Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Only lefties cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Trapick posted:

Only lefties cry.

And victims of rural crime.

https://twitter.com/yycjordon/status/1219716237246156800?s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Papyrus and Carlton Cards are shuttering across Canada. Wherever will we buy our greeting cards now?

Sucks for the workers while their CEO will keep his wealth and get on a director's board somewhere else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

God damnit where am I supposed to buy bougie cards and wrapping paper now? Like I actually don't know.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PittTheElder posted:

God damnit where am I supposed to buy bougie cards and wrapping paper now? Like I actually don't know.

Indigo, hipster modern “design” poo poo and electronics is like 1/3 of the floor space now (which I’m fine with, whatever a bookstore has to do)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

Indigo, hipster modern “design” poo poo and electronics is like 1/3 of the floor space now (which I’m fine with, whatever a bookstore has to do)

Heather Reisman saw the death of brick and mortar retail book stores about a decade ago and decided the solution was to make Indigo a lifestyle brand instead, that happens to sell some books.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ARACHTION posted:

This is the last stop for the gravy train! No more cryin’ on the tax payer’s dime!

here comes the story of the gravy train
a metaphor the wealthy came to blame
for something they themselves had donnnne

just another
Oct 16, 2009

just privatize and sell, Canada coulda been
a beacon for the worrrlllddd

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I was at Indigo last night and the card selection was pretty good. Bizarre that 3/4th of the store is yoga mats, stationary, weighted blankets and water bottles though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Heather Reisman saw the death of brick and mortar retail book stores about a decade ago and decided the solution was to make Indigo a lifestyle brand instead, that happens to sell some books.

More power to her, then, as it seems to be a winning strategy. That said I would literally never go in if it weren’t for the Starbucks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Trapick posted:

Only lefties cry.
Can't drink those librul tears if you let them dry their eyes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/1220028120062820352?s=20

50 K for water cooler services?!?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*We will now spend $80k on bottled water, purchased through a business owned by a major campaign contributor

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao so instead of everyone having to bring their own water and tissues it's just lawyers that have to? what a weird, absurd situation. Like there are water coolers in the courtrooms that everyone else can go up and use but if a lawyer does it the bailiff restrains them or something?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

*We will now spend $80k on bottled water, purchased through a business owned by a major campaign contributor

Ah, I see you've played grifty-grafty before.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Ah, I see you've played grifty-grafty before.

These pockets ain't gonna line themselves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I can only assume that the president of whatever water cooler maintenance company Alberta Courts uses had the nerve to donate to the ANDP or some petty nonsense.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the senior union guys who ran the most visible ad blitzs against the Progressive Conservatives in Ontario over the last twenty years and he told me that when they tried to help Alberta Labour unions set up a similar group to run ads against the government in Alberta they were literally unable to find any local pollster or political advertiser. This was back when the Alberta PCs were still in office and apparently it was widely understood that anyone who took a contract from a union backed group would have been permanently cut off from any kind of government contracts.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

i still cannot get used to the sight of evil twin trudeau

Wait a minute, does the sudden beard mean the timeline loving forked again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

angerbeet posted:

I was at Indigo last night and the card selection was pretty good. Bizarre that 3/4th of the store is yoga mats, stationary, weighted blankets and water bottles though.

That's because Indigo sells those bougie Papyrus cards. The only cards the store doesn't get from Papyrus are the Christmas card boxes they get from their SoHo team.

Source: I worked at indigo for two years.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thinking back, a Hallmark store that sells nothing but greeting cards is kind of weird.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Butcher posted:

What do you mean? He's always had a beard

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I hate greeting cards with a fiery passion. My blood boils at the fact that the things cost me $5, $6 or even $7 but are manufactured for loving pennies.

Good riddance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

That reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the senior union guys who ran the most visible ad blitzs against the Progressive Conservatives in Ontario over the last twenty years and he told me that when they tried to help Alberta Labour unions set up a similar group to run ads against the government in Alberta they were literally unable to find any local pollster or political advertiser. This was back when the Alberta PCs were still in office and apparently it was widely understood that anyone who took a contract from a union backed group would have been permanently cut off from any kind of government contracts.

It feels like this is one of those things that can happen when a single party runs the province for 40 years

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

What do you mean? He's always had a beard

And all my copies say beardenstain bears

just another
Oct 16, 2009

The Butcher posted:

No it means this season will be eminently re-watchable.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ideas for 22 Minutes writers doing a mediocre mirror universe epp:

- Harper emerges from a corporate boardroom, takes off his suit jacket/shirt/tie and throws it to the ground and kicks it away. He puts on a t-shirt and we learn he is a good person who now cares about people and just wants the best for everyone. (Note: DO NOT add beard.)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sitchensis posted:

I hate greeting cards with a fiery passion. My blood boils at the fact that the things cost me $5, $6 or even $7 but are manufactured for loving pennies.

Good riddance.

Buck store, my person.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We once made a custom card that was a selfie of my wife and I standing in front of the card display because not a single one of them was funny.

Screw paying 10 bucks for Family Circus level 'comedy'.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Another good answer is to buy a card made by a local artist instead Always gonna be something good or weird. Often both.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I don't buy cards for people because its dumb. I will write a note and affix it to a gift if I feel like it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I don't like getting gifts but I like getting thoughtful cards because lives are short and I strongly value relationships over random poo poo inside wrapping paper

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JamesMoore_org/status/1220126223793156096

Imagine being such an rear end in a top hat it gives James Moore an opportunity to look woke

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

We once made a custom card that was a selfie of my wife and I standing in front of the card display because not a single one of them was funny.

That's actually pretty good and I'm going to steal it for personal use and you won't be getting any royalties or recognition.

Please don't be offended it's just really confusing to 99% of people when I add "this idea i stole for a cheap laugh from came from EvilJoven, a poster on a dead comedy forum" on the back when they check to see if I paid for the good stuff or not.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Their online stores will still be operating. They are only closing the brick and mortar stores. Unless I’ve needed it within a day or two I’ve always bought the Papyrus cards and accessories online.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesMoore_org/status/1220126223793156096

Imagine being such an rear end in a top hat it gives James Moore an opportunity to look woke

Pre-emptive drill.tweet

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ok real post, Mrs. Butcher is super into cards and buys these actually really neat fancy printer cut 3D pop up ones (it's lasers or tiny knifes or something like that to make it) from artists at craft shows and everyone she sends them to loves them. Way cooler than Hallmark trash.

Just FYI that is an option and am happy to shoot a couple options of local Metro Van artists who make these over PM if that might be your jam.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My old latin tutor and his wife used to do woodcuts each year for Christmas cards and send those around to people. They were awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

My old latin tutor and his wife used to do woodcuts each year for Christmas cards and send those around to people. They were awesome.

We got some woodcut coasters this year of the street layouts of a couple major cities we had visited and lived in. These were definitely laser cut.

I thought they would be a PITA to keep nice looking but whatever they coated them with works great and keeps it totally sealed.

Artist will also do any city or spot you like. I'm assuming they have some way of just pulling map data and getting the engraver thing to spit it out.

Gifting pro tip there for you CanPol.