Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol. Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seriously I had enough time to go up to NYC and do something interesting if they had just not dangled anything in front of me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Unfortunately, your work will probably never even pretend to give a poo poo, but being far away from any military base and spitting at the very mention of the world's finest navy while you bank vet's bennies is really cool and good

I'm sorry for your loss and your divo sucks poo poo

I actually disagree with this. There are plenty of great organizations to work for in the civilian world.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

it’s a commander whose a prior enlisted corpsman over 20.

Problem identified.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Even in the most dysfunctional of situations I never had an employer civilian side that made the day to day norm you're getting hosed over and your superiors will often gloat about it like I saw in the Navy

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The exam was a load of poo poo. I'm pretty sure no one fleet wide has used Sked3.1 in 18 months, and also caught 3 questions that were as previously posted just grammatically wrong.

So in short, snowballs chance. And I'm okay with that. 260 days.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You only need to do better than about half of the people taking the exam. I was good at the exam, but lovely at making CPO. This was the first January in a decade that I didn't have to do my annual Navy ritual.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

You only need to do better than about half of the people taking the exam. I was good at the exam, but lovely at making CPO. This was the first January in a decade that I didn't have to do my annual Navy ritual.

Samesies. 3rd time up. First time with a decent and not a new to the command/newly promoted eval

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So CVN-81 will be named the Doris Miller:

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=111885

I love this idea, it beats hell out of naming them after politicians.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
EAOS was January 5th been waiting 5 years to say this: FTN and gently caress you if you're still in.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Virginia Slams posted:

EAOS was January 5th been waiting 5 years to say this: FTN and gently caress you if you're still in.

:feelsgood:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Doris Miller is my aunt’s maiden name. This is gonna be fun.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Remulak posted:

Doris Miller is my aunt’s maiden name. This is gonna be fun.

Hahhah your aunty is a big flat bottomed warship full of seamen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahhah your aunty is a big flat bottomed warship full of seamen.

Carriers are flat bottomed? Do they expect them to run aground?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Most big ships are pretty flat on the bottom.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

When the carriers are first put into dry dock it’s pretty amazing how many massive scraps are all over the bottom. I’m assuming it’s Chinese trawlers and subs but I suppose it could be the sea floor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's not unheard of for carriers to scrape the bottom going through the HRBT and CBBT on their way out of the Bay.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Carriers are also very much designed to have very high roll stability. So the hull shape and the design of their bilge keels as well as the list control systems are all part of trying to keep that poo poo stable. Plus when you have that much horsepower may as well just make a big boxy thing to pack more poo poo into than all sleek and sexy like a Spruance/Tico hull.

But in any case it really is so cool about the name. Gets annoying hearing some of the political bullshit that goes on with some ship names.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not unheard of for carriers to scrape the bottom going through the HRBT and CBBT on their way out of the Bay.

"We love marine life in the Navy. I specifically love the thumping sound that whales make when we run over them."

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"We love marine life in the Navy. I specifically love the thumping sound that whales make when we run over them."

This is great btw. Also reminded me of being in the boat during swim call and betting the coxswain a beer that he couldn’t hit the dolphins while explaining to the UI boat officer why we aren’t allowed to shoot those “arrogant giggly fuckers”.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

This is great btw. Also reminded me of being in the boat during swim call and betting the coxswain a beer that he couldn’t hit the dolphins while explaining to the UI boat officer why we aren’t allowed to shoot those “arrogant giggly fuckers”.

Dolphins are gross. Too drat smart, too drat rapey.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

LingcodKilla posted:

Dolphins are gross. Too drat smart, too drat rapey.

At the time I had definitely forgotten about the creepy horndog dolphins. And this was also before they discovered dolphins using pufferfish for narcotic effects.

I also realized that swim call was the same one where we had an overboard discharge valve for the CHT system fail on the side of the swimmers. Hilarious poo poo definitely ensued.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was at a animal theme park in CA when I saw two very male dolphins gently nibbling on each other’s dongs in a floating 69. Cracked me up while a mother with a child being hastily yanked away.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

I was at a animal theme park in CA when I saw two very male dolphins gently nibbling on each other’s dongs in a floating 69. Cracked me up while a mother with a child being hastily yanked away.

:yosnice:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

“It’s not gay if it’s under sea-eh”

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Nav Thread: gently nibbling on each other's dongs

Too much?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

piL posted:

Nav Thread: gently nibbling on each other's dongs

Too much?

How else are we gonna get more seamen

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dolphins have some toothy jaws and no lips. It didn’t looks safe.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe not to some landlubbing pollywog!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Virginia Slams posted:

Congratulations! Enjoy your life

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Virginia Slams posted:

A truly great day.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ew. Disgusting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m sad I’ll never be anything more than a pollywog.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sad I’ll never be anything more than a pollywog.

I can haze you for a day and a half next time I see you in Washington. We can sing sea shanties and everything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hekk posted:

I can haze you for a day and a half next time I see you in Washington. We can sing sea shanties and everything.

Sounds good but you gotta dress up as Triton.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

something something docking

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Give him the hiss of shame!!! HISSSS

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Question for the already out wizards - big Navy put a chrck in ky account today for an amount that seems like more,than I should get for my last 11 days of service, which end 26JAN. Do they bump up the date when you separate? Further, there's supposed to be a two week delay, ie we get paid for first two weeks of JAN on the first of FEB, no? Thanks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Question for the already out wizards - big Navy put a chrck in ky account today for an amount that seems like more,than I should get for my last 11 days of service, which end 26JAN. Do they bump up the date when you separate? Further, there's supposed to be a two week delay, ie we get paid for first two weeks of JAN on the first of FEB, no? Thanks.

Did you have leave time to cash out?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not. Talked to a couple people and they said their last check came on schedule. Just expecting my unit or navy to gently caress it up ya know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Was over 20 years ago but... pay stayed on the same schedule while I was on terminal.