles are on my camper's belt when I get it unless that sticker is on the timing belt cover.

I might just pop my front timing upper cover off and inspect, and do the tension take-up thing. Then just enjoy the drat thing for a thousand miles or so before diving in. Otherwise I fear I will work on it forever and never have fun with it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its generally 10yrs or 100K kms to take into account vehicles that idle a lot I think.

They do go bad with age like all rubber products tho

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Generally if you can see the timing belt you're most of the way to changing it. Since doing a timing belt is all about the labor in getting to the fuckin' thing I can't really imagine a situation where you get to the belt and leave it in there. You took the time and spent the effort to get to it, just change it.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

do you have an idea of what your asking price on this is going to be? I know someone who might want it straightaway. feel free to PM me if/when prudent

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey! If you are ordering from megazip or whatever which is Right or Left hand side? Is it me looking straight on at the car? Or what? I might not even need this trunk hinge I am looking at but this will be good to know for my fleet. Does it make sense what I am asking?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Caveat: I haven't ordered from megazip, so I can't really answer.

I'd be shocked if it was anything other than "from the perspective of the driver, sitting in the vehicle" - that's definitely the way things are normally done.

I would imagine they don't use driver/passenger (as is even more the norm) because they're dealing with clientele potentially buying a RHD car in a LHD country (or vice versa?). It would make sense that they follow the norm established there, though - RHD means the driver is in the seat on the right side of the vehicle, from their perspective, and LHD means the driver, from their perspective, is on the left.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They’re using the manufacturer’s specification of RH and LH (often marked in the part, or in the part number), so, in my experience, always from the driver’s perspective.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So if I was ordering a hinge for the trunk behind the driver in a RHD skyline, we are thinking I should order the “right side” hinge, correct?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

everdave posted:

So if I was ordering a hinge for the trunk behind the driver in a RHD skyline, we are thinking I should order the “right side” hinge, correct?

My memory is fuzzy but this is for an R32 right? If so this might help: https://www.nengun.com/oem/parts/MjU5MDI1IC0gTXZDZm1vQlpNX0NmbW9FcUxUZzBNeTB3TURFIC0gVHJ1bmsgTGlkICYgRml0dGluZyA8Ym9keT4=

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thins would be for a R33 but I might not even need it, I just thought this would be a good time to ask for when I need to order something ASAP while I was trying to figure this out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It's good.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Pimptastic!!

And in other news I just got another win:

95 Toyota DIESEL 4WD fire truck. 6,800 miles. I stole this one. Listed wrong and it’s a July 95 so gotta wait a bit will ship right at the end of May.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Be interested to know if that gets kept as a fire engine, or if the buyer will demount the rear body and replace it with a trayback or something.