Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Not thinking big enough... :v:

Nah, that would just cut into Boeing's CMV-22 sales at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

so which is more likely at this stage?

a) the 737 max is eventually returned to service and is noticeably safer than all other airplanes going forward, because every square millimeter of the design has now had a hundred different regulatory bodies scrutinizing it

b) it turns out that boeing has just been allowed to cut so many corners for so long that, when a hundred different regulatory bodies actually look into what they're doing, it turns out the plane cannot be made standards-compliant

I predict the cost of aluminum beverage cans will drop precipitously

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only if they rename it the Pelican...on account of it diving into the water unexpectedly.

Easier to find subs that way.

Tappinghead.gif

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's about $70 billion tied up in the 737 MAX program between already manufactured airframes and capital/tooling, that truly is in too big to fail territory so I don't think the max is gonna get canceled.

Will it fly before I lose my job/the company I work for goes bankrupt? :iiam:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Non-Boeing: The FAA is now hunting for formations of mystery drones over Colorado and Nebraska

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

so which is more likely at this stage?

a) the 737 max is eventually returned to service and is noticeably safer than all other airplanes going forward, because every square millimeter of the design has now had a hundred different regulatory bodies scrutinizing it

b) it turns out that boeing has just been allowed to cut so many corners for so long that, when a hundred different regulatory bodies actually look into what they're doing, it turns out the plane cannot be made standards-compliant

c) The 737 MAX reenters service, but it’s no safer than other planes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Laypeople with zero frame of reference trying to identify size and speed of something in the sky is hard enough, let a lone at night.

The sound of the props make it sound bigger than a consumer hobby unit, but :shrug:

How big and high does something have to be before it's picked up on radar?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 22, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

On Tuesday, January 7, a Flight for Life medical helicopter pilot nearly collided with a suspected drone after flying within 100 feet of an unidentified small aircraft. Pilot Kirk Peebles and his crew were responding to a routine medical call near Fort Morgan, Colorado northeast of Denver when the close call occurred. Peebles told NBC affiliate 9News.com that the drone flyby happened so fast his crew didn’t have time to respond or identify what type of aircraft it was. "A drone just went right under us," he said. "Probably about 100 feet."

Peebles and his crew fly out of St. Anthony’s Hospital in Lakewood, Colorado. Despite using night vision and flying with a vigilant crew, the drone went entirely undetected until the close call happened. "I’m always on the lookout. That’s the nature of the business and what we do," said Peebles. "They’re looking for aircraft constantly for me. Things that I might not catch right away."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

OddObserver posted:

Edit: and Apollo 1 situation was:
1) 100% oxygen atmosphere at 1atm'ish pressure, which makes things extra-burny
2) a bunch of non-fireproof materials
3) poor insulation of electricals
4) hatch that can't be opened easily.
Thanks, I was thinking more what led to these decisions being made. MCAS was all about keeping type rating, what was going on here?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if Jerry bought a drone?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

simplefish posted:

Thanks, I was thinking more what led to these decisions being made. MCAS was all about keeping type rating, what was going on here?

A lot of individual factors that all summed together to make a disaster.

1) the capsules ran at a 100% oxygen atmosphere in space, so they stuck with that during pad tests as well. The problem is that in space it was at a much lower total pressure with a correspondingly lower and safer partial pressure of O2. After Apollo 1 they redesigned the pressurization regime so that it was a regular mix at sea level that gradually reduced and changed to pure O2 during ascent.

1a) fun fact, the Gemini missions launched with sea-level pure O2 mixtures in the cabins, which meant that if they ever actually had to use the ejection seats to escape the capsule the astronauts would most likely have been incinerated. Or if there had been any kind of Apollo 1 style fire.

2) velcro is fantastically useful for sticking items to the wall in zero G. It's also fantastically flammable, especially in a high-pressure pure O2 environment. They had a lot of velcro around in the early capsule designs. Though a whole lot of stuff is extremely flammable at 15+ psi of pure O2.

3) generally hasty design and build process to keep the program on track.

4) it's been a while since I read up on the hatch design so I don't remember for sure. It was either something like the hatch was basically bolted shut from the outside, or just that the pressure differential in a pressurized capsule made it impossible to open (since it opened inward, fighting against the cabin pressure like most airliner doors).

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

simplefish posted:

They were building a first of its kind craft, with techniques, materials, and systems that had never been used before.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MRC48B posted:

They were building a first of its kind craft, with techniques, materials, and systems that had never been used before.

"can we spend very little money making a new aircraft mimic an old one?"

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Boeing is going to have to swallow it's pride. Label the max a new type. Over engineer MCAS (probably can't remove it), then over train on it.

It's the only solution. The ship has sailed on retaining type certification and skipping training. They've got to do some big change to these planes to make them "new" then they're going to have to hand out sim time like crazy.

It really feels like any solution that isn't a variety of this is DOA.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Even if those show up on radar it's just going to be a random primary that pretty much no one is going to pay attention to. Low airspace is generally littered with random primaries.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

4) it's been a while since I read up on the hatch design so I don't remember for sure. It was either something like the hatch was basically bolted shut from the outside, or just that the pressure differential in a pressurized capsule made it impossible to open (since it opened inward, fighting against the cabin pressure like most airliner doors).

It was a plug-type door that opened inward and could not be opened against interior pressure.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Platystemon posted:

c) The 737 MAX reenters service, but it’s no safer than other planes.

Even if Boeing 100% fixes MCAS (lol), a 737MAX will eventually crash for some completely unrelated reason and we'll get to enjoy this safety panic all over again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FunOne posted:

Boeing is going to have to swallow it's pride. Label the max a new type. Over engineer MCAS (probably can't remove it), then over train on it.

My understanding is that the stall characteristics that MCAS was supposed to augment are not unacceptable in a new aircraft.

It’s just that they are markedly different than 737 Classic/NG characteristics.

If the MAX gets a new type certificate with commensurate pilot training, there’s no reason MCAS cannot be excised.

At that point, deleting MCAS is killing two birds with one stone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At that point though, the primary selling point for the aircraft goes right out the window and airlines have no reason to build fleets of them (especially not now.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bull3964 posted:

At that point though, the primary selling point for the aircraft goes right out the window and airlines have no reason to build fleets of them (especially not now.)

Well, it is supposedly still like 2% more fuel efficient than an A320neo, and Airbus' line is backed up for years. Requiring a new type rating would change the calculus, but it might still be better than "fly old expensive planes, or nothing, for years while our competitors get the edge."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slidebite posted:

Laypeople with zero frame of reference trying to identify size and speed of something in the sky is hard enough, let a lone at night.

The sound of the props make it sound bigger than a consumer hobby unit, but :shrug:

That sounds like a muffled 4-stroke internal-combustion engine. Like a small Rotax.

I've flown smaller drones (DJI units; I own a Mavic, and flew a Phanton 4 Pro for work) and those so silent above 40-50-feet.

I had a roof surveyed by a pilot operating a larger DJI (Inspire) and it would be soundless above 100-feet.

When I flew R/C aircraft (2-stroke .60), they were soundless beyond about 200-yards.

Whatever this is, it's not far off the ground.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Some of the stuff it quotes is dubious. The part about previous test flights all failing and both main and backup parachutes failing is undisputed, however.

Edit: and Apollo 1 situation was:
1) 100% oxygen atmosphere at 1atm'ish pressure, which makes things extra-burny
2) a bunch of non-fireproof materials
3) poor insulation of electricals
4) hatch that can't be opened easily.

The truly hosed thing is that at 1 atm of pure O2, fire hazards aside, they would've all had collapsing lungs and brain damage by the time they got to the moon. I guess the life support guys and the dive-tank-trainer guys didn't trade notes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They would have vented it down to 3psi in space, resulting in the same partial pressure of O2 as sea level Earth atmo. They only had it at 15psi cause they were doing a test, which included sealing for launch. The capsule wasn't designed to create and maintain a 12psi negative pressure, because it never would have needed that in operation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The whole MAX debacle is an excellent opportunity for everyone to assess how they can cut down on their own flying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Even if those show up on radar it's just going to be a random primary that pretty much no one is going to pay attention to. Low airspace is generally littered with random primaries.

Pretty much this. When the radar filters get screwy, and the atmosphere is juuuuust right, sometimes you can see trucks on I75 going across the state.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

x-class and equivalent UAS basically make helo noise without the turbine whine.

slidebite posted:

That's, eh, pretty open-ended.

PainterofCrap posted:

I've flown smaller drones (DJI units; I own a Mavic, and flew a Phanton 4 Pro for work) and those so silent above 40-50-feet.

I had a roof surveyed by a pilot operating a larger DJI (Inspire) and it would be soundless above 100-feet.

When I flew R/C aircraft (2-stroke .60), they were soundless beyond about 200-yards.
The DJI gear is pretty quiet but not that quiet unless the background noise is insane (highways etc). Over quiet farmland you can hear a gasser almost a km away, not 200m.
The noise also really depends on disc loading. An Ag or large cine drone with no payload can be bizarrely quiet.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Big drones are loving creepy.

I kind of want to see what kind of mind destroying poo poo Boston Dynamics would come up with.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ola posted:

The whole MAX debacle is an excellent opportunity for everyone to assess how they can cut down on their own flying.

I suspect the continuing trend of budget airlines going bust might do that first

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PainterofCrap posted:

That sounds like a muffled 4-stroke internal-combustion engine. Like a small Rotax.

Whatever this is, it's not far off the ground.

My coworker has a Zenair with a 4cyl rotax (muffled of course) and on a quiet day I can here that thing from over a mile away, easily.

fknlo posted:

I guess I was thinking if there are "swarms" of them with regularity, they might be able to get some intel on where they are coming from or landing? Especially of these aren't small hobby drones.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol that “drone” in the WOWT video is almost certainly a PC12, I’d know that light pattern and sound anywhere.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/CAUGHT-ON-CAMERA-Recent-drone-phenomenon-spotted-in-Saunders-County-566798651.html

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

OddObserver posted:

... would commenting about the army wanting a ground attack plane be in bad taste? ... Yeah, horrible taste.

You really wouldn't need to modify MCAS that much to just create a new pilotless 737 Kamikaze edition. Just like 50 lines of code it's already halfway done.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

e.pilot posted:

lol that “drone” in the WOWT video is almost certainly a PC12, I’d know that light pattern and sound anywhere.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/CAUGHT-ON-CAMERA-Recent-drone-phenomenon-spotted-in-Saunders-County-566798651.html

That's quite the "drone" lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They need to get ADS-B receivers out there when they're drone watching.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The weird thing about these drones is if it's some sort of weird secret operation then why are they using big rear end nav and strobe lights?
:thunk:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What if it's all just been normal airplanes all along, because people are loving idiots.

WHHHHAAAAAT IS THAAAT, IT'S A VEEEE

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That's super obviously a single craft with a single rotor. There's none of phase interference you get with multirotors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember when there was that repeated "drone invasion" at that airport in the UK and it eventually turned out to be either the light on top of a radio antenna or a plastic bag

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

remember when there was that repeated "drone invasion" at that airport in the UK and it eventually turned out to be either the light on top of a radio antenna or a plastic bag

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it :thunk:

Here's a link: Bombardier future bleak says wealth manager

I'm a little confused about what's happened with the C300/A220, since I know it's happening and the whole 737 thing makes me thing it is a buyer's market for the new guy

quote:

"They bet the company really on the C series jets," Baskin said, "and now it's going to be worth zero for them. They don't have the financial resources to make continuing contributions to the project."

But I link this mostly for the subheading 'Competence is Now in Question'

quote:

Bombardier has depended on billions of dollars in contributions from the governments of Canada and Quebec in order to keep going and keep the controlling families in charge, Baskin said, despite what he called "arguably gross mismanagement."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it :thunk:

Here's a link: Bombardier future bleak says wealth manager

I'm a little confused about what's happened with the C300/A220, since I know it's happening and the whole 737 thing makes me thing it is a buyer's market for the new guy

But I link this mostly for the subheading 'Competence is Now in Question'

Selling (effectively) the entire C series project to Airbus and selling off the CRJ to Mitsubishi feels kinda like selling the seed corn in retrospect.

I guess they have.... streetcars?

edit: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-21/bombardier-is-said-to-explore-combining-rail-unit-with-alstom nope
bombardier appears to effectively be dead :rip:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Their streetcar division is more hosed than their aircraft division lately. NYC is about an inch from suing them and Toronto has had nothing but problems.

That company is the darling or Quebec and the only reason they still exist is because of government handouts.

Let them die.