Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Thieves Guild for Good Guys finally released a patch to fix the whole 'completely breaking Blood on the Ice, somehow' glitch, although I'll have to wait for an alt to check if it really worked given I waited to download TGGG until after I'd done that quest this time around. I can throw my money around again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Honestly, doesn't Blood on the Ice just break itself? I think even in vanilla or vanilla+USP I've never had it work fully as intended.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pyrotoad posted:

Thieves Guild for Good Guys finally released a patch to fix the whole 'completely breaking Blood on the Ice, somehow' glitch, although I'll have to wait for an alt to check if it really worked given I waited to download TGGG until after I'd done that quest this time around. I can throw my money around again!

I wondered about that. Came into Skyrim with a character at level 12 or so from doing Skygerfall and I've been just accepting that I'm going to have a ton of quests thrown at me everywhere I go, but that one was missing from Windhelm. It's been a couple years since I last played Skyrim, so I thought maybe it had special triggers I hadn't hit yet (night-time / morning, have to have something else done already, etc.). Thanks for the heads up.

edit: NOPE, that hotfix patch of theirs is from November and I downloaded the mod this past week. Oh well.

Commander Keene posted:

That's tool assistance though. Gotta submit it to a different category.
:hmmyes: This fits with my preference for non-segmented runs.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Vavrek posted:

I wondered about that. Came into Skyrim with a character at level 12 or so from doing Skygerfall and I've been just accepting that I'm going to have a ton of quests thrown at me everywhere I go, but that one was missing from Windhelm. It's been a couple years since I last played Skyrim, so I thought maybe it had special triggers I hadn't hit yet (night-time / morning, have to have something else done already, etc.). Thanks for the heads up.

edit: NOPE, that hotfix patch of theirs is from November and I downloaded the mod this past week. Oh well.

IIRC Blood on the Ice only triggers after a certain number of trips to the Windhelm world-space. Fast-travel to the Windhelm stables from Whiterun and back a couple times, see if that kicks it off.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, doesn't Blood on the Ice just break itself? I think even in vanilla or vanilla+USP I've never had it work fully as intended.
I think the main issue with Blood on the Ice is the trigger. In Skyrim 1.0 it frequently refused to start even if all conditions were met (I spent hours trying to get it to launch in vanilla Skyrim in the month after launch), at least that part should be fixed now after a few patches/SE. However, the peculiar trigger remains and if scripting breaks it's still hard to manually fix, and it's also still easy to miss the quest if you pass by the right cells too many times even if the trigger scripting works as intended.

Pyrotoad posted:

IIRC Blood on the Ice only triggers after a certain number of trips to the Windhelm world-space. Fast-travel to the Windhelm stables from Whiterun and back a couple times, see if that kicks it off.
Pretty much. You can run between one farm and the stables then enter the town at night, then check the graveyard..

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Blood on the Ice being a prominent vanilla quest you can barely avoid, and still being a near-broken mess, is all the evidence necessary to realise that trying to design functional and heavily scripted quests in this engine is for extreme masochists only

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Blood on the Ice being a prominent vanilla quest you can barely avoid, and still being a near-broken mess, is all the evidence necessary to realise that trying to design functional and heavily scripted quests in this engine is for extreme masochists only
It should be super cool! False endings, a murder you can barely avert, all kinds of other features that are also broken!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Most of the problems are caused by lack of testing and unforeseen interactions with other quests.
For example, one the Dark Brotherhood quests points you to kill a certain NPC. They made an interaction where if that NPC dies, the NPC's mother commits suicide. Which is pretty neat. But Blood on the Ice's scripts requires that NPC's mother being alive and doesn't have a case for when she's dead.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I didn’t even know that that quest existed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the users.nexusmods.com domain inaccessible for anyone else? isup.me agrees with me that it's down. I can't log in (or log into Nexus via MO to link the two) and I have to update just a few things on my finally-working new computer but I can't log in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the users.nexusmods.com domain inaccessible for anyone else? isup.me agrees with me that it's down. I can't log in (or log into Nexus via MO to link the two) and I have to update just a few things on my finally-working new computer but I can't log in.
I can't sign in either.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And yet Fallout: New Vegas shipped (granted it shipped a buggy mess, but was well-patches)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Commander Keene posted:

I can't sign in either.

:same:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seems to be back up. Just a server hiccup I guess.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Raygereio posted:

Most of the problems are caused by lack of testing and unforeseen interactions with other quests.

bethesda.docx

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I only had Lucien for a couple of days now but I'm attached to the goober.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Raygereio posted:

For example, one the Dark Brotherhood quests points you to kill a certain NPC. They made an interaction where if that NPC dies, the NPC's mother commits suicide. Which is pretty neat. But Blood on the Ice's scripts requires that NPC's mother being alive and doesn't have a case for when she's dead.

Which is weird when you consider that for that same contract, the game accounts for you having killed the main target early - you miss out on the option to kill that certain NPC of course but they still knew to account for that (unless that's a USSEP restoration). Maybe that just points to different teams on each major questline?

Either way I guess it's not a big deal since technically there's two other paths into the murder house - brute lockpick force and asking the steward, I think.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Okay, here's an irritating minor bug. I have an icon stuck on my UI, in the spot where SkyUI puts active effects. It goes away if I turn off displaying those, so it's something to do with that. It has no duration bar, persists across saving and loading, and across reinstalling SkyUI. It does not show up on other characters. I'm wondering if it's trying to display some actual effect I have (being a vampire, maybe?) that doesn't have a duration.

Example:

Any ideas?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anything weird showing up in that one useless tab of your spellbook? I mean, it's going to show everything, but it might at least narrow it down a bit.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you! I sorted by duration remaining and there was one above the stuff with finite time left: the Amulet of Molag Bal, which adds Stamina/Magicka damage to my equipped weapon. When I put it on, I get a three or four second buff that runs down to zero and then just ... stays there. If I take it off, the icon goes away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nailed it. Glad I could help!

I'm trying Wheels of Lull for the first time, and it's broken as gently caress for me. Llavados's dialogue is going super fast and not making any noise and I can't get Numinar to actually talk to me when I select a dialogue option. Can I fix this with setstage _Lull_MQ02 or should I just shrug, say gently caress it, and ignore the mod altogether?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hrm. There's a Wheels of Lull Unofficial Patch, but I've done the starting stuff twice before I discovered that and never had problems like that. It sounds like the game can't properly find the dialogue sound files, as though there's a problem with the archive file.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
If you haven't already, make sure you've also got Fuz Ro D-oh which specifically addresses dialogue going by super fast if the game can't figure out sound files for the voice acting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vavrek posted:

Hrm. There's a Wheels of Lull Unofficial Patch, but I've done the starting stuff twice before I discovered that and never had problems like that. It sounds like the game can't properly find the dialogue sound files, as though there's a problem with the archive file.
Already got it. Because I'm the kind of idiot who looks for that.

GaistHeidegger posted:

If you haven't already, make sure you've also got Fuz Ro D-oh which specifically addresses dialogue going by super fast if the game can't figure out sound files for the voice acting.
I haven't, I'll give that a shot.

(probably reinstall the mod itself too, that shouldn't cause problems if I put it back in the same place in the load order, right?)

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Doing a playthrough with NOISE at the moment. Man, after years of using MLU, finding dwarven/elven/glass stuff all over at level 29 is irking me unexpectedly. I'm going to need a fainting couch once ebony and daedric stuff starts falling. On one hand I get the idea that people have been looting and trafficking these artifacts for a long time, and that there's no point in having these high end loot tables if most people wouldn't come across them for your average one-and-done players. I guess the lack of extra armor and weapon tiers from other mods is also making the loot tiers feel so rushed. Also seems strange that Bethesda decided that Dwarven was the second tier of heavy armor, since there is all this talk about how resistant it is to tarnishing and the secrets of its forging were lost. Feels like it should be more chased.

Hopefully Lexy's Wabbajack installer comes up long enough for me to download it at some point, as it most closely resembled my original mod list. On the plus side, I'm like 30 hours in and not a single crash with NOISE, which is why I tried out WJ in the first place. My last hand-modded run was unstable and I lacked the energy to try to pinpoint why.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dwarven armour has always been lowish tier, usually just after steel. It's strong and lasts forever, but with the 1000's of years of progress on that front, there's stronger, more protective stuff out there.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I like to think of dwarven metal as the fantasy equivalent of plastic. Great for mass production and lasts an incredibly long time, but not as durable as some other metals developed in more recent years.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Makes sense, all the really good dwemer materials are going into their weird reality-bending science projects, wouldn't make sense to waste design time or materials on rank and file militia, especially if cheap, mass-produced crap still outclasses half the rest of the world's metallurgy centuries onward.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

graynull posted:

Hopefully Lexy's Wabbajack installer comes up long enough for me to download it at some point, as it most closely resembled my original mod list. On the plus side, I'm like 30 hours in and not a single crash with NOISE, which is why I tried out WJ in the first place. My last hand-modded run was unstable and I lacked the energy to try to pinpoint why.

AFAIK it’s been up for a few days. I’ve found that using the GDrive link they have for it in the Wabbajack discord is a lot more reliable then trying to get it through the installer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bank error in my favor: holding one of the dragons from the "five dragons in containers throughout the world" perk from Ordinator, then going through the Forsworn Conspiracy and having all my stuff given back made it proc again and gave me 15k gold and a free perk point.

I wonder if that happens 1) when you get arrested and 2) when you do the Thalmor Embassy

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The armored mudcrab is free on the Creation Club.

EDIT: Turns out it's been for a while

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1137

Sigh. Does anyone know what "vanilla plus modding trends" means, like, at all?

Edit: or maybe not. Ordinator was briefly hidden by Enai for dumb mod drama reasons. Proof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ethso8/ordinator_has_been_hidden/

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 25, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i know he's put up with a ton from the community over the years, he has my sympathies. he's often dejected and cynical in his comments.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

tonberrykng posted:

Edit: or maybe not. Ordinator was briefly hidden by Enai for dumb mod drama reasons. Proof:

I think "Vanilla +" basically means incremental additions to vanilla design and gameplay, rather than overhauls and new systems.

gently caress, modders are broken.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tonberrykng posted:

Wait, he hid his mod because people weren't using it as much as he wanted? What? It's unhidden now but lmfao, hahahaha, Skyrim modders are crazy.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
I think the idea was to push people away from using Ordinator, which is more of a heavy duty perk overhaul, and force people to use minimalist perk mods like Enai's own Vokrii mod. Also, this was Enai's way of saying he's no longer supporting Ordinator.

The thing is Skyrim's vanilla perk system as it stands is really mediocre. I don't get where this sentiment is coming from where making little tweaks to the vanilla system is enough. Even if there was a larger community who preferred minimalist mods, taking away options is dumb as hell.

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 25, 2020

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Sounds like they're becoming burnt out supporting giant unwieldy mod installs that aren't at all stable even compared to vanilla.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Oh yeah, I get that, but why? Why try to control what the community is gonna choose? I'm glad he eventually just said what he wanted to say, which was say "I'm not updating it anymore. See ya suckers!"

And yeah, the perk system sucks in Skyrim. "Tweak" packs seem pointless to me since the perks are nonsense. That's why I still use SPERG.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
idk I don't expect any mod creator to act rationally as they live within an ecosystem of constantly being messaged lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Mods of this very board complain about the reporting queue, and i think between nexusmods and reddit and twitter and email, mod creators are inundated by very much more noise overall. Not defending them. just explaining why many seem to crack.