Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rickiep00h posted:

If you can get cheap silver, sure.

True. Silver is 100x more expensive. But that should improve sales! More money = better than.

edit: jesus christ...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Pure-silver-winding-wire_1926821318.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.70.43da4e23mT1s9i

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How do they keep the silver from oxidizing?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tone wax.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

So, jizz?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pickup wire is coated/enameled maybe that does it?

Edit: it’s jizz.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Presumably, gold could be used as well, given that it's an even better conductor.

The biggest instrument retail chain in Denmark went bankrupt last year, and now their stock is being auctioned off. Obviously, there are some good deals to be made, but there's also these Christmas decorations (prices in DKK):

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1279/elektrisk-guitar-4-sound-custom-guitar

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1263/elektrisk-bas-4-sound-custom-bass

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

BonHair posted:

Presumably, gold could be used as well, given that it's an even better conductor.

The biggest instrument retail chain in Denmark went bankrupt last year, and now their stock is being auctioned off. Obviously, there are some good deals to be made, but there's also these Christmas decorations (prices in DKK):

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1279/elektrisk-guitar-4-sound-custom-guitar

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1263/elektrisk-bas-4-sound-custom-bass

Silver has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity. Gold is actually a worse conductor than copper, but it doesn't tarnish like silver or copper do, so it gets used (with nickel to make it durable) for plating contacts or for very fine wires (like bond wires in semiconductors) because it's more ductile.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I stand corrected. But I'm sure the gold tones would be way better :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Winding gold wire would probably be the most infuriating process imaginable given how soft it is.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stupid/awesome music poo poo- a guitar pedal that only works if you spill beer in it

https://www.raingerfx.com/product/minibar-liquid-analyser/

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonHair posted:

I stand corrected. But I'm sure the gold tones would be way better :colbert:

I mean, if bilking bluesdads out of money for an inferior product is the goal, then yes, absolutely.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Stupid Music poo poo is trying to watch Universal Audio's livestream about their new DAW or reading their forum and seeing people scream bloody murder about summing mixers being Luna exclusive and not a plugin.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Weird BIAS posted:

Stupid Music poo poo is trying to watch Universal Audio's livestream about their new DAW or reading their forum and seeing people scream bloody murder about summing mixers being Luna exclusive and not a plugin.

lmao

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Like, I'm pretty in on UA stuff right now for a few reasons and I'll give Luna a fair shake when it's available for free in Spring but I find a lot of things going around about it hilarious and dumb. Like oh boy, it requires a thunderbolt Apollo or Arrow to be plugged in to use the DAW and also an ILOK, EVERYONE'S FAVOURITE WASTE OF SPACE. At the same time reading someone get angry about a free DAW for UA interfaces not being 100% perfect in version 1 or not being windows compatible when UA usually gets there eventually is just funny to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Please tell me more

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Joe Bogan posted:

Please tell me more

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/is-maxons-apex-808-the-best-sounding-tube-screamer-ever

Like everyone else they are cashing in on "mojo" insanity.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Heaven forbid anyone give the details of this chip, which is, like, the only thing anyone cares about in that pedal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rickiep00h posted:

Heaven forbid anyone give the details of this chip, which is, like, the only thing anyone cares about in that pedal.

JRC4558 from the 70s or 80s but it doesn't really matter. It's all horseshit.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao I hope he is charging them a fortune for this nonsense. Also seems a bit rude to be all "find why these out of spec ones sound better than your intended design, nerdlinger"

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

I guess by not giving a poo poo!

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
:eng101: It's winding wire, so it gets coated in varnish.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Chalupa Joe posted:

it gets coated in varnish.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Jizzmaster

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like most would-be players of jizz-covered offset guitars have enough cum in their balls. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Joe Bogan posted:

Lmao I hope he is charging them a fortune for this nonsense. Also seems a bit rude to be all "find why these out of spec ones sound better than your intended design, nerdlinger"

I think they woke grandpa up by waving stacks of cash under his nose.

So, the revived Hiwatt folks are up to some fun stunts:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 20, 2020

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think they woke grandpa up by waving stacks of cash under his nose.

So, the revived Hiwatt folks are up to some fun stunts:

We never went away! Just managed to get the unified trademark back now so we can sell in the States again. The custom shop is still in the UK, up the road from where its been for thirty years or so.

The 400s are absolute bastards (to play and also lift) but personally I've got to admit I don't find much in them over the venerable 201. They're a fun concept but there's a reason they're custom order only; even the glass alone costs a fortune these days and you don't have to run cooling on a 201...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hello, person who makes the magic possible!

I have one of your custom 50 watt heads. Love it to the level of my SLO-100, 1981 JCM800 and my Mark IV. Thank you for putting in hard work. :3:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wark Say posted:

Oh hello, person who makes the magic possible!

I have one of your custom 50 watt heads. Love it to the level of my SLO-100, 1981 JCM800 and my Mark IV. Thank you for putting in hard work. :3:

Alas, my involvement is strictly on the "shipping orders and testing stock" side right now but I'm hoping to be building in next few months. That said, I don't think I'm exaggerating much when I say the Custom 50/DR204 is one of, if not the, best sounding amp circuits in the world, so it's a pleasure to get to test them every day!

I've got a demo of me playing the new Custom 20s in the works at the moment so I'll pop that up as soon as we're done editing. Looking forward to getting some more of the range in front of a camera soon.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

massive spider posted:

Stupid/awesome music poo poo- a guitar pedal that only works if you spill beer in it

https://www.raingerfx.com/product/minibar-liquid-analyser/

Nothing good will come of this.

Why do I want one? But dear god, NOT "pre-loved"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dog_Meat posted:

Why do I want one? But dear god, NOT "pre-loved"

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
the wiring job on that hiwatt is making me hum right now :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
what if... a bar... but... gwar?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Did not expect the gwar bar is so vegan-friendly

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Does he still have blood cancer? 😢

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Have people posted this yet?

https://instagram.com/taras_guitars

I'm all for weird guitar shapes (hell I own two headless guitars myself) but this just looks all sorts of dumb. Also the captions are very ridiculous, it almost feels like an intentionally bad account.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
looks like what the 23rd century equivalent of a dadrock guy would play in star trek

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Dark Wind posted:

Have people posted this yet?

https://instagram.com/taras_guitars

I'm all for weird guitar shapes (hell I own two headless guitars myself) but this just looks all sorts of dumb. Also the captions are very ridiculous, it almost feels like an intentionally bad account.

Why is there an entire drat inch of empty space on either side of the fretboard?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Why is there an entire drat inch of empty space on either side of the fretboard?
More wood, more tone! Wokka wokka! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The Muppets On PCP posted:

looks like what the 23rd century equivalent of a dadrock guy would play in star trek

Worf and Riker at Budokan, their legs wide