Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So with that Curry I made, I accidentally left it sitting on the stove all night(it had a lid on it though), I put it in the fridge this morning though, you guys think it will still be good or should I toss it, the meat used was pork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Give it a taste, curry that's off will taste sour

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
My first chef and literally every restaurant I’ve ever worked at: “when in doubt, throw it out.”

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

drrockso20 posted:

So with that Curry I made, I accidentally left it sitting on the stove all night(it had a lid on it though), I put it in the fridge this morning though, you guys think it will still be good or should I toss it, the meat used was pork
This sounds like something it would not be advisable to consume.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you served that at a restaurant you'd be in deep poo poo. Throw it out after 3 hours.

That said, I've had pizza that was left out overnight countless times and never got sick. But it's a dangerous game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you served that at a restaurant you'd be in deep poo poo. Throw it out after 3 hours.

That said, I've had pizza that was left out overnight countless times and never got sick. But it's a dangerous game.
Pizza versus a pot of curry are basically night and day in terms of how different they are from a food safety perspective when they're left out overnight. But since this is the Japanese cooking thread, not the food safety thread, I'll just say "the curry is chancy" and leave it there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol it's fine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wouldn't hesitate to eat it for a second.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I would eat the curry but I also lived in a Filipino household where I once realised I ate fish sinigang that had been sitting out on the bench for 3 days.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Growing up we just had a pot of curry sitting on the stove until we worked through it all, never got sick, live tough or die

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it was over 131 degrees before cooling down and covered, it will be fine. Avoid feeding to compromised immune system peeps.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how long could I keep a bottle of sake for cooking? I’m guessing it’s high enough ABV to not go bad (especially in the fridge), but I’m just curious how long people would keep it around.

If you keep it in the fridge it should be fine for as long as you're reasonably going to have it. If you're making Japanese food regularly you'll go through a full size bottle in a month or two. Sake isn't really high enough alcohol to stay good forever like a liquor, but it doesn't really go bad in the fridge, the flavor just changes a bit. If in doubt take a swig first and if it tastes okay, cook with it.

If you don't cook all that often, fortunately, sake comes in 300 ml bottles as well so you don't need a full size.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

drrockso20 posted:

Tbh, I'd probably take a chance, seeing as it's winter. But eat it today and toss the rest.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

they would be brokEN, thanks muchly.

I do not like any Suntory whiskey I have tried. That is only my personal opinion and does not reflect on the actual quality thereof. What can I say, I'm more of a "choke down Gilbey's" girl. I hope everyone has a nice day itt.

If you’re going to be a pedant then you ought to at least spell the name of the drunk properly, and in the case of Japan that means without the E.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

vulturesrow posted:

Think thick bacon slices. Happy to try a Chinese or Korean application if you think that's better. Any recommendations?

Does it have to be a Japanese? This Thai recipe is a: very simple and b: extremely delicious. https://theroamingcook.com/crispy-pork-belly-stir-fry-with-chinese-kale-pad-pak-kana-moo-krob/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

drgitlin posted:

If you’re going to be a pedant then you ought to at least spell the name of the drunk properly, and in the case of Japan that means without the E.

You're that concerned with spelling, but don't know the definition of "pedantic?"

E: or how to spell "drink," upon second glance.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You're that concerned with spelling, but don't know the definition of "pedantic?"

E: or how to spell "drink," upon second glance.

Yay for autocorrect and 6am phone posting, I guess.

Where do you live that pedant isn’t a word? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedant

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't know what your problem is, regarding either your ish with me or your deep struggle with the concept of a definition, but I'm not going to engage with you further.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That was a weirdly enjoyable combination of avatars to see arguing with each other.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Finally found Japanese onions at the market and bought it on a whim. What should I make with it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What are Japanese onions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Negi, I assume?

There aren't really like, negi-focused dishes much. Beef negimaki I suppose, or use them in yakitori.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wouldn't that pretty much just be green onion?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have a wider range of flavor in my experience and usually have a lot more white portion than your typical green onion, but yeah. Similar uses.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fair enough. I know there's probably a lot of different types, but all my local Japanese and Asian grocery stores just label them as green onion and only ever have one variety, so it's a moot point for me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have seeds for like eight cultivars, none of which grew in my garbage yard. :argh:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Negi, I assume?

There aren't really like, negi-focused dishes much. Beef negimaki I suppose, or use them in yakitori.

Correct, thanks. I’ve also been led to understand they are good with duck...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

EVG posted:

Correct, thanks. I’ve also been led to understand they are good with duck...

That's a leek...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's a leek...

His Japanese name is literally “Negi Duck” (Kamonegi). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Could be just because his name is some sort of pun on the Japanese word for "onion", it's usually described as a leek in the games. But that could be a decision by Nintendo's translators so... Eh, it's all good. It's much more clearly a leek in his version in the latest game.

Ok, Pokemon talk ending now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Negi get pretty big, the distinction between negi and leek is fluid at best.

They are a classic duck pairing, yeah. Also they're good on a barbecue, grill 'em until the outside is nice and blackened and peel off the outermost layer, shove the rest in your face. Delicious.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Negi and duck soba is tasty. I've also read references to pickling them. You could do okonomiyaki with a heavy dose of negi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Slice thin and put on top of literally anything is the simplest way to go. Massive piles. All the negi.

I once saw someone at a self-serve soba topping thing cover their soba in so much negi it was just a hill of green with nothing visible beneath. On that day, we became brothers.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
That's basically how I served up my duck and negi soba around New year's. Can't let a giant negi go to waste.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Y'all NEED calçots.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 18, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This will probably be the nicest looking Omurice I'll ever make:

The magic recipe seems to be 1 tbsp demi glace mixed with 1 tbsp soy sauce, and topped with kastu sauce. Still a bit ketchupy in flavor, but in a good way. Sadly I'm pretty awful at the omelette part and it usually turns out scrambled.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Discovered something new today. My dog LOVES Edemame. That makes three of us then :p

Hauki
May 11, 2010

made a bigass pot of curry tonight and it is extremely all right

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Got a copy of The Gaijin Cookbook today. Scanning through it it focuses mostly on protein based dishes, sometimes it's protein featuring vegetables but for all the protestations about Western style diet I saw in the book it looks like it's Japanese food to appeal to Western diets. Over all it seems fine if basic kind of bummed but hopeful for the arrival of the Adam Liaw cookbooks I've ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

captkirk posted:

Got a copy of The Gaijin Cookbook

captkirk posted:

looks like it's Japanese food to appeal to Western diets.

:thunk: I don't know what you were expecting?