Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

0.8 per month prestige loss is completely inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Quick opinion poll, Imperial Elective succession is just the best one right? I know it's Roman only, but having finished that game and getting back into the normal ones, it's tough not seeing it as all-advantages.

HRE is just as good I think, because all you have to do is bribe the arch-bishops and you're set.

Of course, if you've grown the Empire well, Imperial is still better because you'll have so many more options from your dynasty to pick from.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, how does the cost increases for having too many wonders work?

I own the
Hagia Sophia - 8 features
Great Pyramid of Khufu - 6 features
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus - 5 features
Lighthouse of Alexandria - 5 features
Apostolic Palace - 5 features

New features in the Apostolic Palace cost significantly extra, but features in the Great Pyramid do not. How does that work?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
New dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-10-lifestyle-events

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
As one can see, the Empress has greatly strengthened the Empire's presence in upper Mesopotamia and Palestine.

However despite the center of Orthodox Christianity being the most powerful state in the world by far, MA struggles to stay above 60% because the Norsemen are on a rampage, burning churches the world over. Even I have a hard time stopping them from burning Byzantine churches on the outskirts of the Empire. The western kingdoms are completely helpless before them, and Eastern Francia has fallen to Lollardism.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sounds like you need to holy war more

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Various Meat Products posted:

Sounds like you need to holy war more

Or better yet, flip to Hellenism and join in on the church burning!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Neurion posted:

Ending the Schism is just the pregame for bringing back Hellenism. Afterall the heretic catholics can't crusade against you, and Orthodox only gets one holy order instead of the clown car that is Catholicism. :v:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neurion posted:

Ahistorical nonsense.

And now the wonder features cost way less than normal! WHY?

What causes these price swings?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pretty happy with what I've seen so far from ck3.

Charlz Guybon posted:

And now the wonder features cost way less than normal! WHY?

What causes these price swings?

Have you moved your capital? The Construction tech will reduce the amount of time to build wonders, as well as the cost. I know the Architect trait will as well, there might be additional traits that change the speed/cost.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I think “lifestyle” is too modern-sounding a word to use in a medieval context, and diplomacy and stewardship aren’t lifestyles. But I’m still hyped.

What’s the most interesting thing to do with Arpad Zoltan in the iron century? This is my first pagan start.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steely Dad posted:

I think “lifestyle” is too modern-sounding a word to use in a medieval context, and diplomacy and stewardship aren’t lifestyles. But I’m still hyped.

What’s the most interesting thing to do with Arpad Zoltan in the iron century? This is my first pagan start.

Keep him in the engine room so that system will stay powered. Don't use him as a pilot because that room doesn't need power at all, and it'd just be a waste.

Also he's only got 70 health, so watch out if you get boarded, he's not great for combat.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I think I’m going to need to tech up first.

Also, what’s good with tengri in general, not just this dude?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you're a nomad for the first maybe 100 years of the game you will destroy literally everyone. They will eventually be able to beat you, so use your time as horselord either to reduce them to dust or pick where you want to settle. Nomad settling is super op too if you have a huge enough pastureland, as they will flip culture/religion based on your population. So conquer the steppes pick your new homeland and then use invasion to get it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I don’t have horse lords, so I think I’m stuck being tribal. So far I’ve just been picking off counties here and there, but it’s hard to convert them because Tengri MA is low and the holy sites are all off in Asia and tough for me to reconquer. Is Tengri a bit kneecapped if you don’t have HL?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

binge crotching posted:

Pretty happy with what I've seen so far from ck3.

Have you moved your capital? The Construction tech will reduce the amount of time to build wonders, as well as the cost. I know the Architect trait will as well, there might be additional traits that change the speed/cost.

Capital is Constantinople as always.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Steely Dad posted:

I don’t have horse lords, so I think I’m stuck being tribal. So far I’ve just been picking off counties here and there, but it’s hard to convert them because Tengri MA is low and the holy sites are all off in Asia and tough for me to reconquer. Is Tengri a bit kneecapped if you don’t have HL?

Unreformed pagans basically cannot convert except through supreme luck. You want to conquer three or more of your holy sites and reform your faith to be able to do so. If your neighbors are tribal too this shouldn't be too bad but if they are nomad I'm not sure what to do in that case because that's a really bad matchup. Though you can probably expand away from them. So as a tribal lord your steps are either reform your faith, or convert to a reformed faith. From there you want to raise your tribal authority and then switch to Feudalism. This requires a bit of cash so use raiding to get it. Make sure you have a non same faith neighbor as a bank. Also abuse tribute cb if you have it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Steely Dad posted:

I think it's a persistent problem with Paradox devs knowing English (so they develop in English instead of hiring translators) but rarely being native speakers themselves. I'm like that too and I often see how clumsy some of my phrases came out. That's why there are plenty of very vague or clumsy terms in their games. E.g. all those monarch points irritate players cause they're even called like something from a videogame. And a lot of terms are just overlapping, like prestige, legitimacy, piety, fervor, power projection and so on.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
"calling" would have been better than "lifestyle"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Eh, I don't think there's anything wrong with using anachronistic words for the sake of clarity. There's always a balance in historical fiction between portraying the time period appropriately without being unreadable to a modern audience. Characters in Wolf Hall don't speak like Tudor-era people would have spoken, but rather like you imagine they would have spoken.

Especially in a game where you need to instruct the player on rules and gameplay elements, I think using more contemporary language is fine.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

when i reformed germanic i made the fylkir an independent vassal for excommunications and ancestor bloodlines and gave him some land in pommerania, now he's declaring war for a county in sri lanka

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Did my first succesful king run, trounced whoever owned the rest of Norway and now Harald Fairhair can, uh, cut his hair :black101:

Two problems: My kingdom runs on agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, my other titles on successive gavelkind, I got 'lose titles on succession' alerts cropping up, and I'm getting old and infirm. How do I secure stuff holding together when I kick it?

(I don't have holy fury, so I can't reform paganism)

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

If you really want to keep everything consolidated, find an Islamic woman for a deathbed conversion by concubine. Or imprison and execute all your extra heirs. :cool:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tias posted:

Did my first succesful king run, trounced whoever owned the rest of Norway and now Harald Fairhair can, uh, cut his hair :black101:

Two problems: My kingdom runs on agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, my other titles on successive gavelkind, I got 'lose titles on succession' alerts cropping up, and I'm getting old and infirm. How do I secure stuff holding together when I kick it?

You don't need holy fury to reform. It's a base feature of old gods. You just might not get the ability to customize the religion.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Tias posted:

Setting aside gamey and inauthentic religious conversions, this is a feature of playing tribal. Unless you have only one son, your lands will be divided under gavelkind. You need to reform to feudal by upgrading your county holdings, then get your Legalism tech high enough to choose primogeniture. It could feasibly take 3-4 generations to get all that especially if you’re a new player. Don’t forget to raid as often as your refreshed levies will allow it. That’s what speeds up your income to upgrade your holdings.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Eimi posted:

Unreformed pagans basically cannot convert except through supreme luck. You want to conquer three or more of your holy sites and reform your faith to be able to do so. If your neighbors are tribal too this shouldn't be too bad but if they are nomad I'm not sure what to do in that case because that's a really bad matchup. Though you can probably expand away from them. So as a tribal lord your steps are either reform your faith, or convert to a reformed faith. From there you want to raise your tribal authority and then switch to Feudalism. This requires a bit of cash so use raiding to get it. Make sure you have a non same faith neighbor as a bank. Also abuse tribute cb if you have it.

I was hoping to avoid being yet another Catholic king, but I also don’t want to have to reverse-Genghis my way out past the Urals just to reform my religion. Guess I’ll try another start.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

it's too late for you to pursue reforms to your inheritance law, which you would have to do as a reformed pagan (or convert) and as a feudal ruler

welcome to the gavelkind thunderdome, in which you do not keep your kingdom secure before death, you re-secure it after death when your new ruler subjects his brothers and sisters to the rightful authority of a true pagan king

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Eh, I ain't even mad. They will know the power of my sword!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tias posted:

Call an Irishman over in the next generation to educate your kids into being Irish, then reform into Tanistry until you can get Primo or Ultimo-geniture (flavor to choice). If your vassals don't like you and won't vote for your chosen successor, then vote for someone you don't like and they'll pick someone else. Just keep an eye on the succession.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

I think it's a persistent problem with Paradox devs knowing English (so they develop in English instead of hiring translators) but rarely being native speakers themselves. I'm like that too and I often see how clumsy some of my phrases came out. That's why there are plenty of very vague or clumsy terms in their games. E.g. all those monarch points irritate players cause they're even called like something from a videogame. And a lot of terms are just overlapping, like prestige, legitimacy, piety, fervor, power projection and so on.

The non-english versions often have some really dire translations, or so I've heard. I've watched a few streamers play in french and those seem fine but apparently german and spanish tend to being so awful that everyone just plays in english.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Eh, I don't think there's anything wrong with using anachronistic words for the sake of clarity. There's always a balance in historical fiction between portraying the time period appropriately without being unreadable to a modern audience. Characters in Wolf Hall don't speak like Tudor-era people would have spoken, but rather like you imagine they would have spoken.

Especially in a game where you need to instruct the player on rules and gameplay elements, I think using more contemporary language is fine.

I've been playing with a mod called Nomina Vera recently and it's convinced me to agree with this take. I still like the mod though. For the life of me I can't figure out the etymology of "hussonr" for a norse prince.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tanistry kicks rear end because i deeply like the thematic challenge of aged kindly uncle donnchad inheriting the kingdom in a fit of random family politics

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

As a Viking, conquest feudal lands. Give your heir a castle. a useless Barony or something. Now your heir is Feudal. You skip going up the legal/reform bullshit. Somewhere warm in the Mediterranean. Raid, build up your tribal counties to stone hill forts. Your heir will be able to flip counties to castles once he takes over.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

eldership is fun, especially if you land a bunch of family and grant them independence to burn threat and they become king of france or whatever, you can succeed into their titles by making them your heir

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

winterwerefox posted:

As a Viking, conquest feudal lands. Give your heir a castle. a useless Barony or something. Now your heir is Feudal. You skip going up the legal/reform bullshit. Somewhere warm in the Mediterranean. Raid, build up your tribal counties to stone hill forts. Your heir will be able to flip counties to castles once he takes over.

you can also build up a tribal holding as the top level building on a feudal county. really good source for heavy infantry while you're still taking advantage of tribal mechanics, like settling. you can always upgrade later.

send in the steward, stay viking. don't let your kids turn into useless normans!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just noticed I can't create the Kingdom of Hungary without being Hungarian or an Avar, and these hideous Serbian and Croatian borders are killing me.

Is my only chance to fix this is move the capital a province with Hungarian culture, convert to Hungarian and then create it?

I think there only five or six counties left with that and my vassals already control them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just noticed I can't create the Kingdom of Hungary without being Hungarian or an Avar, and these hideous Serbian and Croatian borders are killing me.

Is my only chance to fix this is move the capital a province with Hungarian culture, convert to Hungarian and then create it?

I think there only five or six counties left with that and my vassals already control them.

If you want pretty borders, a long-term project is to de jure drift everything under one primary title. You can do this by destroying all your kingdom titles except one, and eventually it will all just be that kingdom. This doesn't work if you're gavelkind though, since gavelkind doesn't allow you to destroy titles (and will automatically create ones you should have on succession, to prevent you from trying to cheat it).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you want pretty borders, a long-term project is to de jure drift everything under one primary title. You can do this by destroying all your kingdom titles except one, and eventually it will all just be that kingdom. This doesn't work if you're gavelkind though, since gavelkind doesn't allow you to destroy titles (and will automatically create ones you should have on succession, to prevent you from trying to cheat it).

I am the Emperor of the Romans. :colbert:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://store.steampowered.com/app/226667/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Sons_of_Abraham/

Meanwhile Sons of Abraham is free to keep.

I thought they'd give away DLCs in order of release but I now see that the first DLC Sword of Islam only was free for a limited amount of time and they skipped Legacy of Rome - a DLC that actually added one of the most important features in all DLCs, retinues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226667/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Sons_of_Abraham/

Meanwhile Sons of Abraham is free to keep.

I thought they'd give away DLCs in order of release but I now see that the first DLC Sword of Islam only was free for a limited amount of time and they skipped Legacy of Rome - a DLC that actually added one of the most important features in all DLCs, retinues.

Well, skipping LoR is probably intentional, since as you mention, it contains one of CK2's most important features. I wouldn't be surprised if Old Gods, Way of Life and Holy Fury never become free to keep, either.