Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I keep forgetting there are English voices as a possibility. Are they all deep voiced men screaming LU BU!!! Etc?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does 3 Kingdoms play closer to Shogun 2 or Warhammer? Does it also have the endgame problem that Warhammer has where one or two nations become superpowered and furball out of control?

It's kinda its own thing, it's probably closer to shogun but only because it has the same fragile rock paper scissors combat except its like... Wood v metal v Chinese elements stuff.
Melee infantry is a lot less dominant though and it's more cav and ranged focused.

The campaign layer is unique, they really massively improved on ThroB, which I was worried about as a starting point cause I hate ThroB lol.
It's not much like warhammer or shogun at all on the campaign layer.
Instant recruiting, one building minor settlements, big ol emphasis on diplomacy which is VASTLY improved.
Now when I get in trouble I hit the diplomacy screen first and foremost and throw horses at people I want to gently caress off.

The combat is closer to shogun but has a lot of unique elements, I never ever play romance anymore though so I dunno a lot about the hero duel poo poo. Charge reflect owns though and is new, cavalry will basically murder itself instantly if it accidentally charges some braced halberds instead of just getting bogged down.

Also imo it is THE best game in terms of carnage just from the cavalry charges. Better than minotaurs in warhammer. Strong cav that catches infantry on the move or from the right angle will just go straight through them and out the other side.
Records mode rules for this since basically every lord becomes a super heavy cav unit that scales in size with their green skill line, so guan yu becomes an unbreakable terror squad with like 120 horsemen while zhang feis infinite stamina means half their flank has been killed in skirmishes with him before they get to you. This balances out by making them much more vulnerable to missile firepower.

E endgame is improved by being built up for the whole game towards 3 factions becoming Kings and fighting it out, sometimes you aren't one of them and you gotta do some subterfuge to claim a throne.

But imo its let down by the territory requirement at the end, if you haven't expanded enough you defeat your rivals then have to do a boring slog to collect enough territory to end the game. Vassals count towards it though so it's not too bad but it hurts you if you've built tall and not made many friends.

The biggest improvement on shogun imo is no loving navies attacking you every 10 seconds.

Oh also the campaign AI is the best it's ever been in terms of actually being willing to fight you, though shoguns is fine as this too. Warhammers is really, really bad on this front.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I've 180'ed on the DLC, really enjoying it now playing as the Han. The politics system is pretty fun, especially now that I'm having to juggle Dynasty control given my diplomacy is starting to tank.

People are right that it's piss easy though. I'm doing legendary and so far so smooth, doubly so since I'm about to unlock the replenishment tech so I can go wild with the Imperial Army.

Anyone played Han and picked the option to have the Emperor die? I'm assuming that leads to Dong Zhuo seizing the capital.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there isn't anything in the patch notes. but can anyone speak to whether the ai is any better at recruiting cavalry and moving it around on the battlefield? this has been my main turn off about 3k so far: the ease of out-flanking and totally routing dozens of underdeveloped armies. enemy generals in 1.3 realism mode didn't seem to think they were even cavalry and would constantly let me surround them and dictate terms of engagement.

Zane fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 21, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Anyone played Han and picked the option to have the Emperor die? I'm assuming that leads to Dong Zhuo seizing the capital.

Speaking of, I'm playing as Dong Zhuo, got the mission to march to Luoyang's region, then nothing more for several turns.

Is there supposed to be a follow up mission?

Is there a list of all story missions?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I'm through about 60 turns with Dong Zhuo. IIRC it goes March on Luoyang > Capture Emperor Liu Bian and replace him with Liu Xie (or let him flee) > normal regency events. Empress He and the deposed Liu Bian stay in your court (rather than being poisoned by Dong historically), and once Liu Bian was of age he became a normal vanguard.

I don't know if there are any events that move Lu Bu into Dong's faction though I did get the chance to recruit him normally. After that I didn't get any followup events before Lu Bu left to to start his own faction.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
Played on release and came back based on the patch notes and MoH, any advice on who to play? I never felt very good at 3K but do well at WH2. Should I switch off romance mode? The generals felt weird to use back in the day, like I wasn't quite sure what to do with them despite one unit entities being common in Warhammer.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Geckoagua posted:

Played on release and came back based on the patch notes and MoH, any advice on who to play? I never felt very good at 3K but do well at WH2. Should I switch off romance mode? The generals felt weird to use back in the day, like I wasn't quite sure what to do with them despite one unit entities being common in Warhammer.

Romance mode generals are basically WH2 lords. Your legendary lords can often solo entire units with ease, the more generic characters are slightly more vulnerable but still wrecking balls. I like Liu Bei's start in MoH. You start very very small, with no land and a single retinue. You get some easy battles and basic quests that lead up to you getting 3 badasses and an exciting front-lines placement. Or ignore the quests and just gently caress off to wherever you want, you're basically a horde until you settle

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Romance/Records is personal preference. I like the duel system of Romance more than I like generals becoming extremely heavy cavalry in Records, but they both have their pros and cons.

For just starting back up I like Cao Cao in MoH. He starts without any lands and you run around doing different missions in service of the Han Empire, then you get a dilemma to either take new lands in Chen (where he starts in the base game) or you can take over your father's commandery in the south and expand down there. The former is relatively close to the front lines, the latter is very far away but has access to some great commanderies (swordsmiths, armorsmiths, etc). Liu Bei has a similar start in terms of being landless and doing missions to start, but he is right on the front lines when the Yellow Turban Rebellion breaks out so it can be tough. I haven't given the Emperor a real try yet but it seems interesting, you're essentially trying to hold the empire together despite extreme negative income and political schemers, but the imperial army will roll over anyone in battle. Yellow Turban start is also pretty fun. I had a hard time getting things off the ground in the one campaign I tried because the imperial factions just send stack after stack at you, but they're a nice change of pace from the other factions.

One thing I didn't realize the first time I played a campaign as a Han faction - when the empire is still alive you can declare a feud on other imperial factions. This allows you to go to war with them without leaving the empire/your other allies. I didn't pay attention to that the first go around and I ended up sitting around for like 20 turns until the empire fell apart.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As the Han, it's too easy to solve your food problems by downgrading your cities. But who ever heard of an emperor willingly choose to make his capital less massive or less opulent. They should put a massive penalty for downgrading settlements at King and Emperor ranks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Geckoagua posted:

Big change to heroes since release - if they charge into braces Spears/Polearms they will get dismounted for the rest of the battle. I’d stick with romance mode, the game is pretty clearly designed around it.

When in doubt about what to do with heroes - stick them with your cav. And duel away

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

As a tip for the Han, buy Liu Chong's farmlands to the east of Luoyang turn 1. That solved my food situation immediately, even before assignments/administrators came into play.

Won my Han legendary game by turn 63. Overall neat, game was most fun when all three brothers were around so there were constant tough battles on all fronts. Eventually they got worn down though, and it became a standard boring doomstack slog in the final fifteen turns.

Campaign would have benefited from harsher starting penalties, making it more difficult to oust the Eunuchs (effectively waiting every two turns to press a button without consequence isn't very engaging), and maybe moving Gong Du's rebel forces to Chang An/your immediate west. Right now it's too easy to stabilise and make a collective front against the Turbans, would have been nice to fight in areas that weren't just north of the Yellow River.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 21, 2020

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
With Liu Hong at the start of the game, you can just Request Aid from 5 Bureaucrats which will piss everybody off (but especially the Bureaucrats). Then just promote the guys you want to keep (e.g. The Empress, He Jin, Yuan Shao) until they have more than 20 satisfaction and the rest will rebel and leave your court.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know what it is about the UI in this game but I really don't care for it. It just feels like I'm hovering to read too much and the interface seems overly busy. Coming from WH2 where everything is relatively easy to digest at a glance its really offputting and I find myself annoyed more often than not when I sit down to play this. Is this just an adjustment thing where I need to suck it up?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I find the 3K battle display easier to read with the hero portraits and big flashing icons whenever an effect or formation becomes active, and once you've played for a while you'll know immediately what each icon means. The campaign map is about the same; locking it to permanent daytime makes it easier to read at a glance. Individual character information is somewhat annoying since there are four separate screens to check: equipment, court position, family tree, relationships.

Update on Dong Zhuo 182 campaign: I restarted and did get the Lu Bu recruitment quest this time -- it seems to be contingent on Ding Yuan's faction still being alive in 188 (he's sandwiched between Yellow Turbans and Black Mountain bandits and was wiped out too quickly last time, but this time he still had one settlement), and you annex the faction through the quest. He doesn't come with Red Hare though, even if you give it up in the dilemma, and has the -72 satisfaction from wanting a court position which he doesn't in the 190 start.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know what it is about the UI in this game but I really don't care for it. It just feels like I'm hovering to read too much and the interface seems overly busy. Coming from WH2 where everything is relatively easy to digest at a glance its really offputting and I find myself annoyed more often than not when I sit down to play this. Is this just an adjustment thing where I need to suck it up?

I think the overall interface presentation is better... EXCEPT for the unit stat panel, which is poo poo. The one that pops up in Warhammer when you press i in battles is a million times better than 3k.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I think the overall interface presentation is better... EXCEPT for the unit stat panel, which is poo poo. The one that pops up in Warhammer when you press i in battles is a million times better than 3k.

Yeah holy poo poo is it incomprehensible. I like the way they moved missile block to a skill that can scale with veterancy instead of just being a static shield, but the interface is so bad for unit cards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Liu Bei opening on harder difficulties is so rear end in the DLC I'd question if it has even been play-tested.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The Liu Bei opening on harder difficulties is so rear end in the DLC I'd question if it has even been play-tested.

The more I play the dlc, the more I realize that everything is held together by string and is buggy as poo poo. It seems they rushed it out. I've encountered loads of small bugs that, while not game breaking, are annoying.

Like Yuan Shao is not supposed to leave so long as the Han haven't been deposed, but at some point, even if the mandate war is over, peace has been restored, and yuan shao is at 100 satisfaction, he will leave, take over Ye and then every imperial vassal will immediately declare war on him because he isn't part of the empire. I've seen this happen 3 times while playing as Liu Hong, Liu Chong and Lu Zhi. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like that.

Also, if you control Ye, he will ask for it and if you refuse he spawns a landless army and roams around until something kills him, at which point he respawns next to Ye and asks for it again and the cycle continues ad nauseam.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I'm out. Three failed attempts at the Liu Bao start. Just the combination of having to rush the objectives (not to end up getting crushed by one of the turbans as the mandate war triggers), the objectives being able to just dash way and delay you for turns (what the gently caress) and Liu Bao being the worst low-level general ever means I'm just out. This isn't fun, it requires cheesing everything super hard to even stand a chance and whomever thought this was ok should be fired.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

MiddleOne posted:

Ok I'm out. Three failed attempts at the Liu Bao start. Just the combination of having to rush the objectives (not to end up getting crushed by one of the turbans as the mandate war triggers), the objectives being able to just dash way and delay you for turns (what the gently caress) and Liu Bao being the worst low-level general ever means I'm just out. This isn't fun, it requires cheesing everything super hard to even stand a chance and whomever thought this was ok should be fired.

Turn down the difficulty. You are not ready :colbert:

I've been playing the defensive turban guy. It was a tough start and I restarted a few times but now it rules.

Disclaimer: I like challenge campaigns like Belegar in warhammer or Zheng Jiang in the vanilla 3k. Everyone has different tolerance levels for difficulty. It's okay to do other things.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

It was a pretty easy start on hard, if you mean Liu Biao :shrug:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Liu Biao's start is easy as hell. You start with a lucrative commerce-based city, there's only one yellow turban faction remotely near him when the mandate war triggers, his initial expansion guides you into Changsha which is a great commandery, and his initial enemy is a bunch of one-general armies of Looters which the other factions generally ignore. You can make up for him sucking at combat by hiring Guan Yu/Zhang Fei/Liu Bei if any of them have survived when Liu Bei inevitably gets wiped out in the the first few turns of the Mandate War

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Dramicus posted:

The more I play the dlc, the more I realize that everything is held together by string and is buggy as poo poo.

Agreed, while I overall like it, it feels incredibly rushed. Maybe with their Christmas break they didn't have the standard QA time?

Thankfully a lot of it feels like it can be patched into a better state.

The Yuan Shao bug is hilarious for keeping your diplomatic relations high though. Everyone really liked it when I kept beating him down over and over :v:

Slightly less funny is the Kong Rong bug that got brought up in this thread previously. Not sure exactly how, but he can turbo his starting city to Level 10 with maxed out buildings super fast, plus he gets access to end-game units early.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my biggest complaint about the DLC is I get excited early when it's like "ooh Zhang Ran and Kong Rong are available to recruit, that'll be a fun addition to my faction" and then a couple turns later a plot mechanic causes them to ditch me to start their own faction

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

What's doubly fun is when you kit Kong Rong out with a high-level retinue, only for him to take the whole thing with him when he leaves. Not even an option to swap him out with someone else, just suck it up and lose 7 units from your army straight away.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finished off my Dong Zhuo MoH campaign, conquered or vassalized every province by 210 except Yellow Turban Mountain Fortress which I could never get close to without being swarmed by a dozen armies at once.

I think I've figured out the weirdness around the "Dong Zhuo captures the emperor" event chain if you're playing as him. If you get there immediately after He Jin is assassinated, then you are allowed to annex Luoyang by event. If that happens, you do not have to fight any battles and can get Luoyang (and the Imperial army) for free, but your capital stays in Shuofang. If, on the other hand, you wait a while before going to Luoyang, then after completing that task you will not get any further events until you attack and capture Luoyang manually. When you finally do so, the rest of the event chain fires and your capital automatically moves to Luoyang.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So far as Zhang Liang I've fended off Dong Zhou, Kong Rong, Liu Biao, Liu Chong, Yuan Shu and Tao Qian. With the first two somehow getting caught and letting me execute them for that sweet sweet sword of his and the hilariously out-of-place Tyrant is dead cutscene.

Going through Lu Zhi first so I saw how to manipulate fervor was a godsend of useful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Liu Biao's start is easy as hell. You start with a lucrative commerce-based city, there's only one yellow turban faction remotely near him when the mandate war triggers

???

He starts with no cities and two full stack yellow turban armies possibly (largely up to RNG) in his questline path. All the city-holders in your path are allies and the entire point of the opening is that you're supposed to be a roaming army.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Tao qian seems really hard. is war with Cao Cao inevitable? I tried to make peace with him but he declared war, I won a few battles but eventually xiahou dun and friends overpowered su Fei and the bandit guy and that was that.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

MiddleOne posted:

???

He starts with no cities and two full stack yellow turban armies possibly (largely up to RNG) in his questline path. All the city-holders in your path are allies and the entire point of the opening is that you're supposed to be a roaming army.

Liu Biao and Liu Bei are different people (same family name). One is an old Han governor and the other is an idealistic warlord. Both are commanders that buff morale and missle block on shielded cavalry. Your initial post talks about Liu Biao being hard but I think you meant Liu Bei is hard.

Edit (for clarity): I am going to try a Liu Bei run soon.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 25, 2020

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gay Horney posted:

Tao qian seems really hard. is war with Cao Cao inevitable? I tried to make peace with him but he declared war, I won a few battles but eventually xiahou dun and friends overpowered su Fei and the bandit guy and that was that.

Never trust Cao Cao, come on man!

If you get some deals with him you can prolong the time until he backstabs you but he’s always gonna do it. You can try giving him some 1 food per turn, 100 gold a turn gift deals before war.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I've been holding off on 3K, despite being interested in it, but after seeing it not budge below 25% off in the last few steam sales, I guess I'll ask is it worth it/does it have as much replayability as TWW?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

I've been holding off on 3K, despite being interested in it, but after seeing it not budge below 25% off in the last few steam sales, I guess I'll ask is it worth it/does it have as much replayability as TWW?

From what I've read elsewhere since I've only played 3K: No. Unit variety between factions is lacking and there's not enough overall differences between the factions to completely alter the playstyle.

I've still found it fun enough for 500 hours though.

Oh, oh god that's 500 hours.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I seem to have played 200+ hours of base game 3K, in contrast to my 1500 hours of TW Warhammer gaming. What does worth it mean? Where do you draw the line at a worthwhile game? If you're a TW fan, you'll get your money's worth. If you're a longtime fan, you'll start to really think about how the 3K improvements could be implemented in other games.

Edit: If I didn't own ALL of the TW:Warhammer DLC, I could've easily see myself playing hundreds more hours of 3K games.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 25, 2020

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Eimi posted:

campaign is better, the factions are all mostly the same but there's more unit variety (with a lot of TWW factions being pretty much stuck in the stone even if there might be a couple more units) and the zany funstuff is restricted to your various lords (which every army gets three) being goku

if you value a good, sensible battle and a solid campaign then yea

if you want to have your army of zombie pirates who play out like an empire total war army going from archer heavy zombies to tumbling greenskins to the vermintide then no

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

The gameplay in 3K is less about military domination and more about diplomacy and strategy. You can still end with the usual doomstack dogpiles though.

There's very little of the asymetrical armies that TWW has but there is also a less grindy endgame. You could argue that 3K at it's core is better than vanilla TWW2 but warhammer has so many add-ons that it's content is much wider. On the flipside warhammer has a horrible geeky fanbase who decries every new thing as ignoring some bullshit that was in the lore X editions ago, the addition of any female characters/units(this is bad for all total wars though), faction reworks DELAYED!(boo-hoo-hoo), and etc.

Really, all the goodies in 3K would make TWW a much better game if they went in. The diplomacy and deals you pull off are dope. Trading food. regions and retinue is great. Allies can stick with you and enemies can turn into game-long friends. The inter faction drama is really rewarding. You have more options to achieve victory than killing everybody. TWW3, whenever that comes, could be the Big Kahuna of the bunch.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 25, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Perfect Twist posted:

Edit (for clarity): I am going to try a Liu Bei run soon.

Yup my bad. Good luck!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Total War: Age of Coups

Pax Americana expansion

a player is confused about which Bush they picked

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Total War: Age of Coups

Pax Americana expansion

a player is confused about which Bush they picked

The only good one was Jeb! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just wait until Trump Jr takes office.