Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Requiem there was a whole society there that got wiped out.

There's a great insert in VtR's Clanbook Nosferatu where some ancilla with bad luck gets told to deal with 'something up' on his turf. That ends up being a raging pre-Columbian nosferatu elder awakened by recent digging for a mall who doesn't appreciate their turf being taken over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I know about LA by Night and Blood on the Thames, but can anyone recommend a more humorous V5 actual play? I want to get the feel of the game, of course, but I feel a lot of WoD content is a bit too self serious.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The Penny Arcade one (Seattle by Night) is as you'd expect from Penny Arcade, goofy as gently caress (and STed by Jason Carl in a much less serious wise). I only got an episode and a half in though, so I couldn't tell how it goes on from there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, I hear the Assamites (Banu Haqim?) have joined the Camarilla, so what happened to the Ur-Shulgi blood cult? Or is the Banu Haqim diaspora to the Camarilla composed of those who didn't fancy worshipping their Antediluvian?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZearothK posted:

Hey, I hear the Assamites (Banu Haqim?) have joined the Camarilla, so what happened to the Ur-Shulgi blood cult? Or is the Banu Haqim diaspora to the Camarilla composed of those who didn't fancy worshipping their Antediluvian?

They are the followers of Al-Ashrad and Tegyrius. They refuseto follow Ur-Shulgi's hardcore interpretation of Haqim's laws and his command to abandon all mortal religions to follow what he percieves to be the true Path of Blood. Ur-Shulgi still remains in Alamut with his loyalists, mostly warrior caste.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

They are the followers of Al-Ashrad and Tegyrius. They refuseto follow Ur-Shulgi's hardcore interpretation of Haqim's laws and his command to abandon all mortal religions to follow what he percieves to be the true Path of Blood. Ur-Shulgi still remains in Alamut with his loyalists, mostly warrior caste.

I also like that Birmingham, Alabama was is sort of the Schismatic Assamites' entry point into the Camarilla in Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

The Penny Arcade one (Seattle by Night) is as you'd expect from Penny Arcade, goofy as gently caress (and STed by Jason Carl in a much less serious wise). I only got an episode and a half in though, so I couldn't tell how it goes on from there.

I ran out of stuff to listen to and finished the series - felt like the second half was much better than the first half. Definitely more goofy/funny than other vtm channels.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've got a lot of complaints about V5 but renaming the Assamites away from "the Assassins" and to "the children of Haqim" is a really excellent move and not what I'd have expected from the team that thought "darker and edgier, like my memories of the 90s!" constitutes a design strategy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

I've got a lot of complaints about V5 but renaming the Assamites away from "the Assassins" and to "the children of Haqim" is a really excellent move and not what I'd have expected from the team that thought "darker and edgier, like my memories of the 90s!" constitutes a design strategy.

Yeah, I do have to give it credit for that, although their write-up did feel like it fell back on 'all the Banu not following ur-Shugli are Muslim.' It's like they flexed the muscle for just long enough and then couldn't hold it anymore.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Banu Haquim? I barely know him!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pope Guilty posted:

(the voice of someone who always assumed Assamites meant "the people from Assam," conveniently forgetting that poo poo is in like India or whatever) yeah, totally. assamite has always meant "the assassins." this isn't new information to me at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Given one of the clans was literally Cappadocians it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to read Assamites as "from Assam".

Angry Lobster posted:

Cool, was wondering if the New Inquisition had murked Alamut and that was why the Banu Haqim were fleeing to the Camarilla. To be honest, I think I remember some noises around the Revised era about some Assamites joining the Cammies because of Ur-Shulgi's ascension.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Banu Haqim was their name in the (excellent) Veil of Night and the Schismatics are from the latter Revised metaplot.

In the card game it was even possible to have a full Assamite Camarilla deck, including a Justicar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Cool, was wondering if the New Inquisition had murked Alamut and that was why the Banu Haqim were fleeing to the Camarilla. To be honest, I think I remember some noises around the Revised era about some Assamites joining the Cammies because of Ur-Shulgi's ascension.

Yeah, and they were in a good position when they did so. The Camarilla had just lost a lot of muscle when most of the Gangrel checked out so Haqim's kids coming in was worth considering for the Ivory Tower. The Tremere lost their minds but nobody really cared because Tremere.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Blessed to see Chicago is out

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did V5 stick with the antitribu going "welp, gently caress you folks" and mass-defecting back to Alamut (and thereby basically eviscerating the Black Hand)? I don't remember if that happened during Revised or in the Gehenna book.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

My V5 group just finished a chronicle, and I decided it's the perfect time to retire my character. I figured what better way than to convert him into a loresheet. The group all loves it but I'd love some outside feedback from strangers who aren't afraid to be critical

1. Does the sheet seem balanced? I cribbed some of it from the V5 book for general ideas, and with the background dots you can just kinda balance out based on XP cost. The 5 dot feels balanced to me but it could end up being really OP/UP if I actually crunched the numbers.

2. Does the fluff do a decent job describing a character? I wrote it with the intention that it could be used by somebody who hasn't been playing with us weekly over the better part of a year. I tried to sneak in some stuff to flesh out his personality without getting in the way of the actual loresheet. The only V5 lore-breaking part is that, in our story, the Voermans were run out of LA after being caught with some Camarilla elders (we later discovered they were trying to prevent a war).

I also stole the V5 style because I'm that kind of person. Also there's a lot of commas and big long compound sentences because I'm a terrible writer.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

As a Lesbian in tabletop I was genuinely worried about getting into a V5 game at first especially how an LGBTQIA+ character might be received, but I have to say your tips with regards to how to effectively play a Vampire and how they don’t necessarily have to be monstrous really worked wonders for me. I might do something like this in the future for my own characters. V5 really ended up being my favorite system in the end!

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

GNU Order posted:

My V5 group just finished a chronicle, and I decided it's the perfect time to retire my character. I figured what better way than to convert him into a loresheet. The group all loves it but I'd love some outside feedback from strangers who aren't afraid to be critical

1. Does the sheet seem balanced? I cribbed some of it from the V5 book for general ideas, and with the background dots you can just kinda balance out based on XP cost. The 5 dot feels balanced to me but it could end up being really OP/UP if I actually crunched the numbers.

2. Does the fluff do a decent job describing a character? I wrote it with the intention that it could be used by somebody who hasn't been playing with us weekly over the better part of a year. I tried to sneak in some stuff to flesh out his personality without getting in the way of the actual loresheet. The only V5 lore-breaking part is that, in our story, the Voermans were run out of LA after being caught with some Camarilla elders (we later discovered they were trying to prevent a war).

I also stole the V5 style because I'm that kind of person. Also there's a lot of commas and big long compound sentences because I'm a terrible writer.

Holy crap this owns. V5 is so good and I'm glad theres people out there who actually play the game

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I wanted to make DIO as a vtm character, how would that work? His powers and abilities are a weird mishmash of Ventrue/Toreador/Tzmisce/(True) Brujah, so that is certainly a character sheet.

The world has never seen such a creature

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I wanted to make DIO as a vtm character, how would that work? His powers and abilities are a weird mishmash of Ventrue/Toreador/Tzmisce/(True) Brujah, so that is certainly a character sheet.

The world has never seen such a creature

If you include his origin story DIO is basically second- or third-generation, so he would probably just be his own bloodline.

He's also not just a vampire, the Arrow is definitely more of a Mage thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you include his origin story DIO is basically second- or third-generation, so he would probably just be his own bloodline.

The Arrow could just be the Knife of Ixion, which IIRC is the weapon Caine used to kill Abel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Arrow could just be the Knife of Ixion, which IIRC is the weapon Caine used to kill Abel.

i'm not that deep in oWoD unfortunately, that's a great catch

Anyways, as a followup: if you were going to stick to existing rules and clans, then he's Tzimisce. Kars and the Pillar Men are absolutely, 100% fleshcrafters, and Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, flesh buds, and parasitizing Jonathan's body are the most explicitly vampiric powers that DIO manifests.

He's not Toreador, The World is something much weirder than Celerity and there's a pretty plausible fan theory that it's really Jonathan's stand anyways.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Toreador is solely due to how pretty DIO is :v:

Hes fabulous

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 25, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Toreador is solely due to how pretty DIO is :v:

Hes fabulous

DIO's pretty, but Toreador pretty is about conforming to normal beauty standards. Tzimisce pretty is about iterating on your own personal aesthetic so many times that nobody else can even comprehend it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Wish me luck, the climactic session of my three-year-plus Mage: The Awakening chronicle is tomorrow.

The cabal is deep below the city (which is currently 'Yharnam in Wisconsin, and it's a Blood Moon') about to face the Tremere cabal that they've been pursuing for the entire chronicle. Their most crucial enemy will be a Tremere Lich who was already a lich hundreds of years before the Tremere were founded, and who has orchestrated the Tremere infiltration of the local Diamond over the course of centuries. He and his secret cabal are attempting to raise and bind the Bound blood goddess(es) beneath the city, as they believe her/them to be the Sixth Watchtower, and these ruins the prison where the first Tremere were created.

I'm incredibly, intensely excited to show off everything this ageless bastard can do with his Attainments. And I'm equally excited for my players to finally get to put him down like the monster he is.

...speaking of Jojo's, I only really learned anything about that series recently, but one of the Tremere is kind of Kira, but visually looks like his dad. I swear I didn't intend it. Players don't look (and please don't look up Kira from Jojo's until afterwards): This particular lich is going to use a time loop to bounce immediately on getting shot during the confrontation, and one of the epilogues will be about hunting him down despite his attainment letting him swap in people whose soul he's stolen for him when his death arrives, editing time in a way the Time Arcanum doesn't normally allow. It's not quite Morioh but it should be a fun little cleanup story after the big events. He's a huge coward who just wants to live a peaceful life eating souls and never die.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
DIO? He's insanely Tzimisce, it's not even close, he puts human heads on dogs and cat heads on owls. Why? He's a giant loving weirdo. Stands don't really slot into the oWoD perfectly, closest is like giving someone a familiar spirit of some sort. So DIO would be a Tzimisce with a spirit ally that has time powers.

e: The real challenge would be stating up Joshua bin Joseph, one of the more interesting power sets from a JoJo.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 25, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How would you stat up DIO in Requiem?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How would you stat up DIO in Requiem?

Demon. Stands are perfectly represented by the Terrible Avatar exploit which lets you tear off your demon form and use it like a pokemon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, WoD would cover the first two seasons of Jojo pretty well, and then stop working, although I guess maybe unique Stand powers could be done with Keys and Compels and Embeds or those other drat things demons get.

The main difference is that there's a completely different attitude to the urban-fantasy aesthetic.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I mean, the real answer to "how would you stat up DIO in Vampire?" is "DIO is a character who lives in a genre that this granular rule set that cares about tracking incremental Discipline powers and discerns between bashing and lethal damage is not designed to support." You can make a vampire who can move things with his spiritual energies (Movement of the Mind), stop time (Temporis, importing nDemon's Stop power), and shoot blood lasers out of his eyes (this power is in CofD's Mirrors: Infinite Macabre!). But when you take him into action he won't be able to perform the things DIO does, even though if you care about the XP budget what's on his sheet will be absurdly expensive.

Go get Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. DIO wants a system that gives him some broadly defined powers and just lets him freely bullshit how to use them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wouldn't Geist work decently for stands?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In nWoD terms Stands are the Daimon, the goetia from your Oneiros that most defines your higher self. That's why they are so varied in powers, people have different drives and mindsets, so their Stands express differently. It's also why being forced to express a Stand can kill some people, they simply aren't damaged enough or aggressive enough to have an inner self that can force itself to manifest. If you try to make them anyway they'll just bleed out life energy until they die.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

In nWoD terms Stands are the Daimon, the goetia from your Oneiros that most defines your higher self. That's why they are so varied in powers, people have different drives and mindsets, so their Stands express differently. It's also why being forced to express a Stand can kill some people, they simply aren't damaged enough or aggressive enough to have an inner self that can force itself to manifest. If you try to make them anyway they'll just bleed out life energy until they die.
Unless you heal them, at which point they get the condition [Egg] until they resolve it by becoming a hoodlum.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I once had a plan for a Werewolf the Wild West game where the Broken Ones (animals and people fused with spirits thanks to the Storm Eater) would be heavily inspired by Jojo Stands.

Werewolf: Steel Ball Run.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

For the first few posts I thought this was about Ronnie James Dio and was super confused.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ZearothK posted:

For the first few posts I thought this was about Ronnie James Dio and was super confused.

Same, and now I want a similar conversation about statting up :regd10:.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Rank 7 spirit? Hard to stat up gods.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Vavrek posted:

And what about the other inspiration for Dio's name, Marlon Brando?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, The World is a completely separate issue from him being a vampire.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's not Toreador, The World is something much weirder than Celerity and there's a pretty plausible fan theory that it's really Jonathan's stand anyways.
Actually, Part seven has some (very spoily) evdience to the contrary: Non-vampire alternate universe Dio shows up in part 7 and he still has The World as his Stand, Jonathan probably would've had something like Hermit Purple that served to help with his non-Stand powers.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 25, 2020