Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My 4yo wants to get into longer books for reading time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I've been reading The Hobbit to my 4yo for the last couple of months and he absolutely loves it and I love it and I love that we love it together.
I have no idea what I'll follow it with that will be as beloved as our dear little hobbit.

Either we'll jump into Harry Potter or give Narnia a go (that I've never read myself so have no idea how appropriate or fun is for him)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

This is the best post in the thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cosmin posted:

I've been reading The Hobbit to my 4yo for the last couple of months and he absolutely loves it and I love it and I love that we love it together.
I have no idea what I'll follow it with that will be as beloved as our dear little hobbit.

Either we'll jump into Harry Potter or give Narnia a go (that I've never read myself so have no idea how appropriate or fun is for him)

The Indian in the Cupboard is a really good one. Or The Tale of Despereaux.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm getting back into skiing. Just grabbed a pair of boots and a pair of goggles from SportChek today:

And I ordered these Elan 99cm snowblades as well. Against the advice of some friends who insisted I should be getting full-length skis with poles, I opted for the blades because I've always preferred going without poles (I had a bad experience last time I skied involving a pole getting stuck and pulling my shoulder out of its socket) and plus I have a bunch of camera gear now, that I want to use to shoot on the slopes.

Hopefully they get here before the weather turns again; I live right across from a park with a decent toboggan hill I can use to test them out and practice a bit.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Indian in the Cupboard is a really good one. Or The Tale of Despereaux.

And, when he’s a few years older, The Phantom Tollbooth. I read that book about every five years and it always makes me so happy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm getting back into skiing. Just grabbed a pair of boots and a pair of goggles from SportChek today:

And I ordered these Elan 99cm snowblades as well. Against the advice of some friends who insisted I should be getting full-length skis with poles, I opted for the blades because I've always preferred going without poles (I had a bad experience last time I skied involving a pole getting stuck and pulling my shoulder out of its socket) and plus I have a bunch of camera gear now, that I want to use to shoot on the slopes.

Hopefully they get here before the weather turns again; I live right across from a park with a decent toboggan hill I can use to test them out and practice a bit.
The look like a bad idea and also really fun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Every illustrated Hobbit looks lame compared to the one we had at home when I was a kid. (Illustrated by Tove Jansson.) I'd love to post here that I bought a copy but it's way too expensive nowadays.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Every illustrated Hobbit looks lame compared to the one we had at home when I was a kid. (Illustrated by Tove Jansson.) I'd love to post here that I bought a copy but it's way too expensive nowadays.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think Tove Jansson is one of the, like, five people these forums agree upon as universally wonderful.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

cosmin posted:

"The Neverending Story" is fantastic, whether you liked the movies or not. The book is both movies smooshed together only, you know, better.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What I assume is Tove Jennson's Gollum certainly looks different than mine.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Y'all are cowards for not recommending reading Lord of the Rings to a four year old.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite book when I was 6 was "Sam the Minuteman" which was about a father and son in Massachusetts joining the American Revolution and opening a can of whoopass on the British.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

I am upset with literally the entire world for not recommending this show to me sooner.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I am upset with literally the entire world for not recommending this show to me sooner.

This was my dads favorite show. Thanks for postimg this so I could have a happy reminder of my father who passed away

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Rolo posted:

And, when he’s a few years older, The Phantom Tollbooth. I read that book about every five years and it always makes me so happy.

You just reminded me that I hadn't bought the annotated version that's been on my BWB wishlist, so I went and fixed that. Apparently Norton Juster and Jules Pfeiffer were childhood friends.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That's way cooler than the copy my dad got me when he thought I'd be interested in The Hobbit.

I was not at all interested in whatever adventure this fat doofus was on.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

That's way cooler than the copy my dad got me when he thought I'd be interested in The Hobbit.

I had completely forgotten what my copy of The Hobbit looked like until you posted this. What a blast from the past!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had that same one as a kid too. That cover defintely made Gollum way loving scarier.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Let's be honest, this one is probably the most accurate.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Humerus posted:

Y'all are cowards for not recommending reading Lord of the Rings to a four year old.

Silmarillion or GTFO. :colbert:

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I have a soft spot for The Children of Húrin...

On topic: I recently bought a new sports watch. Garmin Fenix 6 Pro.

It has GPS / Galileo / Glonass, built-in maps and Spotify and heart rate monitor.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/641479/pn/010-02158-01

It looks pretty nice for a digital watch

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got a neti pot. Need to clean my nasal passages. Doing home improvement projects fucks up the air.

Got AC Odyssey Gold. The discovery tour mode appeals to my history geek side. The ability to create your own quests has me thinking of adolescent humor magic dildo quests, and ill probably play the free AC 3 remastered version it comes with, so I can kill some redcoats for George Washington.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'd enjoy watching Ricky Gervais go on an adventure.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
First JNCOs, now Zubaz? I think I'm having a midlife crisis.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

colas posted:

I'd enjoy watching Ricky Gervais go on an adventure.

I'd be very happy if he went there and didn't come back again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ChocNitty posted:

I got a neti pot. Need to clean my nasal passages. Doing home improvement projects fucks up the air.

Just make sure to buy distilled or otherwise sterile water for it (or boil and cool your own):
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20181210/brain-eating-amoeba-tied-to-tap-water-in-neti-pot

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

It's like you're preparing for a 90s apocalypse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

Extremely strong advice here.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mister Speaker posted:

wtf where did you get zubaz? I would 100% rock those to the gym.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mister Speaker posted:

I await your next post of neon green fanny pack.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MA-Horus posted:

As much as I hate shopping there, Amazon. They're cheap too, like $25CAD each for most of the pants. Also, that's the idea. It's chest day today, brother.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MA-Horus posted:

Zubaz.com!

...I can't say they don't have a point.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Bought some tickets to see Rammstein in Los Angeles. Got actual seats because I am old and hoping to convince fellow olds to come with me. If no one does I'll hopefully sell them for pit tickets and go get myself destroyed. :black101:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Backed a replacement shower head on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nebia/nebia-by-moen-our-most-advanced-and-accessible-shower?ref=9vingt

Can’t wait to have a water stream that’s above chest high, especially after experiencing an overhead shower at an air bnb recently. I should’ve gotten something like this years ago :shepspends:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

why throw $160 at kickstarter for something that definitely 100% won't be manufactured and shipped by may when you could go buy something similar at lowes for less money right now? kickstarter and nerds :psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Surprised that thing doesn't have an app and uses machine learning to know your temperature preferences.

Internet
of
Things

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

why throw $160 at kickstarter for something that definitely 100% won't be manufactured and shipped by may when you could go buy something similar at lowes for less money right now? kickstarter and nerds :psyduck:

I know don't shop shame - but that's literally made by a company with a $9 billion market cap. https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/fbhs - Why is this on "kickstarter" other than to gin up prepurchase capital and advertising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Why bother researching to see if a company has successfully completed a kickstarter before when you can rush to criticize someones purchase! Quick someone mentioned Kickstarter everyone tell them your super original opinions about Kickstarter.

edit. Heh didn't even realize Nebia was now a Moen thing.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 22, 2020