Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

pork never goes bad posted:

Just incredible patch notes. Awesome atlas ux changes.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2752873

This is like every single thing we asked for regarding the Atlas UI.

Maps now display their Atlas Region by default. Holding Alt displays Map Completion, Bonus Objective Completion and Awakening Objective Completion status. I know people wanted to see the region on the map itself.

Added frames to the Map Stash which indicate if a Map is influenced by a Conqueror. This actually circumvents one of the reasons people wanted to see the regions.

Added visual indicators at the centre of the Atlas which display which Conquerors have been defeated. These visual indicators are removed upon opening portals to the Eye of the Storm. This might actually help people grok what they're supposed to be doing with the Atlas.

Clicking anywhere on a Citadel with a non-Unique Watchstone on your cursor now sockets that Watchstone into the appropriate socket if one is available. This was exactly my suggestion for how watchstones should be slotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
Got dang this is all great QOL atlas stuff. No more having to look up poo poo if I moved my stones around.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Cool, you can also slightly improve your sextant rolls by blocking them with three other stones. Not that any of the reworked mods are that awful, but still. Nice that you won't roll dupes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Maps now display their Atlas Region by default. Holding Alt displays Map Completion, Bonus Objective Completion and Awakening Objective Completion status.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
That's an outstanding list of changes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is sweet!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Elentor posted:

That is one hell of a patch, I approve.

Agreed, but a lot of this stuff should've been in 3.9, not 3.9.2c.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

whypick1 posted:

Agreed, but a lot of this stuff should've been in 3.9, not 3.9.2c.

Hi, you must be new here.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy poo poo that's a good patch.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea like every major content update, it will be fantastic next league as we get all of the QOL and bugfixes that should have happened earlier. Thankfully this league was such a great change of pace for the endgame that the issues with it didn't prevent me from having a ton of fun, but that hasn't always been the case in previous leagues.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Hi, you must be new here.

Stuff like "the Atlas UI no longer blocks stuff on the Atlas" seems like poo poo that should've been caught during initial development.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It assuredly was but the fix did not make the first release cycle.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
13 week content cycle doesn't really leave them time to test most stuff beyond the basic, "does this work", and sometimes not even that. Not that I think it's ideal, but I also don't see it changing because this style of development is very good for getting people to come back to the game every few months and spend some money.

I'd love to see them push QA a bit more, but it just doesn't seem like that will ever really be possible.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
if this had been in release, the league would have been amazing instead of "just" quite good.
Sadly im done and all of the QoL is too late for me to enjoy, as i like to play the league before the economy has gone bathist bonkers due to item overflow and fixing, as in every league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

well the changes will still be there next league

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
true, but we dont know the league mechanic yet, could be another synthesis as well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What about all the good things synthesis gave us?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea without Synthesis we wouldn't have uh... hold on let me think of something good from it. I guess it had good uniques, but the boss fights that rewarded them were not even fun fights. Everything else about it was some level of horrible, which is why it all went away.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I actually liked the visual styling of the Synthesis stuff, but the execution was .... bad. Just bad.

And frankly being able to craft new implicits would have been fun if it wasn't locked behind a really bad system. But if you look at the ridiculous poo poo being built in Standard now you can see why it's kind of a bad idea to have as a permanent fixture for the non-Standard leagues.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be down for a revamped Synthesis that doesn't suck, much like how they fixed Bestiary.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I agree - the implicits themselves are cool, and I do like the idea of fractured items smooshing together to make synthesized ones, but there's gotta be a better way to do it. Maybe you can re-smush a synthesized item? Idk.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Synthesized items were a colossal mistake because 99.9% of the items you made were absolute trash and 0.1% were beyond godlike broken. It was an incredibly opaque system by design and had the database for item tables not been exposed by mistake would have been even worse.

I think what we've gotten so far is fine. You've got the bosses, the maps, and the uniques. Maybe they'll find some way to integrate the lore stuff.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Synthesis had amazing visual and sound design. Its not gameplay, but its definitely something that helps the overall feel of a league.
The design of the memory nexus was also pretty cool. The only thing that was without a doubt the most garbage system I've seen in this game was the whole crafting shtick. Just axe the whole locked affixes and implicit crafting stuff, give us three memories per map a la Alva and you'd have some nice content, although I'm not sure if we even have room for another decently complicated league mechanic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nice atlas fixes.

I don't care much about synthesised items and I didn't like the memory tetris but I would like the lore voice acting back somewhere.

dyzzy posted:

Cool, you can also slightly improve your sextant rolls by blocking them with three other stones. Not that any of the reworked mods are that awful, but still. Nice that you won't roll dupes

I don't think that will work. You can still roll dupes, but the dup mod won't have a use consumed when you go into a map like it is now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

quote:

Fixed a bug where applying a Sextant to a Watchstone socketed in a Citadel could generate the same or a similar modifier which was already on another Watchstone in that same Citadel.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Wuxi posted:

although I'm not sure if we even have room for another decently complicated league mechanic.

I'm probably weird and in the minority here but I like being drowned in systems and mechanics, love it when a map has a master mission, legion encounter, cassia and an abyss at the same time, give me moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Synthesis was where they introduced Bane, Unleash, all the Holy spells, and introduced ES Leech Support and made Infused Channeling into what it is now from some useless junk support.

Judging Synthesis for not contributing anything to the game based on Synth items is like judging 3.9 for contributing nothing to the game based on how much of a nothing the Metamorph encounters themselves are and ignoring the complete Atlas overhaul.

E: To be clear Synthesis as a league mechanic was awful, but all the general game changes that came with the league were actually really good. Much like how 3.9 Atlas changes are really good but I don't think anyone would really miss Metamorph being dropped.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 23, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Eh it's not really the same, we generally expect new skills and reworks as an ongoing trickle that runs parallel to new league mechanics. Maybe the themes of the leagues inform/are informed by those changes, but by and large they feel separated. I don't think that when people are disparaging synthesis they are lumping those parts of the patch notes in with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of the Atlas progression and map sustain, I'm having a real problem breaking into the top tier of maps. I've got a ton of T12's, when I run the T13's that drop I'm hardly ever getting any higher tier maps.

I've gotten all the watchstones that don't require 4 stones (and maybe a couple that do). I can 4 stone 4 areas at once with a few left overs.

What is the best method to try to gather the higher tiered maps from T12? When I 4-stone an area it starts at T14, so that doesn't seem to be working well, as I'm just not getting the drops. When I run T13 maps hoping for some 14's I've not been doing great either, and then when I actually do get and run some T14-T16 maps... I've just gotten.. well, nothing much. I think I might have 2-4 of each T14-T16 bonused right now and it's getting kind of frustrating constantly dropping back to T12 maps instead of moving forward. I've even started chiseling everything and trying to push every map I run up to 90% or higher item drop and running Zana missions for double the maps per run. Maybe I'm just on an incredibly unlucky streak and need to keep doing this, but it seems like maybe I'm missing something as far as how to properly socket the atlas for best chance at progression at this point?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

take a pic of your atlas

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Definitely at least keep one area awakened so that you can benefit if you are in a t12/t13 and the game rolls on a +1/+2 from a drop. Otherwise it's either persistence or just trade for stuff that you want

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

dyzzy posted:

Definitely at least keep one area awakened so that you can benefit if you are in a t12/t13 and the game rolls on a +1/+2 from a drop. Otherwise it's either persistence or just trade for stuff that you want

I've been keeping 4 areas awakened to in theory maximize the chances of a higher tier dropping. I've tried inner areas and outer areas or a combination of both and just hardly getting anything. From all the chatter on here I expected this new atlas to be a lot different when I got to this point, but it's been almost as frustrating as the old atlas for me. Maybe I just don't play enough and run enough maps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Awesome! posted:

take a pic of your atlas

Current Atlas:

Obviously I can move the stones around however, just what it's like at the moment. I have triggered the dude in the green area so I can go kill him and get his stone next time I'm on.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
When I feel like I'm in a rough patch like that I just go and buy/trade for maps.

e: Also the bad thing about your current setup is that you've locked yourself out of 11-13 maps from being able to drop, worsening your death spiral since you won't even sustain the maps you're running to look for 14+.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress I think im done and they bring me righjt back in

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
hmm... if you can sextant unique watchstones, you have some interesting options using sextant blocking

Hold on to 3 mediocre unique watchstones with 1 charge left with sextants on them that you don't want, socket all 3 in to a citadel, socket in the new stone you want to sextant in the 4th slot, then apply sextant and move that stone elsewhere; repeat as needed to get better mods before socketing in the ones you want to actually use

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I finally found a piece of armor with 5 sockets in it! I tried to link them all and now I don't have any Orb of Fusing left. That was my whole supply and nothing!
:negative:
Gambling is a sin

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Trying to link a 5 socket item is just has hard as six linking. Never try. Get it to six sockets first or use a jewellers touch.

It's like 100 average fusings to 5 link a six socket, or 1000 to 5 link a 5 socket. As far as I know.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alternatively, unless it's literally the first weekend of the league launch, just don't fuse your own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

1. The Azurite Mine (Delve) contains recipes for sockets/colors/links to use in the Crafting Bench. I use this for upto 4S items because it's still fairly cheap at that point.
2. Never try to manually link anything unless you have money to burn (Ask Vasadus about his Hopeshredder :v:)
3. Trying to manually 5L a 5S item is worse than trying to 5L a 6S item, since on a 6S you can have one of the link checks fail and still hit 5L, whereas on a 5S you have to be perfect.
4. There's a fairly affordable prophecy called The Jeweler's Touch that will make an item 5L after hitting it with a Jeweler's.