Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone have any experience applying chipping medium with a brush instead of an airbrush? Trying to read up on a bit but most tutorials assume you've got an airbrush and a couple people that tried it with a brush mentioned that it was really difficult to work with because it was so gooey and dried in a weird texture, etc., but I'm not sure if they were not letting it dry long enough or if it's just not worth attempting without an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ready to figure out how to play Combat Arena now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

If you can't hack super neat edge highlights, just do what I do and be consistently messy:

It's a Locust!

This is lovely!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

jassi007 posted:

On the subject of paint consistency, I bought some Scale 75 metallics to try as opposed to GW. I really like the color of Dwarven Gold, very good for 2nd company Ultramarines, but I'm having a hell of a time applying it. It feels thick and sticky even after thinning with water, flow improver, acrylic medium. I don't know if I'm just not thinning it enough or what, but if anyone has any tips that'd be great.

Scale 75 paints are definitely thicker than GW paints, just as GW paints are thicker than, say, Reaper. Keep thinning. I find they go down very nicely once they are thinned, but it definitely takes a bit to get to that point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the main problem i have with thinning is when the paint starts to bead up, and a drop of flow improver sorts that right out

also i had asked before if my vma gold was too thin to brush on and turns out yeah, not shaking the bottle enough :cripes:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

the main problem i have with thinning is when the paint starts to bead up, and a drop of flow improver sorts that right out

also i had asked before if my vma gold was too thin to brush on and turns out yeah, not shaking the bottle enough :cripes:

Vallejo really needs to be shaken a lot. Often I think I've done enough but after it's sat on the wet palette for an hour or two it'll separate completely.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

for sure. gonna buy some little ball bearings for my pots i think

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I got my hands on Underworlds Shadespire and Nightvault with every warband expansion (unpainted). I thought painting them could be a fun project so I bought a box of paints and some Chaos Cultists (cheapest minis at my LGS) for practice, and painted my first mini.

It was fun! Looking forward to painting the rest and hope I feel confident enough by then to start painting the Underworlds models.

also how do you do lenses that small, that white dot took all of my precision and patience

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Here's the base, and it's bronze dragon friend. I haven't varnished them yet so C&C welcome.

Imgur

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone have any experience applying chipping medium with a brush instead of an airbrush? Trying to read up on a bit but most tutorials assume you've got an airbrush and a couple people that tried it with a brush mentioned that it was really difficult to work with because it was so gooey and dried in a weird texture, etc., but I'm not sure if they were not letting it dry long enough or if it's just not worth attempting without an airbrush.

Can't say I've tried it with a regular brush, but if you don't have an airbrush you could just use hairspray. It basically has the same effect.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Winklebottom posted:

I got my hands on Underworlds Shadespire and Nightvault with every warband expansion (unpainted). I thought painting them could be a fun project so I bought a box of paints and some Chaos Cultists (cheapest minis at my LGS) for practice, and painted my first mini.

It was fun! Looking forward to painting the rest and hope I feel confident enough by then to start painting the Underworlds models.

also how do you do lenses that small, that white dot took all of my precision and patience

This is pretty dang good for a first model!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was looking up different techniques on Youtube and found this video on creating fire effects using a hot glue gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eXdPGA1e0

Has anyone here tried anything like this?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Words about chipping

As another wise goon said, try a good hair spray.

Military modelers figured this poo poo out, and it works. I use Aquanet. It goes on so well, that I wonder if it was originally a modelling product that was repurposed into a haircare product. As a side benefit, it reminds me of the smell of the 1980s.

I watched a video lately of some YouTuber using a specific hair spray that some other pro painter uses, but I forgot the brand and the video. Maybe it was Tresemme?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Got some mini knights for xmas:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

I have since somehow have ended up with a bunch of Acastus and Cerastus knights and a Warlord, so welp, guess I'm doing Titanicus now.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Endman posted:

If you can't hack super neat edge highlights, just do what I do and be consistently messy:

It's a Locust!

This looks amazing and is surprisingly good advice!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've heard that some materials can affect the paint when used as agitators. I bought a big thing of BBs (these ones: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DAISY-2400-COUNT-PRECISIONMAX-BB-BOTTLE/15729970) that appear to be zinc coated steel. From some quick googling I don't think they'll be a problem, but has anyone got first hand knowledge about this? It's too late for me now as I've put a couple in each of my paint bottles already. Assuming these are good, though, they're a real cheap way to get a shitload of agitators.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Hematite beads are pretty cheap and don't have the rust issue since it's already ferrous oxide.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I have a big pile of glass beads I got off etsy for a song.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I got a bag of glass aquarium pebbles for a few bucks from some big box store.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I got a string of glass beads from Michaels for a buck

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My starter box of paint come with stainless steel balls that have been working great.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've heard that some materials can affect the paint when used as agitators. I bought a big thing of BBs (these ones: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DAISY-2400-COUNT-PRECISIONMAX-BB-BOTTLE/15729970) that appear to be zinc coated steel. From some quick googling I don't think they'll be a problem, but has anyone got first hand knowledge about this? It's too late for me now as I've put a couple in each of my paint bottles already. Assuming these are good, though, they're a real cheap way to get a shitload of agitators.

I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RXKUGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just put like 5 of them in a cup of water for a week. I figure if that doesn't make them rust, then I'm gtg.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
What's the go-to basing goop these days? Kinda sick of constantly buying the little GW pots. I was looking at the Vallejo Stone Textures if they're any good, thinking maybe the rough pumice for 40k and the fine one for Titanicus?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Vallejo basing materials work really well. I have a couple different pots of them. Alternatively, AK Interactive have released some new basing material pots of the same size that are really good quality as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

What's the go-to basing goop these days? Kinda sick of constantly buying the little GW pots. I was looking at the Vallejo Stone Textures if they're any good, thinking maybe the rough pumice for 40k and the fine one for Titanicus?

Liquitex Red Oxide is pretty great for more organic ground textures

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

This gave me flashbacks of the Godzilla movies where he was nurturing Baby Godzilla

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

This is pretty dang good for a first model!

Thanks! I finished all five of them now, but I think I need go out and buy some new light skin colors. The Army Painter Elf Flesh is disconcertingly jaundice-y

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Winklebottom posted:

Yeah, I'll jump on the band wagon, that's really good for a first model. Your paint scheme on the gun is the right combo of metal and grime wash.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Winklebottom posted:

Wayyy better than my first, and my 2nd, 3rd, and possibly my first couple dozen now that I think about it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how long it took me to stop suck at painting. Really good job on the mask, and very impressive highlighting for a first mini.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So my next project is a T-Rex. I have the paint scheme ready but does anyone have any materials on how to paint reptile eyes? Or how about open mouths/tongues and teeth. No idea how to do those

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Werix posted:

Yeah, I'll jump on the band wagon, that's really good for a first model. Your paint scheme on the gun is the right combo of metal and grime wash.

PinheadSlim posted:

Wayyy better than my first, and my 2nd, 3rd, and possibly my first couple dozen now that I think about it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how long it took me to stop suck at painting. Really good job on the mask, and very impressive highlighting for a first mini.

Thank you! Reading this thread and watching an embarrassing amount of the WHTV vids over and over again helped a ton.

The full crew:

Getting slight anxiety over where to go from here. Might have to get some more practice models

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nice cultists! Red and purple is fun.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

New models! One is Kusanagi from Infinity, which I just got the courage to paint by knowing a better model will some day be released, and the second is another model out of the 50 cent bin at the Toledo Game Room.

Kusanagi looks pretty good but I'm really happy with the civilian girl - feel like I am seeing actual improvement in my technique compared to just a year ago.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I saw a real cool Helbrute conversion and I wanted to copy some stuff from it for my Sonic Dreadnought. I still have to make the tongue, and I'm waiting on my guns from spellcrow, but this is the basic idea.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to run the power scourge, or the missiles, so I decided to take out the fist, and make it a missile bay of sorts. Now I can run either or! I'm going to make a long tongue for the power scourge, and just use the gaping hole in the middle for a doom siren. That should fly, right? Wysiwyg wise?

Edit: I know I have to fit this together better, but I wanted to do most of the mods, and prime/paint before I committed to gluing it.

Edit2: with tongue

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 23, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also what are good alternatives to Vallejo Primer? Kinda getting unsatisfied with it

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Badger Stynylrez is by far the best primer I have ever used, but I've only ever done it through an airbrush so if you're brushing it on I can't say if it's still as good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Under 15 posted:

New models! One is Kusanagi from Infinity, which I just got the courage to paint by knowing a better model will some day be released, and the second is another model out of the 50 cent bin at the Toledo Game Room.

Kusanagi looks pretty good but I'm really happy with the civilian girl - feel like I am seeing actual improvement in my technique compared to just a year ago.

Civilian girl looks great! Good highlights / layers.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Final question, and this may be stupid, but I've never done glazing before and was wondering if you could use glaze medium or matte medium? I have both.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Final question, and this may be stupid, but I've never done glazing before and was wondering if you could use glaze medium or matte medium? I have both.
Glaze medium thins your paint while avoiding the runny consistency of a wash, matte medium makes your paint more matte. Mix to taste.

If you actually taste the paint medium, make sure to post impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pierzak posted:

Glaze medium thins your paint while avoiding the runny consistency of a wash, matte medium makes your paint more matte. Mix to taste.

If you actually taste the paint medium, make sure to post impressions.

So I should use glaze medium to glaze?