Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think he's on record as saying he intended it for to look explicitly like "The Cage," with the muted-color turtleneck uniforms and such, and ship design elements based on TOS.

:psyduck:
And yet he still decided to make the current uniforms from an absurdly expensive specialty fabric only available from one vendor in Switzerland or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Anyone know what time Picard is going up?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Discovery episodes usually drop around 7 or 8 CST, my guess is Picard will be similar. No midnight releases for some reason, gotta pretend this is still broadcast TV.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Nerdist says it's going to be midnight (PST :rolleye: )

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1220040907778490369?s=20

I mean, FWIW.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

angerbeet posted:

I mean, FWIW.

That’s surprising but kinda welcome. Wonder if All Access’s servers will handle the new traffic or hiccup like Disney +’s when The Mandalorian dropped?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And yet he still decided to make the current uniforms from an absurdly expensive specialty fabric only available from one vendor in Switzerland or something.

That was a Berg and Harberts decision. Fuller had been fired long before they got into costuming.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Berg and Harberts seemed to love going over budget.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

pyrotek posted:

Nope.

Apparently the free month runs after the one week trial if you have used it yet, and the episode premieres at 12:01AM PST.

Aw poo poo. Did CBS' servers ever get better? I know in the past people said it was better to go through Amazon. I constantly had CBS switch me to lower res or buffer during the STD episodes. It's not on my side either, I have 200mb/s service.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No advance screening for critics? Is that something people do in TV?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Arglebargle III posted:

No advance screening for critics? Is that something people do in TV?

Review copies were sent out. The reviews are embargoed, which is actually pretty common in streaming TV.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see. So reviews should go up tomorrow morning?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I can't imagine they'd be embargoed past the premier, yeah.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Actually I just went back and checked out the imdb reviews, aside from the couple of 10s and 1s there's a single review from someone who's actually seen the show. It's a positive review at least...

There's a lot more than one up there now, and almost all of the negative reviewers are either transparently trolling or are pretty obviously imbeciles. I gotta say I am feeling extremely optimistic at this point.

angerbeet posted:

I mean, FWIW.

:tviv: gently caress yeah! CBS itself is confirming this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here it comes!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bunch of Trek youtubers are doing videos about why they love Picard, and god drat seeing Mesure of a Man though the eyes of a transperson makes that episode way more impactful

https://youtu.be/bvH0V5ZF9pw

EDIT I probably should add the entire Playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgH0AbtWXcMyvK3JyTw4yE-hHDBps_WTP

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2020

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wonder if Crave will also throw it up around midnight like they did (inconsistently) with Short Treks, or wait until sometime around the CTV airing tomorrow night like they did (inconsistently?) with Disco.

:canada:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seem to recall the costumers for Disco explaining how expensive and rare the base fabric was on top of all the tiny deltas being 3D printed and kind of taunting cosplayers that they wouldnt easily be able to replicate them.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/771872524619489280

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/774062077811929090

Fuller's version was going to be pretty different.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fuller is a crazy genius. I can understand why they decided to get rid of him, but I wish they would have kept him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay friends, dipping out since I wont be able to watch this for about 10 hours, here's hoping for some magic!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Okay friends, dipping out since I wont be able to watch this for about 10 hours, here's hoping for some magic!

Okay, they're gone. Everyone post about how Picard runs around naked in the first scene pointing at his dick and screaming "Make THIS so!". Man, that was sure nutty wasn't it?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 23, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Will we need to use spoiler tags in this thread?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pyrotek posted:

Will we need to use spoiler tags in this thread?

A lot people in Canada won't be seeing it until it airs on TV, or probably later than that, so... yes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, throw them up for a couple of days at least.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pyrotek posted:

Fuller is a crazy genius. I can understand why they decided to get rid of him, but I wish they would have kept him.

I can't believe anyone hires Fuller these days without knowing what they're getting ahead of time. "This guy is a legendary showrunner of unique vision with deadline and budget issues to match, but THIS TIME we'll bring him to heel without compromising his artistic integrity!" :ughh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it could be great if they gave him once of the side Trek series he could delay all over now they've decided 'gently caress it let's just make half a dozen'

gently caress since he's the TOS fanboy let him make Star Trek Pike

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot people in Canada won't be seeing it until it airs on TV, or probably later than that, so... yes?

Also it's not showing in Europe until Friday on Amazon as I understand it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it could be great if they gave him once of the side Trek series he could delay all over now they've decided 'gently caress it let's just make half a dozen'

gently caress since he's the TOS fanboy let him make Star Trek Pike

Don't toy with my heart like this

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Show is up a little early!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mehall posted:

Also it's not showing in Europe until Friday on Amazon as I understand it.

Well that's mildly disappointing.

Gonna tune out for the next day or so. I usually don't give a poo poo about spoilers but I'd like to see go into at least the first episode blind.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

The credit sequence is closer to that than I would have guessed. They definitely don't use the TNG/TMP theme except for the sting at the end.

The main girl reminds me way too much of River Tam.

Bruce Maddox has a theory that Data's entire code, including of his memory can be reconstituted from a single positron neuron? OK... that seems like a stretch. If nothing else, I'm glad that they specifically rejected the B4 route of bringing Data back in the show.

Overall, it was alright. I'm not particularly intrigued by the story, but at least it didn't turn me off immediately like the first couple episodes of Discovery. At least it is taking its time and didn't feel the need to bring everything together in the first episode.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Some iffy plot stuff, but man it’s refreshing to have a modern Trek show that actually takes its time to breathe and let characters have nice little moments instead of rushing from action scene to action scene.

The show is also way more cinematic than I expected.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

One more thing: the writing wasn't very quippy at all. I hope it stays like that, but for some reason the crew for the ship look like they'll be quip machines, possibly even in some cases literally.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just spitballing here:

So I’m gonna guess Maddox is working for what’s left of the Tal Shiar/Romulan Government either willingly or under duress. The Romulans must have recovered some bits of Data and know they can use the method Alison Pill described to make an army of Dahj android soldiers. I’ll also guess based on the Cube reveal and what we’ve seen in trailers that they’re also tinkering with Borg tech, possibly including Hugh’s group of freed drones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Is this the first time we’ve actually seen the Daystrom Institute?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just spitballing here:

So I’m gonna guess Maddox is working for what’s left of the Tal Shiar/Romulan Government either willingly or under duress. The Romulans must have recovered some bits of Data and know they can use the method Alison Pill described to make an army of Dahj android soldiers. I’ll also guess based on the Cube reveal and what we’ve seen in trailers that they’re also tinkering with Borg tech, possibly including Hugh’s group of freed drones.

I had the same exact thoughts and if the writers don’t gently caress this up it’s gonna be a good show.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Who know where it will go, but I am pleasantly optimistic that this seems like a story that's a rejection of 'hard decisions' style drama. Picard explicitly rejected it and the show is clearly playing that as the right choice.

Picard is in an interesting spot, and they've done a good job of giving him a moral high ground but also being beaten down and a bit cowed to the world. The futile resignation of his commission and the recognition that he'd stopped fighting were nice balances to his anger at the Federation for pulling inward.

Not a lot of personality as of yet, but I like the idea of Picard's french winery Romulan friends.

So far the action has felt reasonable for the setup. I didn't feel weird about the android fight scenes because they weren't drawn out. I'm also glad there was absolutely no attempt at Action Picard. It felt like good restraint. Data having a daughter doesn't feel weird because of the tie back to Lal.

I'm worried that things get stupidly messy with the romulans and the Mars thing, but we'll have to see where they go with it. The twin androids thing is a little hard to justify as necessary, and realizing that 'them' meant that there were two of the same specific android is a stretch, but I'll let them have a gimme on it.

The editing of the conversation between Picard and robot woman at the Chateau Picard was weirdly jumpy.

For a minute the Data positronic brain recovery thing made me think that Star Trek may have finally moved on from copying The Wrath of Khan and now it's time for The Search for Spock.

You never know how things are going to go, but this is the most hopeful I've been after watching a Star Trek thing for a lot of years. The theme of the show as it's been presented so far feels right for Picard as a character

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My god, I watched it and it’s Star Trek that’s post TNG, GIVES US ROMULANS, evolves the aesthetics, and isn’t grimdark? I’ll take twelve! Excited to see where this goes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

T.C. posted:

For a minute the Data positronic brain recovery thing made me think that Star Trek may have finally moved on from copying The Wrath of Khan and now it's time for The Search for Spock.

Given how they made a point to say Data may live on in some form and how easy it would be to create a new flesh and blood body, I’d say there’s a 90% chance Pinocchio finally becomes a real boy by the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Holy moley that was fantastic! loving FINALLY, some quality Star Trek again. The drought has finally ended. If I wasn't so drat tired I probably would wept with joy a bit. Looks like most of those 10s on imdb are authentic.

E: Whoa check out the ratings for the individual episode.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 23, 2020