Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

I wanna see a Mewtwo appearence in a cartoon or movie, where he goes up against a dark type, like Umbreon, who just releases everyone's pokemon at once and they dogpile him using the dark move "Beat Up". That's what that move canonically does, and I love that.

Honestly, the whole Dark typing gets more fun when you realize that in Japan it's 'Evil', and most of its attacks are actually just fighting dirty. Including moves like Beat Up, Bite, Crunch, Feint Attack, Thief, Taunt, and Sucker Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The true purpose of FF1's monk is to be your party's packmule for weapons and armor since each character could only carry 4 weapons and 4 pieces of armor each and that includes equipped stuff. Having a monk means that you shouldn't encounter Can't carry anymore messages when opening chests.

So yeah, FF1s inventory system is garbage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, the whole Dark typing gets more fun when you realize that in Japan it's 'Evil', and most of its attacks are actually just fighting dirty. Including moves like Beat Up, Bite, Crunch, Feint Attack, Thief, Taunt, and Sucker Punch.

THat's exactly what I was getting at. I like the idea that they beat Psychic simply because they can think one thing and do another.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's exactly what I was getting at. I like the idea that they beat Psychic simply because they can think one thing and do another.

Psychic types are just nerds who expect everyone to play by the rules.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

I listen to System Mastery, a podcast about old tabletop RPGs, and I think this is just a symptom you always see there manifesting into a JRPG.

loving nobody knows how to do Monks well, but they all have different ideas about how to do it badly. Sometimes they'll be really powerful because they overtune doing unarmed combat or something, but usually they just foist weird mandatory traits on you to keep pace, or try to give you some weird martial arts system that's either overcooked or undercooked and either way just worse than having a weapon. Basically, unless the game's built around going unarmed, it's a bad idea.

Early FF had at least sort of an idea in making it essentially 'the cheap option'; Monk is rarely the strongest job for a situation, but it keeps pace well enough, and the fact you never need to give it equipment means that you have more money to kit out your other party members (which, incidentally, is not an option that tabletop games generally have since they usually give people individual inventories, rewards and finances). Still, it's telling they eventually just gave Monks claw weapons and called it a day.

FFT did Monks pretty well, IMO. They couldn't use weapons but had their own formula for bare-handed attacks which kept pace with your weapon-users pretty well, their armor options were similar to other light-armor users, and their abilities gave them a nice mix of ranged attacks and support abilities that let them shore up any gaps you might have in your team pretty well. In fact, they're so self-contained that a party of Monks can steamroll through the game easier than almost any other class, without ever really feeling like they're overpowered

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Constantinople from AC Revelations is another one. Where Rome from the previous game had the city, its landmarks, and the surrounding countryside; Constantinople was one large district, few points of interest, and no horse. Nothing happens there of consequence and Ezio has no real stake in what goes on there.

AC III had two extremely baffling underground maps. You'd traverse the proto-sewers of Boston and New York for ages and the only reward was to unlock fast-travel points. You apparently navigate these sewers every time you fast-travel even though it would be much quicker to just physically walk there above ground. The frontier wasn't much better, as it was just the kingdom from the first game with more box-ticking.

As much as I love AC2 and friends it is insanely obvious that AC: Rev was a year of filler because they could. It was still at least fun to play which is more than can be said for 3

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Psychic types are just nerds who expect everyone to play by the rules.

I actually didn't know initially that Bug type was a superhero joke, so my reasoning for why they beat psychic was simply that they didn't have higher brain function due to being insects, so didn't have anything that a psychic could read.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The little thing dragging the real world down is that biting a ghost is not that effective.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually didn't know initially that Bug type was a superhero joke, so my reasoning for why they beat psychic was simply that they didn't have higher brain function due to being insects, so didn't have anything that a psychic could read.

That seems a lot more reasonable than my at-the-time assumption that psychic powers take a lot of concentration, and bugs are gross, thus granting malus to spellcasting.

Edit: My favorite gently caress up from Gen 1 is dragon type moves. What's dragon type strong against? Other dragons. What dragon type moves are there? Only one, Dragon Rage. What does Dragon Rage do? Deals exactly 40 damage regardless of weaknesses, resistance, or any other factors.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 22, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Hygiene posted:

The little thing dragging the real world down is that biting a ghost is not that effective.

You don't know that

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I used to think it was a “common fears” thing. Psychic was weak to Bug, Dark, and Ghost. That fell apart when I learned what Dark actually was.

Also I think your original reasoning about Bug types is correct, as I don’t know how superheroes relate to psychic and I couldn’t find anything about it online. I did find a few posts saying that’s why they beat dark, though.

Zinkraptor has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Jan 22, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

I used to think it was a “common fears” thing. Psychic was weak to Bug, Dark, and Ghost. That fell apart when I learned what Dark actually was.

Also I think your original reasoning about Bug types is correct, as I don’t know what you mean by “superhero joke” and I couldn’t find anything about it. I did find a few posts saying that’s why they beat dark, though.

A popular Japanese sentai hero, Kamen Rider, is apparently themed around insects. Bug Type beating dark is a reference to that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Psychic being weak to ghost and bug is meant to be a common fears thing though. Fear being the mind killer and all that. Then they were weak to dark because nerds are gonna be beat up by bullies while fighting spirit beats evil

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is Kamen Rider, by the by

There's also a cultural thing for kabutomushi/Japanese rhinoceros beetles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

Edit: My favorite gently caress up from Gen 1 is dragon type moves. What's dragon type strong against? Other dragons. What dragon type moves are there? Only one, Dragon Rage. What does Dragon Rage do? Deals exactly 40 damage regardless of weaknesses, resistance, or any other factors.

It’s up there with ghost being made to gently caress up psychic types... and then all three of the ghost types in the game are also poison type, so they’re weak to psychic.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

A popular Japanese sentai hero, Kamen Rider, is apparently themed around insects. Bug Type beating dark is a reference to that.

Yeah sorry, I edited my post to clarify I meant in regard to superheroes and psychic types. I could never forget Kamen Rider, my favorite hero show that I’ve never watched but seen around a lot.

Regarding types - Rock being absolutely terrible defensively due to its many common weaknesses always seemed very strange to me. It’s rock, it should be about being sturdy, right? Rock types have enough good attack moves that they’re still useful, so I guess you still get the “crushed by a boulder” thing.

I love ice spells, ice superpowers, ice monsters, etc., so the fact that Ice type is pretty bad in Pokémon has always saddened me. I’m surprised they never at least gave it another resistance.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ice is a good offensive type, but nearly every ice type Pokémon is slanted towards defensive stats.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s up there with ghost being made to gently caress up psychic types... and then all three of the ghost types in the game are also poison type, so they’re weak to psychic.

Or the one bug type move being Pin Missile.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

Ice is a good offensive type, but nearly every ice type Pokémon is slanted towards defensive stats.

Or the one bug type move being Pin Missile.

Thinking about it, I don’t think Ghost types had any moves that could even hit psychic types in gen 1.

The fact those games worked and were so popular is insane. Gen 1 was such a train wreck but gen 2 was awesome.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Thinking about it, I don’t think Ghost types had any moves that could even hit psychic types in gen 1.

The fact those games worked and were so popular is insane. Gen 1 was such a train wreck but gen 2 was awesome.

there was lick

literally just lick

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

There were 3... confuse ray (which didnt do damage) night shade (which did fixed damage equal to the users level) and lick (which was pretty bad).

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Keep in mind in gen 1 there wasn’t as much of an expectation that the types were going to be balanced. The idea of psychic just being good with more difficult to catch Pokémon and bug types being bad with low level easy to catch Pokémon likely felt less weird before the rest of the series happened. Ghost type, for example, was just a weird gimmick that applied to one evolutionary line.

Edit: Everything being part poison, on the other hand, I can’t imagine not feeling weird even back then. I started with gen III, though.

Zinkraptor has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jan 22, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

there was lick

literally just lick

also in gen 1 ghost type would always miss psychic instead of being super effective

giving things poison type I THINK was supposed to be a bit of a boost because it made you immune to poison status, but the weakness to psychic really ended up screwing over everything that had it, including basically all grass types

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Tunicate posted:

also in gen 1 ghost type would always miss psychic instead of being super effective

giving things poison type I THINK was supposed to be a bit of a boost because it made you immune to poison status, but the weakness to psychic really ended up screwing over everything that had it, including basically all grass types

iirc the Bulbasaur line was poison/grass, which was a strange choice even in the vacuum of the first gen

Something like 1/5 of the first pokemon gen was poison type or poison hybrid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The real thing dragging down Gen 1 was having to go all the way into the items menu to get the bike/fishing rod out.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

FFT did Monks pretty well, IMO. They couldn't use weapons but had their own formula for bare-handed attacks which kept pace with your weapon-users pretty well, their armor options were similar to other light-armor users, and their abilities gave them a nice mix of ranged attacks and support abilities that let them shore up any gaps you might have in your team pretty well. In fact, they're so self-contained that a party of Monks can steamroll through the game easier than almost any other class, without ever really feeling like they're overpowered

Boy was I disappointed with every D&D monk after playing FFT for years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This explains why my memory of what type beats what is so poo poo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The real thing dragging down Gen 1 was having to go all the way into the items menu to get the bike/fishing rod out.

One thing I miss from early gens is the Item PC. There's a lot of stuff I know I want to use, but don't need/want to scroll through it when looking for exp candy or a pokeball. Let me tuck it out of the way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bought Ring Fit Adventure on a whim, it seems pretty good except that it's making me all sweaty and tired. Why would the devs even add that?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bought Ring Fit Adventure on a whim, it seems pretty good except that it's making me all sweaty and tired. Why would the devs even add that?

There’s a memory leak that occurs after 6-8 weeks that mitigates or in rare cases removes that entirely, but moving up to a harder difficulty will bring it back. Lazy devs claim it’s working as intended and have no plans to patch it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RareAcumen posted:

This explains why my memory of what type beats what is so poo poo.

It took me until X and Y to realize that rock wasn't immune to electricity, because literally every rock type in Gen 1 was also part ground (except for the fossils, who you never fight), and by the time later games came around I had already "learned" not to use electricity on rocks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know they're more recent and so I'm a bit more excused, but I keep getting thrown off by Fairy types. Because every time I try to figure one out I misjudge their other typing, which either means that something I expect to do well is crap, or I land a super-effective hit but can't figure out which type it was against.

All I remember is that they're weak to Steel (but I never think to use Steel offensively anywhere else so I can't remember any other effects it has). I know that they have some kind of interactions with Dragon and Poison, but I can never remember in which direction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I know they're more recent and so I'm a bit more excused, but I keep getting thrown off by Fairy types. Because every time I try to figure one out I misjudge their other typing, which either means that something I expect to do well is crap, or I land a super-effective hit but can't figure out which type it was against.

All I remember is that they're weak to Steel (but I never think to use Steel offensively anywhere else so I can't remember any other effects it has). I know that they have some kind of interactions with Dragon and Poison, but I can never remember in which direction.

They’re weak to poison. I had to look it up in a guide when I was playing sword/shield because I know nothing about fairy types, they baffled me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fairies are weak to steel (cold iron) and poison (fern gully)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Wasn't poison supposed to be the original "this pokemon is eeeeevil" signifier if it wasn't also part plant, and why so many rocket grunts had poison pokemon?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

fairies are weak to steel (cold iron) and poison (fern gully)

Fairy type was transparently made to strengthen the offensively weak types (steel, poison) and weaken the overpowered (dragon, dragon, and dragon). So it's easy to remember: Fairy is strong against the OP types and weak to the lovely ones!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got Ring Fit for Christmas, but I still haven’t gotten far into it.

Most of the adventure is running segments broken up by turn-based JRPG-like random encounters where you do reps of stuff to drain monster hit points. If you kill a monster before a set is done, it just stops. I’ve had many times where a monster had one sliver of health left after doing a set and died immediately after one squat or something. Seems weird. Monsters are color coded to be vulnerable to certain muscle group exercises, so that encourages you to switch it up or focus, but also that means you finish faster?

I guess the point is that getting yourself active is more important than deciding how, and if you squash some monsters super fast, you can just play some more because it’s ultimately up to you and not the computer what you want to do and for how long you want to do it. But yeah, it’s still really weird killing a monster with a fraction of a set.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Dr Christmas posted:

I guess the point is that getting yourself active is more important than deciding how, and if you squash some monsters super fast, you can just play some more because it’s ultimately up to you and not the computer what you want to do and for how long you want to do it. But yeah, it’s still really weird killing a monster with a fraction of a set.
Yeah, I think it's mostly to make the game more "game-y" and less like just a workout, but it's a little annoying, mostly because it can enable you to skip exercices you don't like.

I'm also not a great fan of how the Random function basically becomes suicide very early in the game, and unlocking new exercices takes too long.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Jan 23, 2020

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think ring fit works best when you just need to do exercise, but also have a really good reason to not go outside (like say, winter).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CordlessPen posted:

Yeah, I think it's mostly to make the game more "game-y" and less like just a workout, but it's a little annoying, mostly because it can enable you to skip exercices you don't like.

I'm also not a great fan of how the Random function basically becomes suicide very early in the game, and unlocking new exercices takes too long.

I mean, there are lots of ways to skip exercises you don't like - don't set them, cheat at doing them, or just don't select them. Kinda like real life, really.

Later (assuming you're not at this point yet) you get a skill tree that offers you some extra stuff to unlock. Plus if you just want to just actually exercise you can do the muscle sets from the title screen (under minigames, I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Knights of the Old Republic 2 is full of lovely combat. The story is interesting enough, but having to stop every minute to grind through a slow battle is really killing it. I'm on Nar Shadda and it's basically a series of corridors filled with enemies. I've put the difficulty down to easy and it's still taking forever.