Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, I've never gamed with people who've wasted my time like that. The most extreme I've seen was like, when I'd play something like Fields of Arle and my opponent would attempt some peculiar strategy that didn't really make sense, just to see if it'd work.

Edit: I did get salty once while playing Caylus after getting provosted so much, but pretty sure that game just does that. I called it, not so much because I was having a terrible time, but because I knew there was no way I was catching up at all.

Also once when playing Gaia Project. It was the first time we had played, and after checking the rules out, picked races more or less blindly. Which would've been okay, except the bonus objectives were both related to gaia-forming, which I was bad at, and which my two opponents both got bonuses from, or for. So the entire game I just felt handicapped while they moved up the tracks. Also we did science rules wrong or something? That really soured my thoughts on the game for a while, probably should give it another go.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Morpheus posted:

Yeah that's pretty justified, especially since what they were doing would've made it impossible to win, I'm pretty sure - unless they fulfill all those tickets, all one player would need to do would be to run out of trains, and the game ends with their hands full of negative points.

It's a really degenerate strategy, and yes, what happens is one player hoards train cards until they're gone and starts trickling them out slowly while the other players are forced to draw destination tickets and rack up significant negative penalties

It's fun to joke about as a strategy but if anyone actually did that in a game I'd never play that game or with those players.

My sister played hundreds of games of TTR on her phone, and is so un-fun to play against now. She had played enough to memorize the routes and point values of the destination tickets. By deduction, two or three turns into each player laying routes she would know what destination tickets they were holding. One player is playing with (practically) perfect information of what everyone else has in their pockets, and that's hard to counter.

So we play better games instead :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FulsomFrank posted:

Pax Pamir is a nightmare to teach let alone learn. Lots of patience and forgiveness required. I think the last time I taught it I was still explaining the turn structure and what symbols indicated what and how allegiances worked up to the last bloody turn. More than willing to accept I did a poor job teaching it but God help me, I swear the one guy was being deliberately obtuse in some dramatic display of confusion.

i was teaching once while also trying to shuffle all the cards and right as i finished my roomate walked in and wanted in

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We have two in our group that complain Everytime we play something more complicated then exploding kittens but refuse to even look at a rulebook and am on their phone the entire time someone's trying to teach them. We can't quite bump them because they are married to others in the group.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Morpheus posted:

lol strategy, in Secret Hitler?

Here's the strategy: If you're hitler, don't do anything until someone elects you because you're quiet and didn't vote badly.

If you're not hitler, well, good luck doing nothing the whole game.

Gonna just quote him on this, because I've heard it so often, on what to do when you get the policies handed to you as chancellor:

"If you're a liberal, there should be no deliberation. Just play the blue liberal tile. If you hesitate people will think you're a fascist. So as a fascist you will want to think quick, too."

He will usually be interrupted by someone pointing out liberals may want to play fascist policies sometimes, or that as a new player it's okay to hesitate or ask what something means on the board if you're gonna activate it. And someone telling him to shut the gently caress up and just play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

John Dyne posted:

Gonna just quote him on this, because I've heard it so often, on what to do when you get the policies handed to you as chancellor:

"If you're a liberal, there should be no deliberation. Just play the blue liberal tile. If you hesitate people will think you're a fascist. So as a fascist you will want to think quick, too."

He will usually be interrupted by someone pointing out liberals may want to play fascist policies sometimes, or that as a new player it's okay to hesitate or ask what something means on the board if you're gonna activate it. And someone telling him to shut the gently caress up and just play.

It's never worth it playing a fascist policy as a liberal. You get new abilities? Great, so do the fascists, and now they're one step closer to winning.

Either you get a ton of liberal policies and win, or fascists get their policies out and you get those abilities anyway.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Worst thing I've done consistently is be visibly annoyed at people repeatedly taking really long turns (or worse, finishing their turn but not clearly indicating that their turn is done so play can continue.)

I don't chew anyone out or anything, but I know that I do a bad job of hiding my frustration in those times. I need to work on finding a constructive way to express that. So far my answer has just been to avoid meetups where those players are prevalent, or avoid heavy games at more than 3P with them.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I once got 5 Tribes (and game I wanted to try) with Arabian Nights (a 'storytelling' game I was avoiding at all costs. The guy started explaining and like 10 minutes later it dawned on me what game it really was. I texted my wife under the table that I had made a mistake and was going to bow out because this game was not going to bout kind and would take way too loving long with this guy. She was ll, "you hate people who do that." I agreed but still bowed out and told him, 'yeah this isn't our kind of game, sorry." He was pissed and it was sort of a lovely thing to do, but like 4 hours later he was still playing Arabian Nights with the people who quickly replaced us and we had played like 3 games in that time, so I feel just fine with my decision.

I do get pissy with people that just pass their cards really quickly in drafting games instead of waiting for others to select their cards first. This always causes an issue with someone getting their turn hosed up, and I always get snippy if it pointed out but people still rush.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

enigmahfc posted:

I once got 5 Tribes (and game I wanted to try) with Arabian Nights (a 'storytelling' game I was avoiding at all costs. The guy started explaining and like 10 minutes later it dawned on me what game it really was. I texted my wife under the table that I had made a mistake and was going to bow out because this game was not going to bout kind and would take way too loving long with this guy. She was ll, "you hate people who do that." I agreed but still bowed out and told him, 'yeah this isn't our kind of game, sorry." He was pissed and it was sort of a lovely thing to do, but like 4 hours later he was still playing Arabian Nights with the people who quickly replaced us and we had played like 3 games in that time, so I feel just fine with my decision.

I do get pissy with people that just pass their cards really quickly in drafting games instead of waiting for others to select their cards first. This always causes an issue with someone getting their turn hosed up, and I always get snippy if it pointed out but people still rush.

I always pass the cards quickly but I never want anyone to interpret that as me putting pressure on other people to go sooner. I just get hosed up if I sit there and stare at the cards after I've made a decision.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

My favourite balance between speed and politeness/clarity is to never pass cards if somebody already has cards waiting for them. So you don't build up a queue/train but can still make a quick move and then think about the next pick.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

enigmahfc posted:

I know people who have gotten roped into Arabian Nights and deeply regretted it. Of course they weren't told about the length of the game by the teacher, he was happy to find fresh meat.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The first time I played Catan, the teacher told me to just place my starting settlements down wherever, and then explained how you get resources after. I'd settled next to the highest numbers, because I figured they were the best.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Really you should just obey zone based drafting. you have three zones, left and right are shared with the people there and the zone that is in your hand. there should only be one pile of cards in any given zone.

Piling someone up two or three deep ain't getting you done much faster.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll be happy when I find a group of people who are alright to decide on a meaty game a week before and then all agree to read the rulebook in their own time, so that we're all ready on the day to smash it out with minimal downtime.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I know people who have gotten roped into Arabian Nights and deeply regretted it. Of course they weren't told about the length of the game by the teacher, he was happy to find fresh meat.

Arabian Nights is fine, we've never had a game take that long really, maybe 3 hours max. It's also not what I'd call a game. I think it was may our 5th or 6th game before we found out you can die.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

SoftNum posted:

Really you should just obey zone based drafting. you have three zones, left and right are shared with the people there and the zone that is in your hand. there should only be one pile of cards in any given zone.

Piling someone up two or three deep ain't getting you done much faster.
This is what had happened to them to be fair. They were looking at a hand, had a hand in their left zone and the person to their left had chosen their 3rd card and was waiting to pass again.

It's not a big deal, but taking almost as many minutes as they had cards pushed it a bit. Especially after they had suggested somebody else make "fun choices and not over analyse it too much" in the last round. Still no excuse for getting frustrated with something so minor.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Krazyface posted:

The first time I played Catan, the teacher told me to just place my starting settlements down wherever, and then explained how you get resources after. I'd settled next to the highest numbers, because I figured they were the best.

That pretty much happened to us, but it was late, he was high, and we sucked at absorbing what was actually shown about it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are the rules in TtR really that if you can't draw trains you must draw tickets?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Arabian Nights is a lot of fun with a few drinks It's not like you particularly have to pay attention to any complex rules or anything, and it's usually pretty funny provided you haven't got someone that whines about being in prison. Enjoying the stupid poo poo happening to other people is just as fun as stupid poo poo happening to me, imo. The group I host at my place every week or two enjoy it as a once in a while timekiller.

My nine year old nephew is really into Catan. I bought it for him for Christmas after he played it at my house and became obsessed with it. My brother is pleased about this because it means my nephew spends less time wanting to play videogames by himself and more time being social with friends and family over a board game. My seven year old niece joins in and just about manages to play by herself with not too much help. The biggest problem is that my nephew is such an incredibly nice kid that he'll always offer terrible trades that help other players way more than they help him. He says he just wants other people to have fun even if it's at his expense, which is absolutely adorable.

Then we'll play Bomberman on a console and he becomes a hilarious trash talking little git.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think you need to tell people what it is, that's all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are the rules in TtR really that if you can't draw trains you must draw tickets?

Yeah. Draw train cards, play train cards, or draw tickets. You may not pass

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mr. Squishy posted:

... how did you end up with no train cards left? Is that common in TtR?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

canyoneer posted:

Yeah. Draw train cards, play train cards, or draw tickets. You may not pass

what a horrible meta those players must've been in that that became the prevalent strategy

like all you need is like 2 of the 4 to go "yeah lets play trains and connect them and rush this ending as fast as they can pick up cards" and the whole loving thing falls apart; they all had to decide to wallow in sorrow for 2 hours

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wow I just learned the founder of Winsome games is a loving weirdo who has created multiple online personae to pretend that he has a crew of different designers, one of these fake designers being a Chinese man wtf.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

Wow I just learned the founder of Winsome games is a loving weirdo who has created multiple online personae to pretend that he has a crew of different designers, one of these fake designers being a Chinese man wtf.

You *just* learned about John Bohrer???

His account on bgg is banned for being really loving stupid awful doxxy to someone who played one of his games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

There's more to him than that. He's banned from BGG because he thought some dude owed him money and wasn't paying, so he doxxed dude on BGG and then discovered he had the wrong dude. He's been a piece of poo poo since rec.games.board

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
dang i just learned about john bohrer too, just now. that's pretty messed up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess it's because I've never really sought out games he's designed or bothered looking him up so now I'm extra smug satisfied that I hate CHEX so much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crackbone posted:

... how did you end up with no train cards left? Is that common in TtR?

I've never seen it happen, and I've played enough games to instantly recognize "there's one more turn in the game and I'm two plays away from completing my tickets" groan from across a game room.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

I guess it's because I've never really sought out games he's designed or bothered looking him up so now I'm extra smug satisfied that I hate CHEX so much.

wow this is awful, now i don't know if you or john bohrer is worse.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Qubee posted:

I'll be happy when I find a group of people who are alright to decide on a meaty game a week before and then all agree to read the rulebook in their own time, so that we're all ready on the day to smash it out with minimal downtime.

I have recently found this group of people and can confirm that they are the best.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Morpheus posted:

"Okay here's the new game to play. The objective is...to win. Anyway let's continue."

But yeah I know what you mean. It gives a good frame of reference for the other actions that you're about to describe, something that (presumably) they're all working towards.

Yes exactly that. Sure I mostly use it as part of my standard game-teaching script, but I also like the joke.

It's been reinforced for me, because when I'm being taught a game and I haven't been told the primary victory conditions/game end conditions (the most important part), I find it really bothersome. Like sure all these actions but what's the point? It's the context for everything you do in the game!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fellis posted:

Yes exactly that. Sure I mostly use it as part of my standard game-teaching script, but I also like the joke.

It's been reinforced for me, because when I'm being taught a game and I haven't been told the primary victory conditions/game end conditions (the most important part), I find it really bothersome. Like sure all these actions but what's the point? It's the context for everything you do in the game!

I tend to make sure people understand the game end conditions and how victory is then determined pretty early in a rules explanation as well, and then I come back to it at the end. I think it helps people see the point of the rules as they hear them. Also, in some games, manipulating when the game ends is a key part of a winning strategy.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I think you should always anchor the discussion with the objective but the degree to which you start there and work backwards or drop that anchor then go back to the start (and how much detail you explain) has to depend on the game.

Modern art I think you teach almost entirely backwards (most money wins, scoring process at each round, how the artists are valued, how each round works how each specific auction works), but I think lots of other games are best taught forward via the process (spirit island we win if we exterminate all the colonists or they run away (not explaining how fear cards work) teach the card icons, process of turn etc)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I always start my teaches with 'the way to victory is to 'make sure I win' :v: They know I'm joking, I never win :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My experience with TTR is that everyone draws cards and has an enormous hand until they have the right combinations they need to finish their tickets, or it looks like they might need to play a route early to avoid getting locked out, or they've just amassed enough to play the longest leg on the board and don't want to get sniped. And then once the floodgates open it turns into a real thunderdome of everyone trying to get their trains down at once.

Since everyone's drawing two cards a turn, it doesn't seem possible for one or two players to monopolize the entire deck of cards?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It only happens if people aren't playing attention.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Morpheus posted:

lol strategy, in Secret Hitler?

Here's the strategy: If you're hitler, don't do anything until someone elects you because you're quiet and didn't vote badly.

If you're not hitler, well, good luck doing nothing the whole game.

This. I've played one game of Secret Hitler, with 9 or so people. I was liberal, and a couple of turns in the presidency passes to me, so I nominate my neighbor as chancellor since we've basically been ignored the whole game and I figured it would be fair to the two of us to get involved. The group votes against the choice since we'd been too quiet (I'm usually very quiet in social games by nature) so the job passed on. I did nothing for the rest of the game.

Played On Mars for the first time tonight and had a blast. Ended up in 2nd (of 3) though I misplayed my executive action on my last turn and lost a few points. I also misunderstood the scientist scoring (they give you points for the next building type, so my shelter scientist scored for mines) and lost some points there, too. All in all it was a great experience, definitely my favorite Lacerda game I've played.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

i was teaching once while also trying to shuffle all the cards and right as i finished my roomate walked in and wanted in

Tell em he can watch the first game and get in on the second imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The worst thing about John Bohrer is that he claims one of the pseudonyms he used for games he designed is "Martin Wallace". As if there's no difference between making up fake personas and claiming the work of a real, well-known designer is actually his.