Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sindai posted:

It's good

Rifle is Beautiful finished and it was also good. Halfway through there's an episode where their teacher considers which club member she wants to marry and her final answer is "all of them."

The Budoukan idol anime looks like it might be good? The shy idol probably has a crush on the main character and two of the other idols in the group are probably together.

did rifle is beautiful get better after the premier episode? i normally love studio 3hz's output but the first episode was very dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Dorohedoro is good

can confirm dorohedoro kicks rear end

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SweetBro posted:

Any suggestions this season for a darker thriller where the cast isn't in their teens? Something along the lines of Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, or Psychopass?

I'll add to the choir and say that Dorohedoro might be for you. It's certainly dark and brutal and the entire cast is composed of adults, (with one possible exception) but it's also very weird and often lightens the mood or (intentionally) whiplashes it with absurdist and goofy humour, so if you are looking for something super serious and grim its not quite it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'll give Babylon one thing: it's unpredictable. The second half changes protagonists to the president of the USA, and in the most recent episode the leaders of the G7 nations discuss the most basic moral philosophy you can imagine in an effort to figure out whether suicide is good or bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

me seeing a bunch of old men sitting in space discussing the trolley problem and i go gently caress YES!!! A MATURE ANIME!! FOR ADULTS!! and yell 'HYPE BABY UGNH' like a youtuber reacting to the latest episode of one piece

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

me seeing a bunch of old men sitting in space discussing the trolley problem and i go gently caress YES!!! A MATURE ANIME!! FOR ADULTS!! and yell 'HYPE BABY UGNH' like a youtuber reacting to the latest episode of one piece

yeah it owns

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm gonna check it out.

Also, the serpent in In/Spectre is super cute.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
On the second episode of Bofuri and it's the most fun MMORPG system I've seen in a show

"Oh I <did thing>? I GET A BONUS FOR IT"

Also I'm not entirely sure Hanako-San is actually an anime or if it's just some nth dimensional LN, but it's pretty striking and unique with its art design. I really hope it doesn't turn into some weird thing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 21, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yessss

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1219718898062385155?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Showing for LatAm already, gently caress yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQrKCytWbj8

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Homura and Sickle posted:

did rifle is beautiful get better after the premier episode? i normally love studio 3hz's output but the first episode was very dull

Not really, no. I watched it all because I was on the rifle team in cadets and that part felt incidental to the show, which isn't great if you're looking for a sports anime about rifle shooting. It's just a bunch of girls being overwhelmingly saccharine, so if that's what you're looking for and the background activity could be interchangeable with anything else then it might be your jam I guess.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sindai posted:

Halfway through there's an episode where their teacher considers which club member she wants to marry and her final answer is "all of them."

this did more to make me not want to watch RiB than anything else

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Coxswain Balls posted:

Not really, no. I watched it all because I was on the rifle team in cadets and that part felt incidental to the show, which isn't great if you're looking for a sports anime about rifle shooting. It's just a bunch of girls being overwhelmingly saccharine, so if that's what you're looking for and the background activity could be interchangeable with anything else then it might be your jam I guess.

Sounds like Asteroid in Love. I dropped it halfway through episode 2 because it is a snooze fest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
koisuru is a way better show than rifle, for one it has a cast that feels like they exist and have dynamics instead of being literally one repeating joke every episode

rifle occasionally has like one mildly funny line but it feels like an okay at best short anime stretched to fill out full-length episodes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Splode posted:

Sounds like Asteroid in Love. I dropped it halfway through episode 2 because it is a snooze fest.

I was about to say the same thing, but at least Asteroid in Love makes more than a basic attempt at including tidbits of astronomy/geology info. When they set up the telescope to do some planetary observing I was waiting for someone to go "hey, where did it go?!" because of course they don't have a fancy tracking mount, and I wasn't disappointed.

Long Riders is my gold standard for that type of series. It wasn't about racing but rather just chilling with your friends and having fun on bikes, but it gets across a lot of good info if you're a complete newb to recreational cycling. It has stuff like what kind of gear is available, what you should wear and why, what to eat so you don't bonk, how to ride in a paceline and so on, which has made me recommend it to folks who want to know more about bikes. As far as I know all of the routes it shows are real and they had them up on their website; the season finale on the Shimanami Kaido was what ended up pushing me to go do a bike tour across Japan, because they made it look so gorgeous.

While on the Shimanami Kaido I ran into some other bicycle tourists and because of Long Riders I was able to take them to some places off of the main route, like the bicycle shrine on Innoshima where we were able to get some cool talismans for the journey and hang out with a rad priest.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Get ready to head back to the Database

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1219818185832034305

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't think I will, thanks. :)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That seems like a really strange decision considering there has only been one new book since the last season. I guess maybe it could adapt some of the spin-off stuff, but a lot of that stuff is set parallel to the main story.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩��😩

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It really feels like Isekai Quartet was forced to put in Rising of the Shield Hero, because they're thrown into another class, hardly acknowledged, and are barely given any screentime at all.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I suppose the real question is, will the sound director continue his love affair with Man With A Mission?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eeepies posted:

It really feels like Isekai Quartet was forced to put in Rising of the Shield Hero, because they're thrown into another class, hardly acknowledged, and are barely given any screentime at all.

you just made me interested in watching isekai quartet again

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I cannot believe it's getting a 3rd season. It's DEEN again, but I'll gladly take that monkey paw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched the first ep of Eizouken and it was good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm watching Orphen in 2020 and holy poo poo these character names are amazing

Beware the magical might of Childman!

Resist the supernatural supremacy of Corgon!

Hello my magic name is Comicron!!!!!

I love it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I'm watching Orphen in 2020 and holy poo poo these character names are amazing

Beware the magical might of Childman!

Resist the supernatural supremacy of Corgon!

Hello my magic name is Comicron!!!!!

I love it

How can you forget Heartia? :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Heartia is good, but it's definitely a step down from Comicron. I can imagine some very out there parents naming a child Heartia.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

For years I couldn't figure out why Blur never had another hit. Their other music was good, it just seemed like they got the Woohoo song out there and just quit. Turns out he was just busy with his other project. Something called 'Gorillaz'. :shrug:

Dorohedoro is a riot already.

Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu ("A Destructive God Sits Next To Me") is dumb as gently caress and I love it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

Heartia is good, but it's definitely a step down from Comicron. I can imagine some very out there parents naming a child Heartia.

If you've not seen the original show, all I will say is Heartia should hopefully have some good comedic bits later on so don't count him out yet :allears:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

I cannot believe it's getting a 3rd season. It's DEEN again, but I'll gladly take that monkey paw.

The first season was great, the second season was decent except for the abysmal MMO raid episodes which should have been two episodes instead of five, and then it ended on a cliffhanger. Maybe the third season will be good again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ranzear posted:

For years I couldn't figure out why Blur never had another hit. Their other music was good, it just seemed like they got the Woohoo song out there and just quit. Turns out he was just busy with his other project. Something called 'Gorillaz'. :shrug:

Dorohedoro is a riot already.

Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu ("A Destructive God Sits Next To Me") is dumb as gently caress and I love it.

but they had several hits before and after song 2....

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Brand New Animal trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBYkmRvpQc
Looking pretty good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OnimaruXLR posted:

Brand New Animal trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBYkmRvpQc
Looking pretty good.
looks good, but, is it about humans who...get turned into animal-people, I assume through genetic experimenting or something? Since it seems the girl is a normal human girl, and then gets turned into a tanuki girl?

Is this the Splicers episode of Batman Beyond, but less futurey and horrific

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or did the animation quality take a cliff-dive for this week's ID: INVADED?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Eeepies posted:

The characters aren't interesting at all and there's not much you can do with a gimmick that basically boils down to, "Hello, I'm Naofumi and these are my groomed child slaves Filo and Raphtalia". While I get it due to differing publishers, I'm still pissed Slime didn't get in since the joke and gimmick potential is some much better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

but they had several hits before and after song 2....
I'm thinking that Ranzear means probably nothing 'as big as the self-titled' in terms of netting them a hit across the pond/crossover/whatchamacallit.

I mean fair, they had "Beetlebum" and "On your own" from the same record, and 20 years later you'll still find people who will go to bat for "Coffee and TV", "Tender" and "No Distance Left to Run" from 13. But "Song 2", along with the s/t as a whole was it. And again, it's likely because Coxon was a feisty 27-yo bright-eyed, coke-and-alcohol fuelled riff machine who had fallen in love hard for Pavement, R.E.M., Mission of Burma, Pixies and tons of american bands. And while obviously Blur was a different beast, the s/t as a whole was the more rowdier of their records.

Hell, Coxon straight up covered 2 Mission of Burma songs on his 2nd solo album The Golden D. Also, while I love Gorillaz, in my riff-loving opinion I think the best outcome of Blur going on hiatus was Coxon focusing on his solo output.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RikeKoi, in which two mildly autistic grad students attempt to define what love is.

I'd give it an "okay"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I mean fair, they had "Beetlebum" and "On your own" from the same record, and 20 years later you'll still find people who will go to bat for "Coffee and TV", "Tender" and "No Distance Left to Run" from 13. But "Song 2", along with the s/t as a whole was it.

Girls & Boys and There's No Other Way both peaked higher than Song #2 in the US...

https://www.billboard.com/music/blur/chart-history/alternative-songs

I'm not a huge Blur fan but I think you're selling them a little short here. They were pretty important along with Oasis, Pulp, Radiohead, etc. in the early to mid-90s. I think Blur's reputation suffered a bit too much for being pop sellout frauds or whatever.

(Though I guess I'm one of the people who would go to bat for the songs you mention above.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

Girls & Boys and There's No Other Way both peaked higher than Song #2 in the US...

https://www.billboard.com/music/blur/chart-history/alternative-songs

I'm not a huge Blur fan but I think you're selling them a little short here. They were pretty important along with Oasis, Pulp, Radiohead, etc. in the early to mid-90s. I think Blur's reputation suffered a bit too much for being pop sellout frauds or whatever.

(Though I guess I'm one of the people who would go to bat for the songs you mention above.)
Don't even get me started on Pulp. :allears:

I had the biggest crushes on Damon Albarn and Jarvis Cocker growing up, though admittedly not as much as with Chris Cornell or PJ Harvey. I think part of what made me like a lot of British bands was that, unlike a lot of american bands, most of the British blokes still kept to standard E tuning so you could cover them up (the thing that made me more money as a wee-pubert was busking) easier without fiddling with tuning and junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My visceral hatred for the movie bastardization of Starship Troopers is probably why that's the only Blur song I'm aware of.

Captain Invictus posted:

looks good, but, is it about humans who...get turned into animal-people, I assume through genetic experimenting or something? Since it seems the girl is a normal human girl, and then gets turned into a tanuki girl?

Is this the Splicers episode of Batman Beyond, but less futurey and horrific

Like the splicers from Batman Be-- oh you covered that. I think all but one of them were just partial changes though?

Looks Trigger as gently caress though. It's funny I have a story concept scribbled down from like 2010 where "human" cloning is illegal but an AI decides that modifying their genetics to be sufficiently not human skirts the law enough.

"FireBull" is an amazing way to ape a brand and sneak some drinking in...