Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

theshim posted:

comedy option: Medic/Bushi :getin:

(don't actually do this)

EO 5 job fiesta, all Medic/Bushi

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

waah posted:

EO 5 job fiesta, all Medic/Bushi

:bisonyes:
I'll have you know that only one of my 5 Medics was subbed Bushi :colbert:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It's been ages, but doesn't subclassing Bushi give you the autoattack to restore MP option?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
No. Gaining TP for normal attacks is the Bushi's Proficiency and subclasses don't get access to those.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Is it worth resting characters to distribute skill points when they hit level 20 in EO4, or just waiting until you unlock sublcassing? Does subclassing give 5 free skill points like it did in EO3?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

FelicityGS posted:

Is it worth resting characters to distribute skill points when they hit level 20 in EO4, or just waiting until you unlock sublcassing? Does subclassing give 5 free skill points like it did in EO3?

Maybe 22. You'd have to hit 20 again to start putting them into the Veteran skills again.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FelicityGS posted:

Subclassing still gives 5 SP, yes. However, I wouldn't really advise holding off on SP until you get subclassing, since that's mid-3rd Land and you'll probably hit 20 fairly early on into the 2nd Land. Just rest everyone up once you get subclassing in case there's subclass skills you must immediately have.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Maybe 22. You'd have to hit 20 again to start putting them into the Veteran skills again.

I am good at math.

Thank you both!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Depending on the run I would sometimes rest at 22/42, but it's not really necessary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never bother resting until endgame. Yeah you might not be optimal but until things get really hard it's not like it matters.

Especially not in EO4 which doesn't even have a hard mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Resting really isn't necessary in any EO game (and in the earlier ones, it's basically a last resort with the sheer costs and penalties associated with it!)

Basically, use it if you're dissatisfied with your skill build. Like, very dissatisfied and it's not something that can be fixed by waiting a few more levels. Or you get access to skills you really want immediately upon unlocking new skills and just can't wait.

EO4's difficulty is overall lower than the other EO games, so the chances of it actually being required are very low.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I have unlocked the Vessel class and I'm kind of curious how the circles work. If a circle lands a head bind, for instance, can I then dispel it for healing/damage and the bind stay, or does removing it make the bind go away? Binds against the hollow queen basically felt like they vanished as soon as I tried doing any other circles or dispelling, so I'm not 100% how they work.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Disables last a random amount of time. They could theoretically last indefinitely, or fall off near immediately. Black Mist will guarantee that any existing disables stays on for 1 more turn.

They are separate from the circles. The circles can be dispelled after their disable lands. All they try to do is auto cast a disable at the end of every turn.

Something important to keep in mind is that the initial cast of the circle has a higher infliction rate than the end of turn auto cast. So if you really want something to land ASAP, it's better to spam cast a circle instead of relying on the auto-cast.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, thank you! All that makes much more sense now.

I'm now past where I quit years ago after getting the game and I'm really digging it.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Nexus is too easy, so what're the weakest sane* parties you can make in it?

*no duplicates, not going out of your way to maximize redundancy or take subclasses that make no sense whatsoever

My guess is Shogun/Pugilist/Survivalist/Medic/Farmer

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I have yet to try a Nexus Survivalist but the rest of your party can be somewhat underwhelming in what they do - especially in a party that can't properly take advantage of their strengths.

You could swap either Shogun or Survivalist for a Protector as mitigating damage would technically not be redundant to healing damage. With this your damage would plummet even further.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Did you miss that the point of the party was to be really bad?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Oh no, I didn't - that's why I gave advice that would make the party even worse.
"they are underwhelming at what they do" reads as "you are doing it right" in this case.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, what you should do is make every member of that party sub farmer and give them guns for the Shogun's gun counter thing.

Then you will lament how kinda effective your party is.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

What's are some good subclass options for a Nightseeker and Sniper? Would it be worth swapping my sniper out for a runemaster since I love my link-knecht? Right now I have my linkknecht subclassing runemaster for access to the rune buffs, but that's an extra turn to set him up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

What's are some good subclass options for a Nightseeker and Sniper? Would it be worth swapping my sniper out for a runemaster since I love my link-knecht? Right now I have my linkknecht subclassing runemaster for access to the rune buffs, but that's an extra turn to set him up.
Both of them benefit greatly from subbing Arcanist if you want them to specialize in ailments or binds respectively. Nightseeker also works well with a Bushi sub for Even More Damage.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

You can also sub your Nightseeker as Imperial for what I believe is the highest possible burst damage in the game (3x damage vs ailments, on a Drive, with a modest chance of activating a second time).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to keep that Imperial idea in mind, but I haven't unlocked them yet. Bushi sub for more damage now sounds great though.

Thanks!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bushi is basically more consistent damage (Blood Surge is a very silly skill) while Imperial is more huge burst damage. Which is basically better if you can end battles faster. Otherwise Bushi would be the better sub to get more returns out of.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Just beat the boiling lizard, which was a nail biting fight and a half--I feel like I mostly won through luck (also venom throw is ridiculous good lord).

The first time I accidentally boxed myself in before destroying the scales and was like "surely it can't be that bad" and it one hit KOd half my party :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Venom Throw is absurd and Auto-Spread means it clears encounters up through the postgame in one go. Nightseekers were so good you guys :allears:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

theshim posted:

Venom Throw is absurd and Auto-Spread means it clears encounters up through the postgame in one go. Nightseekers were so good you guys :allears:

Don't forget that Nightseeker/Arcanist not only ups the success rate further, poisoning the enemy would restore TP exactly equal to Venom Throw's max level cost, making it cost actually nothing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Handgun Phonics posted:

Don't forget that Nightseeker/Arcanist not only ups the success rate further, poisoning the enemy would restore TP exactly equal to Venom Throw's max level cost, making it cost actually nothing.

I subbed my nightseeker into bushi because I like big numbers, but this is also tempting.

Why are there so many options and so few character slots.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Classes actually getting a say in what they can subclass is a big improvement over EO3's subclassing system, where every damage dealing class subs into Gladiator, a physical damage dealing class that comes with absurdly good damage boosting skills. Even the mage.

Especially the mage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Araxxor posted:

Classes actually getting a say in what they can subclass is a big improvement over EO3's subclassing system, where every damage dealing class subs into Gladiator, a physical damage dealing class that comes with absurdly good damage boosting skills. Even the mage.

Especially the mage.

To be fair to EO3 subclassing, this is more down to charge being an absolutely absurdly idiotically broken skill than other classes not having anything at all to offer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kanos posted:

To be fair to EO3 subclassing, this is more down to charge being an absolutely absurdly idiotically broken skill than other classes not having anything at all to offer.

Charge and Berserker Vow. :v: Can't forget about that 90% damage buff when most other buffs only go up to 45%. Goddamn Gladiator was so utterly broken.

Meanwhile Charge on subclasses in 4 only goes up to 2x and due to how 4's diminishing returns system affects everything, using it always results in a damage loss. (On the other hand... there's Blood Surge.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I only want one point in blood surge, right? That's what it seemed like to me so that's all I've done

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

I only want one point in blood surge, right? That's what it seemed like to me so that's all I've done

Yes. Outside of specific strategies (some that fall into extremely galaxy brain tier strategies that shouldn't be used unless you really know what you're doing), there's no reason to go beyond 1. The damage returns you get really don't make up for the sheer HP loss you get at the higher levels. Blood Surge actually being able to kill you unlike most other self-HP damage skills is basically the final nail in the coffin for leveling it up, since it forces you to look at your HP way more often.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Just got Logre as a guest and jesus, that's some big numbers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

Just got Logre as a guest and jesus, that's some big numbers.

Hi welcome to Imperials. :getin:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I really wanted to use Logre in my party cause I like him and also big numbers, so I rested and shifted around stuff for better support and oh lord.

:unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I got myself cornered on the fifth floor of the Southern Shrine, and only then did I realize that I had done something I had not done in a very long time... and forgotten an Ariadne Thread.

That was a terrifying trip back, I had to hack through multiple FOEs. Alice refreshing everyone's Force bars after their Breaks was very lucky and was likely how I was able to do it. :sweatdrop:

The Shellbeast wasn't terribly hard, only time anyone went down was to the instakill move. Petal Bridge time! (I do not like Petal Bridge in any incarnation.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Petal Bridge has good music though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I really want to flesh out my EO collection.

Right now I have EO4 and EO untold on my 3DS.

I have the cart for 3 as well at home.

It looks like I’m missing EO5, Untold 2 (which is a remake of 2), and EO Nexus.

Out of those which would be the best one if I wanted to start playing now? It looks like EO nexus is the last in the series for the 3DS is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Nexus is a celebration of the entire series that serves as a punctuation point to end of its run on the 3DS, but on its own merit I'd say it's in the... worse half of the series. It relies on dungeon/boss callbacks as the hook for you to keep moving along, but if you strip away the nostalgia honestly it's a rather repetitive game.

I'd recommend 5; it's a return to form in that it focuses on the core dungeon-crawling experience after 3 and 4's dabble in overworld exploration, but at the same time it really improves upon the original formula with its creative dungeon concepts and class mechanics, and I think it's just a tight package overall. I'd say it's the strongest game aesthetically as well.