Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If you want to avoid supporting right wingers, I have bad news about the entire ownership class of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism (and deez nutz)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism (and deez nutz)

Yeah, and there’s also a difference between A lovely Kabushikigaisha and what APA did/does, which is put ahistorical bullshit in its hotel rooms.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I guess you could shop at Uniqlo, which was founded by a member of the Burakumin, a minority group in Japan that has faced and still faces loads of discrimination because their ancestors 1000 or so years ago were tanners, or butchers or some other job that makes you stinky.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

But I love Chick-fil-A

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
APA isn't like it's the cheapest option around anyway, they used to be but not anymore for some reason. There are better options out there like the Toyoko Inns as mentioned before.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I would never stay in Shinagawa but maybe that’s just me.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
meanwhile i love shinagawa -

It's on the yamanote, has really cheap business hotels, and quick access to haneda airport.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
loving hate Shinagawa because the only time I go there is to see la migra.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

meanwhile i love shinagawa -

It's on the yamanote, has really cheap business hotels, and quick access to haneda airport.

Yamanote, bullet trains, express to Narita, direct to Haneda, but the main lines for day-trips as well — want to go to Nikko? Can get there. Want to go to Kamakura? Also possible from the one station.

It’s not a shopping mecca but it’s useful, and if you just want a decent priced hotel to lie your head, it’ll be fine.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Being half a block away from a shooting in Seattle has got me desiring a trip to anyway where else and I've been meaning to get back to Japan. Any parts of Japan get sunny and decently warm at the end of February (other than Okinawa)?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

captkirk posted:

Being half a block away from a shooting in Seattle has got me desiring a trip to anyway where else and I've been meaning to get back to Japan. Any parts of Japan get sunny and decently warm at the end of February (other than Okinawa)?

lol no

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

captkirk posted:

Depends on what you mean by warm, but outside of Okinawa not really. Even further south it will be probably around ~10c (~50f).

If you want some similar Asia stuff (diff culture, various food and sights, etc.) at warm temperatures you could also try Taiwan (also generally cheaper than Japan) or Singapore (generally *slightly* more expensive than Japan) if you're not dead-set on very specifically Japan/Japanese stuff.

Edit: Hong Kong would usually also be on the list but might want to avoid due to the issues. China sucks balls so don't go. Korea will be cold as gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Malaysia is cheap, chill, and has great food everywhere. And hot as gently caress in February.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I should clarify, really I just mean "sees enough sun that a human can actually synthesize vitamin D and warmer the 40's". Seattle sets a relatively low bar for good weather.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Winter tends to be sunny in East Asia, I assume because there's the whole monsoon cycle and the rainy part of the year is summer. Kyushu isn't going to be tropical or anything but it's likely to be pleasant walking around in a jacket weather.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This winter has been quite warm actually (in Shikoku). And it's always sunny here...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

captkirk posted:

I should clarify, really I just mean "sees enough sun that a human can actually synthesize vitamin D and warmer the 40's". Seattle sets a relatively low bar for good weather.

In that case yeah basically all the major cities will +40F more or less all the time. Which is also why I noted your standards; originally being from Maine Japanese winters outside of the north are generally t-shirt weather most of the time for me, but people's personal definitions of "cold" varies massively.

Now I live in Taiwan and some people complain about they can't stand cold once it hits about 15c/60F

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

In that case yeah basically all the major cities will +40F more or less all the time. Which is also why I noted your standards; originally being from Maine Japanese winters outside of the north are generally t-shirt weather most of the time for me, but people's personal definitions of "cold" varies massively.

Now I live in Taiwan and some people complain about they can't stand cold once it hits about 15c/60F

I'm originally from the US Midwest so honestly even Seattle's winters are practically tropical.

I've been to Sapporo, Hiroshima, and Tokyo previously. So maybe something in Shikoku would be cool. Anything particularly cool in Shikoku at the end of Feb/start of March?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captkirk posted:

I'm originally from the US Midwest so honestly even Seattle's winters are practically tropical.

I've been to Sapporo, Hiroshima, and Tokyo previously. So maybe something in Shikoku would be cool. Anything particularly cool in Shikoku at the end of Feb/start of March?

teamLab is doing a thing at Ritsurin Park until March: https://www.teamlab.art/e/ritsuringarden/

Also, I don't know if I would call it particularly cool, but that is my children's absolute favorite time of year because it's the Doll Festival and there are lots of events related to that, so if you are traveling with kids, or if you want to see some old, mildly creepy dolls, it is a great time to visit.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol people in Hawaii complain when it gets to the low 70s

Soft, with a capital S

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
also does anyone here know what my avatar means

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
it's brian blessed but idg the reference

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
oh interesting, thx

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

lol people in Hawaii complain when it gets to the low 70s

Soft, with a capital S

It’s almost as if the human body can adapt to its environment or something.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Disagree. I'm from California and still don't understand seasons.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
how do i get that tag

oh its a diy tag

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

you can also add gang tags when you buy a new avatar

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God, I can't stop thinking about planning my trip. I'm ever-so-tempted to just pull the trigger and do it this year instead of 2021, but I'd be taking on a whole bunch more debt that I can't really afford now, but will be able to budget for next year.

For the Tokyo-Kyoto area, what's everyone's opinions on the best time to go? I had my heart set on Spring (maybe the first half of April) for the mild weather and cherry blossoms, but now I'm worried about the crowds being too crazy. But maybe it's worth dealing with for the experience? I'm not sure.

Summer is too hot/humid, Winter is too cold. So the other possibility is Fall, from Sept to Oct. But from what I can tell, unless we go in early Dec, we'll miss the Autumn colors, but it will be getting cold by then. But maybe worth the trade off? I don't want to be freezing my butt off the whole time, I'm a California boy.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just go in whatever time of year is most convenient to us (probably Sept/Oct). But if anyone here has feedback on when you feel is the best time to go, let me know.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 23, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I’m not sure what crowds you are expecting in spring. Sure, popular cherry blossom viewing spots will have a lot of people (especially Chinese and Koreans in kimonos) but you can literally go to nearly any public park, road, or river to see the blossoms. They are everywhere.

Last year we went end of March, beginning of April and despite being a little cold for the time, was awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Winter in Tokyo and Kyoto is really not cold at all most years. 40s F and sunny is what you'd expect. But if you can go any time, April/October/December are all good. Avoid summer.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

I’m not sure what crowds you are expecting in spring. Sure, popular cherry blossom viewing spots will have a lot of people (especially Chinese and Koreans in kimonos) but you can literally go to nearly any public park, road, or river to see the blossoms. They are everywhere.

Last year we went end of March, beginning of April and despite being a little cold for the time, was awesome.

What I'm doing is watching a lot of Youtube travelogues and getting worried about the sizes of crowds I'm seeing. But I guess I'm overthinking it.

I'm seeing that one of the cheapest times to fly is actually early April, which is when I wanted to anyway, so... Hmm.

Grand Fromage posted:

Winter in Tokyo and Kyoto is really not cold at all most years. 40s F and sunny is what you'd expect. But if you can go any time, April/October/December are all good. Avoid summer.

Again, we're Californian. 50 and below is kinda intolerable for us. It's a stereotype that happens to be sadly true in our case.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What I'm doing is watching a lot of Youtube travelogues and getting worried about the sizes of crowds I'm seeing. But I guess I'm overthinking it.

Again, we're Californian. 50 and below is kinda intolerable for us. It's a stereotype that happens to be sadly true in our case.

:rip:

Kyoto is always crowded forever. If you want something Kyoto-ish that's less crowded head to Nara. Outside the deer park it's pretty chill.

Of course even Kyoto is only crowded in certain areas. But there are a lot of those.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Kyoto is busy in March/April. It's also busy all other months of the year, too.

But do you want to sit under a cherry blossom tree in Kyoto or are you cool with going to some random park you saw on the train and taking a stroll through that instead?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My stock answer for "when to go" is always late April/all of May. April would be nice for cherry blossoms but frankly I'd rather not wear a jacket or have to do too many layers, and late April/May have afforded me the opportunity to just basically bring a windbreaker for cool-ish days and wear summer attire the rest of my trip.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

:rip:

Kyoto is always crowded forever. If you want something Kyoto-ish that's less crowded head to Nara. Outside the deer park it's pretty chill.

Of course even Kyoto is only crowded in certain areas. But there are a lot of those.

Planning on doing both, but I'm planning on spending a lot of time in Kyoto and the surrounding areas, so hopefully I'll hit both the crowded, famous spots and some less known hidden gems. I'm willing to do day trips out of the area if there's something unique enough so I'm not 100% locked in to only Kyoto sights, but that will probably be the central area for half the trip (Tyoko being the other).

Phone posted:

Kyoto is busy in March/April. It's also busy all other months of the year, too.

But do you want to sit under a cherry blossom tree in Kyoto or are you cool with going to some random park you saw on the train and taking a stroll through that instead?

I just want to see them everywhere as I experience Japan, I'm not set on one specific spot or anything. Random and strolling is fine.

Martytoof posted:

My stock answer for "when to go" is always late April/all of May. April would be nice for cherry blossoms but frankly I'd rather not wear a jacket or have to do too many layers, and late April/May have afforded me the opportunity to just basically bring a windbreaker for cool-ish days and wear summer attire the rest of my trip.

Hmm, ok, May is on the menu too then. I'll just be sure to avoid Golden Week...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMO from what I hear you don't even really need to avoid Golden Week if you strategically plan where you'll be. Tokyo tends to empty out as EVERYONE is going out on holiday. I would definitely avoid the big attractions at that time, Disney etc., but just sightseeing around the city for six days shouldn't be all that impacted. Kyoto? Onsen villages? Definitely would avoid.

Someone better at this feel free to tell me I'm full of it.

e: That said, I have avoided golden week myself so I don't practice what I preach.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Compared to where I am in Canada, Tokyo in March is downright balmy, I went from winter boots to sandals.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Early October is festival season in Hyogo, Mid October is festival season in Ehime/Kagawa. The humidity is gone and typhoons are mostly done.

Summer sucks hard, the Olympics are going to be busy af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Is it weird that I kind of want to go to an onsen village during Golden Week? I kind of like people watching. Plus can it really be worse than being in Sapporo during the intersection of the snow festival and the Chinese new year?