Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Iirc it was more like the bespin cryogenics room but yeah I played the hell out of that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I put a lot of hours into The Phantom Menace, even going so far as to read the strategy guide and mess with all the cheat codes and Easter eggs.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

people dont seem to like jedi academy as much but it had more environments and cool setpieces like a speeder bike level

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I had that game as a kid, and I could never figure out how to take out the lightsaber.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is that the Masters of Teras Kai game? I always wanted to play that as a kid but none of us kids had a PS1

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

cuntman.net posted:

people dont seem to like jedi academy as much but it had more environments and cool setpieces like a speeder bike level

My unpopular opinion is that I prefer the Academy to Outcast even if the story and characters (that aren't Kyle) aren't as good.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I replayed Jedi Academy a couple years ago and felt that it held up pretty well. The rival character, Rosh I think? was super annoying, and the part where you briefly pilot an AT-ST really ran up against the limitations of the engine, but the final battle was especially epic. Has anybody messed with the Moviebattles mod for multiplayer? https://www.moviebattles.org/

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Empire at War is half a fantastic game and half a pile of dog poo poo. The space battles rule and the ground battles are a godawful boring slog.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Least favorite was the game boy (or game gear?) game where you start on tatooine as Luke, I guess and at one part you have to jump up and make your way through a sandcrawler. Never got much further than this because the game didn't let you save your progress so who knows how the story ends.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Super ESB and super ROTJ were kind of poo poo even if they had impressive individual levels (hoth level was ahead of its time) because they just totally changed style and difficulty level to level, no coherence at all

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

favorite: phantom menace for ps1. game is loving broken beyond belief. speedruns of it are hysterical. episode 1 podracing also good

least favorite: ehhh idk. lego star wars i guess. kinda boring

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Up Circle posted:

Least favorite was the game boy (or game gear?) game where you start on tatooine as Luke, I guess and at one part you have to jump up and make your way through a sandcrawler. Never got much further than this because the game didn't let you save your progress so who knows how the story ends.

The death star blows up

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

The death star blows up

uhh apoilers please??

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

VaultAggie posted:

Empire at War is half a fantastic game and half a pile of dog poo poo. The space battles rule and the ground battles are a godawful boring slog.

I only played it at a friends house and from what I remember the ground battles I would build up a massive force to attack and the AI would have built up a massive force as well and they would cancel eachother out and all die off and then I would just do it again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

alnilam posted:

uhh apoilers please??

Sorry, apologies.

The death star blows up

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Rogue Squadron and Rogue Squadron II kicked all kinds of rear end. I remember as a kid in elementary school I begged my parents for a GameCube just so I could play Rogue Squadron II, and was devastated when the local KMart went out of business and I thought that meant I was never going to get it. It's a real shame the third game didn't do ground missions very well, and it's an even greater shame that Factor 5 decided to put all their chips into Lair. :rip:

Other great games: KOTOR and KOTOR II. Narratively polar opposites, but both were fantastic experiences and managed to tell great stories in the Star Wars universe. (Still have yet to play the Restored Content Mod for II, unfortunately)

Also man I spent a LOT of time playing Star Wars Podracing on the N64 as a kid. Allegedly you can rig it with two N64 controllers so that you can fly while controlling each engine individually, but I have yet to do this myself.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Since no one has brought it up, yet, I'll say Jedi Power Battles. Not a story heavy game but, I played the hell out of it Dreamcast. Never could beat the game with Plo Koon.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also man I spent a LOT of time playing Star Wars Podracing on the N64 as a kid. Allegedly you can rig it with two N64 controllers so that you can fly while controlling each engine individually, but I have yet to do this myself.

Yep, it was hard as gently caress

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

I was going to post exactly this, I loved those space battles but everything else was just poo poo. I wish the Sins of a Solar Empire guys could make a Star Wars game

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow I don't even know where to begin. Jedi Knight was probably the one I got into the most and I made levels with my friend. So many hours dropped into that game. It was difficult to get multiplayer working but that was the case back then with networking computers.

Empire at War I still play. I have maybe 250 hours in it.

KOTOR was excellent and was one of the best of that type of RPG experiences I've had. I only played maybe 1/4th of KOTOR II.

I played Force Commander a bit but it was pretty wonky and that didn't last very long.

I liked the original Battlefront and played a lot of multiplayer with that one.

As someone mentioned Republic Commando had a great squad system and that one was pretty fun.

There are a bunch of others but the one that had the biggest impact on my life was X-Wing. That's what got me into computers in general. I remember playing it at like 10 years old for hours. Tie Fighter was one of the best sequels of all time. I had great fun with Alliance and again, getting the multiplayer to eventually work.

So many good memories and there are probably more I didn't mention or forgot about.

ItBreathes posted:

And the demo of dark forces.

:hmmyes:

Also this. I still have at least 2 copies of it. I eventually got the game and that was fun.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Sorry, apologies.

The death star blows up

The gently caress? What does it blow up? tatooine?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My friend got in trouble because we ate a bunch of his dad's special brownies he kept in the toolshed.

But before he got in trouble, I went home to play Dark Forces. A little 11 years old me, high off my rear end and not understanding what was happening for the first time, was very much NOT prepared to play the ice level where it was all just hearing loud murderbots crunch crunch crunching behind walls you couldn't see in sweet surround sound. It was pretty wild and left an impression on me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Dark Forces was just a revolution in level design, I'd never seen a game before that that did such a good job of throwing you around into such a range of different environments. They should make another non-Jedi based single player shooter. Maybe one where you play as the young Han Solo voiced by Ehrenreich, with a cameo or two by Don Glover.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's real, it's one of like three games you can do that with. The other two are Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Unlike those, which give you a modern-esque dual-analog control scheme, the dual-controller setup in Racer is to try to emulate the arcade game's control setup.

Racer whips rear end, I picked up the steam release during the sale.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Also I'm obliged by dark law to post this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzF5rHuLE38

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gadzuko posted:

I was going to post exactly this, I loved those space battles but everything else was just poo poo. I wish the Sins of a Solar Empire guys could make a Star Wars game

I think there's a Star Wars mod for it, I know there's a really extensive one for Halo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

KOTOR2 followed by KOTOR and also all the LEGO ones.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My love affair with Star Wars started with videogames. Namely X-wing, Tie Fighter, Rebel Assault / Rogue Squadron and Dark Forces. So 'my' Star Wars has always been about spaceships and smugglers and laser guns and I've always been disappointed when the prequels and now new movies have focused more and more on Jedi stuff. Not that I mind that stuff - it was just cooler when Jedi felt like something mystical and rare.

All that said, Fallen Order is probably the best Star Wars game since Republic Commando. It's really good.

Though I'm a weirdo that loved Battlefront 2015 and thought it captured the best parts of the original Battlefront mixed with Rogue Squadron flight mechanics. Never really got into the second one.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I actually didn't realise that the guys who made Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also did some sci-fi thing for the longest time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Isometric Bacon posted:

All that said, Fallen Order is probably the best Star Wars game since Republic Commando. It's really good.

Haven't even heard of this one. Looks neat after my 30 second search. I just put it on my wish list. I don't remember the last time I ever paid full price for a game.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Chairchucker posted:

I actually didn't realise that the guys who made Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also did some sci-fi thing for the longest time.

I think I read an interview with Tim Shafer where George Lucas told them to focus on original stuff, rather than Star Wars stuff, which allowed them to be super inventive and creative, making some of the most memorable games in history. This was also in the era where Star Wars was a footnote in past history.

Though cynical old version of me now realises this was probably something to do with Lucas' divorce settlements or royalties on the back end, because immediately after 10 years post Return of the Jedi they started selling all kinds of Star wars poo poo, including games.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

istewart posted:

I replayed Jedi Academy a couple years ago and felt that it held up pretty well. The rival character, Rosh I think? was super annoying, and the part where you briefly pilot an AT-ST really ran up against the limitations of the engine, but the final battle was especially epic. Has anybody messed with the Moviebattles mod for multiplayer? https://www.moviebattles.org/

Wow! I used to play this mod way back in the day when it was for Jedi Outcast. I'm pretty sure it was before Episode 3 so it must have been over 15+ years ago.

I remember the lightsaber combat being much better than the original game and the maps being cool to explore. I also remember lots of roleplayers who'd get angry if you didn't bow before you fought them, or saw their bow as a good opportunity to chop off their head.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Haven't even heard of this one. Looks neat after my 30 second search. I just put it on my wish list. I don't remember the last time I ever paid full price for a game.

It's basically Sekiro (stamina/parry based combat) mixed with Metroid and Uncharted and easier. It's not perfect but it's pretty great

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i really suck at fallen order because i can't seem to get parrying right, which is obviously a massive part of it

i've obviously haven't gotten far and there's been some enemies that i've only beaten because i was able to push them off ledges into bottomless pits

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
KoToR sustained and rewarded a growing love for western style RPGs that was burgeoning for me when it came out. Dark Forces/Jedi Knight are the only FPS games I would ever say I was good at, I played the gently caress out of those. That Mysteries of the Sith game I wanted to like, but somewhere on one of the levels I absolutely could not figure out where to go or what I was supposed to be doing, so I dropped it.

Phantom Menace I had on PC, and it was a trash game, make no mistake, but the cheat codes were GREAT. You could make it so the light machine gun style blaster shoot the same rounds the Droid Tanks did, which would result in an immediate and sometimes fatal frame rate drop.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

X-wing was great as a kid to play with a friend -- one person acting as pilot focusing on shooting targets with the joystick and the other acting as R2 / copilot managing the shields, weapons, and target selection for the mission objectives

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
2 pages and no mentions of shadows of the empire? what the fuckkk

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sonderval posted:

Rebellion/Supremacy is good but its no mother loving YODA STORIES!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Yoda_Stories

drat, Luuke you fukked up. Could have prevented episode 9 altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I unironically dug the ROTS movie video game. was like a brawler that had weird 1v1 saber fighting game battles with other lightsaber users. kinda played through the movie shifting between Anakin and Obi-wan. had very well done lightsaber combat