Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ditocoaf posted:

What I'm doing here is called "game design fanfic".

:hmmyes:

It's all we can do. TF3 is a reality of a better world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hihohe posted:

Have you done stair surfing?
Or the bunny hop market garden?
Shits crazy and its DEFINITELY not supposed to work that way.

https://youtu.be/ioQaHBgBKCo

bunny hopping is a source classic, actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvDUO42Hys

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I do all the classic sticky jumping turn around jump crouch nonsense when I play Junkrat I’m over watch even though it doesn’t matter

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
What. Explosive jumping is intended. it was unintended (and even this is debated) on quake 1. Tf2 very explicitly mentions it in a lot of parts as a part of soldiers design. What is unintended are side effects like slope surfs but thats less rocket jumping and more going at high velocities on slopes at angles close to parallel to them. Hell, surfing was unintended in goldsrc, but had been somewhat canonized and intentionally kept when making source. What im most worried about a hypoethetical tf3 is engine quirks making the translation not be 1:1 but given surfing is almost the exact same going goldsrc -> source i probably dont have much to worry about.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tf3 better still have process with the exact same soldier rollout imo

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

What. Explosive jumping is intended. it was unintended (and even this is debated) on quake 1. Tf2 very explicitly mentions it in a lot of parts as a part of soldiers design. What is unintended are side effects like slope surfs but thats less rocket jumping and more going at high velocities on slopes at angles close to parallel to them. Hell, surfing was unintended in goldsrc, but had been somewhat canonized and intentionally kept when making source. What im most worried about a hypoethetical tf3 is engine quirks making the translation not be 1:1 but given surfing is almost the exact same going goldsrc -> source i probably dont have much to worry about.

I didn't mean to claim explosive jumping as a concept was unintended. The developers of Team Fortress 2 and its ancestors clearly had it in mind while designing the weapons and classes. The Rocket Jump Waltz ad came out before the Meet the Team series started, iirc!

The specific way your controls affect your motion while midair (i.e. don't touch W or it'll fail) was just kept from the Source engine default, which wasn't designed while thinking about explosive jumps being a core gameplay feature. A revision of midair movement physics could conceivably "fix" explosive jumping to be easier to start learning without ruining the fun parts.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 23, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh yeah the mechanics of airstrafing were deffo something that also comes from goldsrc if im not mistaken, and unintended

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

pgroce posted:

Dang, I think you guys are gonna get me to reinstall this game. At least I can delude myself that I'm not literally the worst player ever in TF2.

We'll never see a TF3, but Overwatch 2 may give us some idea how well one would do, or how/how not to do it.

TF2 is always waiting to welcome you back. I haven't played for several months, but it's just a matter of time before I go on a tear with it again. Game is fundamentally fun in ways that are hard to find elsewhere.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
Did none of y’all play qwtf or tfc? Rocket jumping and conc jumping seem to have been intended, and definitely were in tfc. Bunny hopping was in qwtf and came into tfc at 1.5 but was patched later to put a cap on it. It all seems consistent for the franchise

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

the chief v2 posted:

Did none of y’all play qwtf or tfc? Rocket jumping and conc jumping seem to have been intended, and definitely were in tfc. Bunny hopping was in qwtf and came into tfc at 1.5 but was patched later to put a cap on it. It all seems consistent for the franchise

I played Qwtf and thought only strafe jumping was in it, and discovered after TFC released. Bunny hopping is a source bug.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Im more talking about in terms of tf2 gameplay.

A market gardener is intended to do crit damage while airborne from a rocket jump. So when you land you shouldn't do a crit. But the games mechanics allow you hit the ground and if you frame perfect some jumps you can bank the mid air crit for longer. this lets a soldier jump up and thread through hallways to get crit on snipers who ducked under to avoid the soldier. Im pretty certain when making the Market Gardener they did not intend for that to happen.

The stairs on Hightower were not meant for a soldier to hit with speed and glide up so that the soldier cant essentially get from one side of the map to the other. They made it so classes could run up and down.

Sure the mechanics were there but i dont think they were factored in when maps and weapons were made.The plain rocket jump, maybe. And now with all of them together we still have them around because... well... they are fun.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the chief v2 posted:

Yeah, the unintended discovery of rocket jumping dates all the way back to Doom. From what I can recall was not widely known when Quake was released and Quake did not really incorporate it into its gameplay or level design, but it pretty quickly became widespread and was definitely well established by the time the TF mod came out.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I miss enemy team fortress and fortress forever

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I played Qwtf and thought only strafe jumping was in it, and discovered after TFC released. Bunny hopping is a source bug.

Bunny hopping also exists in Quake 1, but it's true it was discovered very late, probably after HL1 was released. It's not used in the "Quake done Quicker" speedrun movie from 1997, but it is used in the "Quake done Quick with a vengeance" movie from 2000.
Apparently John Carmack learned of it while working on Quake 3 in 1999, he tried patching it out but that ended up ruining the feel of general movement, so it was left in as a "please don't do this" unintended feature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say a TF3 could spin off Trolldier into its own class but that sounds like a hilariously bad idea.

Even worse idea: Trolldier+Spy hybrid.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If they did It'd better have less of a soldier and more of a human cannonball clown aesthetic for the class.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Does the rocket jumper still let you survive the kamikaze taunt? If not can we please get an alternative version of the equalizer that causes no damage on hit but lets you do that? tia

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
here a small pyro video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQRGVMdY_M

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I am irrationally annoyed that you used Metal Man's theme instead of Fire Man's or Heat Man's.

Nice kills, btw.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thank you! i am particularly proud of the one where i juggle the dude with a shotty then reflect his rocket

also metal man is just the catchier tune.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
heres a video: about : the soldier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PMGLPMBgg

i unforts dont have that many good clips but i do have funny weird stuff that happened

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

the granary rollout as soldier is still something I find extremely fun, I love doing it on pub servers because I can beat almost everyone else to the cap

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

the granary rollout as soldier is still something I find extremely fun, I love doing it on pub servers because I can beat almost everyone else to the cap

never really learned rollouts because my pogo game wasnt up to snuff when i tried to, but these days i might be able to. i did do some mean pogos on the weird tube thing between last and second but i assume thats not the route? i should go on yt...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you wanna walljump off it and strafe back around to the door

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

ArfJason posted:

heres a video: about : the soldier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PMGLPMBgg

i unforts dont have that many good clips but i do have funny weird stuff that happened

Heck yeah some new TF2 content. I particularly enjoyed the touching tribute to the scout that threw themselves into a hunstaman arrow for you, and the part where a medic was yelling at you but then was like "oh actually pretty good"

Guess I'll watch the pyro one later.

e: Ok I watched it already. Clutch reflects with the Dragon's Fury are among the finest feelings of the game.

Galaxander fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 27, 2020

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My first unusual unbox! I have absolutely no idea if this is worth anything since I can't find any evidence of one existing with this effect anywhere.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Kaethela posted:

My first unusual unbox! I have absolutely no idea if this is worth anything since I can't find any evidence of one existing with this effect anywhere.

Time for a Hell Waldo loadout.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Time for a Hell Waldo loadout.

Gotta admit, pretty good idea.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man you got so lucky, that's the only good hat in that entire crate.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Heck yeah some new TF2 content. I particularly enjoyed the touching tribute to the scout that threw themselves into a hunstaman arrow for you, and the part where a medic was yelling at you but then was like "oh actually pretty good"

Guess I'll watch the pyro one later.

e: Ok I watched it already. Clutch reflects with the Dragon's Fury are among the finest feelings of the game.

Hahaha thanks. The scout did a noble bodyguard style sacrifice and he probably doesnt even know it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaethela posted:

This is a pro loadout. Congrats on the unbox!

Scorching is usually pretty high on the value chart, but I've never been able to nail down sniper effects because the hatbarons usually want less visible effects on their snipers. Still I'd guess this is a $100-200 hat if you can line up a buyer - otherwise toss it on Steam Market for like $200-250 and see if anyone snags it, and drop price by $10 every other week or so.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kaethela posted:

nice flair

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Kaethela posted:

Lookin' good, and it's currently a 1/1. Going to say start around 85 keys or about $150 to Steam Community Market (for Steam funds) or marketplace.tf (for Paypal funds), faster/lower around 55-65 keys / $100-$120. Basis is that it's a single class meme hat with a good effect like Scorching Flames Dancing Doe, though flashy soldier hats are more popular than flashy sniper hats.

If someone offers you something other than pure keys, ask an experienced trader.

If someone tells you you need to trade it to an "item history bot" or to deposit onto a different site, they're probably running a scam.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 27, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Release LGBT flag colored skins for weapons valve.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:hai:

Hihohe posted:

Release LGBT flag colored skins for weapons valve.
:yeah:

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Kaethela posted:

this is a great loadout!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sniper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9AyP7qldc
its a bit long. sorry. nothing too spectacular unfortunately.

i really want this game to thrive again because editing these is making me miss it a lot

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Tough to make a sniper vid that is fun to watch. Sniping is so boring generally. Neat song tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Tough to make a sniper vid that is fun to watch. Sniping is so boring generally. Neat song tho.

eli-u's entire album is really good, and her dad, Gustavo "El Principe" Pena has some really good stuff.
i like the clips where i get like 4 headshots in the span of 10 seconds but really the good streaks are ones where you get like 11 in 5 minutes which means you gotta cut between the shots. feels great in the moment but alas, it doesnt really translate well into video unless youre like idk fatmagic.

heres the medic, i promise ill stop spamming the thread soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXu0QcN5Qts