Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

xbilkis posted:

Has she even hit the 450 in AEW yet? If not it's wild that she just has that in her back pocket (and has the piledriver as an alternate sick finish for TV)

Not that I'm aware of.

I need to watch more women's wrestling but I'm gonna be honest, I was not aware that there were women who did this kinda stuff. The women AEW has are good but there's a lot of jumping off the top rope into a stomp, not a lot of cool flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lucha Underground will always be a great what-if to me because they were kind of catching on for a program on a show that's so difficult to watch but by season 2 I fell off completely.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Apparently Vince hated that promo.

So there you go.

Oh he makes it painfully clear he hates fun, that much is certain

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Where is the god damned WOR i want to hear about the boat

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1219627377430552576?s=19

hulkhoganshoottweet.jpg

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

jesus WEP posted:

Where is the god damned WOR i want to hear about the boat

It's coming

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1219626773819928582

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

ECW died because after the TNN deal there was no way to go forward so Heyman took the job with the WWF instead of continuing to lose money. The TNN deal was an attempt to get more exposure and improve house show and PPVs. It didn't do that. It isn't close to the same situation.

WCW was losing tens of millions of dollars and Turner attempted to sell before cancelling it. They couldn't because of Vince's deal with TNN. The company didn't die because it was cancelled and they weren't getting huge TV rights fees. The TV show was cancelled because the second buyer fell through and they were sick of losing millions upon millions.

Listening to the retro review, they mention one week where the 2000 live attendance was 10% of the 1999 attendance. WCW had many issues aside from TV ratings. Many, many issues.

I really wish Lucha Underground has both been enough of a success to be continuing to now (or gone American Horror Story where the Aztec storyline ended and a different wrestling show was on El Rey). Instead they became assholes about contracts and their ratings didn't allow them to keep going, and hoo boy they were not consistently great.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wazzu posted:

Listening to the retro review, they mention one week where the 2000 live attendance was 10% of the 1999 attendance. WCW had many issues aside from TV ratings. Many, many issues.

I really wish Lucha Underground has both been enough of a success to be continuing to now (or gone American Horror Story where the Aztec storyline ended and a different wrestling show was on El Rey). Instead they became assholes about contracts and their ratings didn't allow them to keep going, and hoo boy they were not consistently great.

imagine having that much talent on the roster and putting your main title on Sexy loving Star.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lone Goat posted:

imagine having that much talent on the roster and putting your main title on Sexy loving Star.

She was both sexy and a star, what else do you need from a champion?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Remember when Lucha Underground devoted an entire episode to having top babyface Pentagon Dark beat up Kairi Sane, Mayu Iwatani & Io Shirai in 3 singles matches, where he laid in stiff shots on all 3 of them, "broke" Kairi & Mayu's arms & choked Io with a camera cable for an uncomfortable length of time, all the while with Matt Striker saying "Hey, violence knows no gender!" & such?

Fun times.

e: also they were all part of the Black Lotus Triad, because Chinese... Japanese... :shrug:

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I legit loved that match because it never seemed like they were outmatched. They laid into him. And beat him in the end by breaking both his arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-nGhN_YmI&t=2329s

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
From what I know of the three they'd have been offended had Pentagon not worked at least as stiff with them as he would with anyone: that's the way that they are wired as any intergender match involving a major Joshi wrestler would demonstrate. There's the very famous match where Kana booked herself in a tag against Minoru Suzuki (I think it was Suzuki+Meiko Satomura vs Kana+Naomichi Marufuji?) and basically told him to hit her as hard as possible which comes up every few months when someone is obviously going through her match history, finds that and then gets offended at Suzuki working stiff against Kana when it was her idea in the first place. The big thing about that match and those three Lucha Underground matches was the idea of showing fighting spirit and standing up for yourself which all of those matches delivered.

That's the only bit of Lucha Underground I've seen and I dug it but that's because I like the Stardom Threedom and don't really have an issue with intergender wrestling if it makes sense within the universe constructed by your promotion: others might not like it though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A good intergender match should be booked like any other match - body type vs body type. If you have a big power woman wrestler against a light speedy male wrestler I want to see a match of powerhouse vs the flash. I don't want to see oh man how could a woman ever beat a man?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I normally do not like intergender matches, but Lucha Underground handed it so well that I didn't think anything of it after a few shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spikegal posted:

A good intergender match should be booked like any other match - body type vs body type. If you have a big power woman wrestler against a light speedy male wrestler I want to see a match of powerhouse vs the flash. I don't want to see oh man how could a woman ever beat a man?!

this is basically every apartment wrestling video ever

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Thought this was the AEW thread and not the podcasts thread

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Spikegal posted:

I've posted this match before but on DDTs YouTube is one of my favourite trios matches from last year: the KO-D Trios Title match where All Out (Konosuke Takeshita, Yuki Iino and Akito) defended against Team Sendai Girls (Meiko Satomura, Chihiro Hashimoto and Dash Chisako):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXcIFyhrGQ

Its a really good match that I recommend everyone watch but the big thing for me is the way that Hashimoto wrestles in it: she's built like a house and so in Joshi she tends to be a power wrestler: although she was a legit good amateur wrestler (almost qualified for the Olympics) so you'll see that stuff as well. When she's in with Akito who's smaller she wrestles like she does in Joshi: you see impressive power moves, she can dominate because she's got the strength advantage. However when she's against Yuki Iino who is a big man (ex-Rugby forward and you can see it) she changes how she works because it'd be silly otherwise: there are isolated genuinely impressive feats of strength but she can't dominate him in the same way that she can other people who she has to wrestle differently; its very interesting.

DDT do intergender the best since the story is never that awful "how can this WOMAN fight a MAN?" or even the 'progressive' "hey look this woman can fight a man!!" story without actually any other fire to it; they just don't really consider gender when it comes to putting the matches together in any real way. The Sendai Girls vs All Out show they did (which was all intergender) is a perfect example of what they do: despite being based entirely around intergender matches the gender of the participants isn't important at all which is how things should be.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
WOL from the cruise is up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao sending two masters in case one of the planes goes down

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ForkedPgh/status/1219721607071047681

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea who any of those people are.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That sure is a concept for a podcast.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao sending two masters in case one of the planes goes down

Dave nonchalantly saying "in case one of them gets shot down by Iran" had me snorting

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Punch McLightning posted:

I have no idea who any of those people are.

The only one I recognize is Tom who did that series on youtube where he looked through old wrestling games and did like 5-15 minutes vids on them. Only posts like 1 a year now though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tom’s a promoter down the road from me. Nice guy, does a lot of stuff for his special needs kid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meltzer's story about DDP coming 2nd as Rookie of the Year in the Observer Awards in 1991 is amazing :allears:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
(talking about Liger's retirement)
Dave: when you watch this and see Tanahashi cry..
Bryan: well tell us about it
Dave:....Tanahashi cried

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dave's having so much fun on the boat it's coming across in the podcasts :3:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

and gave further proof to my feeling that HHH has run off way more viewers than he gets credit for

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I was talking to some other wrestling podcasters recently and they were talking about dropping WWE. It's just so much of a slog to watch that it's not even fun for them to cover on their shows and makes it feel like a chore.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MassRafTer posted:

That sure is a concept for a podcast.
Grit and Glitter usually focuses on queer representation and women's wrestling; Em I've known for a while when she was in the DSA. She's about to be a mom so wanted to make an episode discussing how wrestling fan parents treat the fandom with their kids.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

and gave further proof to my feeling that HHH has run off way more viewers than he gets credit for

When I went to Wrestle Kingdom a few years back I met a lot of other American wrestling fans and almost all of them were like me: hardcore fans who quit watching for years before getting back into graps thanks to NJPW and every one of those folks cited a HHH-related feud or angle as their breaking point.

(For me it was awarding HHH his own world title.)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pinche Rudo posted:

I was talking to some other wrestling podcasters recently and they were talking about dropping WWE. It's just so much of a slog to watch that it's not even fun for them to cover on their shows and makes it feel like a chore.

The bad stuff is only rarely entertaining bad like early 90's WCW and rarely fun to watch. Add in the fact the shows have been paced just to fill time and the volume of content and you have a product that is painful to watch (not to mention supporting blood money)!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Which ones, I could do with another wrestling podcast that doesn't talk about WWE the bad three-letter company

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I loving LOVE it when Bryan and Dave host when they’re in a room together

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

I loving LOVE it when Bryan and Dave host when they’re in a room together
Unabashedly, me too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those 3am post UFC shows were my favorites back in the day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Does WoR have Dynamite spoilers!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The first one doesn’t at least

E the second one does according to the description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I hope every time someone talks about a plane fight in the next year, Dave mentions Iranians