Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW the Chainsaw Bear was kind of adorable because of just how happy he was to be there. "CHAINSAW BEAR! :D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW the Chainsaw Bear was kind of adorable because of just how happy he was to be there. "CHAINSAW BEAR! :D"

"MONDAYS AM I RITE???"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I like the idea that as eternal punishment isn't justified for finite sin, then neither should eternal paradise for finite good deeds. So even if you make it to the good place, you have to work to stay there - and that's going to be hard, what with how good everything is already.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im almost certain that if they really are going to the Good Place, it will be incredibly dull and PC because of the counsel.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Im almost certain that if they really are going to the Good Place, it will be incredibly dull and PC because of the counsel.

This is a job for Jason Mendoza.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What famous pre-15th Century people are they gonna look up once they get there? No way Chidi isn't going straight to meet some of his philosophy heroes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

tsob posted:

What famous pre-15th Century people are they gonna look up once they get there? No way Chidi isn't going straight to meet some of his philosophy heroes.

Yeah right, like any of them made it into the good place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet Machiavelli is there somehow

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's not clear, but I think that all the whiteboard gimmes got in. If they hadn't yet I think team cockroach wouldn't be ready to leave. (Or expect Prince to get in before them.) So there should be a small building crowd of new souls...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
it's defintely gonna be a case where as soon as they get there, the place is just a mess because of the new arrivals and all of the Good Place people and humans who got in just sorta freaked out by all of the change.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Taear posted:

The guatama buddha was on Chidis list but he lived before the cutoff point! Surely he's in the good place already?
Or who knows since he was definitely living a lie since a religion is wrong (other than Doug)

it might be a reincarnation joke

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think I'm the only one that thinks that they are not going to the Good Place. They are going to do their test to see if they get into The Good Place, disguised as going to the actual Good Place.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That makes a lot of sense

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Actually that would be a good way to trick them since there's no real way to do the test otherwise without wiping their memories

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of hoping we get some kind of closure with Simone, Brent and John. Like it would be nice if all of a sudden they show up in the Good Place too.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad that we never found out just HOW Simone died and got sent to the bad place.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy A. Person posted:

Actually that would be a good way to trick them since there's no real way to do the test otherwise without wiping their memories

They already did everything to reform The Good Place with the knowledge that they couldn't get in to the Good Place itself after the reformation because they knew about it. I honestly can't see why people want them to have to pass a test so much, because doing so won't change anything for the characters, the Judge or the audience. All of which already know that they have improved under those exact conditions in the past. It's a completely meaningless action. The Judge even explicitly stated Eleanor had improved so much in the past that she could go to the Good Place, even before any kind of reformation of the system or she had decided to do said reformation in the belief she could never go there herself even if she changed because she knew about it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
An important thing to remember is this is a Michael Schur show with two episodes left. There might be some conflict next episode, but the guy loves drawn out happy endings.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

assuming that the final act will place team cockroach against the good place management, ... how do you win against an opponent that wants to let you win? How do you make someone put up a fight when their very essence is to be subservient?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double nine posted:

assuming that the final act will place team cockroach against the good place management, ... how do you win against an opponent that wants to let you win? How do you make someone put up a fight when their very essence is to be subservient?

You steal their jobs? Maybe that's the end, that they end up giving up enjoying eternal paradise in favor of running it because no one else will do it right.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

double nine posted:

By setting the goal as something other than "make these people acknowledge out superiority"? They could win by reforming the Good Place regardless of whether the Good Place committee supports them or not, because doing something that has such wide-reaching consequences for the betterment of others is a good thing irrespective of whether the people formerly running it supported you or not in doing so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

assuming that the final act will place team cockroach against the good place management, ... how do you win against an opponent that wants to let you win?

...Instantly?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe the challenge is gonna be 'how do you make it so the Good Place doesn't automatically defer to the Bad Place in the future'.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maybe the challenge is gonna be 'how do you make it so the Good Place doesn't automatically defer to the Bad Place in the future'.

Seems like if the good place wasn't such push overs the system wouldn't had gotten so out of wack in the first place. The whole point seems to be that improving to be a better person is the point of existence so why shouldn't the good place be a part of that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, the Good Place staff aren't good people. They are total quislings.

Maybe that's the true purpose of Gwen, the mail carrier? She struggled to figure out how to get angry as they were leaving, maybe her role is to teach the other Good Place staff how to stand up for themselves and their wards now that she's figured it out.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 22, 2020

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm sad that we never found out just HOW Simone died and got sent to the bad place.

I don’t know why, but I assumed she died of natural causes, and got sent to the bad place because EVERYONE goes to the bad place.

Bearimy, y’all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Conclusions posted:

I don’t know why, but I assumed she died of natural causes, and got sent to the bad place because EVERYONE goes to the bad place.

Bearimy, y’all.

If that were the case, she’d appear as her old self. Unless they removed her memories of everything past age 25 or so.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Some great phone wallpapers on the official twitter.

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1219742268447318016?s=20

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conclusions posted:

Bearimy, y’all.

I still want the joke to be that war broke out and she became a feudal warlord or something insane like that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Conclusions posted:

Bearimy, y’all.

If we're to go by the history of the show Simone was most likely smashed by something. Maybe the MRI machine tipped over on her somehow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

1glitch0 posted:

If we're to go by the history of the show Simone was most likely smashed by something. Maybe the MRI machine tipped over on her somehow.

Simone is helping someone into/out of the MRI when cowboy boots guy pops in, the MRI magnet rips the spurs off turning them into projectiles. Chidi is ultimately responsible and gets a stomach ache when he learns.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like they’re going to find out the Good Place has slipped completely into gross debauchery, and now they’ll have to fix that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they’re going to find out the Good Place has slipped completely into gross debauchery, and now they’ll have to fix that.

wait

wait there's something wrong with this premise

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Why

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
People have lived their good life on Earth and now they get consequence-free pleasure in eternity. Janet made a bag of cocaine for Mindy, so there’s clearly no limits on what a Janet will provide.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

People have lived their good life on Earth and now they get consequence-free pleasure in eternity. Janet made a bag of cocaine for Mindy, so there’s clearly no limits on what a Janet will provide.

I'm objecting to the idea that there's something to fix

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

silvergoose posted:

I'm objecting to the idea that there's something to fix

Yeah really let people have their fun.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It does bring up an interesting question though. You get to the Good Place and your journey is supposed to be over. You totals are done.

But, for that to be true, you can't possibly hurt anyone else. However, any time you have people together, there's the possibility that they might hurt each other emotionally.

They spent a lot of time last episode with Chidi and Eleanor talking about spending eternity with each other. What if they get to the Good Place and they go "Oh no, you can't be together because there can't be a chance for your points to go down!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
That's kind of in the direction I thought they were gonna go. I thought the Bad Place would argue that if humans can get better, then it stands to reason they can also get worse, and that people in the Good Place should also have to undergo testing to make sure paradise hasn't killed their sense of right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The Good Place will turn out to be bad, but in the end they'll realize that everyone should eventually get in to the Disco Place.