Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

toplitzin posted:

We did a thing today.

You spaced it out from the baseboard? Are you going to just add quarter-round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You spaced it out from the baseboard? Are you going to just add quarter-round?

Laminate usually calls for expansion space at the edges, so adding quarter round is the most sensible way to do it without pulling trim.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yup, 1/4 round is in and so is a rug.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Well this sucked to wake up to this morning.

Have a plasterer coming in tomorrow morning to quote. Looks like it was attached using a bees dick worth of adhesive, and likely had some water ingress onto it over the last 15 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mutata posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about stuff like this too. What are the best boob light replacement fixtures that give pleasant lighting? We're tending towards track lights in a few places which let you direct your lighting and turn 1 source into several, but the fixtures themselves can be so ugly...
I really depends on the size of the room. You can get the Lowes kinda fixture that uses one box in the middle of the room with flexible track that you can clamp aimable LED lights onto. I'm not really happy with it, but it's what I've come up with that was easy to replace for now. It's noisy on a dimmer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, that's basically what we're thinking, at least for a couple rooms. Those or the old school ones that take regular size bulbs which are even uglier but at least take normal LED bulbs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeast posted:

Well this sucked to wake up to this morning.

Have a plasterer coming in tomorrow morning to quote. Looks like it was attached using a bees dick worth of adhesive, and likely had some water ingress onto it over the last 15 years.

Heckin WOAH

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I know it’s camera angle, but that StarJoist ™ in the third picture gives me the willies.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
.. at least there's no insulation to clean up?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

With rug and quarter round

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Lookin' good (but I'm more interested in the guitar in the corner).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's a cheap Gibson for loving off in Rocksmith.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

falz posted:

.. at least there's no insulation to clean up?

There's a silver lining to everything.

(in this case its drilled to the roof) :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

toplitzin posted:

With rug and quarter round

I am triggered by that sloppy butt-joint on the quarter round on that back wall. Practically dead-center under the window.

C'mon, toplitzin, you're better than this. :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Honestly I was a little twitchy about putting in all that effort just to throw a giant rug on it. To each their own, though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Honestly I was a little twitchy about putting in all that effort just to throw a giant rug on it. To each their own, though.

That was sort of my immediate reaction, would have gone with a much smaller rug.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We installed the cheapest floor material and its our first install job.

Trust me, there's a reason the rug is there already.

;)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Was that click-lock style planks or something else?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Keep talking about that dude's floor, but quick question: Best screws for exterior aluminum siding? Or is there some other mount solution I should use? I'm installing some simple security cameras outside.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nevets posted:

Was that click-lock style planks or something else?

Tongue and groove style backing/padding attached laminate. Where you have to keep the whole row at just the right angle until the last board is in, then rotate the whole row into place.

It was an 11*10' room for under $150. I didn't have high expectations of easy/good for finish. We took the Adam Savage approach of do it once cheap as possible to see how it goes, and next room we do we'll get higher quality click lock style instead.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My only experience has been with the click-lock stuff, where gaps between boards meant you didn't whack it into place hard/often enough when laying it down. I've wondered how tongue & groove laminate flooring avoids unglued boards separating from each other due to contraction. I always figured they just painted the tongues black so it wasn't as noticeable.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I put the click-lock stuff in my bathroom a couple months ago and I'm pretty happy with how it looks, how easy it was to install, and how inexpensive it was.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, this was the sub $1/sqft stuff.

Will definitely get better stuff next time.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Did you use a block and mallet to knock them together during install? Literally impossible to do that properly without that imo.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

mutata posted:

Keep talking about that dude's floor, but quick question: Best screws for exterior aluminum siding? Or is there some other mount solution I should use? I'm installing some simple security cameras outside.

Do you have to go through the siding?

A quick google search says normal steel screws with aluminum can cause some galvanic corrosion. My guess is they wont react in a way that destroys the siding, but rather causes rust/deterioration and makes for an unsightly black streak down the side of your house.

I would try to go into the soffit, if that's possible, and don't forget the little bushing/grommet things for the wires.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SopWATh posted:

Do you have to go through the siding?

A quick google search says normal steel screws with aluminum can cause some galvanic corrosion. My guess is they wont react in a way that destroys the siding, but rather causes rust/deterioration and makes for an unsightly black streak down the side of your house.

I would try to go into the soffit, if that's possible, and don't forget the little bushing/grommet things for the wires.

I suppose not, now that I look at it. I'll have to check the angles. The soffit is also aluminum, but I suppose it's easier to replace than the whole siding. Good point!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

falz posted:

Did you use a block and mallet to knock them together during install? Literally impossible to do that properly without that imo.

The tool less pieces actually assembled better, but yes, there was plenty of percussive assembly.

Again, I'm not mad at it, it was literally the cheapest floor with padding to find out what kind of effort it takes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any reason I should bat an eye at Allstate giving me a quote for homeowner's insurance that's 1/4 the cost of USAA with better coverage and a smaller deductible?

They've got plenty of bad reviews but USAA has completely sucked rear end at every insurance thing I've called them for so the bar is pretty low.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've had no experience with Allstate but my current homeowners is with USAA and I did compare them to the Costco insurance option and they were right in the same ballpark. Personally my dad and brother's all use USAA for home/auto and with all our claims over the years have only had positive experiences which tracks with the high satisfaction results for USAA in all the polls I've seen.

Kinda meandering here but given they are 1/4th the price I would consider getting some more quotes to see where they fall in comparison. Oh and I'd recheck your details on the two quotes, maybe you entered square footage wrong or some weird poo poo like that?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I would double check line items and make sure your roof is actually covered and did one of them miss flood insurance or some junk.

I went around and around with three different companies and it seemed like even though they could see the house from their Google maps thing, they insisted the siding was vinyl rather than brick and I had to be like, look at the picture you're all talking about when you mention the "beautiful landscaping" which is usually not actually covered in the same way if at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All the line items were there, but when I followed up on the quote with a human the final offer I got ended up being only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than USAA. Apparently accounting for a $50k increase in home value since purchase tacked on another $1,200/yr.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Tuesday a company is coming out to do environmental testing for our bathroom renos. :ohdear:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A nice place to chill with friends

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Concerned that something removed there might have actually been load bearing...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Concerned that something removed there might have actually been load bearing...

They drywall? Unless Grover built it.....no.

Without further context it looks like new bracing was put in to account for it as a cantilever-ish (still supports on the corners). Can't really say for sure with much more context.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Oh yeah, that was more of a joke.

Those studs were probably supporting the soffit joists that are straight above it, but otherwise not supporting any real structure of the house. GC has confirmed this as well. However, still need a field visit by the structural engineer just to confirm connections in the low roof plan, now that the walls are opened up.

The wall behind with the door frames though is absolutely load bearing (and needs to be temporarily supported/jacked up while dealing with foundation work).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

They drywall? Unless Grover built it.....no.

Without further context it looks like new bracing was put in to account for it as a cantilever-ish (still supports on the corners). Can't really say for sure with much more context.

On further analysis it was determined that the wall being removed is load bearing:

This is an upside down image of the roof structure. This was not accounted correctly for in the plans, so our structural engineer is coming out for a field visit to confirm next steps.

And - this is why you never DIY load bearing walls.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll be ok! It's just the roof, not the whole second floor! ...Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Getting close to putting down tile for this bathroom. Anyone have recommendations on tile underlay? It's just plywood at the moment, and I know I can just do mortar, but I'm seeing all this Schluter leveling plastic that looks pretty good