Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Black Ark lords have an ability that lets them reinforce in Lightnight Strike Battles. I autoresolved all 5 Chaos armies that showed up in one turn by having a normal lord on a boat attack each Chaos stack in turn, with two Black Arks reinforcing each time. My armies were at full strength after killing the 5th Chaos army.

Wait, where is this ability? I rush all of my arks to lightning strike (because the blue line bonus slaves is so good for your economy) but I never saw that it let you reinforce anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, where is this ability? I rush all of my arks to lightning strike (because the blue line bonus slaves is so good for your economy) but I never saw that it let you reinforce anywhere.
I'll have to check at home but Black Arks dont get lightning strike, they get the "can reinforce Lightning Strike Battles" instead, I think.

edit:

The skill between the two turbonerds "Wreathed in Mists".

edit2: From reddit "Apparently it will be impossible to "Lightning Strike" with a BA's. This is replaced with "Wreathed in Mists", possibly due to gameplay reasons."

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 22, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fat Samurai posted:

I have been playing a Teclis campaign for the last two days after not playing High Elves since forever. Taking the starting province and the one with octopusface was easy, but I had to skip the Vampire Coast due to vampiric corruption and the hellwar with Gor Rok and its neverending stacks of dinosaurs was a big mistake.

I'm going to load a previous game 20 turns or so in and pack my merry band into boats and go murder someone else, leaving the lizards alone. Any target suggestions?

When you mention vampiric corruption, do you mean mainly attrition issues? There's a rite that makes you immune to attrition for 10 turns (Invocation of Isha). Might be obvious but I figured I'd bring it up since you mentioned not playing HE in ages.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheFluff posted:

When you mention vampiric corruption, do you mean mainly attrition issues? There's a rite that makes you immune to attrition for 10 turns (Invocation of Isha). Might be obvious but I figured I'd bring it up since you mentioned not playing HE in ages.

They probably mean that Teclis' ME start is bathed in corruption and HE get no public order edict, their PO building is near-useless in early tiers, and their provinces get bonuses or penalties based on PO.

"Just farm rebels" works for some starts but as Teclis who takes multiple turns to move between his crappy jungle island capital and the literal next city over, it's not so simple unless you want to go for the "game 1 Bretonnia but with no bonuses for waiting it out, it's just very boring" strat

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheFluff posted:

Rebellions, mostly.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They probably mean that Teclis' ME start is bathed in corruption and HE get no public order edict, their PO building is near-useless in early tiers, and their provinces get bonuses or penalties based on PO.

"Just farm rebels" works for some starts but as Teclis who takes multiple turns to move between his crappy jungle island capital and the literal next city over, it's not so simple unless you want to go for the "game 1 Bretonnia but with no bonuses for waiting it out, it's just very boring" strat

Exactly this.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 22, 2020

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Teclis is a lot of fun if you use a climate mod and that one mod that lets you start anywhere. I've moved him to the badlands, to kislev, or the southlands. All a lot of fun. Literally anywhere but where he starts

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaza42 posted:

Teclis is a lot of fun if you use a climate mod and that one mod that lets you start anywhere. I've moved him to the badlands, to kislev, or the southlands. All a lot of fun. Literally anywhere but where he starts

Yeah he's literally my favourite dude lore and game wise, but his start is literally the worst start. On both maps.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
What doubly screws Teclis over is that elves get extra bonuses/maluses for high /low public order, which puts you in a negative growth spiral. Like normally farming rebellions at least gives you money /exp for the trouble of being boxed in your home province, but for Teclis it also means that province gets built up very slowly. The corruption takes a long time to get to a manageable level and that whole coast of Lustria is just a green hell for any non vampire or skaven faction.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have been playing a Teclis campaign for the last two days after not playing High Elves since forever. Taking the starting province and the one with octopusface was easy, but I had to skip the Vampire Coast due to vampiric corruption and the hellwar with Gor Rok and its neverending stacks of dinosaurs was a big mistake.

I'm going to load a previous game 20 turns or so in and pack my merry band into boats and go murder someone else, leaving the lizards alone. Any target suggestions?
If you are playing the Vortex campaign map, I saw an interesting "uproot" start where you recruit a stack full of spearmen and archers and abandon your starting islands, sailing to the elf islands south of the east continent. If you're playing ME... drat, I dunno, maybe work your way out and crash into the western parts of Ulthuan?

SSTDeathFlight
Jan 22, 2020
Has anybody found much use for siege equipment? Does it even factor into the the siege auto-resolve algorithm? I just ladder-rush settlements and use the following turns to recover my forces and the handful of times I invested time into siege towers, they just get shredded by settlement defenses.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SSTDeathFlight posted:

Has anybody found much use for siege equipment? Does it even factor into the the siege auto-resolve algorithm? I just ladder-rush settlements and use the following turns to recover my forces and the handful of times I invested time into siege towers, they just get shredded by settlement defenses.

I've never had them get destroyed myself, they're good for depositing completely fresh elite troops directly onto walls or basic troops while your other stuff does the climbing that leaves them exhausted. Some army comps/factions will want them I guess and others won't.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

SSTDeathFlight posted:

Siege towers are great if you have super elite guys who don't have shields so they die to arrows. They get them into the walls completely fresh and then they start murdering

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My issue with siege towers is that a lot of the time the AI has armies ping-ponging between cities and if I wait to build them I'll get reinforced on.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
1x ram if you forgot an artillery or monster and they won't let you start the fight. The ram is useless otherwise imo. 1x siege towers for any stack comp that doesn't involve artillery sniping a tower and then using all my ammo on the ramparts. Ladder rush is ok for t1/chaff melee but just two towers makes a big difference.

SSTDeathFlight
Jan 22, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

I've never had them get destroyed myself, they're good for depositing completely fresh elite troops directly onto walls or basic troops while your other stuff does the climbing that leaves them exhausted. Some army comps/factions will want them I guess and others won't.

Good point. It was specifically high-tier Skaven that were blowing up my siege towers with their loving laser cannons. I am going to give siege towers another try tonight with my Greenskins Goblin stack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

1x ram if you forgot an artillery or monster and they won't let you start the fight. The ram is useless otherwise imo. 1x siege towers for any stack comp that doesn't involve artillery sniping a tower and then using all my ammo on the ramparts. Ladder rush is ok for t1/chaff melee but just two towers makes a big difference.
This is why I am really hoping siege warfare gets a complete re-work for game 3. Its the same formula and really repetitive. And most notably, very boring.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Despite my previous anecdote, with orcs I always just use the destroy walls ability on the.... Goblin Big Boss I think? It's been a while. Once that's reached the level where it's breaking a few wall sections you can just run roughshod through their defences with all your weird stuff. Like with Skarsnik for example I remember that being the only way I could get anything done with his early stuff against the dwarves bigger settlements.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doomykins posted:

Immediately attacking makes a bigger difference.

1x ram if you can't siege attack, otherwise no equipment, all in, bumrush. Sniping out enemy towers feels good but if you just move aggressively you forget they exist. Towers are for cheesing AI attackers.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SSTDeathFlight posted:

Good point. It was specifically high-tier Skaven that were blowing up my siege towers with their loving laser cannons. I am going to give siege towers another try tonight with my Greenskins Goblin stack.

Skaven defense towers are not tuned properly, or at least not in line with any other faction. One Skaven tower can kill a siege tower before it can dock, sometimes two. I don’t know of any other faction that can do the one on one defense kill like that, but power creep I guess.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've been growing out of setting up ranged camps, the aggressive melee does feel great. I usually build towers if I'm doing a check for whether the AI is willing to sally out and fight on a field. If they aren't, hey, towers for my elite infantry.

It helps that a slow turtle approach cracks Vortex wide open.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like just having a literal wave of lizard/vermin/orc/demon/skellington/state troop wash over the walls with ladders. Yes, a lot will die, but they all get replenished in two turns once you take the place over and there's nothing like sitting back in your chair watching Temple guard dice up some idiot bow elfs or whatever.

SSTDeathFlight
Jan 22, 2020

jokes posted:

I like just having a literal wave of lizard/vermin/orc/demon/skellington/state troop wash over the walls with ladders. Yes, a lot will die, but they all get replenished in two turns once you take the place over and there's nothing like sitting back in your chair watching Temple guard dice up some idiot bow elfs or whatever.

That's always a fantastic feeling. The friend I play co-op with is a big min-maxer, so he gets annoyed whenever I dare to be more cinematic than efficient.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What's the recommended overhaul for campaign? CTT seems cool but it's mostly for battles no? Anything that can increase difficulty without the laziness of hugely inflating stats/stacks of AI like vanilla would be ideal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lucky's is great because it also adds in skill changes and unit caps.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mr. Crow posted:

What's the recommended overhaul for campaign? CTT seems cool but it's mostly for battles no? Anything that can increase difficulty without the laziness of hugely inflating stats/stacks of AI like vanilla would be ideal

sfo makes ai stacks much better but it plays fairly different than vanilla

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ladder rushing is not optimal. Scaling walls with ladders drains a lot of stamina and the unit attacks piecemeal which is much easier for the defenders to handle. A siege tower in contrast barfs out the whole unit at once which is particularly good with glass cannon melee units (witch elves, plague monks, flagellants, etc) since they can get into 1v1 fights quickly and not face much missile fire.

A walled minor settlements defense towers generally can't stop siege towers in time unless they get really lucky. It's only upgraded defense tower projectiles that present an issue for siege towers.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Just lol if you aren't sending an actual tide of vermin to crash over the enemy walls :hellyeah:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've been playing SFO and it feels pretty good. The balance is shifted towards making magic really strong but it also costs a lot more and miscasts are punishing, and elite units tend to wreck poo poo. Watching a unit of Everguard charge into the rear of enemy formations is incredibly satisfying.

Other than that, SFO mostly tweaks things here and there and it feels more like someone gently nudged vanilla into a different direction. Melee seems to be more useful and I think rush units come with shields more often?

RE: Siege towers, in SFO exhaustion really hurts and high tier cities have towers that actually hurt a LOT. I tend to use at least two with slower factions, especially dwarves.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Just lol if you aren't sending an actual tide of vermin to crash over the enemy walls :hellyeah:

Would have been dope if rats treated walls like Shogun 2 castles.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kaza42 posted:

Sounds cool - what is the mod name that lets you start anywhere?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Ladder rushing is not optimal. Scaling walls with ladders drains a lot of stamina and the unit attacks piecemeal which is much easier for the defenders to handle. A siege tower in contrast barfs out the whole unit at once which is particularly good with glass cannon melee units (witch elves, plague monks, flagellants, etc) since they can get into 1v1 fights quickly and not face much missile fire.

A walled minor settlements defense towers generally can't stop siege towers in time unless they get really lucky. It's only upgraded defense tower projectiles that present an issue for siege towers.

A lot of the funner things aren't optimal! Ladders leave you at 'very tired' from just scaling the walls, but seeing literally a wave of rats climbing over the entire wall looks really cool.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

It depends upon what the match up is. Like Saurus warriors versus anything not elite will do just fine charging up the ladders and if you are fighting Skaven you don't even try and just auto resolve it to safe yourself a lot of grief.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Sounds cool - what is the mod name that lets you start anywhere?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929748031

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Oh nice, all I was finding was randomize ones. Thanks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

jokes posted:

A lot of the funner things aren't optimal! Ladders leave you at 'very tired' from just scaling the walls, but seeing literally a wave of rats climbing over the entire wall looks really cool.

Oh for sure. I said not optimal because it's not necessarily 'bad', just not ideal in many situations. Exceptions definitely exist :

-massive waves of chaff flooding their defenses

-units with prefect vigor like Sartosan cutthroats

-matchups where defenders will definitely Sally out next turn and fight in the open which may not be ideal for your own army

-skaven doing that and proccing a goddamn ambush against you

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Does Lyonese give bonus to fighting the undead for her army? I thought it was a thing but I can't see anything in game that says that, just tiny physical resistance for peasants.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

by.a.teammate posted:

Does Lyonese give bonus to fighting the undead for her army? I thought it was a thing but I can't see anything in game that says that, just tiny physical resistance for peasants.

One of her upgrades gives flaming attacks to her army vs undead or tomb kings or both.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i do a lot of ladder attacks because i am extremely impatient and dont like wasting a lot of turns waiting for poo poo to build.

although with vampirates i mostly do build siege towers because they are horrible to attack as in a siege and siege towers give you a lot of autoresolve points it feels like.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
What I find really annoying when using ladders is it messes up the pathing if you then destroy the gate house. Throwing a bunch of chaff up ladders to distract the wall units while the elites and monsters break down the gates works great until you then order the elites through the gates and 75% of them decide to take the ladders instead. Or you try to move your ranged units through for some alley fighting and they decide to suicide into the hosed walltop fight instead.

Also be sure to use siege towers for the rest of your army after they dock on the walls, just right click on the tower with the unit selected in they'll also use it to instantly teleport to the top of the wall fatigue free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I used a doom rocket.

:gonk:

now if only I could get this ME campaign as skyre off the ground, both cities get fat garrisons with a full stack on top