Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

cailleask posted:

Ever since my daughter did a runner in TSA at age 2 - and went UNDER all the dividers, and then screamed like she was being murdered upon being caught, I wear toddlers in the airport.

lmao

I mean, I'm terrified of the same thing happening to me, but at least I can laugh at your misfortune in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

cailleask posted:

Ever since my daughter did a runner in TSA at age 2 - and went UNDER all the dividers, and then screamed like she was being murdered upon being caught, I wear toddlers in the airport.

Oh god oh gently caress. I was so afraid this would happen on our trip last year.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We've been lucky so far that all airport travel with the kid has been as a family, so there's always one of us who can wrangle her while the other does shoes/bags/whatever. We'll see how that goes with #2...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BonoMan posted:

I feel like this is some weird movie where you're my slightly alternate universe self. We went through the same thing late last year and are kind of going through the resurgences you mention as well. Doc isn't really concerned about stuff (although we have a urologist appointment for circumcision adhesion) with his congestion and lungs sound fine. He's teething as well (and sleeps like loving poo poo) so that's what we're chalking it up to.

Well at least someone else is dealing with the same poo poo.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I mean we definitely laugh about it now, and luckily the airport wasn’t super busy at the time, and the TSA people were very understanding about it.

But also it was super ultra stressful and then we entered a bad stress feedback loop and she threw an EPIC meltdown right at the doorway to the plane and we were afraid they wouldn’t let us on. Everyone on the plane could hear her shrieks. We got a lot of LOOKS as we boarded because of course we were last on after all that drama.

So, yeah. Now I wear toddlers so they don’t have the chance to a) run or b) get so worked up.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

DaveSauce posted:

Downside is our carseat is massive. Been toying with the idea of getting a small/cheap one strictly for travel, just haven't done it yet. Also getting the car seat in the plane is a bitch, but doable and technically safer.

Get a Cosco Scenera if you need rearfacing or a Cosco Finale for a harnessed booster/booster. They weigh as much as a fart and are super easy to install. We travelled with both in August (at the time mine were almost 1 and 5) and we boxed up the Scenera similar to PP by making a franken box from moving boxes we bought at home depot. We plan on doing the exact same thing this August because it'll be a cold day in hell before I try flying with their cheavy rear end cleks.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

We flew with our giant Britax seat and used this overpriced thing. Our kid was super happy getting carted around in her baby throne so in hindsight I'm glad we got it and completely avoided any melt down potential. We used the seat on the plane once when she was still pretty small(Hauling it up and down the aisle was...hard) and then checked it at the gate another time, kind of got banged up when we checked it though. We're flying again in March and I'm pretty sure I could just attach whatever seat to it using LATCH so I might try using it with a lighter seat this time if I can make it work. Definitely not going to fly with the Britax seat again, just too heavy.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

M. Night Skymall posted:

We flew with our giant Britax seat and used this overpriced thing.

Yup, that's exactly what we use. The question was whether to continue with that (but with a smaller seat) or switch to a stroller like every other person we see in the airport. So far we've only seen 1 or 2 of those travel carts in the wild, so I was starting to think that there was a better way.

But after all the anecdotes, I'm leaning towards sticking with that + smaller seat.

Since we check our luggage, backpacks have been sufficient to carry any in-plane stuff we need so far so I think we're good.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

So my 15 month old had a pretty bad cold in October and it lasted 5-6 weeks with the coughing at night etc.

I thought he went a week or two sleeping soundly through the night but my wife disagrees. In any case, I think he caught another cold sometime in the past and he’s back to coughing at night during his sleep. Still sounds congested when taking a bottle and can’t seem to have much luck producing phlegm to cough up.

He sleeps on an incline but that doesn’t help, we’ve tried Benadryl, nada. We do a humidifier nightly and there’s nothing to suck out of his nose. It seems that it’s mainly in his chest. No fever or anything like that-he will just usually cough in his sleep for 5-10 minutes in the middle of the night, rarely waking himself up. He isn’t tugging his ears or anything to make it seem like an ear infection.

We’ve got his 15 month appointment next week, so we’ll check with the doctor then, I’m just curious if you guys think it could be anything else I’m missing. When we brought him to the doctor in November he had an ear infection which was fixed but the doctor said his lungs sounded fine. I think it was shortly after the antibiotics where I thought he was sleeping soundly through the night.

He’s teething non-stop as well, so my wife thinks that could be the cause of congestion too.

I don't know. Honestly stumped on this. The only thing I can think of is maybe build up of drool from teething? Also have a 15 month old and teeth are coming in like crazy, she's got bumps around her mouth from drooling so freaking much (her check up was yesterday and doctor said it's fine, if it bothers her or me to put a light amount of cortisone cream on it).

Right now in our house it's me coughing and waking myself up. :(

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Cosco umbrella stroller and cosco super lightweight car seat carried liked a backpack through the airport. This is how to affordably fly with a 2 year old.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Bill Brasky posted:

When did your babies start talking?

My 21 month old has some sounds, both mom and dad are dada, and says uhoh appropriately. The pediatrician didn’t think it was a problem at 18 months and that we shouldn’t think anything of it until the 24 month appt. The Dr did say we could seek early intervention if we felt like it. We made an appt for next month. I’m sure it’s fine but it’s hard to not compare her to her 20 month old cousin who is talking.
We did EI before then for most of my kids, and I think they all were getting speech services before that age. As to whether it matters in the end, I have no idea. I had some pretty severe speech issues as a kid so we may be over-sensitive to it.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
It's taken a little bit, but she's got the pouch thing down now. Those toppers are great. No more pouch volcanoes. I have been sick all week, so today is extra miserable being the only caregiver and trying not to get close. Being able to just hand her a pouch for snack is awesome.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Alternative childproofing idea needed.

Grandma has a door that leads to some stairs. We added one of the Safety1st lever door locks but realised that it would block access from both sides if it was engaged. I wasn't comfortable leaving it in place as it could stop egress during a fire.

Kind of a conflict of safety needs. Any other ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
First, verify that there's actually an issue. For modern lever handles, each side moves independently from the other, so blocking one side doesn't mean that the other side can't move. I don't know if this is true for older lever handles, though.

As for alternatives:

Door monkey:

https://www.amazon.com/DOOR-MONKEY-Door-Pinch-Guard/dp/B004ECJWK4

Top door lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Child-Proof-Deluxe-Door-Lock/dp/B012BR4TGA

I have neither used nor seen anyone use either, so I cannot personally endorse them. However they are mentioned on Lucie's List so I guess they're probably OK.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Grandma has a door that leads to some stairs. We added one of the Safety1st lever door locks but realised that it would block access from both sides if it was engaged. I wasn't comfortable leaving it in place as it could stop egress during a fire.

Use the ones that swing up and down, they are designed to give way with a certain amount of force. We have these and they work well, unless you have a really strong and determined toddler. Easily unlocked and swung away from door:

Upgraded Door Lever Lock... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBHWWND?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

First, verify that there's actually an issue. For modern lever handles, each side moves independently from the other, so blocking one side doesn't mean that the other side can't move. I don't know if this is true for older lever handles, though.

I found out the hard way after installation. Had removed it.

However, I did take the spirit of what you said and tried something else. Turns out this particular privacy lock door handle can have the button lock engaged with the door open, then the door closed (i.e. toddler defences side locked) and then reopened using the pinhole. No special hardware required.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sigh... left out my clippers to charge the batteries... Later that day I hear my SO scream and I find the twins and some hair on the floor. One twin tried to cut the other.... We just saw some patches of hair on the floor first but couldn't see where from, thought maybe we got lucky and it doesn't show. But no now we see one kid has a bald spot in the middle of the head, rest of his hair covered it up. So one of my kids sports a combover at age 6. I am thinking of cutting off all his hair but it's so short, and it's winter. Maybe if I give it a week... Sigh.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's just hair, nobody will care about it especially on a little one. Gives you a funny story to tell, don't stress it.

Comedy option, shave the same spot on the other twin so they match again!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:hmmyes:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband's first grade photo looks goofy because the day before picture day he convinced everyone at their table grouping to cut their front hair.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Alternatively, shave the negative design onto the other one so that one has a small bald spot and the other is bald with a small spot of hair.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sigh... left out my clippers to charge the batteries... Later that day I hear my SO scream and I find the twins and some hair on the floor. One twin tried to cut the other.... We just saw some patches of hair on the floor first but couldn't see where from, thought maybe we got lucky and it doesn't show. But no now we see one kid has a bald spot in the middle of the head, rest of his hair covered it up. So one of my kids sports a combover at age 6. I am thinking of cutting off all his hair but it's so short, and it's winter. Maybe if I give it a week... Sigh.

I'm a twin and I gave my brother a haircut (with scissors) when we are about 8. He ended up getting all of his hair cut short to match, while I rocked the longer hair for a while. Made it easy to tell us apart for a while.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Heners_UK posted:

When my 3 year old started opening the door to my office, we installed a child safety cabinet lock from the door to the molding set at my head level.

If he's really determined, I guess he could give the door a good yank and break it, but we're definitely going to hear it. Similarly, if I was somehow locked in the office it would be easy to push with only a small amount of force to break it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

I found out the hard way after installation. Had removed it.

However, I did take the spirit of what you said and tried something else. Turns out this particular privacy lock door handle can have the button lock engaged with the door open, then the door closed (i.e. toddler defences side locked) and then reopened using the pinhole. No special hardware required.

I was going to suggest that you remove the door and replace it with a child gate, but I guess this makes sense too.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
So I've been really miserable for a little bit, so much coughing. Cough all day, cough all night. Coughing so hard I throw up. Nothing really helped (have not had a fever this whole time). Had labs drawn, chest scan, and throat swab Thursday. No one called me Thursday or Friday. Figured no news is good news, right? Well today I still didn't feel great. Called upstairs to my doctor (we are in the same building) to ask about labs. Wasn't there, left a message. The nurse calls me back, at work, instead of the cell phone number I left. Kinda weird but OK. She asks how I'm feeling. I say not too great, I still feel like crap. She then says "Well, you don't feel well because you have pertussis"

EXCUSE ME?! I HAVE A 15 MONTH OLD!!! WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS THURSDAY WHEN THE LABS CAME BACK (ALSO IN THE SAME BUILDING) !!!!!! Livid with this woman. Absolutely livid. Then I find out why she called me at my work extension -- I need to go home and I'm not allowed back until Feb 1st. I need to go down to employee health and let them know. Oh and I'm the 2nd case they have diagnosed this week. So now the infection control officer is getting involved. Which is probably a good thing because all my close coworkers are sick.

Cut to me scrambling at work to get FMLA submitted, get home, pick husband up so he can go inside and get daughter so we can take her to urgent care to get her checked out because now I'm freaking out that she's possibly got it. All 3 of us current on vaccination, but somehow I still have this nightmare. She had been coughing over the weekend but I've been listening to it to make sure she wasn't barking like a seal or whooping.

Urgent care doesn't think she has it because she's not showing signs, but we are starting the z pack until results come back just in case. And another antibiotic because they looked at her ears and she has double ear infection. So at least the trip caught the ear infection. I did call her doctor ASAP because I was in there with her last Wednesday and wanted to let them know. He wanted her to start the z pack and put in a script for it, but I took her to urgent care because I really wanted to make sure, it doesn't seem like she does.

Rough freaking day. I hope none of you ever get this, or your children. At least I know now why I've been so miserable. I went to work alllll last week like this (except Friday, when I couldn't take anymore and called in sick) and somehow still alive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That sucks. Vaccinations can fail to take for a variety of reasons (it's not a huge thing, but it does happen), which might be what happened in your case.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That sucks. Vaccinations can fail to take for a variety of reasons (it's not a huge thing, but it does happen), which might be what happened in your case.

And the pertussis vaccine only provides immunity for a short period of time...in decreases year over year and by 5 years or so the protection is almost entirely gone. It's not a very long lasting one.

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 28, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well our 7 month old boy had adhesions on his penis from the circumcision. We had guessed it, but got referred to a urologist who basically said some boys get this little elastic style... gland/muscle/something on their penis when they're born that can cause it to retract further into the fat pad than most (but we only had a light case of it), this causes the circumcised foreskin to adhere more easily as the retraction can cause the foreskin to fold back up and over the penis for long periods of time.

He fixed it by just forcing it back down. It had been like adhesed for 6 months so it's just nice raw skin under there. Lord. Baby didn't cry but looked briefly uncomfortable. We followed it up with two immunizations also scheduled for the day. Hep B and the flu vaccine part 2.

So of course in the middle of the night he spikes a 104 fever. We gave him some tylenol and got it down to nearly 100. He had some fussyness and discomfort but otherwise, even at 4 am with a 104, would smile and be playful so we're hoping it was just a fever spike caused by his body saying "dude what the gently caress man give me a break."

Takin' him to the doc this morning

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My (vaccinated) family had pertussis this fall. I had a mild but persistent cough and my five year old had maybe 2-3 days of what SEEMED like croup. My two year old was coughing with a classic whoop for more than a month, and it took 3 doctor trips and 8 days to get him diagnosed. In that time we went to: a baseball game, swimming many times with disabled children, a baby shower, and who knows where else. He didn’t fully recover for two months at least. Watching him struggle to breathe was horrendous and one of the worst experiences of my parenting life.

I know for sure we infected two other people.

We were on lockdown for five days and they required EVERYONE who had had even moderate contact with the two year old to do a z-pack.

The good news is even if your little one has it, you’ve caught it so early you probably won’t have the long lingering damage that takes 30-60 days to heal from. Maybe not the best news for you, though. It sucks and I’m sorry you’re going through this! People need to goddamn vaccinate themselves and their kids.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Got her results just now. She is negative! I am so happy. But super sad I have to stay away from her until Saturday, when I'm done with the z pack. I want my baby hugs back :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't know they used z packs for whooping cough. Sucks I am allergic. Hopefully I never have to deal with it!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone else’s kid go through some kind of phase where they melted down over wanting something and were otherwise fine? I mean, totally fine and should be happy. Like, just ate a whole meal, said they were all done, then saw snack cup and/or water bottle on the counter and started losing their poo poo?

Probs just a phase, right?

Right?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Anyone else’s kid go through some kind of phase where they melted down over wanting something and were otherwise fine? I mean, totally fine and should be happy. Like, just ate a whole meal, said they were all done, then saw snack cup and/or water bottle on the counter and started losing their poo poo?

Probs just a phase, right?

Right?

Yeah probably. The feeling of desire and how to deal with it is a learned thing, almost like dealing with anger and whatever else. Imo, when they do that, DO NOT give them what they want, or risk teaching the wrong lesson.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah probably. The feeling of desire and how to deal with it is a learned thing, almost like dealing with anger and whatever else. Imo, when they do that, DO NOT give them what they want, or risk teaching the wrong lesson.

We are picking our battles, I figure if he is still hungry (he frequently wants out of his high chair before he’s really done eating) I don’t want to withhold food, but he knows there’s a snack time after breakfast. He wanted this snack cup only because he saw it and figured, “hey, that’s mine...”

He’s starting this new thing where when we even go to another room where he knows he has toys, he must gather a literal armful of toys, however many he can physically carry, and take them with him. He gives us a ton of poo poo if we try to take them away so we have to basically tell him over and over again to put them back and he eventually does, then goes and grabs them again.

It seems like a brand-new phase or leap he just started this week, melting down over nothing and turning on a dime to that from absolute contentment. He’s 21mo so didn’t think there were other “leaps” but guess there are. He’s not usually like this, so I’m thinking he’s trying to push our buttons because we don’t ever yell or scream at him, and our response to melt downs is “UH OH! Looks like someone needs time in his room to cool down! Do you want to walk or be carried?” So basically it feels like he knows some boundaries and is trying to explore some more and check our response. That’s my rationalization, anyway.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Anyone got any good discipline references that go by age?

Little one is just about 20 months and hoo boy is she getting wild. We've been working on not grabbing things away from people and asking please but shes been getting super defiant and harder to control or redirect. Also super clingy mommy phase to the point where mom isnt allowed to sleep in or go to the potty.

Appreciate any help trying to reach her on her level. Shes smart, so if I can just get her to understand that its okay if mom goes to the bathroom alone for 5 min or that something is dangerous and even if you say please Im not letting you put your hand in the stove flame. Least she learned that biting makes mom or dad go away.

I was raised with yelling and spanking and I dont want that to be in the toolbox but shes terrible two-ing and its frustrating to hit that tantrum wall.

Sorry, if Im rambling. Shes dropping a new pair of teeth and has been waking up 2-4 am and this night was my shift to help her back to sleep. Thanks.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
everyone should get a book called The Happiest Toddler On The Block

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Anyone got any good discipline references that go by age?

Little one is just about 20 months and hoo boy is she getting wild. We've been working on not grabbing things away from people and asking please but shes been getting super defiant and harder to control or redirect. Also super clingy mommy phase to the point where mom isnt allowed to sleep in or go to the potty.

Appreciate any help trying to reach her on her level. Shes smart, so if I can just get her to understand that its okay if mom goes to the bathroom alone for 5 min or that something is dangerous and even if you say please Im not letting you put your hand in the stove flame. Least she learned that biting makes mom or dad go away.

I was raised with yelling and spanking and I dont want that to be in the toolbox but shes terrible two-ing and its frustrating to hit that tantrum wall.

Sorry, if Im rambling. Shes dropping a new pair of teeth and has been waking up 2-4 am and this night was my shift to help her back to sleep. Thanks.

This is almost 100% exactly where my 20-21mo boy is now, for a second I even started to wonder if I wrote your post and forgot about it until I looked at your avatar and realized you're not me.

I think the mommy clingy phase ends (I hope), as a dad it's frustrating and they are extremely hard to control when the only thing on their mind is being in Mom's direct vicinity at all times. My wife, like yours (or you, not sure if you're Mom or Dad), cannot use the bathroom or even walk to the kitchen whilst staying in our son's sight without him dropping whatever he is doing and running behind her, whining. He got a little better about it then this week he started it again. For us, it's when my wife is working from home and the office is closed, he can't stand it and we have had to buy childproof door lever locks for this even though it's safe for him in there, to keep him from running in and talking and crying while she's on a conf call. If it makes you feel any better, though, when I do manage to keep him away from there and redirect him or whatever, he calms down eventually and forgets she's in there or something. But even after that God forbid I need to go into the office for something and Mom's in there.

Techniques we've been trying for behavior:
  • Crouching down to his height and speaking to him softly rather than yelling across room
  • Giving him choices and confining him to those choices. He can have one or the other and must choose, or it will be chosen for him. Any choices we give him have to be choices we can live with, and we don't threaten him with punishment. For example, if he's melting down it's time to go to his room to cool off, so the only choices he gets are to walk there or be carried. If he keeps crying and won't choose, we make it for him and pick him up. Same with eating or whatever else. Things you can control, not things you can't like whether or not they eat their food. This has been SLOWLY working...we don't want it to be fear-based, we want him to make choices and understand that if he makes a certain choice, what the consequences will be. So when he melts down, the consequence is he doesn't get to be near Mom or Dad, and if he really wants that he will stop and come out of his room when he's ready. If he doesn't want to eat, the consequences are that the next meal is dinnertime and he will be hungry, so if he doesn't want to be hungry he'll eat. What sucks is when he chooses not to, so he's hangry and making us miserable. But it's important that we stay calm during these times because if we show him he gets to us and can get a reaction out of us, we're hosed
  • Whispering to him instead of talking at a normal volume

Please understand we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing, we just know how we DON'T want to parent, and we don't want to yell or scream either unless he's about to do something dangerous. Amazingly since we started the choices thing, he's been insanely more affectionate toward me, because I grew up with the same thing you did and it's a loving battle to not operate that way because it's almost a reflex, and it seemed to affect him which breaks my heart. He still gives way less of a gently caress about my existence than he does my wife's, but at least there's a gently caress, somewhere, he sometimes gives about me. Also he acts differently with each of us individually than he does when it's all three of us for some reason.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We've found it effective to make sure that any consequences of his actions are directly related to his behavior and easy to understand. Like, if he eats chalk, he gets the choice to eat it and have it taken away or to stop eating it and continue playing. Not "if you don't stop hitting the dig with that paper towel tube, I'll take your toy truck away", because how does that make any sense? Learning about "direct consequences to my actions" is important and has helped a lot.

That said, he's 19 months old and a gigantic mother fucker, so ymmv

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

rt4 posted:

everyone should get a book called The Happiest Toddler On The Block

Can't you just bottom-line it for me? I have kids, I don't have time to read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Can't you just bottom-line it for me? I have kids, I don't have time to read!

Just lol if you don't have Enrique read it to you