Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonCat posted:

The reason for the :psyduck: is that people are acting like the living conditions in NYC somehow translate to the rest of the country.

No one is saying that.

People are saying that public policy should be used to spread those conditions to more places, not that they exist everywhere now.

Reading is FUNdamental :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol the vast majority of democrats would be fine with Biden. We are so utterly hosed

It is a bummer realizing that it is a team sport for the vast majority of people on either side.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

to be fair, our public transit system is pretty garbage. i'm in Massachusetts and basically have to plan on my train being 15 minutes late or more several times a week, breaking down entirely a few times a year, and it is only getting worse since our republican Gov. has basically starved our public transit system for funds while touting how he "balanced" their budget (turns out that wasn't true either).

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
drat I see all your points

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

it exists, right now, you can find it in America

In like... 2 or 3 cities you can find anything resembling decent public transport. We need it in ALL cities.

Edit: And high speed rail between them all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

kidkissinger posted:

what is with all the hardcore khive, puma, and biden fans all having a shitload of emojjis in their twitter names/posts?
1. They think they're "amplifying" and "signal boosting" and thus doing politics

2. Biden supporters are on good drugs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Abolish ICE

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

goons mystified by walking 15 minutes to buy groceries is pretty amazing. sometimes i take a bus to the next town over cause a big grocery store is there and has stuff my town's doesn't

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hellblazer187 posted:

In like... 2 or 3 cities you can find anything resembling decent public transport. We need it in ALL cities.

Yeah, it's not going to be easy. We're talking about an enormous investment in both public transit and housing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, it's not going to be easy. We're talking about an enormous investment in both public transit and housing.

and the only candidate that is even close to proposing something akin to this is....

BERNIE SANDERS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mellow Seas posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Fortunately one of the key lessons of 2016, courtesy of Trump’s success, is that getting bashed by establishment Dems and the media is unlikely to seriously hurt Bernie, and may in fact help him. So knock yourself out, loser.

A certain subsection of people will now vote for Bernie purely out of spite for Clinton. So yeah, she's possibly one of the greatest dumbasses to ever draw breath. Love that she inadvertantly caused increased traction for Bernie by gifting him a slogan straight out of a landslide grassroots campaign 68 years ago.

I like Bernie.

LMAO

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Hey, remember when Hillary decided to randomly call Gabbard a Russian asset?

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1219982544969576450

Gabbard is suing her for defamation over that.

Good Hillary is a piece of poo poo. A guy campaigns all over the loving country for your waste of a candidacy, and then you stab him in the back on his next run. Eat poo poo Hillary.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol the vast majority of democrats would be fine with Biden. We are so utterly hosed

He's not going to win the primary.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Thinking of going to Des Moines this weekend where I have an unexpected four day weekend to canvass for Bernie. Never canvassed but I’ve done some phone banking. Only wanna do it if it could help out. If I was there for three days, would I be more hassle than benefit, like voluntourists to Africa? If I could help, how would I know which city I could help out in?

If not there, then I’d stick to my own midwestern city. We go after Super Tuesday though so not sure how much impact Is have.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

not joseph stalin posted:

Thinking of going to Des Moines this weekend where I have an unexpected four day weekend to canvass for Bernie. Never canvassed but I’ve done some phone banking. Only wanna do it if it could help out. If I was there for three days, would I be more hassle than benefit, like voluntourists to Africa? If I could help, how would I know which city I could help out in?

If not there, then I’d stick to my own midwestern city. We go after Super Tuesday though so not sure how much impact Is have.

You can definitely help, and everything you need to know is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xRUs-SgTgeAoiP05DU14cHdmAnqD_xAzGjCwwQ1GQMk/edit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feldegast42 posted:

You mean to tell me that Democrats have low standards???

selec
Sep 6, 2003

not joseph stalin posted:

It’d definitely help. You are a fellow Midwesterner, you speak our language.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

You mean to tell me that Democrats have low standards???

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1219858415473872897?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yang knows his fanbase.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes that is what I am saying.

SimonCat and Craptacular! claimed that it is impossible to ever make owning a car unnecessary, apparently unaware that American cities exist where owning a car is not only unnecessary but an inferior expensive hassle.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah. Isn't that more or less what the Green New Deal would be all about? Put trillions of dollars into fixing up our infrastructure so it's more sustainable and also put people to work with good, better paying jobs.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God forbid we just have a nice talk about modes of transportation without VitalSigns kramering in to pretend that other posters have never heard of a walkable neighborhood and blather about his implied moral and intellectual superiority.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Iowa Update: wife went to Sanders caucus training last night, said about 75 ppl there. We’re going to have a wealth of informed and pumped up people at every precinct. Said the mantra in response to Warren/Biden complaints was “WHEN THEY GO LOW, WE GO KNOCK ON DOORS.”

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Automobiles own it’s the rich people that smog up our planet.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nonsense posted:

He's not going to win the primary.

That remains to be seen

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Yes that is what I am saying.

SimonCat and Craptacular! claimed that it is impossible to ever make owning a car unnecessary, apparently unaware that American cities exist where owning a car is not only unnecessary but an inferior expensive hassle.

If you've only ever lived in burbs or declining cities (basically any place besides NYC, DC, Boston(ish) and I dunno maybe San Fran) than I can imagine it's difficult to even envision what a life without a car is like. You mean I need to ride my bike 3 hours to get groceries?!

But you're right. Cities with low/no cars are possible and necessary. And it doesn't mean going to 1800s level standard of living.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

God forbid we just have a nice talk about modes of transportation without VitalSigns kramering in to pretend that other posters have never heard of a walkable neighborhood and blather about his moral and intellectual superiority.

That is exactly what they said though :confused:

SimonCat posted:

I suppose we can go back to living like it's the 1880s, but we're going to need a lot more horses.

Craptacular! posted:

Cars are going to exist so long as people have families and need to carry groceries.

Is reading really that hard dude

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lol gently caress off Yang, you suck.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

Plenty of other posters managed to explain methods without “Lmao”ing and insulting people. You had nothing to contribute to the conversation at that point but just couldn’t resist owning some perceived enemies. Sad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah. Isn't that more or less what the Green New Deal would be all about? Put trillions of dollars into fixing up our infrastructure so it's more sustainable and also put people to work with good, better paying jobs.

And its exactly why the Green New Deal must be massive and must include reshaping society. When people say that the Green New Deal is too big, or that some requisite goal like densification is too extreme or too difficult that tells me that they don't grasp the scale of climate change. Which is totally understandable. Climate change is too big and massive to understand.

But we are at the point where the most conservative scientific consensus is that we must transform society at a rate and scale with no parallel in human history. What will happen in the next 50 years will be unlike anything humanity has ever experienced. Each of us will live or die based on our ability to transform and adapt, and so will our society.

Bernie Sanders is the only candidate who has plans and focus to match the scale of the challenge.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Plenty of other posters managed to explain methods without “Lmao”ing and insulting people. You had nothing to contribute to the conversation at that point but just couldn’t resist owning some perceived enemies. Sad.

Lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

:ironicat:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

why's he such a weirdo. why's his whole fanbase a bunch of weirdos. I'll forgive it all when he drops out and endorses Bernie but c'mon

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

VitalSigns posted:

What you said was dumb, and lots of people corrected you on why it was dumb (people don't buy family-weeks of groceries at a time in the city, they go more often and spend a lot more time shopping because you can't carry that many groceries without a car)

And you seemed to have just... changed the topic so you can continue pretending you were right all along

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think I lost about ten bucks a week or so when I walked to the grocery store because I couldn't buy in the larger quantities required to trigger the sale prices so :shrug:

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
I think Dave Chappelle is one of the smartest comedians so I have no idea why he’s behind Yang

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uno Venova posted:

I think Dave Chappelle is one of the smartest comedians so I have no idea why he’s behind Yang

He seems to be the candidate of choice for celebs who are smarter than the average bear but not actually smart.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 22, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

What you said was dumb, and lots of people corrected you on why it was dumb (people don't buy family-weeks of groceries at a time in the city,

I never said they did.

I said they don't own a car and don't need one.

I'm starting to feel like it should be a thread rule that if you say "you said X" you should quote that person.

E: people who can't imagine life without a car said "but how could you transport 70 lbs of groceries on a train" because trekking out to the superstore from the suburbs in a car and buying groceries for a whole week to justify the drive is all they know.

Maybe that's why you think I said that.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So Steyer is trying to make nice with Bernie. What happens if he drops out of the race to endorse him and then try to campaign for him. Is this a bad look? If Steyer wanted to help Bernie in what way could he do so without making Bernie look like another billionaire bribed politician?

The only way it would work is if Steyer came out and campaigned on "I shouldn't be a billionaire, and won't be soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

One good thing about Biden, he has always had a massive hardon for high speed rail.