Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Didn't the latest Imperator patch get rid of the tiered alliance system?

I really dig Imperator's new attrition system for armies though and it'd be neat to see how that'd work in EU4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

PittTheElder posted:

e: Oh poo poo, if a subscription service means that all the DLC poo poo can be properly designed into the main game rather than silo'd off, I'm all in.

I could see this work for a new game, as in you have a base game that is initially sold for some sum but all the additions are free. Than in a year or two you get massive expansions that work on subscription but the base game and everything added to it becomes free. Maybe those initial buyers get special models or something. Then devs basically support just two versions of the game: free one just mostly gets patches and payed one gets all the features.

There's hope they'll do something like that with Imperator which didn't get any real payed DLCs. But yeah, it looks like with EU4 they're going to make the base game free same way as with CK2 and allow you to buy all the expansions individually or get a subscription. The other thing is that Steam doesn't really have subscription-based games, doesn't it?.. So either they make some deal with Valve or it will be Paradox Store only feature.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ilitarist posted:

The other thing is that Steam doesn't really have subscription-based games, doesn't it?

There are a few subscription-based games that allow you to manage/pay your subscription via Steam, so that shouldn't be an issue.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Dora 2 has a subscription system that is managed through steam but it mostly affects cosmetic content.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was a fun achievement. As Dahomey (1/1/1 OPM), remove all non-fetishist countries from the Niger and Sahel regions before 1500. After building yourself up enough, the hardest part is actually maintaining alliances with all the other fetishist countries so you can feed them Sunni provinces, while also not blocking yourself off from the Sunnis. And your allies will constantly try to drag you into stupid wars and make the dumbest peace offers. Also you start off surrounded by other fetishists, so you have to choose who you're going to attack wisely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kaabu really has the best colour of any tag.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got this in the humble bundle and im having a real rough time of it, i think ive figured out the basics of mechanics but seemingly every nation of the world keeps ganging up on me.

i make allies, but they barely participate while enemies always seem to have 1 or 2 friends ready to help. then when i eat up a few countries my ae grows so much half the world attacks me. playing as the ottomans i make sure to split my wars between religions and wait for a fair amount of time ebtween them but it doesnt seem to help all that much. but when i look at the ai ottomans they seem to have way more troops then im capable of, with active allies and easily take on bigger armies then they have when i have to make sure to have a general and more troops. what gives?

also revolts always seem to be growing, even after coring and converting which doesnt help either

ive played most of the other current gen paradox games, but those didnt have 17 expansions so there wasnt a decade of patch changes and new mechanics making google advice less useful

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Davincie posted:

i got this in the humble bundle and im having a real rough time of it, i think ive figured out the basics of mechanics but seemingly every nation of the world keeps ganging up on me.

i make allies, but they barely participate while enemies always seem to have 1 or 2 friends ready to help. then when i eat up a few countries my ae grows so much half the world attacks me. playing as the ottomans i make sure to split my wars between religions and wait for a fair amount of time ebtween them but it doesnt seem to help all that much. but when i look at the ai ottomans they seem to have way more troops then im capable of, with active allies and easily take on bigger armies then they have when i have to make sure to have a general and more troops. what gives?

also revolts always seem to be growing, even after coring and converting which doesnt help either

ive played most of the other current gen paradox games, but those didnt have 17 expansions so there wasnt a decade of patch changes and new mechanics making google advice less useful

AI participation: there are numerous possible causes for this, so it's hard to say exactly, but they may have unrest at home or be too intimidated by whoever you called them in against to be willing to engage them. Who are your allies?

Aggressive expansion: are you taking stuff you don't have cores/claims on? Are you taking stuff from secondary participants (i.e. allies of whoever you declared on)? Don't do either of those things until you're more familiar with the game. Also, after the war you can improve relations with countries that have high AE against you (either manually or you can use the diplomacy macro builder to set your diplomats to auto-improve with outraged countries, but that's less optimal). You can see how much AE a peace deal will incur and with whom in the peace deal window, so you can actually start improving during the war in anticipation. Positive relations and high prestige cause AE to decay faster. Any country with more than 50 AE toward you is eligible to join a coalition against you.

Rebellions: provinces you've recently conquered has a 'separatism' modifier that starts out at 15 and decays by 0.5 per year and directly translates into unrest. You can see it in the tooltip if you hover over the unrest number in the province window. This is just a part of the game. You can have your armies on suppress rebels (it's a button in the army window) to give you -5 unrest but expect to fight at least one rebellion in newly conquered territory, especially early in the game before you've gotten any ideas that help with unrest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a defensive call to arms is a +30 bonus so unless they're in mega debt they'll probably join

jumping back and forth between religions is the opposite of what you want to do, now the christians and muslims are mad at you instead of just the christians or just the muslims

seperatists will usually always fire, hard to prevent that. humanism makes it much more bearable

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

aha yes, i was always grabbing as much territory as possible from everyone after winning a war. ill stop doing that. i read online that juggling both was smarter, but if the opposite is true i wont do that anymore either.

i had allied in my various runs 2-3 of bohemia, crimea (subject), papal states, ajam, nogai and i think france once

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Juggling both is better because the Muslims don't care as much that Christian land is taken and vice versa. It's not as great when you're trying to make friends so both sides aren't out to murder you in turn.

However you still have to deal with aggressive expansion in either case and *that* generally is about keeping it below 50 with countries that have a negative opinion of you. Once you're more experienced with coalitions and tactically starting wars to maintain a rolling truce with everybody that hates you (they can't join coalitions until the truce is up), is around the time you can ignore AE.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Davincie posted:

aha yes, i was always grabbing as much territory as possible from everyone after winning a war. ill stop doing that. i read online that juggling both was smarter, but if the opposite is true i wont do that anymore either.

i had allied in my various runs 2-3 of bohemia, crimea (subject), papal states, ajam, nogai and i think france once

Juggling is better if you're doing small wars. You can take 50 AE with a bunch of people of one religion, then go fight some other religion group while that decays, and in this way avoid coalitions altogether. But if you're going to conquer a lot of land (ie. you're willing to face and break Coalitions), then you should do as much of it as possible against one religious group at a time to limit the amount of people who would join a coalition.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Davincie posted:

Important clarification: In most situations, claims do not reduce AE. While you should generally avoid taking territory off your enemy's allies, feel free to take as much unclaimed land as you afford to from your main target. The main penalty for this is slightly higher core creation cost, which can add up but is not the serious setback coalitions can be.

And as the others have said, -50 is the limit you should aim to stay below, however, if a country has positive overall relations with you, they will never join a coalition against you. This means you can go over the 50 AE soft cap with certain countries as long as you're improving relations with them. This is a bit more of an advanced strategy, as it involves a lot of planning in advance, laying the diplomatic groundwork required to make everyone in a region like you before you take land from someone. But it's important to do this if you want to expand rapidly. Some countries will never like you, but you can keep quite a few countries out of coalitions this way. Note that bringing your relations to a positive value after a country has already joined a coalition won't bring them back out of it. This will only prevent them from joining in the first place.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 24, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the most important thing about managing AE is that countries can't join a coalition against you while they have a peace treaty with you.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Davincie posted:

Here are some tips:

If you have all the dlc, give all the Christian/orthodox land to the dhimmi and raise jannisaries from the provinces. This will give you buffed infantry that costs no manpower to raise (but is more expensive to maintain). When the age of discovery ends, you can always disband the jannisaries to avoid the disasters once the first age ends. This helps you avoid the early game manpower crunch.

Invite the hanabli(?) religious scholar that gives you -10% ae. This will mean an alliance with some minor sunni nation in the arabian peninsula. As stated before, you don't have to grab all the land at once. Also consider getting an improved relations advisor and sending out diplomats to improve relations with outraged countries (that aren't rivals).

You don't have to conquer everyone. Most of the minor Beyliks: Dulkadir, Ramazan, and Candar (not sure about the last one) can be allied, royal married, buttered up, diplomatically vassalized, and intergrated into your empire in short order if you start on day one. This means no AE, no loss of manpower, and for a short time a bunch of vassals that will aid you in your wars.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1220643705591357445

A Good Tweet (notice what requirement is missing)

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 24, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Now that everything can be trade companied, moving your capital to another continent is probably a whole lot less important.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the most important thing about managing AE is that countries can't join a coalition against you while they have a peace treaty truce with you.

Or if they can't see your capital province I'm pretty sure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Now that everything can be trade companied, moving your capital to another continent is probably a whole lot less important.
Unless they break "Asia" down into some super-regions it will still maybe be worthwhile to move your capital out of Asia? If I'm Indonesia or Japan I would probably want to be able to TC India and Arabia, but right now you cannot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would be in favour of dividing Asia into East Asia/India and SEA/Middle East. And also put North Africa into Middle East.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

finally... some respect for true one tags.....

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would be in favour of dividing Asia into East Asia/India and SEA/Middle East. And also put North Africa into Middle East.

Yeah, East Asia, Central Asia, India, and the Middle East should probably all be different continents. Though honestly I can't remember what continents even matter for except for TCs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Whether provinces are "overseas" if they don't have a direct land connection, I believe.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Also one of the Age of Discovery objectives is to be present on two different continents.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Whether provinces are "overseas" if they don't have a direct land connection, I believe.
What does overseas actually do these days? Apart from TC's, CN's and... blocking coring through uncored provinces?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well Russia has a 20 year old on the throne without an heir, is the #1 great power, and we share a dynasty, nothing will really happen with th-

Nevermind. :stare:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

russia is the #1 great power really ??

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

oddium posted:

russia is the #1 great power really ??

Ottomans are INSANELY slow this game, it's not like they're weak or anything they just...aren't doing much, the Mamluks don't even have great allies and the Ottomans have 3 other allies and Me, also Ming exploding helped Russia's former #1 greatness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
why are you not using a map mod to make it not look bad

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

why are you not using a map mod to make it not look bad

I have not seen any map mod that looks better than the vanilla one. The modded maps all go for some pseudo old-fashioned styles, but none is appropriate for the whole period covered.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Because all the map mods look ugly as sin to me. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The best map mods are the ones that fix the messed up projection. Visually they are a mixed bag.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i use the one arumba uses and it's p good

if i could disable the desaturation effect of winter i would but the mod i found doesn't actually do anything

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

I have not seen any map mod that looks better than the vanilla one. The modded maps all go for some pseudo old-fashioned styles, but none is appropriate for the whole period covered.

I'm with you as far as the "Historically Authentic Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Videtur" maps but a person has to have some standards :colbert:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I tried to play Muscovy into Russia as my 3rd game, 1st on Normal difficulty, after doing Portugal and then Brandenburg into Prussia. I got absolutely annihilated around 1515 by simultaneous and repeated war decs from both Poland-Lithuania and Kazan.

I'm thinking I need something easier, maybe more econ focused? Maybe something to help me figure out the goofy rear end trade system? Any recommendations?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ELI PORTER posted:

I tried to play Muscovy into Russia as my 3rd game, 1st on Normal difficulty, after doing Portugal and then Brandenburg into Prussia. I got absolutely annihilated around 1515 by simultaneous and repeated war decs from both Poland-Lithuania and Kazan.

I'm thinking I need something easier, maybe more econ focused? Maybe something to help me figure out the goofy rear end trade system? Any recommendations?

Chickenshit hypercapitalist England comes to mind. Abandon and surrender any time someone threatens your continental holdings, starting with the Maine event and continuing from there. If you can befriend some combo of Burgundy and Castile and Austria then maybe bully the low countries (while fleeing France) for their sweet Channel trade power, but otherwise ignore those despotic continentals.

Otherwise without bothering to gently caress with the continent, you start very safe and in a very good position to start loving around in both the Americas and Asia while still having enough money to build back at home and see why it's better to gently caress America and Asia. You'll obviously want to take Scotland and Ireland but those are easy as hell wars.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 25, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ELI PORTER posted:

I'd give it another try, it's not an ultra tough start. Pol-Lit is tough, and it's probably worth trying to keep Poland as a friend for as long as possible, especially as a newer player. Kazan should be no threat to you whatsoever though, you should have a compelling mil tech advantage over them almost immediately. Like within 5 years.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

PittTheElder posted:

I'd give it another try, it's not an ultra tough start. Pol-Lit is tough, and it's probably worth trying to keep Poland as a friend for as long as possible, especially as a newer player. Kazan should be no threat to you whatsoever though, you should have a compelling mil tech advantage over them almost immediately. Like within 5 years.

When I can actually field an army, Kazan's armies aren't an issue. It's just that I'm so completely depleted of manpower and money from fighting Poland-Lithuania that Kazan can just run pretty much unopposed in my South and East.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ELI PORTER posted:

When I can actually field an army, Kazan's armies aren't an issue. It's just that I'm so completely depleted of manpower and money from fighting Poland-Lithuania that Kazan can just run pretty much unopposed in my South and East.

That's a bit of an RNJesus problem- there are times when you can just casually run roughshod over two continents and Poland/Commonwealth won't even look at you, and times where they will run straight for your guts.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ELI PORTER posted:

You could try playing England into Great Britain for a campaign where you eventually make infinite money. There are a couple of difficulties with this start, most notably the Surrender of Maine event, but there are ways to win that war, lose it strategically, or even bypass it completely it you don't mind exploiting game mechanics.

But most importantly you have the most power in the English Channel trade node, which is an end node, and should help you understand how much money trade can really make you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ELI PORTER posted:

Yeah it might be worth a restart then. It's pretty easy to get yourself into an attrition manpower trap if you're new to the Muscovy start. Especially in the first war, it's pretty key to be sparing with the use of your own armies and let your vassals do all the siege work. Once you've consolidated the Russian minors things get a bit easier.

What all have you conquered so far? Pretty much any Sunni lands in the area will be purely a drain on your resources (the gold province in Baskiria being an exception), and it's much better to just smash Kazan and The Great Horde with the Humiliation CB for the sweet sweet 100 Monarch Points from Show Strength, up until you have Religious ideas first.

The much better target is Lithuania, with all of their same culture same religion lands, but if they take the PU with Poland that can often be a non-starter.

Diplomacy wise, keep an eye on Sweden, they make a good ally if only so that Poland won't. The Ottomans can actually make for a great choice as well if you're willing to throw historicity to the winds.