Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Terutsuyoshi! I thought he was boned when he got pushed back, he was looking off balance and everything. Atta boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

Terutsuyoshi! I thought he was boned when he got pushed back, he was looking off balance and everything. Atta boy!

that's my son!

and they better not rob tokushoryu

e: they didn't! 10-1!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh wow Tokushoryu with a great win!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also really happy for chiyomaru, he had a rough couple of days but it was good to see the huge cloud victorious

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anakha posted:

For those still new to sumo, you might wanna check out Furious Pete's video of his experiences in a heya. Okinoumi features in it, I believe.

also, thank you very much for posting this. watching a relatively strong looking guy try and push a sumo around really helped put in perspective how stupidly powerful these absolute weapons are

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ENHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Today's leaderboard is the same as yesterday's leaderboard

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 22, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

ENHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yeah. pretty much all i wanted to say on that subject. also, there was like 8 fights tonight that would make my top 10 of the entire basho. everyone was fighting like their life, rank, or the cup itself was on the line.

also, shodai's composure is that of a champion. the way he moved and fought tonight made me think that he has what it takes to go the whole drat way. man where has sumo been all my life.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Laughing at Tokushoryu's face after squeaking out that win.

Enhooooo. Asanoyama defended his mawashi well but Enho pulling the arm instead was awesome. He has so many tricks :allears:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A quiet chuckle that the tournament that Shodai finally shows up for is the first one after Kintamayama (who declared him 'the next ozeki' years ago) quit doing youtube coverage

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i assumed terunofuji would be at like J2 next basho if he runs the table. Apparently there's a chance he could get promoted all the way up to makuuchi?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Thauros posted:

i assumed terunofuji would be at like J2 next basho if he runs the table. Apparently there's a chance he could get promoted all the way up to makuuchi?
If he goes 15-0? For sure. Probably if he ends up 14-1 as well. Hell, maybe even 13-2, given how dire the rest of juryo’s doing this time around.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only rikishi to be promoted from J13 straight to Makuuchi is Endo in 2013 with a 14-1 yusho. It really depends on how poor the top of Juryo is this time out but also how poor the bottom of Makuuchi is when it comes to what's available in terms of promotion/relegation.

They really should find a way not to make him waste another tournament in Juryo if he gets 15-0 or 14-1 with the title.

E: delving deeper there's plenty of examples of a Juryo winner not being promoted with 13-2 but only one example where 14-1Y wasn't enough and that was in 1959.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 22, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I would find it hard to make a case to not promote at 14-1 but if it's a strong 13-2 there should be consideration given to him because of where he had been and all that. He very clearly belongs in the upper ranks. Then again, I could see him not being promoted because he took the time to heal properly.

I'm not an old Japanese man so what do I even know about promotion and the like.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh come on Hattorizakura! You were fighting Sawanofuji! You had this. You beat him before. He was 0-5 too!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ura is 6-0! :D

Also loving Enho right now, that was a great win!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

Ura is 6-0! :D

Also loving Enho right now, that was a great win!

Well his first time pulling out he came back at Sandanme and got a 6-1 followed by a 7-0, if he was suddenly doing poorly in Jonidan this time around there would probably be no reason to ever expect him to climb back up. I think the Makushita grinder is gonna catch him again in about 3 Basho, unfortunately.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tickets are now on sale for the 2020 US Sumo Open.
$100 for ringside seats, $70 for VIP floor seats, GA seating is $25 for upper and $40 for lower bleachers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

While waiting for the next day's matches, here's a blast from the past, featuring baby-faced Hakuho and Tochinoshin hoisted by his own petard.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Well his first time pulling out he came back at Sandanme and got a 6-1 followed by a 7-0, if he was suddenly doing poorly in Jonidan this time around there would probably be no reason to ever expect him to climb back up. I think the Makushita grinder is gonna catch him again in about 3 Basho, unfortunately.

I'm crossing my fingers he can make it back to Makuuchi.

anakha posted:

While waiting for the next day's matches, here's a blast from the past, featuring baby-faced Hakuho and Tochinoshin hoisted by his own petard.

^^ Great video.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Absolutely wonderful day of sumo yesterday. Every enho bout is such a gift

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

anakha posted:

Oh man, Aran is a name I haven't heard in ages. He was notorious for henka-ing so much the sumo association yelled at him for it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bentai posted:

Tickets are now on sale for the 2020 US Sumo Open.
$100 for ringside seats, $70 for VIP floor seats, GA seating is $25 for upper and $40 for lower bleachers.

Since finding this thread and starting to watch this tournament I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole (So maybe a third of the terms the announcers use make sense so far) but so far the US Sumo stuff I’ve seen has been pretty sad.

Am I missing something?

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 23, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've queued up the last batch of gang tags, I believe I got everybody who requested one. After this anybody who wants one will have to buy it for themselves, sorry!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Since finding this thread and starting to watch this tournament I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole (So maybe a third of the terms the announcers use make sense so far) but so far the US Sumo stuff I’ve seen has been pretty sad.

Am I missing something?

Yeah amateur Sumo is not in a great spot. The Heavyweight and Openweight divisions are basically dominated by Makushita dropouts. There might be something in watching the lower divisions full of people who at that size couldn't possibly succeed in Honbasho, and also Women, but it's not really the same thing.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm surprised to learn womens Sumo is a thing, given how strictly traditionalist it is in Japan and women not being allowed on the dohyo.

I guess it's not affiliated with the japanese Sumo Association at all?

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 23, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Some really high-intensity sumo over the last couple days! I've never really liked Shodai, but I've gotta said he's fighting with skill and determination this basho. Still hoping for a Takakeisho yusho though.

Day 11 standings

code:
Bentai		38
bessantj	30.5
fisting by many	32
Kenning		38
Marching Powder	27.5
Martytoof	34.5
Mekchu		28
ratmosphere	31.5
Rigel		29.5
Robviously	39.5
Scythe		29.5
sivad		28.5
Spokes		28
Thauros		29.5

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I want tochinoshin to do good and not hurt himself, you can do it big guy!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Brut posted:

Yeah amateur Sumo is not in a great spot. The Heavyweight and Openweight divisions are basically dominated by Makushita dropouts. There might be something in watching the lower divisions full of people who at that size couldn't possibly succeed in Honbasho, and also Women, but it's not really the same thing.

I've actually liked some of the lower division stuff I've seen on Twitch, if only for contrast to the speed/power/skill of the top levels. It's almost is an entirely different sport at that level.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I've actually liked some of the lower division stuff I've seen on Twitch, if only for contrast to the speed/power/skill of the top levels. It's almost is an entirely different sport at that level.

the contrast between even the top and bottom of makuuchi is absolutely insane. it is an absolutely brutal sport in terms of demands on skill and speed improvements

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's such a statement that Enho keeps up with guys who are skilled, powerful, and nearly twice his weight.

Edit: Watched some of the 2018 US Sumo Open, and I can't see the appeal. It just looks like bad catch wrestling with weird pants.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 23, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

the contrast between even the top and bottom of makuuchi is absolutely insane. it is an absolutely brutal sport in terms of demands on skill and speed improvements

Terunofuji being healthy enough to show Juryo what top level skill looks like has been doing a great job showing off the difference in skill. I don’t know if he’s going to be healthy enough to be a top makuuchi guy again, but he’s still showing he obviously doesn’t belong with juryo riffraff.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'd love to know how much weight he dropped. When he was ozeki, he was strong, but a bit slow, I felt. A lighter, quicker Teru would be awesome.

Assuming his body is back to something resembling healthy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Still hoping for a Takakeisho yusho though.

I am too, because a Yokozuna run would be cool to watch.

Looking ahead to the schedule, he might have the easiest road to the trophy. As the de facto top dog, his final days are reserved for the head to head matchups against the rest of the sanyaku, which in this case would be Asanoyama who’s seemingly hit a wall, a broken Takayasu who might already be on 8 losses and has nothing to fight for, and the also broken Goeido. Unless Goeido suddenly turns it around and turns Day 15 into a 7-7 fight for his rank, Taka has a good shot of running the table.

Meanwhile, there’s a lot more flexibility in scheduling the lower guys, so they can probably just have all the contenders go round robin and knock each other out until there’s a last man standing. Shodai should have the advantage as he has the lead and would be punching down in rank, but I think I’d rather face Taka’s zombie lineup than Shodai’s lineup of guys at the top of their game.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Watched some of the 2018 US Sumo Open, and I can't see the appeal. It just looks like bad catch wrestling with weird pants.
Yeah, it's super minor league, and has the quirk where the bout is started by the ref and not the combatants, but it's the closest thing I can get without flying to Japan. Might give it a shot.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yeah watching the lower divisions (Jonokuchi, Jonidan, Sandanme, Makushita) can be fun, but my post was talking about the lower weight classes of amateurs sumo, which is weird in it's own way and is mostly done as a hobby.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy gently caress:

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1220217350625976320

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/misato_59/status/1220271753068310529?s=21
“Hip sprain”, one week for recovery. He got lucky.

In other news, ENHOENHOENHO!!!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/misato_59/status/1220271753068310529?s=21
“Hip sprain”, one week for recovery. He got lucky.

Oh so he moved too fast trying to dodge them? interesting

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 23, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

It's such a statement that Enho keeps up with guys who are skilled, powerful, and nearly twice his weight.

I sent some of the vids to my buddy who was a runner up for highschool state champion wrestling in MD (at 17 he blew his ACL and MCL out in the finals, and also developed really bad sciatica as a result) and he loved this one snapdown Enho got on a big guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if you had asked me of the likelihood of Enho coming out of m5 with a winning record I would have been pretty embarrassed of my prediction right about now. It's not a cake walk by any stretch but he can absolutely do it and the way he's been able to hang at this level... drat.

Shodai looked in command under pressure. Again. I wouldn't be shocked for a Shodai yusho.