Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I'll bite, which are some good VNs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Heaven Will Be Mine

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the house in fata morgana (first chapter lesser quality than all other chapters)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"HEAVEN WILL BE MINE is a visual novel about making terrible life decisions in the midst of a hot-blooded battle between giant robots. Select one of three terribly behaved girls to fight and/or make out with each other in their struggle for the fate of space."

Well, thanks for backing me up, Impeachment.

E:

lol

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's a good game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Don't argue in good faith with them. It will lead you nowhere.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

performative anime hatred in 2020 is very un-disco

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dias posted:

Don't argue in good faith with them. It will lead you nowhere.

fair!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

We Know The Devil. Absolutely A++ weird storytelling about outcast friends fighting their personal demons at a christian summer camp they're not welcome to. It is very personal and deals with identity, boundaries, and an impossible to avoid call from the devil. It's a gut punch if you're LGBT, dread-filled tone, and a happy ending you get by exploring each character path.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Listen, I like Danganronpa AND Disco Elysium, but I know that Disco Elysium is far better, obviously, but Danganronpa isn't trying to do anything nearly as uh intrepid as something like Disco Elysium, and know it's just funny, stupid, mindless entertainment.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 23, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ace Attorney is basically a VN series when you think about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Disco Elysium

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cuno's account spotted.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

After a bit of a break I'm on my 4th playthrough (still finding stuff!) and I've come upon this amusing bug where Harry is constantly holding a bottle of booze in his right hand when nothing is equipped and when I do equip something in that hand it shows the booze and whatever I have equipped at the same time. I don't mind it though, this is just how it's meant to be.

Also:

:unsmith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

We Know the Devil is by the same team as Heaven Will Be Mine and I preferred it even though it's not as big. HWBM gets a bit too flowery and unclear in what's metaphor and what's literal. Which is intentional even in the context of its game world, but still.

The Zero Escape series is kinda fun VNs mixed with Escape the Room puzzles. Pretty neat. On the other hand the game feels a bit like a Neal Stephenson novel where now and then a character will say "By the way, here's ten paragraphs on this cool science topic the author read about recently".

I had a lot of fun with Danganronpa and it's very well localised but despite that I wouldn't call the writing in it good. But hey if you like clicking clues and being a detective you can give it a shot.

Phoenix Wright trilogy ditto.

Dream Daddy is mostly well written but it's also a game about being a dad dating other dads. Also VN elitists don't like the fact that in terms of plot flow the game is basically picking which date to date and then returning to the menu, and when you date a dad three times you hit their ending.

Hatoful Boyfriend is funny, but it's also making fun of the stock dating VN archetypes by making all the boys be species of pigeon to point out how interchangeable these types of characters are. It's not really something you jump into; it's like watching Spaceballs and having no idea what Star Wars is.

Long Live the Queen is unironically good. At first glance is appears to be a 'Princess Maker' game where you decide what skills and stats you're getting the princess to raise, but you're not playing the role of any creepy father figure, you are the princess and there's a huge amount of branching and different story bits. Like, an early plot point is that your character has magical potential but the king had their magic jewel-focus sealed away, and you can go the entire game deciding "yeah he was right, magic's not that important to me" if you want rather than pursuing that plot thread.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I didn't like Doki Doki Literature Club, but it did give me a panic attack and make me pass out, so in that sense it's very relatable to one particular scene in Disco Elysium.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Play Bad Day on the Midway instead of a VN

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

When i replay this, I still would never be able to bring myself to be a dick to Lt Kim Kitsurgai, best of the 57th Precinct.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hour 0: who is this nerd, psh, sidekick gotta kick this nerd out so I CAN BE *ME*

hour 2: I would die for Kim, cradling him in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than his

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Dick posted:

Lost Odyssey really needs a rerelease.

:yeshaha: I would be very happy to play that again and get others to play it for the first time

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Can't wait for Discolikes to start hitting the scene, what would define the genre besides a huge focus on good writing and smaller scales and fewer but more in depth characters?

There will be games inspired by Disco Elysium, no doubt, and many of them will be good games in their own right. I also think that Disco Elysium is not the last revolution in RPGs. In about 10 years time, I suspect there will be another genre-defining RPG that will turn conventions on their heads the way Disco Elysium did.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Caufman posted:

There will be games inspired by Disco Elysium, no doubt, and many of them will be good games in their own right. I also think that Disco Elysium is not the last revolution in RPGs. In about 10 years time, I suspect there will be another genre-defining RPG that will turn conventions on their heads the way Disco Elysium did.

I hope it doesn't take that long

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah. Pale might eat us by then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's something very magical realism about existential dread as a physical phenomenon which everyone knows and refuses to openly acknowledge is slowly destroying the world.

I still say with the right writers the DE engine would make a helluva Batman game.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's something very magical realism about existential dread as a physical phenomenon which everyone knows and refuses to openly acknowledge is slowly destroying the world.

Only a minority of the people we see in the world of Disco Elysium have the right conditions to worry about the Pale's growth. I think Maslow's pyramid is right, except it is short a level. Above self-actualization is the need for universal realization. It's not enough to be top ape on the ball. At some point, you need to see that the whole vaudeville of a reality is ultimately good. And that may be key to overcoming all kinds of existential crises from the psychological to the entroponetical. Per the dance party, the solution will be good vibrations.

edit: Also, writing poetry apparently helps.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 23, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say with the right writers the DE engine would make a helluva Batman game.

It was my first in game death. Second was kicking that furnace.

Good stuff.

Now I’m playing teetotaler but looking forward to replaying it lit the duck up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What do you need to get Joyce to tell you about the Pale? The Conceptualisation check?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

hour 0: who is this nerd, psh, sidekick gotta kick this nerd out so I CAN BE *ME*

hour 2: I would die for Kim, cradling him in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than his

+1 The lieutenant trusts you.
+1 He really trusts you.

This was a modifier I got - probably everyone got it - which made me marvel at and appreciate those short, game-mechanicy bits of text as being genuine art which add to the story. The other was this, when:

you realise you're going to have to question Klaasje:

-1 Told her you didn't remember being a cop
-1 Told her you didn't remember anything
-1 Said "I want to make gently caress with you"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

This is a deep cut, but my friend, definitely not me, really likes this one: https://store.steampowered.com/app/570840/_Nekojishi/

It is a gay furry dating/romance visual novel, however my friend is Chinese and tells me that the culture and folklore/mythology in the game are extremely well researched, executed and illustrated. It's free and all the reviews are stellar.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
So have ZA/UM given updates as to exactly what they're currently working on? Because they're porting the game to consoles, but I wonder if that will coincide with the DLC releasing, because it seems like it would've been doable by now. I've also been wondering why they didn't announce a Switch port, it could definitely run the game, but maybe they chose not to because playing it in handheld mode wouldn't be that great? I don't know, but I'm going to buy it on PS4 so I can play with a controller.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Can't wait for Discolikes to start hitting the scene, what would define the genre besides a huge focus on good writing and smaller scales and fewer but more in depth characters?

Complete lack of any skill based gameplay elements. No jumping puzzles, no boss fights, no stealth sections you can fail because of slow reaction speed. Just choices you make.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I haven’t played many VNs but Analogue: A Hate Story is probably the most disturbing game I’ve ever played. For all the buzz around Doki Doki Literature Club, its only real merit is in the shock twist (which in itself feels exploitative), Analogue actually delivers on the “psychological horror” promise. It’s more or less “The Handmaid’s Tale: The Visual Novel”.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Has anyone else stopped and enjoyed the cold weather falling down on you since playing the game, or am I just insane?

I started taking walks, sometimes 79 minutes before sunrise, because of this game. Dawn's often warmer than morning.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

:emptyquote:

not quite Empty though...I finally finished my first playthrough last night and the Phasmid encounter on the island came out of nowhere and was amazing! The entire Pale storyline/investigation was so interesting and so well written. I can't wait to play again as a superstar druggie instead of a genius supercomrade.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Even though I thoroughly disliked some of the main characters, I have to give it up for Steins;Gate if you like sci-fi in any way.

Higurashi When They Cry had some good mystery writing if you're a fan of that but you have to invest some time into each episode waiting for the horror to show up. The first half of each game are like a slice of life anime but by the end of it the author is doing stuff like detailed descriptions of how it looks after a bat caves someone's skull in. I really thought the sound direction was on point, too. (Also don't play with the original graphics, it makes the characters look like they were made in mspaint)

Analogue: A Hate Story is Christine Love's best game IMO. It wasn't a very easy read because the story is told in disjointed data logs and the Korean names took a while to get used to, but I feel like it's a rare example of a story that would only work as a VN and not as a book.

Clannad is supposed to be a crazy good story but I wouldn't know because the artwork looks ugly as sin and I can't get over how bad it looks. Is it that good? Please tell me!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

+1 The lieutenant trusts you.
+1 He really trusts you.

This was a modifier I got - probably everyone got it - which made me marvel at and appreciate those short, game-mechanicy bits of text as being genuine art which add to the story. The other was this, when:

you realise you're going to have to question Klaasje:

-1 Told her you didn't remember being a cop
-1 Told her you didn't remember anything
-1 Said "I want to make gently caress with you"

my favorite is the one where you ask joyce for money after failing a certain encyclopedia check

+1 BILLIONS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reveilled posted:

I haven’t played many VNs but Analogue: A Hate Story is probably the most disturbing game I’ve ever played. For all the buzz around Doki Doki Literature Club, its only real merit is in the shock twist (which in itself feels exploitative), Analogue actually delivers on the “psychological horror” promise. It’s more or less “The Handmaid’s Tale: The Visual Novel”.

They're keeping quiet about the Smash character announcement.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reveilled posted:

Every VN Christine Love has made owns bones and Ladykiller in a Bind was the best game of the year it came out but no one wants to talk about it cause it's about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ladykiller in a Bind was the best game of the year it came out but no one wants to talk about it cause it's about sex.

Why does everyone in that game have a face that's too small for their head?

EDIT: