Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Personally, I take it off to shower and then I put it on and need to unlock it. I don’t have my phone on me then. Is that so uncommon a case?

Nah this is me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hadji murad posted:

I live in Japan. Would probably get the watch back too if I was careless enough to leave it lying around. No passcode is probably a bad idea in some places, but not everywhere.

Fly Ricky posted:

Ditto. You could leave your iPhone unlock on the subway and get it back the next day. Let alone your watch. There's no smash-and-grab poo poo here.

Are you two trolling right now? I refuse to believe that I can leave an iPhone or anything valuable sitting on a table in a crowded bar in Japan and not have that be stolen. Like I get that different places = different culture but we’re all humans and do lovely stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Same. Or I shower before I put the watch on.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you two trolling right now? I refuse to believe that I can leave an iPhone or anything valuable sitting on a table in a crowded bar in Japan and not have that be stolen. Like I get that different places = different culture but we’re all humans and do lovely stuff.

People put laptops and phones down in coffee shops to save their place before going up to order. An unlocked Apple Watch would probably work too.

There are a number of reasons for why it is this way, but that’s just how it works.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
A few days ago, a friend left his wallet with 300€ in it in an overnight train in Austria. It was sent to him by the finder a few days later. There really are places where it’s unlikely that your stuff gets stolen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Disturbing that the places being posted are largely ethnic monocultures. Less disturbing that they have comparatively strong educational, economic, and social safety nets.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Boris Galerkin posted:

A fellow expat found ~$550 cash on the floor of a train station on New Year's Eve. His Japanese friend INSISTED that he turn the money in to the station manager. I wouldn't go out of my way to leave my wallet/iPhone/Apple Watch/etc. around, but like hadji & Honj said, that's just the way stuff works in some places.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smackfu posted:

Personally, I take it off to shower and then I put it on and need to unlock it. I don’t have my phone on me then. Is that so uncommon a case?

Red_Fred posted:

Nah this is me too.

The solution to this is just to wear it in the shower

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

101 posted:

The solution to this is just to wear it in the shower

But as I mentioned last page, you gotta dry you wrist anyway so...:colbert:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Apple sent my watch back and said they wont repair cosmetic damage even under apple care. I called up and told them why did you take in my watch saying you will repair it. I was on the line for a good hour and escalated. They will not and can't fix the cosmetic discolouration on the watch. They are sending me a complimentary Apple TV 4K but cannot repair my watch even if I offer to pay.

What the gently caress.

I'm taking it into my local jewelry store tomorrow to see if they can fix the scratch or I might have to get the right colour automotive paint or something. Pretty dumb stuff.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Housh posted:

They are sending me a complimentary Apple TV 4K

What. Hold up. How’d you score that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Housh posted:

Apple sent my watch back and said they wont repair cosmetic damage even under apple care. I called up and told them why did you take in my watch saying you will repair it. I was on the line for a good hour and escalated. They will not and can't fix the cosmetic discolouration on the watch. They are sending me a complimentary Apple TV 4K but cannot repair my watch even if I offer to pay.

What the gently caress.

I'm taking it into my local jewelry store tomorrow to see if they can fix the scratch or I might have to get the right colour automotive paint or something. Pretty dumb stuff.

Next phone call with apple support: "yeah it's so weird I was at the shooting range and I guess the strap broke? because it fell off and that's how it got a bullet hole straight through the middle."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

What the gently caress.

Go smash the screen

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

cowofwar posted:

What. Hold up. How’d you score that?

Sounds like he got to talk to Customer Relations, they're the "We admit we hosed up..." people.

All I got was a free iPad Pro smart folio, shoulda aimed higher.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Repaired my watch and the breathe app keeps popping up. I turned off the notifications but it still comes back. It's driving me crazy! Did the change something since the update or do I need to unpair and pair my watch again?

edit: Solved my issue...since the watchOS update, data sources for the Siri Face cards are under "Clock" and way at the bottom. What the gently caress, Apple? No one on the customer support side even knew that...

Also, I used a loving pencil eraser on what I thought was a scratch on my watch and it came off. Must've been metallic residue from the exercise machine rubbing into the titanium. My watch is as good as new and I got a free 64GB Apple TV 4K.

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 18, 2020

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
This page has been firstworldproblems.txt

We are all Karen.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It’s an Apple Watch thread. What do you expect?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad wants to try a sleep tracking app on his watch. Which one works the best and gives the most useful information?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like autosleep because you don't need to do anything but fall asleep. I personally find it provides a bit too much info on some screens, I mainly care about hours and when I fell asleep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I like autosleep because you don't need to do anything but fall asleep. I personally find it provides a bit too much info on some screens, I mainly care about hours and when I fell asleep.

Thanks I'll check it out!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Consummate Professional posted:

AutoSleep is a goddamn top tier app. It's sister app, AutoWake is as well. I would even say they are two of the absolute best apps I've ever used in the iOS ecosystem. And they use surprisingly little battery power. I pop the watch on the charger and it's at 100% in minutes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fly Ricky posted:

AutoSleep is a goddamn top tier app. It's sister app, AutoWake is as well. I would even say they are two of the absolute best apps I've ever used in the iOS ecosystem. And they use surprisingly little battery power. I pop the watch on the charger and it's at 100% in minutes.

What of the cousin app, though? (AutoDeath)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

enojy posted:

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

Coming back to this, I got mine in the mail today and I agree that it's a very nice replica. Looks and feels just like the one I tried at the apple store. I won't feel bad if it scuffs or wears on a $50-ish band either.

I find that having one less link on the pinky side seems to center the clasp better on my wrist, but YMMV. Since there's no half-links it may make more sense to have an asymmetrical number of links.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kefkafloyd posted:

Coming back to this, I got mine in the mail today and I agree that it's a very nice replica. Looks and feels just like the one I tried at the apple store. I won't feel bad if it scuffs or wears on a $50-ish band either.

I find that having one less link on the pinky side seems to center the clasp better on my wrist, but YMMV. Since there's no half-links it may make more sense to have an asymmetrical number of links.

Same here! I'm quite pleased with it as a whole. Fitment is 99% perfect, and it feels great on the wrist. It's just missing that DLC coating (on the black one), which isn't worth another $400 to me. The brushed steel look is nice in its own way.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It also meshes well with a space gray aluminum case, which I have.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Housh posted:

It’s an Apple Watch thread. What do you expect?

To speak to your manager.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do you actually pay with your Apple Watch? I opened the Wallet app, saw my card, it said double click to pay -- I'm sitting there tapping various parts of the screen twice looking like an idiot and could never get it to work.

Edit: Also, is there a way to temporarily disable your normal fitness goals if you're recovering from an injury/surgery?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Double press the button and your card should pop up. Then tap it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Double tap the side button for Apple pay.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Small White Dragon posted:

Edit: Also, is there a way to temporarily disable your normal fitness goals if you're recovering from an injury/surgery?

You can change your move goal with a force touch in the activity app. The green and blue goals can't be changed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thinking about upgrading my S2 but wanted to hit up a few questions so I can decide between the S4, S5, or just wait until fall for the 6.

- for the always on display, when the 5 launched there was discussion about the battery not lasting the whole day and being poo poo, has that continued or was it just an early-on issue/perception
- if you have a 5, how are you enjoying the always on display?
- other than the compass, display, and slightly faster processor in the 5, any other changes? Sweet rear end watch faces? A second modular face?
- my S2 isn't slow exactly, but not zippy enough that it's a bit frustrating to use the watch apps, with the faster processors is it more usable now?
- what features are y'all thinking would be awesome and missing today that a S6 may address? Other than a round face and infinite battery I can't immediately think of anything that the new watches are lacking

Currently my heads at grabbing a 4 on a deal if there aren't any other new features than the AOD and compass. But I generally make these purchases infrequently so like to get as cutting edge as possible when I plunk down.

Lastly, as the S2 was 38mm and 42mm and the new ones are 40mm and 44mm, is the 40mm a good enough size now or still just a waste and go as big as possible for my wrist computer. This is more for my wife than myself as although I'm not a big dude I will still go with the bigger display.

Thanks!

E: forgot one question, there’s a metronome app for the watch that’s a brilliant idea but when you turn your wrist it disables because the screen goes off (per Apple standards apps cannot run while the screen is off I suppose?). Can anyone see if this is still an issue with the AOD display? Having a metronome pulsing my wrist while attempting to play guitar would be incredible. App link below:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pulse-metronome-tap-tempo/id1097323003

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 26, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I upgraded from the S1 to a S5. I haven't noticed anything with the battery and I think the AOD causes battery issues was not the majority of cases. I like the AOD a lot because with my S1 I felt like I was often running into my wrist flip not being good enough for the watch.

In terms of performance it's mind blowing to me how quick and responsive it is. I was used to the S1 and everything just taking time to load and all of that lag is gone. It's pretty wonderful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I upgraded from the s2 to the s5 and it was exactly everything I wanted in an upgrade. I don’t notice any difference in battery. I throw my watch on the charger before bed each night. AOD is exactly what I wanted and for the watch to be snappier to be able to use all the apps.

A+ watch. Would buy again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Haven’t noticed any meaningful battery life changes with S5 with AOD vs S3. I charge only at night, get up at 7 AM and both have 30% left at the end of the day at 11 PM, with 30-40 minutes of gym workout. This is with the 38/40 mm size too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The AOD is cool but the battery sucks poo poo vs my old S3. I don’t think it has anything to do with the AOD, oddly enough. Turning it off doesn’t gain much battery throughout the day.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks everyone, pushing me over to the S5 line of thinking. Now I'm debating color. Currently have space grey aluminum. I like the idea of mixing it up this round with the silver. Really like the look of the SS but having difficulty justifying the cost on a tech item that has built in obsolescence.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grab a series 4 for cheap if you could find one. AOD isn’t worth the extra money imo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Grab a series 4 for cheap if you could find one. AOD isn’t worth the extra money imo.

Sounds trivial, but are there extra watch faces that the 5 has that the 4 doesn't? Or at least ones you don't want to miss? Since we don't have third party faces that is unfortunately a meaningful consideration. A SS S4 May be a good buy if they're still around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

Sounds trivial, but are there extra watch faces that the 5 has that the 4 doesn't? Or at least ones you don't want to miss? Since we don't have third party faces that is unfortunately a meaningful consideration. A SS S4 May be a good buy if they're still around.

4 and 5 share the same faces. They’re pretty much exactly the same except for 5 having AOD and compass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

4 and 5 share the same faces. They’re pretty much exactly the same except for 5 having AOD and compass.

$589 for a SS Silver refurb from Apple with white band (that I'd likely just toss and throw one of my bands for my S2 on it to start).

Extremely tempting. Thanks!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 26, 2020