Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Yeah, nuc guages of various types are used to find both density and porosity. It's one of the standard measurements on a well log. I agree that (safely used) it's not much of a contamination source -- similar tech is used all the time in construction projects and probably where you work

Yes, x ray testing is used on high pressure steel gas mains to check the welds and it's not much of a danger other than just setting up a safe zone for them to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We use EM probes to check our boreholes but no radioactive sources. We don’t care that much about porosity though since we’re looking at hard rock.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The most useful one in my petroleum geology class projects was always the gamma log, which is roughly analogous to grain size, but I think the equipment detects radioactivity rather than a response to it like a neutron density log

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Fracking is not really the problem. Fracking is just a method for encreasing permeability.

The induced seismicity is not a direct result of fracking, either. It's probably driven by injections of wastewater (brine) for disposal...

Can you explain this in a little bit more detail? I don't know much about the fracking process but this sounds disingenuous, like you're saying banana peels and their disposal are unrelated to the harvest and consumption of bananas. Is there some other economically viable method of wastewater disposal?

Sincere question.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

egyptian rat race posted:

Can you explain this in a little bit more detail? I don't know much about the fracking process but this sounds disingenuous, like you're saying banana peels and their disposal are unrelated to the harvest and consumption of bananas. Is there some other economically viable method of wastewater disposal?

Sincere question.

There isn't an economically (or environmentally) viable way of treating that much waste water. That's the problem. The wastewater wouldn't be disposed of in some body of sandstone hundreds of millions of gallons at a time if we weren't extracting on massive scales from shales where the petroleum exists as an oily gassy water solution. The induced seismicity is a result of doing the brine disposal in places where there are relict networks of faults that are basically being lubed by that brine, lowering the threshold for how much force is needed to move the rock along the fault. You're not wrong in thinking there will always be wastewater. Of course the peels come from the bananas. Any porous rock media that holds petroleum also contains water. My point is that the negative side effects of fracking are typically not necessarily part and parcel of the fracking process itself, but of irresponsible choices in where we apply that technique and how widespread it has become.

Edit: for example, if we were talking strictly in terms of what's known as a conventional oil play, extracting crude from a high porosity high permeability sandstone reservoir capped by an impermeable shale or salt or whatever, we might consider fracking a highly environmentally friendly thing to do. In a case like that, it could dramatically increase the productivity of an existing wellsite in situ, thereby limiting the damage done to an environment by oil exploration or production or what have you

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 22, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

oh for fucks sake

https://mobile.twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1220012760274214912

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1220038663968641026?s=19

E: oh it's 6 months old lol

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 22, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tulsi is suing Hilldawg for calling her a Russian Asset. Now if Hillary wants to do something positive, and he track record over the last 3 years isn't leaning that way, then maybe she should drag the culty loon tune through discovery.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

two shitheads intent on destroying one another? have fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please don't slander the looney tunes

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If Popehat has taught me anything the last two years it’s that defamation suits almost never work vs people that can afford to defend them. Good money this one won’t. Asset doesn’t even require Gabbard to be complicit or even aware.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 23, 2020

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kazinsal posted:

When the Chinese government reports numbers for things like casualties, it's good practice to mentally tack two zeroes onto the end.

The central government is trying to crack down on false reporting from the field - a guy in my shop is a China analyst and he told me the Chinese newspapers are publicizing communique's from the government saying that if local officials misreport numbers of affected people they would be "permanently nailed to the post of shame."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Notahippie posted:

The central government is trying to crack down on false reporting from the field - a guy in my shop is a China analyst and he told me the Chinese newspapers are publicizing communique's from the government saying that if local officials misreport numbers of affected people they would be "permanently nailed to the post of shame."

Ok but are they counting Uighyrs as people?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TamanishaJohn/status/1220023375231438848?s=19

More good stuff from Bernard. My family still lives in the rural hinterlands and visiting the internet is garbage and overpriced

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If he gets rid of the ability of Facebook and Twitter to make olds and rurals into nazis I'm willing to accept this as the tradeoff

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Saudi hack of Bezos’ phone seems to have been pretty technically sophisticated but Mohammed Bone Sawman leveraged it in a way that makes Granos putting a keylogger on a woman’s computer and getting caught look like some NSA poo poo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3b3a_story.html

quote:

On Nov. 8, 2018 — two months before the National Enquirer published an expose revealing that Bezos had been conducting an extramarital affair with former TV host Lauren Sanchez — Bezos received a photo of a woman who looked something like Sanchez.

The photo was accompanied by a cryptic caption saying that “Arguing with a woman is like reading the Software License agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything and click I agree.”

Ferrante’s report said the message arrived “precisely during the period Bezos and his wife were exploring divorce.” At that point, there had been no public reporting on the collapse of Bezos’s marriage.

quote:

On Feb. 14, Bezos had been sent a detailed briefing — delivered to his iPhone — about the Saudi’s online propaganda campaign against him. Two days later, a text arrived from Mohammed’s account saying, “Jeff all what you hear or told to it’s not true,... there is nothing against you or amazon from me or Saudi Arabia.”

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Saudi hack of Bezos’ phone seems to have been pretty technically sophisticated but Mohammed Bone Sawman leveraged it in a way that makes Granos putting a keylogger on a woman’s computer and getting caught look like some NSA poo poo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3b3a_story.html

MBS really is peak failson, loving :lol:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

Tulsi is suing Hilldawg for calling her a Russian Asset. Now if Hillary wants to do something positive, and he track record over the last 3 years isn't leaning that way, then maybe she should drag the culty loon tune through discovery.

If Hillary wants to do something useful she can shut the gently caress up forever

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
This is well and truly the dumbest timeline.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Having trouble not reading those texts in the Borat voice.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Archer explains Medicare for All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzQ39n2dtw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

H. Jon Benjamin is up there with Samuel Jackson on my list of favorite narrators.

Also good content

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey so uh quick reminder that the UK is gonna commit suicide in about 8 days

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh don't worry, I'm anxiously awaiting John Olivers' take on it.

HBO just needs to give him a full hour. I know they already work their asses off, but there's entirely too much poo poo going on to keep up with.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

hey so uh quick reminder that the UK is gonna commit suicide in about 8 days
They had a few opportunities to pull themselves back from the brink and kept going anyway. gently caress em.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

They had a few opportunities to pull themselves back from the brink and kept going anyway. gently caress em.

And we're trucking on right behind them

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna be great to have double digit unemployment and bank failure shenanigans to make a come back like its 2009 again.

Who wants to bet Brexit is the Arch Duke Ferdinand of a worldwide economic catastrophe?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, here's why there's a gwenyth paltrow pussy candle.

https://twitter.com/BusinessNewsT/status/1220156215713501185?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Gonna be great to have double digit unemployment and bank failure shenanigans to make a come back like its 2009 again.

Who wants to bet Brexit is the Arch Duke Ferdinand of a worldwide economic catastrophe?

So, would that make Boris Johnson the 1911?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Global markets have theoretically accounted for Brexit already and, awful as it will be for the UK, it probably won't have any sudden shock effects outside the UK. That markets also go apeshit at a smaller scale when VC wunderkind #174 announces a bullshit reframing of an old concept, but worse, isn't really the same thing as an event that's been in the pipe for years with easily foreseeable consequences.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh, here's why there's a gwenyth paltrow pussy candle.

https://twitter.com/BusinessNewsT/status/1220156215713501185?s=19

$100 is not 25% more than $75 what the gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BigDave posted:

So, would that make Boris Johnson the 1911?

The FN Model 1910, actually.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm upset about the damage to Western institutions and stability and such. But at this point the Brits have proven that they aren't going to get off stupid any time soon. Their stupid poo poo has been stressing me out for 3.5 years now and I'm tired of it. Nothing to do now but sit back and watch them punch themselves in the face repeatedly.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

$100 is not 25% more than $75 what the gently caress.

$93.75 is right?

I’m public school bad at math.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
$100 is like 33% more than $75, right?

Again, public school.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

$100 is like 33% more than $75, right?

Again, public school.

Yeah, difference is you arent writing copy for these morons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm upset about the damage to Western institutions and stability and such. But at this point the Brits have proven that they aren't going to get off stupid any time soon. Their stupid poo poo has been stressing me out for 3.5 years now and I'm tired of it. Nothing to do now but sit back and watch them punch themselves in the face repeatedly.

It's a blueprint for the future you ask me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what the Brexiteers think is gonna happen:

https://youtu.be/wZ9J-dxEgY4

Spoiler: they used imagery from the black sites and nazi Germany for a reason in the film

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Propublica with a combo

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-inauguration-complaint

quote:

Donald and Ivanka Trump Were Involved in Inauguration’s Inflated Payments to Family Business, New Suit Says

“Members of the Trump family were aware of and involved in the negotiation of this unconscionable contract,” the District of Columbia’s attorney general wrote in the suit.

Then-President-elect Donald Trump and his daughter Ivanka were warned in 2016 that the family business was overcharging the nonprofit presidential inaugural committee — and let it happen anyway, according to a suit filed Wednesday by the Washington, D.C., attorney general.

In the civil complaint, Attorney General Karl Racine charged the Trump inaugural committee and the Trump Organization with using around $1 million of charitable funds to improperly enrich the Trump family.

An experienced event planner who was working for the inaugural, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, raised concerns directly with Donald and Ivanka Trump that the Trump International Hotel in Washington was trying to overcharge the inaugural committee.

“Winston Wolkoff met with President-elect Trump and Ivanka Trump and discussed these concerns with both individuals,” the suit says. “The President-elect acknowledged these concerns and directed that Ivanka Trump would handle this issue.”

The complaint accuses three entities — the Trump Organization, the inaugural committee and the Trump hotel — of subverting the public purpose of a charity for the Trump family’s private benefit.

At the center of the complaint is a four-day rental agreement for the downtown Washington hotel’s ballroom and adjacent spaces. The hotel, and by extension the Trump family, was paid far above market rate, according to internal documents the attorney general obtained by subpoena.

As WNYC and ProPublica’s “Trump, Inc.” revealed, the Trump inaugural committee paid the Trump Organization over Wolkoff’s objections, which Ivanka had been aware of.

Documents uncovered by the D.C. attorney general contradict earlier statements by spokespeople for the Trumps that they had little or no involvement in the negotiations.

“The president was focused on the transition during that time and not on any of the planning for the inauguration,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in December 2018.

Peter Mirijanian, a spokesman for Ivanka Trump’s ethics lawyer, told WNYC and ProPublica in 2018 that Ivanka had only been contacted once about inauguration spending at Trump’s hotel: “Ms. Trump was not involved in any additional discussions.”

The attorney general’s documents show deeper involvement.

Ivanka Trump was made aware of concerns about overpayment in a Dec. 12, 2016, email from Rick Gates, the deputy to the inaugural chairman, which she responded to two days later. On Dec. 16, Wolkoff raised her concerns in person with Donald and Ivanka Trump. The next day, Wolkoff again objected to the Trump hotel’s proposed rates.

“These events are in PE’s [the president-elect’s] honor at his hotel and one of them is for family and close friends,” she wrote in an email to Ivanka and Gates. “Please take into consideration that when this is audited it will become public knowledge.”

Other venues hosting inauguration events provided space for free.

On Jan. 10, 2017, the inaugural committee finalized its contract with the hotel at $175,000 per day, over Wolkoff’s objections. The committee was also charged for days when it wasn’t even using the space, the suit says.

One event, costing more than $300,000, was a private reception at the Trump hotel “benefiting only the children of the President,” the complaint says.

“DJT is not expected to attend but was more for you, Don and Eric,” Gates wrote in an email to Ivanka Trump several days before the event, according to the complaint.

The Trump inaugural appears to have overpaid for space at Trump’s Washington hotel, a possible violation of the law. Federal prosecutors are probing the festivities.

A spokesperson for the Trump Organization dismissed the D.C. suit in an emailed statement:

“The AG’s claims are false, intentionally misleading and riddled with inaccuracies. The rates charged by the hotel were completely in line with what anyone else would have been charged for an unprecedented event of this enormous magnitude and were reflective of the fact that [sic] hotel had just recently opened, possessed superior facilities and was centrally located on Pennsylvania Avenue. The AG’s after the fact attempt to regulate what discounts it believes the hotel should have provided as well as the timing of this complaint reeks of politics and is a clear PR stunt.”

Spokespeople for the inaugural committee, the White House and Ivanka Trump did not immediately comment. A spokesman for the IRS, which regulates charities, said “federal law prohibits the IRS from discussing specific taxpayers.”

D.C. is asking the court to compel the Trump Organization to place at least $1,033,757 in a trust, so the money can be allocated “to another nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting civic engagement of the citizens of the United States of America.”

The Trump inaugural committee drew scrutiny from the moment it first reported its financials. The committee raised nearly $107 million, close to double the haul of President Barack Obama’s record-setting 2009 bash, despite being a much smaller event. Past inaugural planners said they would struggle to spend a sum of money that large.

“It’s inexplicable to me,” Greg Jenkins, who led former President George W. Bush’s second inaugural committee, told “Trump, Inc.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-pushed-for-a-sweetheart-tax-deal-on-his-first-hotel-its-cost-new-york-city-410-068-399-and-counting

quote:

Trump Pushed for a Sweetheart Tax Deal on His First Hotel. It’s Cost New York City $410,068,399 and Counting.

Donald Trump after he received an unprecedented 40-year tax break to acquire and redevelop the Commodore Hotel in 1976. The break, which ends in April, has cost the city over $410 million in forgone revenue.

In 1975, New York City was run-down and on the verge of bankruptcy. Twenty-nine-year-old Donald Trump saw an opportunity. He wanted to acquire and redevelop the dilapidated Commodore Hotel in midtown Manhattan next to Grand Central Terminal.

Trump had bragged to the executive controlling the sale that he could use his political connections to get tax breaks for the deal.

The executive was skeptical. But the next day, the executive was invited into Trump’s limousine, which ushered him to City Hall. There, he met with Donald’s father Fred and Mayor Abe Beame, to whom the Trumps had given lavishly.

Beame put his arm around the Trumps. “Anything they want, they get,” Beame said, as recounted by Trump’s first biographer, journalist Wayne Barrett.

Trump got an unprecedented 40-year tax break. According to new figures given to us by the New York City Department of Taxation and Finance, the break has cost the city $410,068,399.55 in forgone revenue to Trump and the hotel’s subsequent owners. The break ends this April.

In “The Art of the Deal,” Trump said there was a reason for the 40-year deal: “Because I didn’t ask for 50.”

Trump got it over the misgivings of some state officials. The former chairman of the state economic development agency, Richard Ravitch, recalled in an interview that Trump approached him in December 1975. Trump, who had ties to Gov. Hugh Carey, “started raising his voice, and threatening me, and said, ‘If you don’t give me a tax abatement, I’m going to have you fired.’ I said, ‘Get the gently caress out of here.’”

Ravitch was not fired, but the state agency did approve the break. Trump has said the decision was made on the merits.

“Really the story of Donald Trump, rather than this Horatio Alger figure, this is a guy who managed to learn how to turn politics into money,” said Barrett during a 1992 WNYC interview, the same one in which he told the Beame story. (Barrett died on Jan. 19, 2017, on the eve of Trump’s inauguration.)

Trump has long worked hard to avoid taxes. “That makes me smart,” he famously retorted during a 2016 presidential debate. But Donald Trump didn’t come up with those smarts himself.

In 1954, Fred Trump appeared before the Senate Banking Committee, which questioned his practice of valuing his properties at top dollar for government mortgages while using much lower assessments for tax purposes. A federal report criticized the practices that Fred Trump and other developers engaged in, calling them “outright misrepresentation.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-23/nsw-rfs-air-tanker-crashes-near-numeralla-bushfire/11893554

A C-130 just crashed in New South Wales fighting the bush fire. All 3 on board were killed. It is believe all on board were American. Thank for your help guys. This has really bummed me out.