Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah I just nuked my Watch History after I remembered you can do that.

...and I'm already starting to get these stupid videos showing up again. Goddammit! :negative:

That’s just removes your history from your review. Google will never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dawgstar posted:

Sometimes they don't even have translators for the Japanese guests, right?

They just don't give a poo poo about anything.

They lost a high-profile hologram concert because they didn't feel like getting the projector that the concert holders requested, instead opting for an incompatible projector that they "thought was better."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Doesn’t anime matsuri only get as good guests as they do because they’re very close to the HQ of several localization companies in Texas, so American performers can literally just zip over for an easy check without having to travel?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Doesn’t anime matsuri only get as good guests as they do because they’re very close to the HQ of several localization companies in Texas, so American performers can literally just zip over for an easy check without having to travel?

I'm referring to Japanese guests, which they get by, as far as I can tell, lying really well.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah I just nuked my Watch History after I remembered you can do that.

...and I'm already starting to get these stupid videos showing up again. Goddammit! :negative:

Click on the three dots on the side of the video thumbnail and tell it you're "not interested."

Also, just a weird aside, do you think half of these chuds know FMA was written by a woman?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Most American voice actors seemed to have wised up. Last year it was a Thing because Steve Blum and Mary McGlynn were supposed to go but cancelled when they were made aware of it being a giant trash fire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anora posted:

Click on the three dots on the side of the video thumbnail and tell it you're "not interested."

Also, just a weird aside, do you think half of these chuds know FMA was written by a woman?

I have seen them argue "the manga sucked the original anime is where the good writing is."

Mysteriously the original anime has much more rape, killing of female characters, and no Olivier Armstrong

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I have seen them argue "the manga sucked the original anime is where the good writing is."

Mysteriously the original anime has much more rape, killing of female characters, and no Olivier Armstrong

Don't forget popping into our world, Germany, circa the Nuremberg beer hall rallies!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can't say that most of the best shonen is written by women, but I can say that everything popular enough for me to hear about that is written by a woman is generally in my favorites list.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Armstrong is the best character though!?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

dwarf74 posted:

Armstrong is the best character though!?

Olivier is his sister, who is not the best character, only the second best character.

Alex Armstrong is the best character.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, Olivier didn't even exist in the manga at the time the first anime started production, and first showed up the month before that anime ended. It did have Catherine Armstrong, though.

No real excuses for the off-screen rape, though, goddamn that sucked.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Senerio posted:

Olivier is his sister, who is not the best character, only the second best character.

Alex Armstrong is the best character.
OH! It has been so long since I watched past the first season or so. (And only the Brotherhood version, not the weird, more-grimdark original one.)

But yes, Alex Armstrong is without a doubt the best character.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The first series also had way too drat much filler early on. It took something like twenty episodes to get to the Lab 5 arc (the last major point before it became absolutely irreconcilable with the manga), while Brotherhood managed to do it in eight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To be fair, Brotherhood did kinda speed through what the original anime had covered with the expectation that people had seen it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Schubalts posted:

To be fair, Olivier didn't even exist in the manga at the time the first anime started production, and first showed up the month before that anime ended. It did have Catherine Armstrong, though.

No real excuses for the off-screen rape, though, goddamn that sucked.
Catherine was actually anime original and got added to the manga later because she was a good.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

To be fair, Brotherhood did kinda speed through what the original anime had covered with the expectation that people had seen it.

I've only ever seen Brotherhood. I watched it with my fiance who had seen the first series. He said that some of the stuff had more of an emotional impact because of the time spent on it in the original series. But I never would have noticed on my own. There was never a point when a storyline felt rushed, or where something that was meant to be impactful felt undermined by not having time to get to know a character. I'm sure some of the stuff that got more time was more impactful in the first series, but I don't feel like the series suffered for a new watcher by truncating some stuff.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Didn't the original writer also have a good amount of impact on the anime, anyway?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

To be honest, there are some elements of the first series that I preferred over Brotherhood and the manga. Namely, making the creation of homunculi tied into the sins of their creator, instead of Father just creating them to be his enforcers, giving Lust an actual character arc before she gets killed, and the emotional tension Ed and Al having to kill their mother again. I still do prefer the other versions in just about all other respects, though... in no small part because they don’t have a filler hell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AnoHito posted:

Didn't the original writer also have a good amount of impact on the anime, anyway?

Yes, she just separated from the anime to focus on the manga, since it was still only two years old at that point.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The only plot I recall noticing this for was the very first arc. Making the chimera father a two-parter really helped it land better imo.

Otherwise good gosh the manga was so much more fun and fleshed out. Felt way more satisfied by the way it concluded vs the weird rear end "actually this is happening parallel to WW2" threads.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really liked Brotherhood on a first watch, but when I rewatched it I sorta found myself disappointed with the small stuff they cut out. Like, FMA the manga had a lot of small comedic moments to help relieve the tension, but Brotherhood removed a lot of that to

It's still a great anime, and some anime-only additions (Armstrong thanking Hohenheim and commending his sons) make a big impact, and the intersplicing of scenes with ED fade ins is so goddamn hype at times (Al getting ready to face off against Kimblee is so good), but all in all, I'd still consider the original manga to be slightly superior.

As for the 1st anime, I don't have any strong opinions because I never finished it. Also because I was watching a pirated poorly translated DVD I bought off Pacific Mall, where every instance of Fullmetal Alchemist was replaced with SQUARE ENIX, among other travesties.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The first anime is worth a watch if you have it via netflix if only for the progressively more :psyduck: plot twists, but absolutely don’t spend money on it and agreed that manga > brotherhood overall

it’s also impressive how thoroughly the 2003 anime manages to remove all agency from or otherwise reduce to background characters literally every strong female character over the course of the series+movie, that particular aspect probably dovetails with the OG writer backing off to work on the manga in hindsight

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Plot elements in FMA 03 seem to be largely decided by asking "What would cause Ed to make this face?" and then doing that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoops accidentally kill Greed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's the little details that make me so annoyed at FMA 03. Like the time they took a preexisting serial killer character, decided he wasn't menacing enough, and then made him a cross-dresser! Wow. Mustang was a participant in an ethnic cleansing in all versions of the series but what actually made him angsty in 03 was the time he killed two white (or... Amestrian, anyway) people.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Whoops accidentally caused some war crimes in the starting town.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-01-22/voice-actor-vic-mignogna-maintains-innocence-in-live-stream/.155672

Shocking nobody, Vic is still a deluded scum bag

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean he's appealing the court case he ain't gonna do a stream saying "actually theyre right i am a piece of poo poo, legally"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Namtab posted:

I mean he's appealing the court case he ain't gonna do a stream saying "actually theyre right i am a piece of poo poo, legally"

If he wasn't a complete loving idiot he wouldn't be doing any stream whatsoever.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Namtab posted:

He will, however, admit under oath that he has no evidence of his claims.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maybe Schemmel did not like you being Christian, Vic, so much as he just thought you were really bad at it.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe Schemmel did not like you being Christian, Vic, so much as he just thought you were really bad at it.

THIS.

Also the 1989 story is even cringier than most of the other ones.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1222626306333999104?s=19

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I have deleted this post. It was unclear which side of this I was on due to my poor wording. I did not consider the ramifications of describing Vic's victims as accusers. I meant no malice and did not intend to slur his victims, but I understand why it came across that way. I believe Vic's victims. I am sorry.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 30, 2020

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Bob Socko posted:

I’ve somehow managed to get blocked on Twitter by the lawyers for the accusers. I’ve never tweeted about the case and think what Vic did was wrong. Have they built block lists based on who people follow, and I managed to follow the wrong person at some point? Seems like overkill, but then again, I imagine they’re getting harassed by thousands of people.

Vic's the accuser, not the defendant.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

taichara posted:

Vic's the accuser, not the defendant.
I have deleted this post. It was unclear which side of this I was on due to my poor wording. I did not consider the ramifications of describing Vic's victims as accusers. I meant no malice and did not intend to slur his victims, but I understand why it came across that way. I believe Vic's victims. I am sorry.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 30, 2020

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Then call them victims, not accusers.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Yes, they are victims. I believe that Vic did the things they said he did. I apologize for my poor choice of words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vic's little lament reminds me that people knew Vic was a crappy con guest since the first FMB was big. People talked about it on Livejournal.