Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The thing that really sets the Jupiter games apart for me is the level of polish with the ui/presentation. It's easy to be lazy when you're making a generic puzzle game but they consistently knock it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What if Hollow Knight was an Animal Crossing-like instead

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

jackhunter64 posted:

This is a poo poo and boring circular argument, instead let's talk about how it's time to start thinking about island/town names for Animal Crossing WITH only FIFTY EIGHT DAYS to go. Sunny and pleasant Beavis awaits

Goon Island

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tom Nook's Zipline

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Dr. Moreau's Animal Crossing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

an owls casket posted:

Cherry-picking.

Hollow Knight rules, and I liked having to track down the cartographer. The tune he hums is super catchy-- it's been a couple years since I've played it, and I can still recall it pretty clearly, but more than that, finally tracking him down in each section felt like a relief, like when you'd unlock a shortcut to get around a tough section in Dark Souls.

On another note, I can't believe we still haven't heard much about Animal Crossing. It feels like we usually know more about big releases this close to when they're supposed to come out.

Tracking down the cartographer is not substantially different from map rooms in Metroid except you have to pay currency. So it's more similar to tingle in Majora's mask. I don't think anyone has a problem with that

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kirios posted:

What if Hollow Knight was an Animal Crossing-like instead

Animal Crossing but cute bugs would own bones

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

This is how I feel about Dragon Quest 11, I know the Switch version has way more poo poo but the PS4 version is so much prettier it's giving me pause.

Edit: actually I just looked again and the Switch one is not as much worse as I had in my head for some reason. Not sure where I got that idea but now I'm gonna buy the Switch one lol

It looks pretty rough handheld imo, but it's fine on TV

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollow Knight should be a secret boss in the new Shovel Knight

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Animal Crossing but cute bugs would own bones

You'd catch raccoons off trees

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Infection in Animal Crossing Hollow Knight is sometimes there's fungal decay on the trees and you need to maintain the tree once a day or it dies off in a week.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

HenryEx posted:

It looks pretty rough handheld imo, but it's fine on TV

Oh poo poo, I only have the Switch Lite.

I am wracked by indecision.

Also, Daisy is not in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and if she's not in New Horizons I will not buy the game and will karate chop my Switch in half. Goldie is a poor substitute and I won't stand for it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why are they making a Megaman Zero Collection and not a Megaman Battle Network Collection?!

This is a grave injustice!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RichterIX posted:

Counterpoint, I think it looks good in handheld mode and even though I have an OG Switch I have no desire to play games on the TV.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boy howdy I am just absolute poo poo at Resident Evil 4. It's been too long, and I miss gyro controls from the Steam controller, but I'm getting there :black101:

It's ironic that Mercenaries mode would be such an excellent training/git gud mode for practice and it's only available after you've gone through the campaign once already.

This time, I will unlock the hand cannon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Boy howdy I am just absolute poo poo at Resident Evil 4. It's been too long, and I miss gyro controls from the Steam controller, but I'm getting there :black101:

It's ironic that Mercenaries mode would be such an excellent training/git gud mode for practice and it's only available after you've gone through the campaign once already.

Hand Cannon is the old and busted. The laser multi targeting one is the new hotness.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now this is where the fun begins

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirios posted:

Why are they making a Megaman Zero Collection and not a Megaman Battle Network Collection?!

This is a grave injustice!

I want a Megaman Misc collection with Megaman X Command Mission, Rockman and Forte, Megaman Battle and Chase, Rockman The Power Battles, Rockman the Power Fighters, and Rockman Board

Then a handheld collection with Rockman World 1-5 and Xtreme 1 and 2

Then Legends 1 and 2 and Adventures of Tron Bonne

Then battle network collection

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Dont forget Megaman and Bass

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hand Cannon is the old and busted. The laser multi targeting one is the new hotness.

I've used the PRL and it's fine. The HC seems far more satisfying, though.

Edit: I kind of wish there was some sort of randomly generated story-like mode where you had your upgrades, could increase the difficulty, and just go nuts getting from point A to Point B. Sort of like an RE4 version of that after-game mode in Diablo 3. Adventure mode?

Ah well.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 22, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So Bravely Default is amazing. I'm super excited for the sequel and I've hardly even played the first! I've only just got the Knight Job making it a total of 4 jobs I now have, but I just love it. The look, the music!, the options, and just the potential. You can just see how awesome it's going to be, and the Brave/Default system is pretty loving brilliant in its simplicity.

It's crazy because I had a good time with DQVIII on my 3DS and thought that I could enjoy XI one day, but honestly it dragged near the end and I just wanted it to end. I may get at that point in Bravely Default, but frankly it's just the right amount of complex that I need. So I need to beat Bravely Second and the first before the new game comes out because already just a few hours in it's easily my favorite JRPG atm, if not in a long time.

Dude let's do it! I'm just at the castle after pushing myself through the Village part. I love that part cause it's actually pretty tense and scary cause your weak. Once you get the new rifle and a few levels into your Red9 it's just blasting fun. I'm keeping the OG shot gun this time, though I may get the last one instead.

I'm only on Normal mode for now though. I think I'll do a Hard mode later... Maybe I thought you could only start in Normal? No regrets anyway, I'm super rusty.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wait until you have to go through chapters 5-8 before declaring you like bravely default

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dude let's do it! I'm just at the castle after pushing myself through the Village part. I love that part cause it's actually pretty tense and scary cause your weak. Once you get the new rifle and a few levels into your Red9 it's just blasting fun. I'm keeping the OG shot gun this time, though I may get the last one instead.

I'm only on Normal mode for now though. I think I'll do a Hard mode later... Maybe I thought you could only start in Normal? No regrets anyway, I'm super rusty.

Yeah, professional mode is only available after you beat the game once. Also, if you finish Ada's "Separate Ways" (also only available once you beat the main game once), you can play Professional mode with Ashley in the suit of armour, making her effectively invincible.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, professional mode is only available after you beat the game once. Also, if you finish Ada's "Separate Ways" (also only available once you beat the main game once), you can play Professional mode with Ashley in the suit of armour, making her effectively invincible.

Well then we got a ways to go but we'll get there.

Brother Entropy posted:

wait until you have to go through chapters 5-8 before declaring you like bravely default

...ok.

But I really hope it lives up to the joy I'm feeling.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brother Entropy posted:

You can just mash the button and skip all that :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Well then we got a ways to go but we'll get there..

Heck :yeah: we do! :black101:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dr.acula posted:

Dont forget Megaman and Bass

I didn't! I just used the Japanese name because I would want the SNES version, only the GBA version was ever translated to that title. Also I want the weird Wonderswan version

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

You can just mash the button and skip all that :smug:

yeah, the power button on your 3ds

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

fuckwolf posted:

That’s my only real gripe about playing it so far: I want to just experience it for myself and not lean on guides, but drat sometimes that’s hard to do. Especially because nothing about the weapons/leveling/gameplay mechanics are really explained.

That's one of the paradoxes in Dark Souls. It was basically designed to be one of those things where you have some kind of community helping eachother out as they piece together all the scant fragments throughout the game. The Asylum is not just supposed to teach you how to play and controls and such, it's supposed to get you used to reading those little notes on the ground that through the rest of the game are left by other players. There are so many things that would be almost impossible to find without hints and help, from hidden bonfires to entire areas.

It's also a big part of the storytelling, or lack thereof. There's very little direct telling the player anything, you just have these bits of flavor to piece together into something bigger, either for you to have your own interpretation or track down other people's big lore explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlkEH0ovDhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0fNjx1PJc

One of those is a good starting guide, the other is my favorite Dark Souls video ever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

romanowski posted:

oh boy here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hxh2h3P70Q

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Well then we got a ways to go but we'll get there.

...ok.

I thought those chapters were baller - don't worry about it. Also if you like the music, you'll be pleased to hear that the composer (Revo) is back for the Switch sequel!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

I thought those chapters were baller - don't worry about it. Also if you like the music, you'll be pleased to hear that the composer (Revo) is back for the Switch sequel!
yeah, I loved that part (it's good) and I genuinely don't understand how anyone can hate it

just enjoy the game imo!

also I'm so happy Revo is back for the third game because his music owns and the Bravely soundtrack might be my favorite of all time :swoon:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

romanowski posted:

anyway the game is absolutely balanced around the idea that the map takes up a slot and you can be tempted to take it out to get an additional slot. if they didn’t want players to make that decision then the map wouldn’t be a badge and you’d have one fewer slot overall and nobody would be making this dumb complaint. thanks for reading

More games need to be like Nier Automata where basic quality-of-life features are just additional pieces of equipment that can be slotted in and out as you wish. I don't need no fuckin' map or health gauge when those slots can be used for another asskicking +6 upgrade.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Coxswain Balls posted:

More games need to be like Nier Automata where basic quality-of-life features are just additional pieces of equipment that can be slotted in and out as you wish. I don't need no fuckin' map or health gauge when those slots can be used for another asskicking +6 upgrade.

I liked how you could unplug your CPU and instantly die.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

...ok.

You will probably have opinions about it, but Bravely Default doesn't get bad. If you're having fun now, you'll still have fun.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

RichterIX posted:

I am wracked by indecision.

Also, Daisy is not in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and if she's not in New Horizons I will not buy the game and will karate chop my Switch in half. Goldie is a poor substitute and I won't stand for it.

I've played 50 hours of it on a Lite and it looks fine/good. Never really thought about the graphics at all to be honest. The art style works on the Switch hardware nicely.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
RE: Switcher

Bulgakov posted:

this...gives me hope

I'm so close to doing it

I got Witcher 3 on a whim during the sale, and am really enjoying it. I'm finding it hard to put down.
As mentioned before the graphics/framerate have taken a hit compared to PC (and maybe PS4/console?), but not enough to ruin my experience.

The bad:
There's a lot going on with all the systems in the game (alchemy, potions/bombs/crafting/etc.), and while not overly confusing, it's still quite a bit to learn.
The Witcher sense ability "works", but it sometimes feels a bit obtuse when scanning a larger area (like a battle field). Maybe the PC game is similar (it's been years since I've played). The poorer graphics definitely contribute to this though.
When running around, or galloping on my horse off the road, I often get blocked by some of the trees/other items in the game. This could be due to my failing boomer eyesight, but I think the framerate/draw in/graphics might be part of it as well. This might have happened to me in the PC game as well.

But I'm still loving it. The gameplay is still a blast. If you're on a budget, maybe wait for a sale again, and grab it then. Or grab a cheaper used copy of the physical.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Zack and sWIKI when?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kragger99 posted:

I got Witcher 3 on a whim during the sale, and am really enjoying it. I'm finding it hard to put down.
As mentioned before the graphics/framerate have taken a hit compared to PC (and maybe PS4/console?), but not enough to ruin my experience.

The bad:
There's a lot going on with all the systems in the game (alchemy, potions/bombs/crafting/etc.), and while not overly confusing, it's still quite a bit to learn.
The Witcher sense ability "works", but it sometimes feels a bit obtuse when scanning a larger area (like a battle field). Maybe the PC game is similar (it's been years since I've played). The poorer graphics definitely contribute to this though.
When running around, or galloping on my horse off the road, I often get blocked by some of the trees/other items in the game. This could be due to my failing boomer eyesight, but I think the framerate/draw in/graphics might be part of it as well. This might have happened to me in the PC game as well.

But I'm still loving it. The gameplay is still a blast. If you're on a budget, maybe wait for a sale again, and grab it then. Or grab a cheaper used copy of the physical.

the crafting seems kind of overwhelming at first, but it's actually not bad at all. You only have to craft potions/bombs once - after that they will auto replenish every time you meditate. For gear, it's usually only worthwhile to craft the green Witcher gear - everything else will get replaced so fast that it's not really worth the materials.

Even on PC/PS4 the Witcher sense is a little hazy, and you have to be fairly close to things for them to be highlighted, which seems annoying at first but I think is ultimately a good thing, since you still have to actively search for stuff instead of just flipping it on and seeing all your objectives at once. It just makes the searching easier.

Also don't be the kind of player that loots every single item to sell, you'll just fill up your inventory and have to make constant trips to vendors. Pick up crafting ingredients and food/drink since they don't use any space, and things like jewelry to sell. I only ever picked up orange gear, or maybe yellow if I had the inventory space.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 22, 2020

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kragger99 posted:

The bad:

There are some really confusing mechanics in terms of player build and the potions and junk. Personally, I'm playing on an easier difficulty so that I don't have to worry about doing it all in the best way in order to not get my poo poo kicked in constantly. I realize most of you crave higher difficulty settings and stuff, but it's just not for me. I want to experience the story and feel like a badass chopping up monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

There's an option to make little red magnifying glass icons appear on the minimap when your detective vision witcher sense is active. I found it occasionally very helpful when the red blurs are obscured or hard to see for whatever reason.